• Please log in to reply
331 replies to this topic

Ingram

Ingram

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Also, @Ingram, is your sound still not working? You've got a different set of audio kexts than I'm using. Still looking over the other kexts you posted. Also, your dsdt is around 5kb, where mine is 18kb. No idea what the difference is yet. Can these be decompiled?

iaslme can be used to compile/decompile those files.

I got my audio working with the kext I have there. It isn't the issue anymore, although I'd like to get it to work via dsdt one day (and minimally use kexts). The harddisk problem still exists - applications just freeze when HDD is in full use (case led is red) and if i want to open some application, it starts after the activity is gone. I have never had this issue before with leopard. Can't remember having it during first week of SL release either.

Ingram

Ingram

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I'm back home now and I noticed that xbench shows very low figures on disk test. I found this thread and tried to clear up the IRQ-s but it didn't work.

The issue looks similar to post #25 there.

E: I cleaned up my /E/E folder and accidentaly removed networking. Disk speeds increased a lot. Trying it twice now.

E2: Yes, it has some effect. Left is with networking .kext loaded & right one is without it.

http://i25.tinypic.com/dzv97p.png

FluffyLlama

FluffyLlama

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

I'm back home now and I noticed that xbench shows very low figures on disk test. I found this thread and tried to clear up the IRQ-s but it didn't work.

The issue looks similar to post #25 there.

E: I cleaned up my /E/E folder and accidentaly removed networking. Disk speeds increased a lot. Trying it twice now.

E2: Yes, it has some effect. Left is with networking .kext loaded & right one is without it.

http://i25.tinypic.com/dzv97p.png

Try putting your network kext in /S/L/E instead of /E/E. I can't remember the problem I had with it in /E/E, but I did have problems with it there. You'll have to replace the original IONetworkingFamily.kext there. Or try the one in my kext pack a few posts back, as it's a newer version (1.9, where yours is 1.8).

*edit* Forgot to mention, I get Xbench results around 60 for disk test with network kext, so similar to yours without networking.

Ingram

Ingram

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
I got almost everything working now by a lot of assistance from IRC - pity I had to disable the onboard lan. Now I am trying to understand how DSDT audio works.

Getting audio working is far more difficult than I have expected. I have already a set of working kexts but I was hoping to get all ports working. (rear orange and AC97 version of the front panel microphone aren't working with the supplied kext)

http://www.upload.ee...A.kext.zip.html

Parwo

Parwo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
hi guys,
i would like to post my xbench results to compare it with yours, in the past i have some (subjectively) performance-problems ...

here my results

Posted Image

my graphic: nvida 8800 gt 512 mb ram

Zakaria

Zakaria

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
Anyone tried updating their new update?

Powaking

Powaking

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Anyone tried updating their new update?

Updated my GA-P965-S3 v3.3 with 10.6.4, which was working perfectly, to 10.6.5 and I now have no audio. I managed to get Sleep working using a DSDT.aml file I found for this board. Graphics doesn't seem to have been affected at all (Nvidia 7300GS).

I have tried a number of kexts for this board and for this chip (ALC883) but I can not for the life of me get it working. Under System Profiler it lists the audio as an Intel HD audio but of course it still does not work.

Has anyone managed to get a working DSDT.aml for this board which will have the audio working? I couldn't modify my DSDT with some codes to use in a DSDT for this chip (kept getting compiling errors).

Parwo

Parwo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
You need to replace your appleHDA.kext in E/E

download this on, replace, repair permissions and reboot

Attached Files

Powaking

Powaking

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Tried it and was not successful. Do I keep the AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E? This board uses ALC883 not ALC888 not sure if that matters with this driver.

DoctorEvil30564

DoctorEvil30564

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Goth, Darkwave, Techno, Industrial, and Hard Rock Music<br /><br />Hacking (har...

Tried it and was not successful. Do I keep the AppleHDA.kext in S/L/E? This board uses ALC883 not ALC888 not sure if that matters with this driver.

I had been using the voodoohda kext for my onboard sound. the 10.6.5 update broke that kext for me so rather than have to deal with searching for an updated version of that kext I just bought a USB sound card that works out of the box with OSX

USB 2.0 Audio Adapter

10.6.5 also killed the modified marvel yukon kext for my network card, need to figure out if there is a way to create a separate kext that doesn't get overwritten everytime I install an update

Powaking

Powaking

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
Really hate to go the USB route. There's got to be a way to get this chipset working again. It was working fine on 10.6.4. This is the only thing thats causing me headache, everything else works: graphics with QE, Sleep and an HP BT dongle.

