Snow Leopard works in GA-965P-S3

moarfish

332 posts in this topic

To anyone curious, I've updated my rig to run a fresh installation of OS X 10.6.6.

Working the same as before, I had to replace the AppleHDA.kext with the patched one Mald0n posted.

I'm running in RAID 0 also no probs.

Regards,

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...
To anyone curious, I've updated my rig to run a fresh installation of OS X 10.6.6.

Working the same as before, I had to replace the AppleHDA.kext with the patched one Mald0n posted.

Regards,

Steve.

What kext do you use for the PATA / IDE Drive?

Thanks,

- Tim.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have speedstep working?

I just can`t make it work via Chameleon RC5 P state and C state generation. Chameleon is r681, I tried newer, but still no go. CPU is C2D E6300. MSRtools shows Speedstep:Off

Do I need to add anything to dsdt or create ssdt? I really don't uderstand this, so please help :(

Thx!

My Extra folder, smbios.plist, com.apple.Boot.plist and dsdt:

post-476231-1299432511_thumb.png

post-476231-1299432599_thumb.png

post-476231-1299432589_thumb.png

dsdt.aml.zip

• 2 weeks later...

Updated SL from 10.6.4 to 10.6.6 via software update. Most stuff seems to work except no audio. VoodooHDA that was working under 10.6.4 causes KP and AppleHDA.kext does not detect any output device. Is there a working kext somewhere for this mobo?

Thanks.

UPDATE: I re-installed voodooHDA (downloaded from code.google.com), it didn't cause KP but still no sound. Systems detects HDMI, front headphone and SPIF as output devices. When I speak to the mic, the sound is echo to the speakers but nothing else.

Regards,

Steve.

Slither would you happen to know the major differences between the v1.0 and v3.3 of this board? I seem to have a bit of an issue with this machine since going to 10.6.6. I'm forced to use Voodoohda for audio (no matter what I can't get audio to work with DSDT and modified AppleHDA).

Any tips?

The thing that I bug me about voodooHDA is that I don't get normal sound. However, if I tap on my mic, tap sound is coming out of my speakers! Actually, I get noise from the speakers as I type because the mic picks up sound from my keyboard.

UPDATE: I gave up (for now) and installed my 16 yr old Sound Blaster Live. Other than the sound chip issue, the unit is running great.

By patching the 10.6.7 AppleHDA.kext with instruction from one of the thread here, I got audio from my ALC883 sound chip on my GA-965P DS3 v1.0. All I did is replace all "85 08 EC 10" with "83 08 EC 10" AppleHDA.kext. I tried so many different things and it is possible there are other stuff I did that may made a difference but I am not sure.

AppleHDA.kext.zip

How_to_patch_AppleHDA.zip

By patching the 10.6.7 AppleHDA.kext with instruction from one of the thread here, I got audio from my ALC883 sound chip on my GA-965P DS3 v1.0. All I did is replace all "85 08 EC 10" with "83 08 EC 10" AppleHDA.kext. I tried so many different things and it is possible there are other stuff I did that may made a difference but I am not sure.

This is promising news. I've tried previously to binary patch AppleHDA and could never get it working. I'm currently rebuilding my machine but running into some snags (if I have device-properties set for my graphics card it freezes at the blue screen just prior to the desktop, never did that before). Can you list out your steps? What other kexts are you using other thank FakeSMC?

This is promising news. I've tried previously to binary patch AppleHDA and could never get it working. I'm currently rebuilding my machine but running into some snags (if I have device-properties set for my graphics card it freezes at the blue screen just prior to the desktop, never did that before). Can you list out your steps? What other kexts are you using other thank FakeSMC?

Under E/E, I don't have a whole lot. The FakeSMC and IntelCPUMonitor.kext are from the thread "DSDT Auto-Patcher" to enable me to monitor speed & temp of my CPU.

post-316283-1300924636_thumb.png

Under E/E, I don't have a whole lot. The FakeSMC and IntelCPUMonitor.kext are from the thread "DSDT Auto-Patcher" to enable me to monitor speed & temp of my CPU.

What version of FakeSMC are you using? My machine is acting strange even with a fresh reinstall. If I get Bluetooth working its quirky, if I pick up the mouse to reposition the point shoots to the lower left corner. I can't boot into the desktop if I specify my gfx EFI string in device-properties tag (always worked before).

Did you happen to use Easy Beast? Did you just install retail, upgrade then install Chameleon? Trying to find the best path for installation. And to think I had this working beautifully before I upgraded to 10.6.6. Since then its been downhill.

What version of FakeSMC are you using? My machine is acting strange even with a fresh reinstall. If I get Bluetooth working its quirky, if I pick up the mouse to reposition the point shoots to the lower left corner. I can't boot into the desktop if I specify my gfx EFI string in device-properties tag (always worked before).

Did you happen to use Easy Beast? Did you just install retail, upgrade then install Chameleon? Trying to find the best path for installation. And to think I had this working beautifully before I upgraded to 10.6.6. Since then its been downhill.

I downloaded FakeSMC from http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showforum=165 .

I tried Easy Beast but it did not work. My setup was started with retail (followed the guide at http://www.insanelymac.com/2009/08/how-to-.../#comment-15475 ), all upgrades were done through software updates. As part of the initial installation, I installed Chameleon 2 RC4. Now I am running one of the RC5 build because some posts said I need it to get audio.

