[Mini Guide] SL working on Gigabyte G41M-ES2L

iRobie

934 posts in this topic

Hi, :)

got back late last night, i'll try your Q6600 DSDT and let you know how it works today.

However, 2 things:

1- My pstate must have changed because i noticed that running the Q6600 @3ghz (instead of 3.06ghz..which hits the board's fsb wall) gives me big room to lower the cpu voltage and keep temps down. it actually seems to run flawlessly around 1.23v set in bios (gives 1.21v mesasured by bios pc health).

I don't know if this changes the dsdt you posted but i guess it should.

2- More important i realized that this pstate thing is related to speedstep and that speedstep is in fact EIST, am I wrong ?

My CPU EIST function is disabled in the bios, is this bad ?

Edit: here is the attachment of my actual pstate setting, only the first column has changed, the voltage for each state is the same, i guess it must be updated via DSDT

But, there is still something i don't understand: Is my cpu really running at different speeds , and thus 1,28v at full speed and 1,16 when idle ??

This would override the bios where I have set a fixed 1,23v in the vcore setting and disabled all the cpu EIST stuff :wacko:

Edit-2:

Indeed, Cpu-X shows that speedstep seems to be working, my cpu is running at 6x multiplier (2000mhz) when idle and jumps to 9x multiplier (3000mhz, slightly overcloked) when full load. I guess voltage goes along

So how come does these setting override fixed voltage i set in bios, and cpu EIST is disabled :rolleyes:

Max voltage seems to be 1,28v in pstate despite i set it to 1,23 vcore manual

can you explain what is going on , it may be related with my hac not going to sleep.

Edit-3:

Ridgeline, what is your bios configuration on the CPU ESIT page, cpu thermal, C1E and all that stuff.

Please tell which are enabled/disabled

Edit-4:

tried your last Q6600 dsdt (got the same pstate values as before, which are shown below.

EIST seems to be working though it is DISABLED in bios (weird!) and sleep mode still not working

thanks !

post-592671-1272884047_thumb.png

Hello, first off thanks for these amazing packages and posts. I recently bought the GA-G41M-ES2L to replace my other board that was giving me a lot of problems. I am fully up and running using Hazard's right now, but I definitely want to use your method/files to get a much more native version going.

Does it matter what version of the bios that I use with these DSDTs? I think mine shipped with F6...

Also, if you are offering to do dsdts for different CPUs, I'd really appreciate it if you could do mine. I have attached the pstates for my E5200(stock). There's 13 of them!

post-601468-1272926650_thumb.png

post-601468-1272926659_thumb.png

The 1.5 installer gave me the same error, too. The 1.4 worked though.

Does anyone have any advice on getting ATI (specifically Sapphire 4830) cards to work in 10.6.3? I realize this is probably the wrong place to ask, but I figured its worth asking since there is ATI support in your package.

If I didn't love the card so much I'd buy something else that works easier. I've got it working under my Hazzard install fine using kexts that came with the package and netkas package(for the most part...the first port won't wake from the sleep, the 2nd doesn't detect my monitor resolutions, but switchresx allowed me to get the right resolution), but I can't ever seem to get it to work with G41M-ES2L guides. I've tried endless combinations of kexts and other user's posts. Either nothing happens and I get normal display with 1 resolution, or it starts up a garbled screen full or artifacts and random colors. I also tried copying over the kexts from the hazzard partition to this partition, but that didn't work either(maybe I missed something?)

The amount of time I have spent messing with it is simply depressing.

Anyway-- the last thing I tried was installing all the graphics kexts in your installer except the NV one, installed 10.6.3 qe ci, and finally copied over the 10.6.2 atisupport and framebuffer and etc as recommended in netkas' post/comments.

EDIT:: I did get full resolution, hardware acceleration using the kexts from my other partition. I still would like to be able to figure out what kexts I need from your install package though. Atleast this way I can easily toy with this partition and find out exactly what kexts are working for card. I haven't been able to sleep or restart correctly, but I assume that has to do with the dsdt or bios settings... haven't gotten that far yet.

Wow lots of questions, I will try and get all of this done. Okay first off Cyber Cap I will send you each screen shot of my bios. If you simply loaded optimal settings you should be set up very close to mine as I really did not mess with Bios. The reason this works and why we have DSDT and hacked drivers is because Mac OS and apple products use EFI instead of bios. Which is why the bios can say one thing and the dsdt can make it do something else almost like an override and the reason we have to have something like Chameleon and PC-EFI

Secondly tacticalt I use nvidia cards so I am not sure what to tell you on the ATi I recommend doing a search for a user LastExile, on here he has a very extensive driver thread for a variety of ATi cards. and 13 pstates is insane. I will get a dsdt to you as soon as I learn to count that high. J/K

JoJitsu, I will gladly take a look and compare the pstates you posted. JoJitsu pstates confirmed to be the same so your good.

tacticalt here is your dsdt and that is actually 14 steps not 13. this should fix sleep and speed step issues.