Zakaria

Zakaria

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
I wanted to update to 10.6.5 but I realized there is too many problems like Sleep, USB, Network and Sound.

MikeHunt79

MikeHunt79

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

10.6.5 also killed the modified marvel yukon kext for my network card, need to figure out if there is a way to create a separate kext that doesn't get overwritten everytime I install an update

You could use some shellscript to recreate your modified kext, so once you do the update all you have to do it run your shellscript and you should be good to go. :(

Zakaria

Zakaria

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

You could use some shellscript to recreate your modified kext, so once you do the update all you have to do it run your shellscript and you should be good to go. :)

How do you do that dude? I wanna update to 10.6.5 but I don't know what I should change for the kexts

Slither2008

Slither2008

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Slither's Kextpack for Snow Leopard 10.6.5

It's been a while since I checked this thread, but I thought I'd share my recent kext pack for GA-965-S3 Firmware version 14 running OS X 10.6.5. I understand that my rig may be different to someone elses with the same mobo, so feel free to take what you need and maybe learn from how I successfully configured mine.

Main changes :
- 10.6.5 compatible
- NullCpuPowerManagment is no longer needed
- AppleRTC is no longer needed
- Replaced OpenHaltRestart with EvoReboot
- Edited dsdt to allow AppleIntelCpuPowerManagment to run without KP
- Added a proper fakesmc that works in the /Extra folder
- Cpu temps should be recognised by iStat
- Added SleepEnabler.kext for 10.6.5 compatible in 64bit mode
- Edited com.apple.Boot.plist to enable dropssdt, generation of P & C-states by Chameleon RC5

Features :
- USB
- Built-in Sound 5.1 Analogue
- Nvidia 8800 (Change the EFI string for your own card)
- Built-in Network
- Shutdown/Restart/Sleep/Wake
- Native Apple Power Management
- CPU Temperature stats

Download Here : http://www.mediafire...al39c1oipgihvq7

How to install
1. Install Chameleon RC5 on your hard drive: http://www.insanelym...75#entry1543024
2. Copy the Extra folder from my kext pack to the root of your hard drive. i.e /Extra
3. Copy the AppleHDA.kext from my pack to your /System/Library/Extensions folder
4. Repair permissions and remove the mkext

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext
sudo rm -rf /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext

5. Open /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/ in your finder and wait until the system rebuilds it's Extensions.mkext.
6. Once you see the Extensions.mkext reboot.

Regards,

Steve.

FluffyLlama

FluffyLlama

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Features :
- USB
- Built-in Sound 5.1 Analogue
- Nvidia 8800 (Change the EFI string for your own card)
- Built-in Network
- Shutdown/Restart/Sleep/Wake
- Native Apple Power Management
- CPU Temperature stats

Thanks Steve! Got my sound and Lan working again on my test partition. I'm still getting a ton of sound assertions, but that's ok. Seems like 7.1 audio is working. Sleep works for me. My 8800 still works fine, though I did use my old EFI string as I have 2 DVI monitors.

A couple issues I'm looking into. First, my Via firewire card no longer works (thankfully I haven't updated my main partition; all my files are on a firewire drive). Card does not show up under PCI Cards in System Profiler.

Second, CPU temp stats do work in iStat Menus for me, but they're about 20c higher than the bios or my other partition. If I use the Bresink temperature monitor, I get CPU temps at around 14,000c! My temps never really go over 35c, either in Win7, bios, or my main SL install, and my test install tells me it's at ~55c.

Either way, I'm a step closer than I was last week. Thanks for the hard work!

Slither2008

Slither2008

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Thanks Steve! Got my sound and Lan working again on my test partition. I'm still getting a ton of sound assertions, but that's ok. Seems like 7.1 audio is working. Sleep works for me. My 8800 still works fine, though I did use my old EFI string as I have 2 DVI monitors.

A couple issues I'm looking into. First, my Via firewire card no longer works (thankfully I haven't updated my main partition; all my files are on a firewire drive). Card does not show up under PCI Cards in System Profiler.

Second, CPU temp stats do work in iStat Menus for me, but they're about 20c higher than the bios or my other partition. If I use the Bresink temperature monitor, I get CPU temps at around 14,000c! My temps never really go over 35c, either in Win7, bios, or my main SL install, and my test install tells me it's at ~55c.

Either way, I'm a step closer than I was last week. Thanks for the hard work!

It's no problem FluffyLlama,

I've noticed you're right about the temp readings. I'll have to look into if further. There must be an issue with the fakesmc.kext. I don't run any PCI cards in my rig but I'd say that maybe one of your kexts from your main partition may be the missing key to getting your firewire working as before.

