Snow Leopard works in GA-965P-S3

moarfish

332 posts in this topic

Features :

- USB

- Built-in Sound 5.1 Analogue

- Nvidia 8800 (Change the EFI string for your own card)

- Built-in Network

- Shutdown/Restart/Sleep/Wake

- Native Apple Power Management

- CPU Temperature stats

Thanks Steve! Got my sound and Lan working again on my test partition. I'm still getting a ton of sound assertions, but that's ok. Seems like 7.1 audio is working. Sleep works for me. My 8800 still works fine, though I did use my old EFI string as I have 2 DVI monitors.

A couple issues I'm looking into. First, my Via firewire card no longer works (thankfully I haven't updated my main partition; all my files are on a firewire drive). Card does not show up under PCI Cards in System Profiler.

Second, CPU temp stats do work in iStat Menus for me, but they're about 20c higher than the bios or my other partition. If I use the Bresink temperature monitor, I get CPU temps at around 14,000c! My temps never really go over 35c, either in Win7, bios, or my main SL install, and my test install tells me it's at ~55c.

Either way, I'm a step closer than I was last week. Thanks for the hard work!

Thanks Steve! Got my sound and Lan working again on my test partition. I'm still getting a ton of sound assertions, but that's ok. Seems like 7.1 audio is working. Sleep works for me. My 8800 still works fine, though I did use my old EFI string as I have 2 DVI monitors.

A couple issues I'm looking into. First, my Via firewire card no longer works (thankfully I haven't updated my main partition; all my files are on a firewire drive). Card does not show up under PCI Cards in System Profiler.

Second, CPU temp stats do work in iStat Menus for me, but they're about 20c higher than the bios or my other partition. If I use the Bresink temperature monitor, I get CPU temps at around 14,000c! My temps never really go over 35c, either in Win7, bios, or my main SL install, and my test install tells me it's at ~55c.

Either way, I'm a step closer than I was last week. Thanks for the hard work!

It's no problem FluffyLlama,

I've noticed you're right about the temp readings. I'll have to look into if further. There must be an issue with the fakesmc.kext. I don't run any PCI cards in my rig but I'd say that maybe one of your kexts from your main partition may be the missing key to getting your firewire working as before.

If you can't find any difference between the kexts used in your main and 10.6.5 partition then our Chipset driver is most likely not working properly under 10.6.5.

Unfortunately I don't have any PCI cards to test with.

Hope you make some progress, I'll see if I can resolve the temp issue.

Regards,

Steve.

I've found a bit more info on how to properly configure fakesmc.

Each processor has a different Thermal Junction Maximum Temperature where it begins to throttle the CPU. I'm no expert at this but I'm guessing if you have the wrong TJMax value your CPU will continue chugging along until one hot day the CPU temp goes past the TJMax value and doesn't slow down to allow itself to cool.

To explain the high temperatures, this post by one of the previous developers of fakesmc summarized it quite well here : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...&start=140#

So while it's just a cosmetic value, it doesn't accurately let the AppleIntelCpuPowerManagement kext know when to throttle your CPU. As dangerous as this sounds, you can simply fix this by finding out your exact processor revision and the TJMax value assigned to it. You then insert that TJMax value into the fakesmc's Info.plist.

Here are instructions to do that : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...&start=140#

For example I have an old E6300 revision B2. With a bit of googling I found that it's TJMax should be set at 70 degrees Celsius.

Before changing this value in the fakesmc kext my temperature reading from iStat Menu 3 was 61 degrees Celsius idle. After it gave a more accurate reading of 31 degrees Celsius. You can compare it with the temperature you get when you look in your BIOS but be aware that the sensor used in your BIOS is a motherboard sensor and not coming from the on-die senor built into the CPU, the latter is the temperature that iStat Menu 3 is obtaining. So in short there may be slight differences between the iStat Menu 3 value and your BIOS but so long as they are close you should be fine.

One last thing I should mention, the dsdt file in my pack above has the intel Core2Duo Q6600 cpu values in the dsdt. I applied the patch supplied in DSDT Editor. I've set the com.apple.boot.plist to let Chameleon RC5 generate the P and C states so users with a different CPU to mine may need to modify their dsdt cpu values...I'm not 100% sure at this stage whether Chameleon is overriding this or not, as I'm finding too much conflicting information regarding the appropriate cpu values needed in the DSDT. I've seen there is a one-cpu-size fit's all dsdt patch and will try that later, noobs might want to hang out for my next kext pack.

Make these changes with caution and do your research on your processor thermal limits first :D

Regards,

Steve

A little more playing around...

