965P-DS4 Success with Retail 10.6 - 64 Bit

134 posts in this topic

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I although have the p965-ds4 rev 3.1 mobo, with 4GB, 3SATA disks all on ICH port (i.e. not on the purple connectors), DVD on ICH, 9800GT gfx and dlink g122 c1.

All works fine, TimeMachine, QE/CI, sleep, CMOS not reseting, 2 displays, ...

By now I am trying to get a more Vanilla SL system, i.e. get rid of kexts in EFI E/E by using DSDT.

With your help and the info in this thread I managed to get Ethernet, GFX, ... working through DSDT.

In EFI E/E I still have following kexts:

- FakeSMC.kext // system boots and works without it, but than I miss measuring of CPU temp; maybe one has a better option to get CPU temp meassuring working

- SleepEnabler.kext

- LegayAppleAHCIPort.kext

- LegacyAppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

- LegacyAppkleYukon2.kext

- LegacyHDA.kext

- LegacyIOAHCIBlockStorage.kext // one could live without this, as this only fixes the orange disk volumes issue; maybe there is an other way, without kext

- NullCPUPowerManagement.kext // some say it is only needed to install, but without it i get KP with AppleIntelPowerMangement

- OpenHaltRestart.kext // without it the system starts, but shut down is not workin; wonder if this can be managed through DSDT

- SleepEnabler.kext // sorry, dont know if I have tested sleep/wake without this kext

So what kexts do you have in EFI E/E?

Which one can be deleted? or substituted with DSDT or other?

Innerz posted that he was working on enabling SpeedStep in DSDT, ...

does any one have worked on this issue.

Again, as our mobo now works fine with SL, the next step should be to get a more vanilla like system.

I have EFI in the "hidden" 200MB of a GUID parted disk.

With this and less kexts in E/E it should be nice and easy to update ones system.

Please post :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Innerz,

Would you mind posting your DSDT file (The whole thing as i have same mobo and 8800 GTS 320) and extra folder?

I have snow leo working as per your guide with just basic 3 kexts but am getting panics when adding additional ones. Also im using GFX with EFI string but would prefer the DSDT route.

No audio / ethernet as yet.

Hey Innerz,

Would you mind posting your DSDT file (The whole thing as i have same mobo and 8800 GTS 320) and extra folder?

I have snow leo working as per your guide with just basic 3 kexts but am getting panics when adding additional ones. Also im using GFX with EFI string but would prefer the DSDT route.

No audio / ethernet as yet.

@sld87 why are you asking Innerz, as this thread is for a special mobo? most people reading this thread do have the same mobo as you do, the GA-P965 DS4?! :)

my mobo is the p965-ds4 rev3

Enclosed you may find my dsdt file and two legacy kexts for ethernet and sound.

All fixes included, steedstep, cmos, ethernet, sound, gfx.

You have to use legacy kexts, to activate sound and ethernet.

For GFX you can use this too (my gfx is 9800gt). Just make sure you use PCEFI /boot file and all your gfx settings will be recognized at boot up.

You just have to change CPU settings, if you are using other than Core2Duo. My is the E6440

Take care to put the dsdt file in E/E and it must be named DSDT.aml (casesensitive!!!), while kexts may be in E/E or S/L/E.

Archive.zip

Hi Dino,

Thanks for the prompt reply. The reason I wanted the one Innerz posted was because i'd prefer to have my GFX, Ethernet and Sound all in my DSDT rather than with kexts (mind you, i have no idea what the difference is).

My CPU is a Q6600 quad core. Where would I have to change this as i thought DSDT was only to tie the graphics card to the mobo?

Not really sure how to change DSDT aside from patching it using the DSDT patcher.

Thanks for your patience, i'm not posting random 'OMG plz post step by step' dribble just trying to make the final tweaks.

It's my first attempt at a retail install as I have been using ideneb leopard in the past with success.

*Edit*

Wait, you say put the DSDT.aml in E/E? I thought the DSDT belong in the Extra folder, not the extensions folder. I put the DSDT in Snow root, as well as Snow/Extra.

Just an update, booted sucessfully in 64bit mode! Ethernet worked thru innerz's dst file, got sound through the kext dino posted in his last reply.

Just a quick one though, in sound settings under output, sound only works through 'built-in speaker' (Still routes to my speakers though)...Lineout = no sound.

Is this how it's sposed to be?

*Edit* I'm also using innerz last uploaded DSDT that included USB fixes etc but no 8800 GTS 320mb included. Innerz if you still have your latest DSDT with all the above fixes, plus the GFX in there I'd love to grab it off you.

Cheers and many thanks.

Just an update, booted sucessfully in 64bit mode! Ethernet worked thru innerz's dst file, got sound through the kext dino posted in his last reply.

Just a quick one though, in sound settings under output, sound only works through 'built-in speaker' (Still routes to my speakers though)...Lineout = no sound.

Is this how it's sposed to be?

C, it isnt too hard, if u try.

Here are some screenshots regarding sound from my machine.

I have 4 possible sound outs, where build.in/internal is the middle green jack on back side

Front output also works, as well as one other of the backside jacks (i have six of them)

Input works from the pink jack at backside, didnt test others; but know that frontside jack isnt working for me for input.

Which is bad,

does anybody have working front mic and output, best auto recognition and that one needs just the legacy/injector kext??

You should use the sound settings of my dsdt. search for hdef. it should appear two times. c my post above and you c the excact settings.

All other sound injectors should be removed, like voodoohda an stuff

please report

post-508900-1267446184_thumb.png

post-508900-1267446199_thumb.png

post-508900-1267446378_thumb.png

Couple of problems

- Sleep still not working properly. Monitor switches off, but won't turn off the disks or anything and refuses to wake with the keyboard / mouse. Will sleepenabler.kext fix this?