If you can't find any difference between the kexts used in your main and 10.6.5 partition then our Chipset driver is most likely not working properly under 10.6.5.

Unfortunately I don't have any PCI cards to test with.

Hope you make some progress, I'll see if I can resolve the temp issue.

Regards,

Steve.

Slither2008

Slither2008

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
I've found a bit more info on how to properly configure fakesmc.

Each processor has a different Thermal Junction Maximum Temperature where it begins to throttle the CPU. I'm no expert at this but I'm guessing if you have the wrong TJMax value your CPU will continue chugging along until one hot day the CPU temp goes past the TJMax value and doesn't slow down to allow itself to cool.

To explain the high temperatures, this post by one of the previous developers of fakesmc summarized it quite well here : http://www.insanelym...p...&start=140#

So while it's just a cosmetic value, it doesn't accurately let the AppleIntelCpuPowerManagement kext know when to throttle your CPU. As dangerous as this sounds, you can simply fix this by finding out your exact processor revision and the TJMax value assigned to it. You then insert that TJMax value into the fakesmc's Info.plist.

Here are instructions to do that : http://www.insanelym...p...&start=140#

For example I have an old E6300 revision B2. With a bit of googling I found that it's TJMax should be set at 70 degrees Celsius.

Before changing this value in the fakesmc kext my temperature reading from iStat Menu 3 was 61 degrees Celsius idle. After it gave a more accurate reading of 31 degrees Celsius. You can compare it with the temperature you get when you look in your BIOS but be aware that the sensor used in your BIOS is a motherboard sensor and not coming from the on-die senor built into the CPU, the latter is the temperature that iStat Menu 3 is obtaining. So in short there may be slight differences between the iStat Menu 3 value and your BIOS but so long as they are close you should be fine.

One last thing I should mention, the dsdt file in my pack above has the intel Core2Duo Q6600 cpu values in the dsdt. I applied the patch supplied in DSDT Editor. I've set the com.apple.boot.plist to let Chameleon RC5 generate the P and C states so users with a different CPU to mine may need to modify their dsdt cpu values...I'm not 100% sure at this stage whether Chameleon is overriding this or not, as I'm finding too much conflicting information regarding the appropriate cpu values needed in the DSDT. I've seen there is a one-cpu-size fit's all dsdt patch and will try that later, noobs might want to hang out for my next kext pack.

Make these changes with caution and do your research on your processor thermal limits first :D

Regards,

Steve

Slither2008

Slither2008

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
A little more playing around...

There's no doubt about it NullCPUPowerManagment.kext IS required. I'm sure this is something that's already been covered a thousand times, but plain and simple the Apple power management kext just doesn't cut it for this hackintosh. I tried with and without and found that my rig runs 5 or more degrees cooler using NullCPUPowerManagment.kext.

I'm using a Q6600 revision G0 and found it's thermal junction max (TJMax) is 90 degrees.

http://www.tomshardw...news-29460.html

I modified the fakesmc's Info.plist tjmax to 90 and I'm now getting more normal temps of ~40c.

Here's a screenshot of my temps using iStat Menu 3 from a fresh install of Snow Leopard 10.6.5 :

http://www.mediafire...lhzjo573bw7fdll

Here's the updated kext pack : http://www.mediafire...mzea8w1csz94iwf

It's worth noting that Temperature monitor has a default tjmax set at 100 degrees Celsius so you'll get a different reading with app. I just use iStat menu 3 instead.

Regards,

Steve.

MaLd0n

MaLd0n

...filling veins with juice of chaos...

• Moderators
  • 11,137 posts
DSDT Auto-Patcher GA-965P-S3
Attached File  DSDT_Auto_Patcher_GA_965P_S3.zip   497.56KB   132 downloads
DTGP
HID/CID
HDEF/ALC883
IRQs
RTC
SMBUS
HPET
SHUTDOWN
EHCI
LPC
REMOVED DEVICES
WAK
RENAMED DEVICES

Extra
Attached File  Extra.zip   481.44KB   115 downloads

Native Power Management and Restart fix use Chameleon RC5

Add in boot.plist(see boot.plist the "Extra" folder)
<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
Posted Image

Download
Attached File  Chameleon_v2.0_RC5_r681.zip   1.03MB   55 downloads

AppleHda ALC883(You do not need legacy)
Attached File  AppleHDA.kext.zip   1.07MB   283 downloads

Regards :(

http://www.insanelym...howtopic=235523

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy