Snow Leopard works in GA-965P-S3

moarfish

332 posts in this topic

Hi All,

Sorry for the absence. Just a word of warning to any users thinking of updating to 10.6.2.

The SleepEnabler.kext from my previous kextpack is NOT compatible with 10.6.2 and WILL cause Kernel Panic (No Boot).

You can boot if you remove the kext but you won't be able to sleep. I tested this and it completely shagged my hdd.

I'm now not able to boot but all my data is intact. I'll be a fresh installation (as Moarfish suggested) using only a USB pendrive.

I have had success with this method on my EeePC and HP DV6521TX and would expect that using the core kexts plus graphics the installation should be fine.

I have been backing up Snow installation using Time Machine since it was first installed so I'll have to see what the best method of restoration is (I've heard people having difficulty).

As for the Optical Out issues. Please give me a little time and I'll see if I can get a kext working. I don't have any optical equiment of my own to test so I'll be flying blind here.

Update soon...

Regards,

Steve.

after the 10.6.2 update i have NO SOUND ... F*** ...

EDIT: reinstall applehda.kext ...

Did you get optical out working? If so can you please send me the KEXTs and DSDT that you are using?

I can't update to 10.6.2 due to the reported issues with the Geforce 7 series issues.

Thanks

I pause my update after reading a few post about the graphic issues. I am using 9500GT but it seems that some people facing problems using EFI string in com.apple.boot.plist

Someone suggest to replace all the kext start with "NV" in 10.6.2 with those in 10.6.1.

I think I have to do some more research on that and get back to here later.

10.6.2 Update Experience

So here's what I did :

10.6.1 was working fine and I decided to upgrade.

After it finished I restarted and found that the SleepEnabler.kext I was using in my /E/E caused KP.

I deleted and booted in fine.

Time Machine backed up 10.6.2. I restarted again and found that it was freezing and not loading the desktop.

I went through a lot of hassle installing a fresh copy of Snow using an 8GB usb with the Snow DVD on it. That worked fine and I then used the Migration Assistant to restore all all my stuff that Time Machine had backed up. I realized I was back where I started but was now on 10.6.0.

I thought I'd start from scratch again and booted using the usb Snow setup again and decided to restore from a Time machine backup. Restored fine. I then booted up using the Chamelon 2 RC3 on the usb Snow setup drive but found I was still back at square one (freezing and not loading the desktop). I decided to remove some kext's and just stick with the 4 essentials OpenHaltRestart, NullCPUPower, fakesmc, PlatformUUID. This fixed the issue, I could boot up in 10.6.2, restart/shutdown fine.

After further narrowing down the troublesome kext it turned out to be the IONetworkingFamily.kext in /E/E. This was the one that our friend Moarfish liked earlier in this thread. I suppose the quick fix is to patch the 10.6.2 IONetworkingFamily.kext and see if it is the version of the kext that's the issue.

I suppose I went to a lot of wasted effort resinstalling etc when all I had to do was remove a simple kext...but it did give me the chance to see first hand that it's quite easy to restore from a time machine backup. I'm quite impressed actually. The only disappointment was that TM wasn't backing up my /Developer folder so I'll have to reinstall Xcode again.

Hope this helps anyone curious about 10.6.2 and restoring from Time Machine.

Thanks to Steve for putting the guide together and definitely the nice zip with everything needed.

I decided to update to 10.6.2 today. I used the new sleep enabler and NullCPUPowerManagement kext but still ran into the kernel panic where it was trying to load disabler. I removed "Disabler.kext" from the extras/extensions folder and the machine came back to life. Video, Time Machine, and Sleep works. Everything seems to be back to normal.

Outstanding issue:

- I lost sound.

I am running on GA-965P-S3 bios v. 14 with Gforce 9400GT (PNY).

Thanks to Steve for putting the guide together and definitely the nice zip with everything needed.

