[Mini Guide] SL working on Gigabyte G41M-ES2L

iRobie

934 posts in this topic

Rex Luna Chameleon makes a separate partition for the boot loader but what is the advantage of having the extras folder there? just curious.....

i started doing it on my first hackintosh. there were a lot of reasons to do it then, less so now. it made it a bit easier to keep tract of multiple installs on 1 hd and dual/triple boot. also it keeps the install partition as a clean standard install, that makes it so you can take an HD formatted for a real mac and boot. or stick your hackintosh drive in a real mac with no probs. but mainly it just makes it a bit easier to fix stuff. when i updated to 10.6.3 and got the KP i just have cham boot to my 10.6.2 back up clone partition and fix the files on the 10.6.3.

i am sure there are better ways to do it but im to lazy to start over right now..

also I saw in another post you were running hotter than before by about 10 degrees can you please follow my steps on post 240 of this thread and I will see if there is anything we need to change in your dsdt

i don't know if there is a problem with readings but in Seven speedfan give me 30degreeC here i have ˜40

screenshot20100423at081.th.png

thank a lot for support! :(

hi everyone

for QE/CI i use NVEnabler64, it works (i have a nvidia 9500GT)

i know i haven't got a top-end card but just wanted to know if any other methods provide BETTER acceleration, better graphic score.

Or do all ways (dsdt, efi string, kexts) get same results ?

thanks

Anyway, i'll soon start a new isntall on an SSD i brougt back from Japan :D

edit: ridge, i read your post on psstate, will keep you updtated, i might change my Q8300 with my GF's Q6600 ;)

I've been running Snow Leopard since it first came out, now at 10.6.3 (updated recently), on a G41M-ES2L and EP35-DS3 successfully, thanks to you and some other dear 'Machackers' in this forum... thanks a bunch, man.

Now, I'm putting up a photo manual for my circle of friends, and I wish to share it with everyone here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9542...mp;l=d188020eaa

I've been running Snow Leopard since it first came out, now at 10.6.3 (updated recently), on a G41M-ES2L and EP35-DS3 successfully, thanks to you and some other dear 'Machackers' in this forum... thanks a bunch, man.

Now, I'm putting up a photo manual for my circle of friends, and I wish to share it with everyone here:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9542...mp;l=d188020eaa

great thanks for sharing your enthousiasm :)

i changed my Q8300 for an oc Q6600 which works great (btw ridgeline your dsdt for Q6600 shows it as unknow i changed the cputype in smbios to 1281 for quad) but it gets much hotter (even without touching the native voltage) between 50 and 60°C but still seems to be ok. i got the intel fan

i don't want to make it an OC discussion here but just to ask if the cpu power saving BIOS options (eist,...) still need to be all disabled for hackintosh

thanks

Cybercap if you would please provide the info I have asked for back on post 240 of this thread I will gladly look at the dsdt and see what needs to be corrected.

Hi

sorry just got back from Japan last week end with some trouble cause of the ash cloud.

you mean the psstate on post 238 for my (new) Q6600 , ok i'll look into this quickly !

as a aside, do you know how to do to get my heapdhones switch off the speakers when pluuged in ?

(i have sound coming out from both parts). i can switch manually from one to another but it is not done automatically

another question: i have an external hard drive that is NTFS and was used with windows 7. I would like to use in in both MacOSX and windows versions (it's my lightroom photo catalog). But when plugged in my Hac it is read-only.

Do i need to reformat in HFS and if i do, will it be R/W under windows (including XP)

thanks

Okay guys here is a newly updated installer I added the E6550 DSDT

http://www.mediafire.com/?yy053iygnmg

Cybercap,

Yes get me the pstates, also don't reformat anything. I will get you a link for the ntfs 3g from Macfuse. there is a free version floating around and it will allow you to read and write NTFS from the Mac side. also if you need to Macdrive works great on the Windows side to view and write to HFS+ Journaled file systems.

Here is the link for the NTFS-3g should help you out Cybercap,

http://sourceforge.net/projects/catacombae...sx.dmg/download

thanks, i'll try the ntfs 3g

are you sure it works in full 64 bit kernel (i've browsed tuxera site and seems not so good in 64bits)

here is my pstate shot

(i'm actually running my Q6600 with a small oc 3,06ghz)

post-592671-1272474862_thumb.png

another question: my HDs seem to be waking up when i get back to the PC after some time.

there is this little increasing buzzing sound when the drives come to life again.

