Kernel panic immediately during boot

tehnick

34 posts in this topic

Hi, I've been messing with this for a while, and I've restored the 10a432 install DVD onto a partition multiple times and when I try to reboot into it I get a kernel panic almost immediately. I've tried with -v, -x32, -f, -x, etc. I've also tried Chameleon RC2 431 and 640. Nothing seems to make a difference. I have fakesmc.kext in /Extra/Extensions. No luck.

I have a fully functioning 10.5.8 install working by the way.

Hi, I've been messing with this for a while, and I've restored the 10a432 install DVD onto a partition multiple times and when I try to reboot into it I get a kernel panic almost immediately. I've tried with -v, -x32, -f, -x, etc. I've also tried Chameleon RC2 431 and 640. Nothing seems to make a difference. I have fakesmc.kext in /Extra/Extensions. No luck.

Three things you can do that made my install work:

1. Enable AHCI mode in BIOS.

2. Install bootloader2 (based on Chameleon 1, but eliminated many booting problems). Make sure the install the boot file too.

3. Download the 64 bit kexts file at: http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/165429070/prepare-yourself and install into your extras folder.

4. I would recommend using efi strings to start, so remove the nvidia enabler that is in the 64 bit kext pack.

5. Boot with -v -f -x -x32 and use kext utility to clean up the kexts.

Hope you can get it working. I had problems similar to you. Then it finally worked. Keep us posted.

Try this:

Boot in to your 10.5.8 system, Load up Terminal and type

sudo chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/SnowLeopard/System/Library/Extensions

sudo kextcache -v -l -t -m

/Volumes/SnowLeopard/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/SnowLeopard/System/Library/Extensions/

The command in purple starting sudo kextcache should be entered all in one line. Where the lines have ended there is a space.

Try this

http://netkas.org/?p=125

Install on Extra.

Three things you can do that made my install work:

1. Enable AHCI mode in BIOS.

2. Install bootloader2 (based on Chameleon 1, but eliminated many booting problems). Make sure the install the boot file too.

3. Download the 64 bit kexts file at: http://stellarola.tumblr.com/post/165429070/prepare-yourself and install into your extras folder.

4. I would recommend using efi strings to start, so remove the nvidia enabler that is in the 64 bit kext pack.

5. Boot with -v -f -x -x32 and use kext utility to clean up the kexts.

Hope you can get it working. I had problems similar to you. Then it finally worked. Keep us

I tried both things, and neither helped... :)

check your hard drives. Found WD5000AAKB causing trouble. Found article on PC World taht talks about how Snow Leopard finds bad kextrs hardware that runs find in Leopard but will not work with Snow Leopard. Still tring to get SL to install but now the panic is gone

I am also having this problem... I have a WD3200BEVT (2.5, 5400) could this be the problem like bmttinman mentioned? I have a Vostro 1510, 2.4GHz, 4GB DDR2 etc. acpi is enabled in the bios. I will continue to play with bios settings!

There are acpi and acpi 2.0. Leopard was ok with the usual acpi, But Sl needs acpi 2.0