I decided to update to 10.6.2 today. I used the new sleep enabler and NullCPUPowerManagement kext but still ran into the kernel panic where it was trying to load disabler. I removed "Disabler.kext" from the extras/extensions folder and the machine came back to life.

Outstanding issue:

- I still don't have sound.

- Haven't tried sleep yet.

Time Machine is now running the first backup.

I am running on GA-965P-S3 bios v. 14 with Gforce 9400GT (PNY).

Cheers, but I think it was a joint effort by all who contributed in this thread :thumbsup_anim:

I forgot to mention that yes I did remove my Disabler.kext also, thankyou for mentioning that.

I have sound working using the three Legacy*.kexts from the pack. I think it's possible that as mentioned earlier in the thread my bios version(v.13) that I compiled the dsdt.aml against is not compatible with your v.14. Can you get me copy of your dsdt please so I may have a closer look at it.

Regards,

Steve.

I've tried patching the IONetworking.kext version 1.9 from the 10.6.2 release but it just won't allow me to boot past this message :

Running fsck on the boot volume...

Executing fsck_hfs (version diskdev_cmds-491~1).

I noticed the version of the kext AppleYukon2.kext is the same version and it's OSBundleDependencies are still exactly the same versions.

Anyone have some ideas?

Cheers, but I think it was a joint effort by all who contributed in this thread :D

I forgot to mention that yes I did remove my Disabler.kext also, thankyou for mentioning that.

I have sound working using the three Legacy*.kexts from the pack. I think it's possible that as mentioned earlier in the thread my bios version(v.13) that I compiled the dsdt.aml against is not compatible with your v.14. Can you get me copy of your dsdt please so I may have a closer look at it.

Regards,

Steve.

Steve,

You are likely right that there probably are differences in the DSDT. I am still using your DSDT. I will get a dump for F14 and try to modify it and post it back here.

In the meanwhile, I found that I am an idiot for not checking the sound setting. For some reason, the update change the default sound out. I changed it back and am right back to where I was before.

Just out of curiosity, is the v1.8 of IONetworkingFamily not cutting it for you? Why patch the new 1.9 version?

Steve,

You are likely right that there probably are differences in the DSDT. I am still using your DSDT. I will get a dump for F14 and try to modify it and post it back here.

In the meanwhile, I found that I am an idiot for not checking the sound setting. For some reason, the update change the default sound out. I changed it back and am right back to where I was before.

Just out of curiosity, is the v1.8 of IONetworkingFamily not cutting it for you? Why patch the new 1.9 version?

Yeah I have the same freezing issue with 1.8 as well. It's driving me bonkers!

This even occurred on a fresh installation?

Could I grab a copy that's confirmed working on 10.6.2 off someone please?

Regards,

Steve.

Yeah I have the same freezing issue with 1.8 as well. It's driving me bonkers!

This even occurred on a fresh installation?

Could I grab a copy that's confirmed working on 10.6.2 off someone please?

Regards,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your input. I've been following your guide from scratch and using the same dsdt as yours. My board's the same version as yours and i'm running 10.6.1 stable now. If you're successful in the 10.6.2 update, please keep us posted. Awaiting your kind inputs before upgrading to 10.6.2. Thank you.

Cheers!

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your input. I've been following your guide from scratch and using the same dsdt as yours. My board's the same version as yours and i'm running 10.6.1 stable now. If you're successful in the 10.6.2 update, please keep us posted. Awaiting your kind inputs before upgrading to 10.6.2. Thank you.

Cheers!

I definitely will Terence.

Real quick, just wanted to say GG to Slither. The research is one thing, but the follow up and answering individual questions is great.

That's no probs, other's have helped me here on this forum so I'm just trying to repay the favour.

10.6.1 on a Software RAID Setup

I thought since Time machine & Data Migration Assistant worked so well at restoring / transferring all my data I had a little bit of room to breath in regards to trying different setup configurations out.

I used two identical drives and a single external hdd that had my old Snow Leopard Installation on and got perfect results. I did an Xbench disk test and saw results ranging as high as 181mb/s read. The performance feels good but I'll have to try out some more hdd intensive apps.