But my Hac wasn't in sleep mode (only monitor in standby), when I mouse the mouse it is ready, why are the drives going off i have NOT set the option to make them sleep. i did not allow the "suspend drive activity"

Okay I will look into the drive thing mine do not do that unless the system sleeps. You could try the ntfs-3g I am not currently running it but have in the past. I will do your dsdt tomorrow as I am not at work today. I will check it and get back to on that asap though.

People please keep in mind that with speedstepping and temp monitoring if you are running HD video and multitasking other things and running at the highest step your computer is not gonna be running at 35-45 degrees, this will be your idle temps as long as you are not running like 70 you should be okay this is running stock with stock fans and such if you are trying to OC the system your temps will be higher and you will need upgraded fans and such.

Okay I will look into the drive thing mine do not do that unless the system sleeps. You could try the ntfs-3g I am not currently running it but have in the past. I will do your dsdt tomorrow as I am not at work today. I will check it and get back to on that asap though.

the waking-up drive sound is weird, it's typically a wake up thing as the system seems to "freeze" for 1 sec or 2 until the drives are ready and then everything is ok. my sleep function still does not work and i made a new install from scratch

People please keep in mind that with speedstepping and temp monitoring if you are running HD video and multitasking other things and running at the highest step your computer is not gonna be running at 35-45 degrees, this will be your idle temps as long as you are not running like 70 you should be okay this is running stock with stock fans and such if you are trying to OC the system your temps will be higher and you will need upgraded fans and such.

Yes.

No worry about temps, i'm not oc that much, just the 3ghz to get the 333 fsb and that's fine. Anyway, the G41M-ES2L has a fsb wall at 340 whatever the vcore you set.

i have stock cooler, vcore set to "normal" (auto is crazy), gives me around 1.25v, running about 45-48° idle and in full cpu stress for 5-10min it goes to a max of 67°. I'll change the cooler for an artic freezer 7 tomorrow which should lower temp a few degrees. That should be fine.

Just a note on oc in SL (don't want to be too much off topic here), i made some tests to lower the vcore below normal a notch, system is fine but a few apps that normally work fine (mail, safari, toast) seem to crash/quit sometimes , is this an alert of undervoltage in the mac world ?

thanks !

Okay I am confused by your install and I am guessing that some of your issues are coming from the bios settings I would recommend checking the optimized defaults and saving and then running mac I will be checking the dsdt shortly and posting a link for you on that if it is different from the one I have already made. You must have the power at st3 under bios

Not sure about the ntfs-3g that was the only thing I knew about that would help and since it is a system preference not really an app it is not like you have the option of running it 32bit compatible. I will see what I can find,

what issues are you talking about ?

bios should be well. i'm in S3, 64bit HPET, AHCI and all the hackintosh stuff

no other changes apart from the little oc.

i'm running full 64 bit system from boot to everything else, maybe the ntfs-3g is not 64bt compatible. i don't understand the error message

anyway i *could* save and reformat my ext drive, maybe it's quicker than messing around trying to get ntfs working.

if i format hfs+ will win7/XP be able to read/write to it ?

or should i do fat32 ? (i think there is a limitation to 4gb file, but that's fine for me on this drive

what issues are you talking about ?

bios should be well. i'm in S3, 64bit HPET, AHCI and all the hackintosh stuff

no other changes apart from the little oc.

i'm running full 64 bit system from boot to everything else, maybe the ntfs-3g is not 64bt compatible. i don't understand the error message

anyway i *could* save and reformat my ext drive, maybe it's quicker than messing around trying to get ntfs working.

if i format hfs+ will win7/XP be able to read/write to it ?

or should i do fat32 ? (i think there is a limitation to 4gb file, but that's fine for me on this drive

For the Mac side of things you need to be HFS+ I you should be able to read NTFS natively with SL.

Here is your Q6600 DSDT also let me know how that works I am not sure about why sleep is not working for you hopefully this will help with that. The numbers were off a bit from what I had in the q6600 Post installer which is where some of the issues could come from but it would be nothing to do with the NTFS-3g

Once you let me know how the new dsdt works I can add it to the installer. Please test and report back.

Thanks

Just drag and drop this into place

Q6600_DSDT.zip

Hi Ridgeline,

Here's my PState. This is for a stock speed E8200.

I've tried editing the DSDT myself & using the rest of your installer, but whenever I do I still have sleep troubles. Just waking from sleep - it goes to sleep just fine :)

I'll try a clean install with your installer. I probably have other conflicts going on that are causing the problems. Is there anything else you do to enable sleep? I was reading elsewhere that some need to disable something in preferences to get sleep working correctly - don't remember now.