There's no doubt about it NullCPUPowerManagment.kext IS required. I'm sure this is something that's already been covered a thousand times, but plain and simple the Apple power management kext just doesn't cut it for this hackintosh. I tried with and without and found that my rig runs 5 or more degrees cooler using NullCPUPowerManagment.kext.

I'm using a Q6600 revision G0 and found it's thermal junction max (TJMax) is 90 degrees.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/intel-dts-sp...news-29460.html

I modified the fakesmc's Info.plist tjmax to 90 and I'm now getting more normal temps of ~40c.

Here's a screenshot of my temps using iStat Menu 3 from a fresh install of Snow Leopard 10.6.5 :

http://www.mediafire.com/?lhzjo573bw7fdll

Here's the updated kext pack : http://www.mediafire.com/?mzea8w1csz94iwf

It's worth noting that Temperature monitor has a default tjmax set at 100 degrees Celsius so you'll get a different reading with app. I just use iStat menu 3 instead.

Regards,

Steve.

DSDT Auto-Patcher GA-965P-S3

DSDT_Auto_Patcher_GA_965P_S3.zip

DTGP

HID/CID

HDEF/ALC883

IRQs

RTC

SMBUS

HPET

SHUTDOWN

EHCI

LPC

REMOVED DEVICES

WAK

RENAMED DEVICES

Extra

Extra.zip

Native Power Management and Restart fix use Chameleon RC5

Add in boot.plist(see boot.plist the "Extra" folder)

<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>

mald0n20101028s151159.png

Download

Chameleon_v2.0_RC5_r681.zip

AppleHda ALC883(You do not need legacy)

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Regards :(

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=235523

This kext package put my machine on the fritz. Took some doing but got it back to working condition. I then realized why. My board is rev3.3 and it appears this package was for rev1.0 board. I did upgrade the Chameleon from RC4 r684 to RC5 r681. No problems there. The DSDT patcher may have caused some issues to bluetooth as my bluetooth keyboard stopped working and my bluetooth mouse was all over the place.

Everything working as you suggested thanks!

I used your DSDT patcher you supplied and removed all the unnecessary kexts to get this as Vanilla as possible.

I had to keep my own ATA, Networking, FakeSMC kexts. I couldn't get temps with the FakeSMC version you supplied.

Working

-Native Sleep,Restart/Shutdown

-Native PowerManagement.

-Sound (No Sound assertions!)

-Bluetooth dongle works fine (mini Belkin usb).

-Full Graphics Acceleration

-USB (proper removal when going to sleep)

-No CMOS errors on restart

Very happy with the set up now :D

Thanks again mate!

DSDT Auto-Patcher GA-965P-S3

DSDT_Auto_Patcher_GA_965P_S3.zip

DTGP

HID/CID

HDEF/ALC883

IRQs

RTC

SMBUS

HPET

SHUTDOWN

EHCI

LPC

REMOVED DEVICES

WAK

RENAMED DEVICES

Extra

Extra.zip

Native Power Management and Restart fix use Chameleon RC5

Add in boot.plist(see boot.plist the "Extra" folder)

<key>GeneratePStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>
<key>GenerateCStates</key>
<string>Yes</string>

mald0n20101028s151159.png

Download

Chameleon_v2.0_RC5_r681.zip

AppleHda ALC883(You do not need legacy)

AppleHDA.kext.zip

Regards ;)

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=235523

I used your DSDT patcher you supplied and removed all the unnecessary kexts to get this as Vanilla as possible.

I had to keep my own ATA, Networking, FakeSMC kexts. I couldn't get temps with the FakeSMC version you supplied.

Working

-Native PowerManagement.

Very happy with the set up now ;)

Thanks again mate!

:wacko:

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Hey guys thnx for the update. Manage to get 10.6.5 up and running.

However I notice something different though. I was using the old RC2 at first and got sound and everything else up and running. I notice it could detect my Windows Harddisk which was connected at the Yellow Sata slot. Then I went and installed RC5, it disappeared and couldnt detect. I wonder why.

Working

-Native PowerManagement.

Very happy with the set up now ;)

Thanks again mate!

;)

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Hi Slither 2008 & MaLd0n,

After reading through all the posts in this thread and try out all the audio kexts from here and googling, I still have no luck getting the audio driver to work on my 965P-S3 Rev 3.3 with BIOS version F13I.

I've tried the DSDT patcher by MaLd0n together with the AppleHDA provided on 10.6.5 installed with Kext Utility. The audio (built-in) is recognised as Intel High Definition Audio but it is not functioning at all.

Is it because I'm installing all the kext wrongly? How to do a clean install and remove of kexts?

