Cannot Perform Permission Repair under Disk Utility?

moarfish

32 posts in this topic

1. Pop in your Snow Leopard DVD

2. Open up a terminal, sudo -s + password and copy/paste in following lines:

cd /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages

installer -pkg /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/BSD.pkg -target /Volumes/Your_Drive/Library/Receipts/

3. Result :

installer: Package name is BSD

installer: Upgrading at base path /

2009-10-04 14:50:28.344 installer[451:742b] using receipt prefix of /

installer: The upgrade was successful.

bash-3.2#

4. Go to Disk Utility and successfully repair your permissions

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
First off guys, stop giving bad advice, this is the {censored} that ruins installs! DO NOT RUN BSD.PKG from the installation disk over your current install. It will hose your /etc and WILL be locked out of your system. The SL main installer has post-install scripts that apply changes after the BSD.pkg installer to get your system working. Running BSD.PKG as is will just ruin it.

Here is the receipt file for BSD.pkg just drop it into /Library/Receipts and disk utility repair permissions will work.

http://victori.uploadbooth.com/osx86/bsd.pkg.tbz2

http://victori.uploadbooth.com/osx86 -- if you need any other files.

I'm in this dreaded boat sadly... having read here and elsewhere about this magical BSD.pkg fix for permission issues I went ahead and did it (from my SL DVD). But now I can only get into the OS via safe mode and can't seem to fix whatever went wrong (tried running BSD few times in safe mode). As w/others - the permissions issue is fixed, but not getting in to the OS is just slightly a bigger problem!

Anyhow know what I should do at this point? Is my only option to reinstall SL? Can I install it "on top of" my old SL install (in which case maybe I don't lose all my software/installations/etc)?

Any advice would be awesome - thank you!

You should be able to install on top of the current OS as long as you disable version checks on the disk. However, clean is better, always.

Did some of you guys just delete you /Library/Receipts or screw with permissions of the Receipts? How did any of you get to the point that Disk Utility is blanking on the installation receipts?

You should be able to install on top of the current OS as long as you disable version checks on the disk. However, clean is better, always.

Thanks Memorial! I agree w/clean is better but my install was the first successful one I had out of 9 attempts on my 1720 Inspiron - and I still am not quite sure how it all ended up finally working - so I'm DEF going to try just installing on top of current OS before going clean.

• 1 year later...

Its kinda old post... but if anyone got this problem,

the easiest way to get this fixed is to make combo update to your OSX.

I just solved the problem by makeing combo update to 10.6.7 from the 'Software Update'

Of course if you do not already have the newest version - 10.6.7 - for to day..

Note: I have Vanilla system, so those guys have modified Kernel and kexts, make an backup first.. or just make a search for "how-to-update bla bla" in the forum.

Good Luck.