Thanks!

post-18707-1272653552_thumb.jpg

For the Mac side of things you need to be HFS+ I you should be able to read NTFS natively with SL.

I was able to read the NTFS on that ext disk BEFORE i switched to NTFS-3G. Now that the ntfs driver has been replaced by the 3g one, it doesn't mount anymore.

Here is your Q6600 DSDT also let me know how that works I am not sure about why sleep is not working for you hopefully this will help with that. The numbers were off a bit from what I had in the q6600 Post installer which is where some of the issues could come from but it would be nothing to do with the NTFS-3g

Once you let me know how the new dsdt works I can add it to the installer. Please test and report back.

Thanks

Just drag and drop this into place

Many thanks.

I'll try that and let you know on sunday afternoon (i'm staying at some friends for the week end)

I guess my OC doesn't change the values the psstate shows ?

on your screenshot i see that you checked "put the hard drives to sleep", this is unchecked on my system. It is very unlikely that it prevents my system to go to sleep

Well you must go into system preferences and energy saver and select restart after power failure in order for sleep to work correctly not sure why that is but it is.

Here is the modded dsdt let me know how it works

EnergySaving.jpg

Thanks! I'll give it a shot. I only have 'Put the hard disk to sleep' and 'Allow power button to sleep computer' checkboxes right now. I'll let you know how it goes.

Even though I don't have the wake for network access button, Wake on Lan definitely works. I use it daily. I have an Airport Extreme in my house, but it's not my router - it's just a wireless device. I wonder if that's why I don't have that checkbox.

Thanks! I'll give it a shot. I only have 'Put the hard disk to sleep' and 'Allow power button to sleep computer' checkboxes right now. I'll let you know how it goes.

Even though I don't have the wake for network access button, Wake on Lan definitely works. I use it daily. I have an Airport Extreme in my house, but it's not my router - it's just a wireless device. I wonder if that's why I don't have that checkbox.

Mine showed up after installing a wireless card in my Hac

the computer will only restart if it was on when the power failed so if the system is off when a power failure hits it will stay off

I'll try that and let you know on sunday afternoon (i'm staying at some friends for the week end)

I guess my OC doesn't change the values the psstate shows ?

on your screenshot i see that you checked "put the hard drives to sleep", this is unchecked on my system. It is very unlikely that it prevents my system to go to sleep

I was more so trying to show that it is necessary to have the restart on powerfailure box checked and where to do so. Yes please guys let me know how these work out.

It's working! Two kexts, just like you said it could be done :unsure:

I'll edit the front page guide very shortly. I did a clean install and, with your installer, it couldn't be simpler. There's only three things a new user will need to know:

1. After installation, a CPU specific DSDT is needed, though your installer provides many common CPUs

2. After installation, the 10.6.2 AppleHDA file is needed for sound

3. Speedstep may not appear to be working at first, but give Spotlight time to run the index :)

Oh - the 1.5 installer didn't work for me. It kept saying it couldn't install because there was nothing to install, or no changes to be made. Something like that. Getting the 1.4 installer worked.

Thanks for the great work!

Hey all,

Just built my machine using this guide and just wanted to let you all know it works flawlessly. Everything from sleep to QE to 64 bit, everything is as smooth as butter.

I especially want to thank Ridgeline, who pretty much made this the easiest install of Os X on any computer I've ever done it on (which has only really been a 1000HE).

The only thing I guess I have to note is that my processor is an E6500, and using ridgeline's post installer, I chose the E7500 dsdt. Now, briefly looking at the dsdt for the E7500 that was made, it looks to be at the same settings as the pstate for the E6500. This makes sense to me because the E6500 and E7500 are pretty much identical chips, save for the extra 1mb of L2 cache the E7500 has. I've also attached my pstate values for my E6500, if you would like to compare (and to make sure that my assumption is indeed correct!), but everything seems to be working swell so far.

My pstate values are as follows (for E6500):

pstatechangere6500.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Anyways, thanks for all the help (I wish the first post of this thread could be edited to include all of ridgeline's additions, but I digress!), and if indeed the e7500 dsdt is identical to the e6500, then I guess that should help anyone else working with an e6500 B)

Thanks again!

Oh and my stats are as follows:

Processor: E6500

Vid Card: Zotac 9500 gt

Ram: One 2gb stick (likely will upgrade to 4)

pstatechangerE6500.tiff