I've sourced the instructions from this post : http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?act...=908&page=1

The only difference was that instead of using Carbon Copy Clone or Super duper to restore a working copy I opted for a fresh installation. I had to have a copy of Snow Leopard already configured and running so that I could set up the raid drive and run the OSInstall.mpkg method on the raid drive.

I recommend having your already configured Snow Leopard installation installed on a single external USB Hard drive.

I'll try and rewrite some GA-965p instructions on how I set it up soon. In short to understand what you'd be dealing with partition wise here is a short summary.

In total there will be 3 disks as a result from your 2 identical disks in raid.

The 1st disk will be your raided disk representing the two hdd's as one.

The 2nd disk will be a raid partition slice that has a "Boot OSX" partition.

The 3rd disk will be a raid partition slice that also has a "Boot OSX" partition.

I installed the OS and my com.apple.Boot.plist to the 1st disk (where the Snow OS resides) and then installed my /Extra and DSDT files and "mach_kernal" to the "Boot OSX" partitions on the 2nd and 3rd drives.

In order to try out new kexts you will have to apply your change to /Extra on BOTH "Boot OSX" partitions.

UPDATE : Talk about a molehill. I can't explain it but a fresh install appears to have resolved whatever issue I had using the patched IONetworkingFamily.kext Moarfish kindly provided us. The kext moarfish provided is version 1.8 and even though 10.6.2 has updated it to 1.9, version 1.8 works fine for me.

At this stage the move to 10.6.2 was good. Everything is working fine for me as it did in 10.6.1.

For users on a RAID setup I had to remove disabler, update SleepEnabler.kext to version 1.01 on both RAID slices. Ran the update and before I hit restart I copied over the new mach_kernel to both RAID slices. Rebooted and it booted up perfect as before.

For users on a non RAID setup I had to remove disabler, update SleepEnabler.kext to version 1.01 from my /Extra/Extensions folder. Ran the update, restarted and it booted up perfect as before.

Good luck! :D

UPDATE : Talk about a molehill. I can't explain it but a fresh install appears to have resolved whatever issue I had using the patched IONetworkingFamily.kext Moarfish kindly provided us. The kext moarfish provided is version 1.8 and even though 10.6.2 has updated it to 1.9, version 1.8 works fine for me.

At this stage the move to 10.6.2 was good. Everything is working fine for me as it did in 10.6.1.

For users on a RAID setup I had to remove disabler, update SleepEnabler.kext to version 1.01 on both RAID slices. Ran the update and before I hit restart I copied over the new mach_kernel to both RAID slices. Rebooted and it booted up perfect as before.

For users on a non RAID setup I had to remove disabler, update SleepEnabler.kext to version 1.01 from my /Extra/Extensions folder. Ran the update, restarted and it booted up perfect as before.

Good luck! :)

Hi Steve,

If i do not need sleep, and remove both sleepenabler.kext and disabler.kext from the E/E folder, would updating work as normal? Are there any kexts to be removed or added in the E/E besides the 2 listed above? Apart from replacing the current IOnetworkingfamily.lext ie.

Cheers!

Thank you.

Hi Steve,

If i do not need sleep, and remove both sleepenabler.kext and disabler.kext from the E/E folder, would updating work as normal? Are there any kexts to be removed or added in the E/E besides the 2 listed above? Apart from replacing the current IOnetworkingfamily.lext ie.

Cheers!

Thank you.

Hi Terence,

I found with my experience that all the kexts I used from my last pack worked except Disabler and SleepEnabler. If you remove both you should be able to boot up fine but please exercise caution before updating. Make sure you've backed up your data etc.

I'm still using the same IONetworkingFamily.kext that moarfish provided earlier in the thread so if you're still using this for 10.6.1 then there shouldn't be any need to change it. If how ever you come across the issue I had earlier then you too might have to install from scratch and then use Data Migration Assistant to restore your data.