If you use the 1.4 installer the only thing you need is already checked since your dsdt was not in the list I normally recommend anyone using the installer if you do not see your dsdt to at least use the generic one at the top of the dsdt list. With this dsdt simply unzip drag and drop it into place in the /Extra folder

Cybercap here you go let me know if there are anymore that you need

DSCN0060.jpg

DSCN0061.jpg

DSCN0062.jpg

DSCN0063.jpg

DSCN0064.jpg

G41M_E5200_DSDT.zip

Ridgeline, you are the man. Thanks so much for the dsdt and advice. Yea I forgot to add the 0 in my pstate count, doh.

Where is the donate button?? lol (seriously though)

Any word on the modified bios I read about in another post? Count me in as interested.

Ridgeline,

thanks for taking care of me

here is my feedback

I set my bios exactly like yours and i use your latest dsdt for Q6600

Hac boots ok and pstate are same values that i had when eist, c1E and all that stuff was disabled.

cpu still indicates in pstate that it lowers its speed and voltage when idle (this was also the case with all stuff disabled)

what is NO good for me is the cpu vcore AUTO setting because since i overclock the mobo sets voltage accordingly and bios reads around 1,34-1,36v and even speedstep my idle temps (istat measures) are +5°C on each core than before

1- with manual vcore setting : set 1,20, bios read 1,18v

idlle : 40-40-35-35°, load 56-56-51-51

2- with AUTO vcore : bios read 1,34v

idle : 46-46-40-40° , load 62-62-57-57

3- back to manual vcore setting : set 1,20, bios read 1,18v but with C1E,EIST Enabled : NO change in temps (like 1) and pstate readings

conclusion : Enabling C1E, EIST in bios hasn't changed anything, seems to be like you said that whatever speedstep bios settings it is overriden with chameleon, EFI, dsdt, or so. BUT vcore setting seems not to be completly managed by pstate. Though pstate shows a max of 1,28v (same as my manual vcore), the high temps must be based on vcore jumping automatically to 1,34v because of oc.

Hac Sleep mode still does not work automatically :(

but will work when forced manually

should i check kext like nullcpupowermangement, sleepenabler, and try something with them, what could i try?

As far as i can remember using sleepenabler on a former install had proven successful but it worked at random. sometimes it went off and the next time it wouldn't :)

thanks

Cybercap you sir are an anomaly as I have had just about everyone but you have success with this the only thing I can think of is no one is overclocked but you. I am not sure where to go from here.

On a side note I will be updating the installer again with a few more dsdt files, as well as the AppleHDA 10.6.2 from Tonymac I will also be adding a wireless category that will have the TP Link installer for those that are running that card. If you are using another card and would be willing to send me the files that you installed as well as the card info I will see what I can do about making an installer for it to simplify the process for everyone.

For those who got an error using my more recent installer can you please tell me what the error was and when it occurred? I have tried it with no issue but it was built on my machine

Ridgeline

Great to hear from you.

For my sleep problem, do not worry, i'll find out sooner or later and i can put it to sleep manually so it's not that annoying.

I'm happy to see that you're always trying to improve your installer, thank you so much!

If you would be kind enough to include my wifi dongle chipset drivers in the installer, that would be great.

It is a RALINK RT2870 chipset which is a well known one.

here are :

- the installer file

- the kext file

- the pref panes files : enabling the nice airport icon

- the link to the official driver (30mb) : http://www.ralinktech.com/support.php?s=3

- the link to the topic on this forum : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...68984&st=40

i hope you can sort these files out and keep what's needed

let me know of you need more information

Ralink_Airport_Installer.zip

Ralink_Airport_RT2870.zip

RT2870USBWirelessDriver.kext.zip

My error, like Robie's, said there is no software to install when I clicked the install button after selecting options. However, I just tried it without any options selected, and it installed fine. I also noticed, atleast in the 1.4 version, that the Gigabyte theme is extracted to the Themes directory directly-- not in a Default or Gigabyte folder. Finally, this isn't big at all-- but the file is named 1.6 but the inside the installer it states 1.5.

I'll let you know if I find anything else. Thanks for making this installer, it's much appreciated!!

(PS I'm not trying to 'complain'... the installer is GREAT, just letting you know of things I've found.)

First of all, a big thank you goes out to everyone involved in this mini guide.

Second of all, it has inspired me to build my own machine based around this motherboard model.

