Snow Leopard works in GA-965P-S3

moarfish

332 posts in this topic

10.6.5 also killed the modified marvel yukon kext for my network card, need to figure out if there is a way to create a separate kext that doesn't get overwritten everytime I install an update

Copy the native IONetworkingFamily.kext from /S/L/E to the desktop and edit the AppleYukon2.kext with your device ID etc. Place the edited kext into /E/E, run Kext Utility and reboot.

A better way to do this is to apply the GIGE patch to your DSDT (you'll find it in DSDT editor and patcher). Then you just need to use a legacy kext like this one in /Extra/Extensions.

If it's of any help here's my mostly-working AppleHDA kext (latest 10.6.8 one). My board is a Rev 1.0 with ALC883 (Address 2). There are no sound assertions. Tested on 10.6.8 with 64-bit kernel.

I've updated this a little. I don't think I can get any more parts working.

What works:

S/PDIF In

S/PDIF Out

Green, Black and Orange analog out (good for 5.1)

Line In

Rear Mic (with ambient noise reduction)

Front panel HP

What doesn't work:

Grey analog out (AppleHDA has a limit of 4 outputs so getting 7.1 analog out means losing digital out).

Front panel Mic (enabling breaks kext)

Replace AppleHDA.kext in /System/Library/Extensions with this one.

I've now removed the Legacy kext (seemed kinda pointless when the AppleHDA kext had to be edited anyway). Its edited plist is now part of the kext.

AppleHDA_10.6.8_ALC883_v4.zip

• 4 weeks later...
If it's of any help here's my mostly-working AppleHDA kext (latest 10.6.8 one). My board is a Rev 1.0 with ALC883 (Address 2). There are no sound assertions. Tested on 10.6.8 with 64-bit kernel.

What works:

S/PDIF Out

Green, Black and Orange analog out (good for 5.1)

Line In

Rear Mic (with ambient noise reduction)

Front panel HP

What doesn't work:

Grey analog out (AppleHDA has a limit of 4 outputs so getting 7.1 analog out means losing digital out).

S/PDIF In (shows up as an input but doesn't seem to take in any audio)

Front panel Mic (enabling breaks kext)

Place the AppleHDA.kext in /S/L/E and the Legacy kext in /E/E.

Hi guys! Did anybody succeed with this one? I've got curnel panic. But i did'n place files to specified locations. Just installed them with Kext helper.

Regards

P.S. I've tried multiple solutions from the web but none of them was really good for me. With modified AppleHDAs that work I've got poor bass and a kind of synthetic sound; with voodooHDA I've got noise. Isn't it better to get another sound card? Or is there a decision?

• 9 months later...

Hi,

I want to thank everyone for posting their experience with this mobo. Can anyone confirm or add a kext for the use of the onboard firewire. I recently did a fresh install S3 V2 and see there is no firewire device listed in system profiler.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

*snip*

I've now removed the Legacy kext (seemed kinda pointless when the AppleHDA kext had to be edited anyway). Its edited plist is now part of the kext.

Didn't work for me. I'm also on a 1.0 board on 10.6.8 64-bit, but it won't recognize the internal sound card. Not a big deal to me, as I only use my USB recording interface for sound, but still would be good to get it working as I may put this machine back in it's former home theater role.

Anybody have one of the older versions Riley posted? I'm only concerned with stereo in/out, no multichannel.

• 1 month later...

How important is the dsdt LPC device-id? Which one is correct? There are two in this thread and one on olarila.

Olarila: "0x15, 0x28"

MaLd0ns auto patcher: "0xB9, 0x27"

powaking: "0x18, 0x3A"

Ok, all of these are in the Info.plist in AppleLPC.kext. So I guess it doesn't matter. lspci states that it's really 2810, so I'll go with 2815 or 2811 from AppleLPC.