Good luck.

Regards,

Steve.

P.S. - Be careful if you have an NVidia 7XXX card as some users have reported issues.

Hi Terence,

I found with my experience that all the kexts I used from my last pack worked except Disabler and SleepEnabler. If you remove both you should be able to boot up fine but please exercise caution before updating. Make sure you've backed up your data etc.

I'm still using the same IONetworkingFamily.kext that moarfish provided earlier in the thread so if you're still using this for 10.6.1 then there shouldn't be any need to change it. If how ever you come across the issue I had earlier then you too might have to install from scratch and then use Data Migration Assistant to restore your data.

Good luck.

Regards,

Steve.

P.S. - Be careful if you have an NVidia 7XXX card as some users have reported issues.

I am using a 7900GS and after updating to 10.6.2 I got kernel panic, I could however boot with out any issues into safe mode.

I have tried a few of the work arounds but without success, most users have reported that they can boot 10.6.2 without KP in 32bit, unfortunately I cannot boot into 32bit Mode.

My solution is that I need to update the 7900GS anyway so I will wait a while using 10.6.1 until I can find a new video card support.

In terms of testing updates and alike I the following setup which has proven effective:

1. Snow Leopard on Standalone HDD

2. Chameleon (PC EFI 10.5) bootloader on EFI partition. Keeps SL install clean.

3. Carbon Copier to mirror SL install onto another HDD

4. Use Bootloader (from 2.) to boot the backup partition (I use the same to Boot a Win7 Partition)

Test the updates and changes on that partition before applying them to the main parititon, and failures KPs of major errors, I just boot normally and Use carbon copier to restore the working install of SL. This way I always have a working Partition of SL to boot into. (It does take a while to Carbon Copy my entire SL install but it means I can use the test partition for a while to make sure nothing comes up after using it for a while.

Thanks all. Rowan.

Hi Terence,

Good luck.

Regards,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the heads up. I installed the combo update and removed disabler.kext and sleepenabler.kext(didn't need it in the first place) and left my E/E as it was. Booted fine but got frozen once and rebooted again in verbose. Got another KP when running iTunes. Rebooted and did a kext cache repair and fixed permission. Rebooted again and seems to be stable now?!?

Will monitor and revert.

Thanks for your help Steve!

P.S. Are the rest of the kexts except for the IOnetwork and Legacy HDA audio kexts necessary in the E/E folders?

Cheers!

Hey Man Great Tutorial and KEXTs man! I finally got my sound working. I've used ur v2.1 kexts and everything seems to be working. Sound. Lan. Even my info displays the proper ram speed.

But the only problem so far is that It cant detect my Lcd Monitor properly. Im using a 19 Inch samsung Lcd. I've changed the apple.boot.list to 1440x900 but the only view available is 1024 x768. Why?

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the heads up. I installed the combo update and removed disabler.kext and sleepenabler.kext(didn't need it in the first place) and left my E/E as it was. Booted fine but got frozen once and rebooted again in verbose. Got another KP when running iTunes. Rebooted and did a kext cache repair and fixed permission. Rebooted again and seems to be stable now?!?

Will monitor and revert.

Thanks for your help Steve!

P.S. Are the rest of the kexts except for the IOnetwork and Legacy HDA audio kexts necessary in the E/E folders?

Cheers!

That's good you got it working. Really strange about those freezes you got. I'm installing this on the sister model of the board GA-945P-S3 atm and noticed the same issue until I repaired the permissions using disk utility. This is something moarfish mentioned earlier in the thread. Oddly enough I didn't need to install the BSD.pkg after I finished installing using the OSInstall.mpkg method.

Regarding the kexts a few are to get your SATA & ATA/IDE drives working. There are 4 core files there that are needed for most setups "Null*", "Platform*", "fakesmc*", "OpenHaltRestart*". SleepEnabler allows sleep and the rest escapes my memory right now.