I would very much appreciate it if someone could go over my component list to make sure everything should work without a hitch. Below you'll find the newegg links along with pricing info. I also would like some recommendations on a nice video card. I edit HD video and plan on playing some of the Valve Steam releases (if Steam for mac comes out in the next week or so haha). Also I have a ghetto monitor I will use for the time being until I can purchase a decent one.

Lastly, I have a bluetooth keyboard/mouse I would like to use with this setup. Can I get an OS X compatible add on for this mobo, or would it be better to get a usb dongle? Any and all help would be appreciated!!!

Specified Mobo (Dur) - 54.99

4 Gig Corsair Memory - 103.99

Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16 Ghz - 189.99

HEC 63RABB Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

hec HP485D 485W ATX12V Power Supply CACACACombo Deal (Case+Power Supply) - $44.98

TOTAL = $406.84 Shipped

I have about $150 of wiggle room for the video card / anything else you all can think of. The case comes with a fan but I'm not really sure if that will be enough to cool this system or not. Also I have some thermal paste but I am also not sure if that will be necessary either.

This is my first post here so I hope you guys go easy on me. :-)

P.S. I am definitely familiar with running OS X on my Dell Mini9 (see image below) so the software side of all of this should be pretty easy for me to go through, and I have an OEM copy of Snow Leopard!

post-549451-1273275659_thumb.jpg

Well definitely don't go ATI haha... I have a 4830 and I'm lucky to be where I'm at now, and I'm still not satisfied completely. I love the card itself, but it has been the biggest pain ever. If I had a graphics card that was simple to setup, installing SL with Ridgeline's installer would be the easiest thing ever.

Also-- My computer won't automatically go to sleep. Is this related to what Cybercap is having problems with?? I'm not too worried about it as I usually manual sleep anyway, and I don't think the auto sleeps works on my other partition with Hazard and sleepenabler either. It would be nice, though. I haven't tried any applications... I'm sure there's something out there can could solve it.

Thanks again for all your work Ridgeline!

Well definitely don't go ATI haha... I have a 4830 and I'm lucky to be where I'm at now, and I'm still not satisfied completely. I love the card itself, but it has been the biggest pain ever. If I had a graphics card that was simple to setup, installing SL with Ridgeline's installer would be the easiest thing ever.

I think I may go with this card, the GeForce 9500 GT 1GB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814150322

I will be ordering this stuff on Monday (when I have the money). I'm hoping I can get some more feedback before then.

anyone know is there any where i can find the AHCI option to set for this motherboard?

thanks

Just set the Sata mode to enhanced I think it is. It won't say AHCI specifically in BIOS but in the manual it says that's AHCI mode.

Ridgeline,

First, thank you for this mini guide. This was the easiest install I've ever done. The only thing that is not working is sleep. I'm hoping that the problem is the p-states that you have written about. I don't know how to edit the DSDT to change the data for my CPU. I have attached a screenshot of the p-states for a Q8400. I'd appreciate any help you can provide.

Best regards,

h50

post-471139-1273427469_thumb.png

Ridgeline:

I see you are accumulating p-state screenshots for various CPUs. I've attached a screenshot for a Pentium Dual Core E6300.

h50

Looks like you need to attach another screenshot with the window scrolled down if I'm not mistaken.

Wow, it's been a while since I posted anything, not since the Jas installer days on my Pentium M lapdog. ;)

Ridgeline, I want to thank you for all the work you have done so far. Getting a tweaked DSDT like you have generously provided is something that is not easy work, and it's amazing how well it does work.

However, I will chime in with the problem running the 1.6 post install package stating there is no software found to install when customizing it for my particular setup (32-bit at the moment, no extra network driver, E7500 DSDT).

I have a fresh install of 10.6.3 from a retail DVD (picked it up myself) on a freshly formatted drive. As I have a working install now from the first page of this thread, I'm going to wait for the next version of the installer and use that. I'm not in any rush, and if I can help with testing anything, let me know, I'm glad to help (after all, I've got nothing to loose if I break something on the new drive :wacko:).

Does anyone know if the onboard graphics card will work on this mobo? I ended up getting everything but a video card for my build so now I'm wondering if I'll even be able to use it... :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if the onboard graphics card will work on this mobo? I ended up getting everything but a video card for my build so now I'm wondering if I'll even be able to use it... ;)
I've only seen one post anywhere that says that the on board graphics were able to be used with some DSDT modifications, but there were some limitations, such as DVD playback not working correctly and no acceleration.

IMO, you would be better off finding a cheap 8500 or better and using that, or even a 7500 or better, but would be limited to 32-bit because, from what I understand, the 64-bit drivers for the 7000 series cards is known to have a bug or two.