I feel very frustrated that the audio is not working at all (yes, I tried voodooHD but it has "popping" sound randomly) since it is the most basic part of a com.

Sleep also doesn't seem to work with the DSDT generated using DSDT patcher. After the computer woke up with keyboard it just boot back into the ACPI BIOS and got through chameleon again and received kernel panic.

Any idea? Please guide me if you know. Thanks.

After reading through all the posts in this thread and try out all the audio kexts from here and googling, I still have no luck getting the audio driver to work on my 965P-S3 Rev 3.3 with BIOS version F13I.

I've tried the DSDT patcher by MaLd0n together with the AppleHDA provided on 10.6.5 installed with Kext Utility. The audio (built-in) is recognised as Intel High Definition Audio but it is not functioning at all.

Is it because I'm installing all the kext wrongly? How to do a clean install and remove of kexts?

I feel very frustrated that the audio is not working at all (yes, I tried voodooHD but it has "popping" sound randomly) since it is the most basic part of a com.

Sleep also doesn't seem to work with the DSDT generated using DSDT patcher. After the computer woke up with keyboard it just boot back into the ACPI BIOS and got through chameleon again and received kernel panic.

the ideal is a clean installation

AppleHda in folder S/L/E

and then run the program

do not drag the kext to the program

thus should only create the mkext

two clicks

and wait

What is your video card?

the ideal is a clean installation

AppleHda in folder S/L/E

and then run the program

do not drag the kext to the program

thus should only create the mkext

two clicks

and wait

What is your video card?

Hi MaLd0n, do you mean just paste and replace the appleHDA from 10.6.5 in S/L/E? After that then run Kext Utility to rebuilt cache and permission?

Also, how can I safely back up, uninstall and reinstall? Because when I uninstalled voodooHDA for a try-out the voodooHDA control panel is still available under the system preference winodw (this is ugly).

My video card is 9800 GTX+ with 1 GB ram which seem working under the graphic enabler by chameleon since I didn't add any EFI string into boo.plist nor using any NV kexts, though the video card only recognized by the name of 9800 GTX with 1 GB ram with the same NVCAP as a 9400 GT posted by tonymacosx86. Wonder if the NVCAP for the different cards fromt the same series are the same.

But how does a different graphic card matters?

Tried hard-coded the 9800 GTX+ into DSDT to make it as vanilla as possible with the tutorial by tonymacosx86 but no luck at all. How can I test that I'm using the DSDT inside Extra?

I tried to extract the raw DSDT without any kexts loaded and edit the DSDT with DSDTSE alone with fixes like HPET, DTGP and CMOS, but the system doesn't behave like it is using DSDT at all with KP after wake from sleep. Is it because of my mobo? Does the newer mobo face the same problem as mine?

I can hardly find any post related to the mobo I'm using since it is old, but I want to use the board as long as possible before I decided to buy a new one to save money as well as environment. Just feel not very worth to use new mobo when I have the old ones that works. I thought of selling the old hardware away but how much out of the original price I can actually get from the sale?

Thank you.

Hi MaLd0n, do you mean just paste and replace the appleHDA from 10.6.5 in S/L/E? After that then run Kext Utility to rebuilt cache and permission?

Yep

back up and replace

:D

Video in pci0

Hi Onepiece634,

I noticed exactly the same odd sleep behaviour. I don't put my machine to sleep normally as it kills my belkin usb dongle.

To those interested I'm running the following :

Screenshot2010-12-30at65702PM.png

Hi MaLd0n,

Is there anyway to check whether P state and C state is working?

Sounds still no luck at all. I have tried all the bin patched AppleHDA.kexts for ALC883 available on the web since I don't have the resources to go through all the steps to patch one on my own.

Well, the audio is recognize as

Some posts suggest that the device address found with IORegistryExplorer might be different in various mobo and a change of 0x001B0000 in DSDT under the HPET part is needed. But I don't know where to find the device address.

Is it possible to just get the hardware recognize and function with just DSDT?

Actually what is the cause for the "popping sound" when running voodooHDA.kext? I don't mind using voodooHDA.kext since I need to using so many kexts in the first place and there is still a need to use back the old kexts after an major software update (such as the upcoming Mac App Store) as long as the driver for audio and internet is not hard coded into DSDT.

Thank you and sorry for being noob.

Slither 2008,

After I checked all the the boxes under Energy Saver I got sleep working. However the sleep in Snow Leopard is different from normal sleep with blinking LED power indicator when using Window 7, I should say it look more like hibernate in Window 7 with all fans switched off, though it can resume back to when I had stop. (So can I say the sleep works normally?)