Hey Man Great Tutorial and KEXTs man! I finally got my sound working. I've used ur v2.1 kexts and everything seems to be working. Sound. Lan. Even my info displays the proper ram speed.

But the only problem so far is that It cant detect my Lcd Monitor properly. Im using a 19 Inch samsung Lcd. I've changed the apple.boot.list to 1440x900 but the only view available is 1024 x768. Why?

What graphics card are you using? Is this a laptop?

GA-945P-S3

Everything's working using kextpack 2.1 in OSX 10.6.0 except the audio. I did an audio dump and found it uses an ALC888 intel codec. The funny thing is that the pin information is identical to the ALC883 on the GA-965P-S3. I'll have a shot at modifying the DSDT to accomodate for the new Vendor ID and see if I can get the legacy kexts to match up to the hardware. Kext pack soon...

Im using a 965P DS3 Rev 1.0 So and a 7900gs. I noticed that the 7900gs had problems when updating to 10.6.2 according to other users. So Im sticking to the default version I guess.

Im still stuck at 1280x1024. I've added my efi string in com.applebootlist and my lcd resolution and its still the same. By the way are you guys experiencing any sluggishness or lag when u use expose? I notice it lags when I use it and whenever I minimize it, it'll lag abit when the windows shows the animation of it going into the dock.

Im using a 965P DS3 Rev 1.0 So and a 7900gs. I noticed that the 7900gs had problems when updating to 10.6.2 according to other users. So Im sticking to the default version I guess.

Im still stuck at 1280x1024. I've added my efi string in com.applebootlist and my lcd resolution and its still the same. By the way are you guys experiencing any sluggishness or lag when u use expose? I notice it lags when I use it and whenever I minimize it, it'll lag abit when the windows shows the animation of it going into the dock.

I have the same card and found that the EFI string that I used was not working properly. The update to 10.6.2 will cause KP in 64bit mode but should work in 32bit (and safe mode) from what I have read Apple have decided to stop support for the 7 series in 64bit (another way to make people spend more money).

I'm using 10.6.1 and find that expose works well so does Call of Duty 4 (Mac version) with using PC EFI 10.5 and GraphicEnabler=yes option.

Rowan

Kext pack for GA-945P-S3 (v10.6.0-1)

Just thought I'd post the Extra's folder that I'm running with.

Download Link : here

-LAN (Patched IONetworkingFamily)

-Audio (Analogue 7.1ch) ALC888 64/32-bit (/E/E/LegacyHDA kexts)

-Sleep (HPET + SleepEnabler kext)

-USB UHCI Fix

-CMOS Fix

-RTC Fix

The version of this kextpack shows you what version of OS X it is designed to run on.

I'll whip up a v10.6.2 tonight.

Regards,

Steve.

I have the same card and found that the EFI string that I used was not working properly. The update to 10.6.2 will cause KP in 64bit mode but should work in 32bit (and safe mode) from what I have read Apple have decided to stop support for the 7 series in 64bit (another way to make people spend more money).

I'm using 10.6.1 and find that expose works well so does Call of Duty 4 (Mac version) with using PC EFI 10.5 and GraphicEnabler=yes option.

Rowan

Hi Rowan,

Are you still having issues with Optical Out on your F14 of the GA-965P-S3 mobo? Can you post your dsdt and I'll see if I can help patch it for.

Regards,

Steve.

Rowan

Bro wad did you mean by GraphicEnabler=yes option? Wad did you do? My expose is pretty laggy for me

Oh great now I cant even boot into my usb. At first everything seemed ok. It could boot thru usb. Then something went wrong.

Expose was extremely laggy. And my ethernet couldnt be detected. Then I realised I didnt switched on the plug. Then I went to turn it on and got my wifi working on my macbook. But the system preferences on my hackintosh could detect ethernet. But when I click connect it just stayed there and jammed.

So I shut down the computer and now I cant even boot into my usb. Tried reformating the thumbdrive and it still the same. It gets stuck when in bios the part when it shows

/

boot

boot