- The legacyHDA kext no longer works with 10.6.2.

Any ideas?

*Edit* but that annoying thump/pop/noise that randomly comes out of the speakers is still there :/ It sounds like a heartbeat.

Couple of problems

- Sleep still not working properly. Monitor switches off, but won't turn off the disks or anything and refuses to wake with the keyboard / mouse. Will sleepenabler.kext fix this?

- The legacyHDA kext no longer works with 10.6.2.

Any ideas?

*Edit* but that annoying thump/pop/noise that randomly comes out of the speakers is still there :/ It sounds like a heartbeat.

SleepEnabler should fix it; in cause of trouble take the updated sleepenabler from NektasDotorg

Is it sleep that does not work (AppleMenu->Sleep) or auto sleep (the one you set up at energy prefs) ?

Lots of us have trouble regarding autosleep, mainly caused by constant net access of widgets (c one of my posts, there is a link to some scripts that can easily fix this "Narclolepsy" "RIP" ...)

Regarding sound, please check prefs settings first. If that does not help post the version number of your appleHDA. There is a version out there, a fix for mac pro 4,1s, that does not work with legacies.

So what kexts do you use now?

Is all working?

do you got QE/CI working?

PS: send the 10 bugs to some Haiti aid organization

Hi mate,

I'll let you know what kexts i have (and which ones i'll attempt to install over lunch) when i get home.

For the moment, i'm satisfied that QE is working because i can do all three tests here:

http://prasys.co.cc/2009/09/quartz-extreme...n-snow-leopard/

My biggest concern right now is the fact that my computer won't wake once the display switches off, and of course sound. When i get home i'll try a new HDA kext and i'll install the new sleepenabler.kext as well. Although I dont think this will fix the waking issue, as my USB devices are not switched on.

Hi mate,

I'll let you know what kexts i have (and which ones i'll attempt to install over lunch) when i get home.

For the moment, i'm satisfied that QE is working because i can do all three tests here:

http://prasys.co.cc/2009/09/quartz-extreme...n-snow-leopard/

My biggest concern right now is the fact that my computer won't wake once the display switches off, and of course sound. When i get home i'll try a new HDA kext and i'll install the new sleepenabler.kext as well. Although I dont think this will fix the waking issue, as my USB devices are not switched on.

to get sound you may try thsi kexts. put it in S/L/E

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Hi mate,

see attached.

I'll give that kext a go now (removing the legacy one before i do). So just drop into kext utility?

Dropped your attached HDA kext into kext utility, let it do its thing ( I also dropped sleepenabler after), rebooted, BAM sound working :) (Internal Speaker).

Will test out MIC and see if sleep wakeup works properly when I get home from work.

Cheers so far Dino :)

post-321125-1267497967_thumb.png

post-321125-1267497972_thumb.png

post-321125-1267497979_thumb.png

post-321125-1267497985_thumb.png

post-321125-1267497992_thumb.png

S(a)LD(e)87?

Re your post: Cheers for that. wireless usb mouse+keyboard waking up now ;)

*Edit*

Sleep seems to work well too!

Just want to fix the feint heartbeet like sound i get coming out of my speakers. A possible kext problem...

S(a)LD(e)87?

Re your post: Cheers for that. wireless usb mouse+keyboard waking up now :wacko:

*Edit*

Sleep seems to work well too!

Just want to fix the feint heartbeet like sound i get coming out of my speakers. A possible kext problem...

Nice to see your progress!

as my sound works flawless and we use the same configs I can only suggest to  to read through this post.

Please post if u find any better solution.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...p;#entry1422827

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I guess you can use all kexts from this thread, as the rev1 only differs in an other ethernet chip.

(please check if there are any other differences)

I do not post my dsdt, as i have added my gfx settings in my dsdt.

just take a fresh dsdt from this thread and look for this kext

LegacyAppleYukon2.kext

which should work with your ethernet chipset too

So you may take a dsdt from here and edit hdef settings to fit your codec.

1. take a dsdt tool. like dsdtse and within the HDEF section edit the codecID to fit

"codec-id",

Buffer (0x04)

{

0x83, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10 /* CHANGE 0x88 to 0x83 */

},

Keep all the other settings from this section unchanged.

2. Replace LegacyHDA kext with a 882 kext, that you sure will easily find.

as the search option in this forum does not work well, take google and search " alc882 site:.insanelymac.com"

3. If you use extensions.mkext in /Extra/Extensions rebuild it with the 882 kext

• 3 weeks later...

Sound broken with latest 10.5.3 update.

Anyone got any fix as yet? Had kp after update but deleted sleepenabler.kext out of S/L/E and installed latest from netkas into S/L/E and was able to boot. Just need sound now!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello @ll

thx to all contributions in this thread my Hack is running great, with 2 minor problems with sleep

Try with just :

Device (USB0)
{
Name (_ADR, 0x001D0000)
Method (_S3D, 0, NotSerialized)
{
If (LEqual (OSFL, 0x02))
{
Return (0x02)
}

Return (0x03)
}

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)
{
0x03,
[color="#FF0000"]0x03[/color]
})
}

The remove part is useless i think.

I have changed my dsdt.aml accordingly (all usb-ports, right?), but autosleep still doesn´t work

Monis going off, but Computer not. Manuell Sleep works fine, except at times when wakeup, network is down.

Is there a way of restarting the network, logging off and on don´t help, only reboot 

Also at times my apple magic mouse (bluetooth) isn´t working after sleep, but manually new connecting helps (still anoying)

Anybody has idea, what to do?

thx in advance

Edit: Tried the sleepenabled dsdt from Innerz, same thing. Also my EHCI Usb is now extern again