The only reason I updated to 10.6.6 (now 10.6.7) is because my GeForce 7900cs broke and I need to have it working with a HD4350.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been off-grid for a while now (upgraded to a then-unsupported AMD 6xxx series), but before that I had an almost fully functioning 10.6.4 Vanilla system on a Rev 1.0 board.

I'm about to update to 10.6.7, and looking at the screenshots above, I don't see SleepEnabler in E/E. Is it not needed anymore? Sleep is about the only thing that doesn't function right with current install.

Any tips/warnings for the update?

I've been off-grid for a while now (upgraded to a then-unsupported AMD 6xxx series), but before that I had an almost fully functioning 10.6.4 Vanilla system on a Rev 1.0 board.

I'm about to update to 10.6.7, and looking at the screenshots above, I don't see SleepEnabler in E/E. Is it not needed anymore? Sleep is about the only thing that doesn't function right with current install.

Any tips/warnings for the update?

I followed the instruction in the OP of http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=235523 to use native power management. Sleep works without any SleepEnabler.

I followed the instruction in the OP of http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=235523 to use native power management. Sleep works without any SleepEnabler.

Thanks, toolbox.

Updated to 10.6.7. Video working. No audio though, even with VoodooHDA (either x32 or x64)

I did read the guide, and edited the .plist accordingly, but Sleep still does not work. It goes to sleep, but doesn't resume. I have to cold reboot to wake the system. I used my existing DSDT.aml

Any suggestions?

Also, I still have NullCPUPowerManagement in E/E. Do I still need this kext?

This is my current boot.plist and E/E folder.

post-388493-1302112843_thumb.png

Thanks, toolbox.

Updated to 10.6.7. Video working. No audio though, even with VoodooHDA (either x32 or x64)

I did read the guide, and edited the .plist accordingly, but Sleep still does not work. It goes to sleep, but doesn't resume. I have to cold reboot to wake the system. I used my existing DSDT.aml

Any suggestions?

Also, I still have NullCPUPowerManagement in E/E. Do I still need this kext?

This is my current boot.plist and E/E folder.

post-388493-1302112843_thumb.png

I didn't have luck with VoodooHDA either. I patched AppleHDA.kext and is working with my 2 speakers setup.

I did re-generate DSDT.aml because I was trying different things to get audio. In the end, I don't know if the DSDT.aml is the same I had for 10.6.5 or not.

I do not have NullCPUPowerManagement in E/E.

I didn't have luck with VoodooHDA either. I patched AppleHDA.kext and is working with my 2 speakers setup.

I did re-generate DSDT.aml because I was trying different things to get audio. In the end, I don't know if the DSDT.aml is the same I had for 10.6.5 or not.

I do not have NullCPUPowerManagement in E/E.

Damn, got rid of NullCPU kext and now KP.

Will try the patched VoodooHDA tonight

Edit: Tried your patched VoodooHDA, toolbox, but it too gave me a KP.

Installed using Easy Beast method. Audio didn't work afterwards but used the VoodooHDA package from code.google.com and audio is working. Was able to get graphics working via EFI Studios but I don't have Sleep working. Seems like each of us are having different issues.

I am not using a DSDT file (at least I did not generate one using Maldon's Auto Patcher).

Installed using Easy Beast method. Audio didn't work afterwards but used the VoodooHDA package from code.google.com and audio is working. Was able to get graphics working via EFI Studios but I don't have Sleep working. Seems like each of us are having different issues.

I am not using a DSDT file (at least I did not generate one using Maldon's Auto Patcher).

Ah, you have a different rev. Mine is 1.0 which has a different audio chip IIRC.

I tried my edited DSDT as well patched one using Madlon's tool. Mine works better.

Do you have NullCPU kext installed?

Are you sure you don't have a DSDT file. If I don't use one, my BIOS' checksum will be messed up and I have to re-setup my BIOS settings every time I restart.

Pretty sure as I didn't see one in Extra folder (and when I looked in Lizard its not defined). I have tried numerous times to use DSDT but bluetooth would act quirky (pointer would move all over the place), Sleep wouldn't work, audio wouldn't work. Right now everything but sleep is working. And yes I still have NullCPU kext installed. Before I start futzing around with kexts I'm going to close this hard drive to another one. Also hesitant to install USB3 drivers for my USB3 card (that kept my machine back when it did sleep from going to full sleep).

• 3 weeks later...

I have finally got a fully working SL 10.6.7 on my Mobo. Everything works, graphics, sleep, bluetooth and audio. I am using the DSDT method and the only kexts I'm using are for the following: FakeSMC, Nic, JMicron, ALC8xx, AppleHDA (10.6.2; bin patching didn't work), IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector (to change orange HD internal icons to silver). Also using the device identifier for iMac9,1. If anyone is interested in my package of files let me know.

The only thing(s) that I have trouble with is USB3 (from the past I found that it breaks Sleep so not going to bother with that until thats resolved) and getting my Pin Configurations setup in DSDT so that I can get 4.1 audio instead of just 2.1 as I have right now. I do have my Codec dump which indicates I have the ALC888 codec but Gigabytes site states I have the ALC883 chipset.

If anyone is proficient in deciphering codec dumps into pin configurations then I'm all ears.

• 3 months later...