I use only the AppleHDA.kext provided by MaLd0n in earlier post and the DSDT extracted and patch with DSDT Patcher. Have you used anything else beside that?

I wonder why the audio only can be recognized but not working in my mobo even though we have the audio hardware but different rev of mobo.

Can you explain what does each kext do in your first screen shot beside fakesmc and ionetworkingfamily? Sorry for being noob and curious.

Are your IOnextworkingfamily working even you put under E/E? Why didn't you replace the one in S/L/E?

post-625542-1293715773_thumb.png

post-625542-1293721476_thumb.png

Hi MaLd0n,

Sounds still no luck at all. I have tried all the bin patched AppleHDA.kexts for ALC883 available on the web since I don't have the resources to go through all the steps to patch one on my own.

Well, the audio is recognize as

Some posts suggest that the device address found with IORegistryExplorer might be different in various mobo and a change of 0x001B0000 in DSDT under the HPET part is needed. But I don't know where to find the device address.

Actually what is the cause for the "popping sound" when running voodooHDA.kext? I don't mind using voodooHDA.kext since I need to using so many kexts in the first place and there is still a need to use back the old kexts after an major software update (such as the upcoming Mac App Store) as long as the driver for audio and internet is not hard coded into DSDT.

Slither 2008,

After I checked all the the boxes under Energy Saver I got sleep working. However the sleep in Snow Leopard is different from normal sleep with blinking LED power indicator when using Window 7, I should say it look more like hibernate in Window 7 with all fans switched off, though it can resume back to when I had stop. (So can I say the sleep works normally?)

I use only the AppleHDA.kext provided by MaLd0n in earlier post and the DSDT extracted and patch with DSDT Patcher. Have you used anything else beside that?

I wonder why the audio only can be recognized but not working in my mobo even though we have the audio hardware but different rev of mobo.

I'm in the exact same position as you. My sleep no longer works and for me to get Audio working I have to use Voodoohda as well. I don't like the popping noise and when sleep did work waking the machine up would result in not having immediate audio.

Up until 10.6.5 I had everything working. Something in 10.6.5 update broke the audio and resulted in having to use numerous kexts.

As you can see from my signature I have the same revision board as you. Hopefully we can find an easy solution. Right now VoodooHDA doesn't want to work now (when I try to bring up the prefpanel I get a registry error. I've seen this before but forgot how I fixed it). Edit: Audio was disabled in BIOS probably from when I resetted my BIOS settings.

I'm in the exact same position as you. My sleep no longer works and for me to get Audio working I have to use Voodoohda as well. I don't like the popping noise and when sleep did work waking the machine up would result in not having immediate audio.

Up until 10.6.5 I had everything working. Something in 10.6.5 update broke the audio and resulted in having to use numerous kexts.

As you can see from my signature I have the same revision board as you. Hopefully we can find an easy solution. Right now VoodooHDA doesn't want to work now (when I try to bring up the prefpanel I get a registry error. I've seen this before but forgot how I fixed it). Edit: Audio was disabled in BIOS probably from when I resetted my BIOS settings.

Hi, powaking,

I think the 10.6.5 only replaced the patched kext for ALC883 that you have installed earlier on. So just install back the old working patched kext should resolved the problem.

For sleep make sure you are using the fakesmc.kext and dsdt and check all the boxes under Energy Saver from the System preference panel.

I doubt the problems lies on the audio injection of the DSDT since DSDT extracted from a different BIOS version of the same board is slightly different, so copying the audio section of the DSDT from a working PC of one BIOS version might not be usable on another PC with a different BIOS version.

But my audio is recognized as shown as my attach screenshot but I got sound assertions during booting.

Anyway, how you enable your graphic? Do you know how to enable the graphic through DSDT?

Hi, powaking,

I think the 10.6.5 only replaced the patched kext for ALC883 that you have installed earlier on. So just install back the old working patched kext should resolved the problem.

I don't have a time machine backup of when I was on 10.6.4 so unless someone has an unpatched AppleHDA.kext from 10.6.4 (I could try to extract it from a Combo update I suppose).

For sleep make sure you are using the fakesmc.kext and dsdt and check all the boxes under Energy Saver from the System preference panel.

I have FaceSMC.kext in my /E/E so not sure what else it could be. I only had the first and third check boxes checked in Energy Saver. Checked the other two so will see how that works.

Edit: Replace FakeSMC.kext with a fakesmc.kext file I had laying around and sleep now works.

I doubt the problems lies on the audio injection of the DSDT since DSDT extracted from a different BIOS version of the same board is slightly different, so copying the audio section of the DSDT from a working PC of one BIOS version might not be usable on another PC with a different BIOS version.

But my audio is recognized as shown as my attach screenshot but I got sound assertions during booting.

I compared the 2 boards on Gigabytes website (rev1.0 and rev3.3) and they are both listed as having the exact hardware setup. Only thing I can think of is they are addressed differently.

Anyway, how you enable your graphic? Do you know how to enable the graphic through DSDT?

My graphics is enabled via EFI in Chameleon under device-properties. Works well.

Hi MaLd0n,

ioreg -lw0 | grep PerformanceStateArray

ioreg -lw0 | grep CSTInfo

Device (AZAL)
           {
               Name (_ADR, [color="#FF0000"][b]0x001B0000[/b][/color])
               Method (_PRW, 0, NotSerialized)
               {
                   Return (Package (0x02)
                   {
                       0x0D, 
                       0x05
                   })
               }
           }

rename to HDEF(all instances) and Apply

Audio?

Nope

DSDT+Legacy+AppleHda

AppleHda

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x85\x08\xec\x10|\x83\x08\xec\x10|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

Legacy

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140941

or

AppleHda binary and plist mod(not needing the legacy)

GPUs

many work on the DSDT, only

DSDT+Legacy+AppleHda

AppleHda

sudo perl -pi -e 's|\x85\x08\xec\x10|\x83\x08\xec\x10|g' /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleHDA

Legacy

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140941

or

AppleHda binary and plist mod(not needing the legacy)

This is interesting because in my DSDT from the autopatcher I have this for my HDEF

Device (HDEF)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
			{
				Return (Package (0x02)
				{
					0x0D, 
					0x05
				})
			}

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			{
				Store (Package (0x08)
					{
						"codec-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x83, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
						}, 

"layout-id", 
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
						}, 

"device-type", 
						Buffer (0x0F)
						{
							"Realtek ALC883"
						}, 

"PinConfigurations", 
						Buffer (One)
						{
							0x00
						}
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			}
		}

Looking at the Buffer section do I also need to include \x85\x08\xec\x10 in the perl script or just omit it and use \x83\x08\xec\x10 in the script?

This is interesting because in my DSDT from the autopatcher I have this for my HDEF

Looking at the Buffer section do I also need to include \x85\x08\xec\x10 in the perl script or just omit it and use \x83\x08\xec\x10 in the script?

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...amp;hl=applehda

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?...post&p=9687

Device (HDEF)
		 {
			 Name (_ADR, 0x001B0000)
			 {
				 Return (Package (0x02)
				 {
					 0x0D, 
					 0x05
				 })
			 }

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			 {
				 Store (Package (0x08)
					 {
						 "codec-id", 
						 Buffer (0x04)
						 {
							 0x83, 0x08, 0xEC, 0x10
						 }, 

"layout-id", 
						 Buffer (0x04)
						 {
							 0x0C, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
						 }, 

"device-type", 
						 Buffer (0x0F)
						 {
							 "Realtek ALC883"
						 }, 

"PinConfigurations", 
						 Buffer (One)
						 {
							 0x00
						 }
					 }, Local0)
				 DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				 Return (Local0)
			 }
		 }

After trying so many different ways to enable the audio and failed one by one, I have given up on enabling the audio through the appleHDA.kext and went with voodooHDA version 0.2.2 and no more popping noise. I don't mind using voodooHDA before any new method are available when Snow Leopard sure going to have another update for its Mac AppStore. I don't really need mic or any surround sound since I don't have the hardware to allow me to do so, so I'm satisfied with voodooHDA as long as sounds are working.

There is a method I haven't tried. Try bin-patching the AppleHDA from 10.6.2 which you can get from the applehda rollback function from [url=&quot;http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/279450-why-insanelymac-does-not-support-tonymacx86/&quot;]#####[/url] by Tonymacx86 and go with the patched DSDT to see if it works since other Realtek Audio also facing problem using newer version of AppleHDA + LegacyHDA + DSDT patch.

ioreg -lw0 | grep PerformanceStateArray

ioreg -lw0 | grep CSTInfo

Hi MaLd0n I got

"| | | "PerformanceStateArray" = (<4b070000c0570000a00000000a0000000036000000000000>,<40060000c0570000a00000000a0000003601000001000000>)"

from the first command and

"| | | "CSTInfo" = 19136773"

from the second command.

So is P state and C state working?

Hi MaLd0n I got

"| | | "PerformanceStateArray" = (,)"

from the first command and

"| | | "CSTInfo" = 19136773"

from the second command.

So is P state and C state working?

Yep

:D