Snow Leopard works in GA-965P-S3

moarfish

332 posts in this topic

Snow Leopard on my GA-965P-S3

Display is 9500GT 512MB

I have followed the guide here: hxxp://www.insanelymac.com/2009/08/how-to-install-snow-leopard-10a432-on-pc-hackintosh/

(The forum automatically changed the domain name to insanelymac.com which should be something like i hackintosh)

After following the guide, I got kernel panic.

I try to boot with -v -x32 and it stuck in waiting for AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement

I replace the FakeSMC with the new version in Netkas site.

Now I can boot to the welcome screen and in the desktop but not network and sound.

2009-08-28 Ethernet Fixed by replacing IONetworkingFamily.kext (Search in Post-Installation Forum for the Marvell Yukon 88E8056, there is an attachment for our ethernet card)

2009-08-28 Fixed Sound with VoodooHDA.kext (The new one works with 64bit)

[FIXED] Found new Problem!! When trying to do permission repair through disk utility, I got the following error message:

Error: No installer packages can be found for this disk

and it stop

Please fix by reinstall the BSD.pkg through the installation disc. If you are facing "Installation Failed", run kext utility, restart and install BSD.pkg again, it should be install successful.

Disk Utility Problem solved by reinstall BSD.pkg which can be found in the SL DVD or the image of it.

Use kext utility to rebuilt the kext cache in order to prevent random Kernel Panic

I have this exact board. I'm currently at 10.5.6. Did you do an upgrade or did you boot off a retail SL DVD? I know you explained what you did but mind listing out the steps and utilities used?

Much appreciated!

Edit: Link to that guide can't be found. Mind reposting the correct links?

I have two Hard disk

1 for Snow Leopard another is the old Leopard. I always install new OS in the new Hard disk so that if anything unexpected happen, I still have the old version working.

Step 1. Boot into Leopard and run disk utiltiy, create a single partition in the New Harddisk with GUID table

Step 2. Mount Snow Leopard image file and Press Command shift G in Finder and type "/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/"

Step 3 Run OSInstall.mpkg and select the Snow Leopard Drive to install. Select Custom and deselect the printer driver. I cannot complete the installation with printer driver clicked. I don't know why.

Step 4 Install Chameleon 2 RC1 into Snow Leopard drive. (I don't know how to make RC2 to work with snow leopard). Replace the "boot" file with the one working with snow leopard. Please download in the link above.

Step 5 Run OSX86tools and create a EFI String for 9500GT and put into the com.apple.Boot.plist file inside Extra

Step 6 Put all those kexts included in the tutorial above. However, you need to install the latest FakeSMC in netkas.org or you cannot boot.

Step 7 Install VoodooHDA.kext with OSX86tools for sound

Step 8 Create Extensions.mkext file using kext utility and put inside Extra

Step 9 Change the BIOS settings and let it boot the Snow Leopard Drive

Step 10 boot with -v -x32 to boot using 32 bit mode

Step 11 Complete the setup process

Step 12 Install BSD.pkg again to fix Disk Utility problem

Step 13 Run Kext utility to fix the random Kernel Panic problem.

Step 14 Reboot and let it boot into 64bit mode.

Everytime you reboot, you will facing CMOS Checksum error, just restore it to the last time setting and it will boot fine.

I found that it is caused by Chameleon 2 RC1 as I have no error using RC2. However, I cannot let RC2 boot Snow Leopard without problem at the moment. Please let me know how to switch to RC2 if you know.

(Already confirmed it is caused by Snow Leopard itself, and need DSDT patch to fix the problem. I am still trying hard to learn the DSDT patch guide but I do not have Windows machine and Snow Leopard cannot run Parallels 3.0 properly while my CPU do not support Parallels 4.0 which VT is a must)

Thank you

I have this exact board. I'm currently at 10.5.6. Did you do an upgrade or did you boot off a retail SL DVD? I know you explained what you did but mind listing out the steps and utilities used?

Much appreciated!

Edit: Link to that guide can't be found. Mind reposting the correct links?

It seems that the forum automactically changed the domain name to insanelymac.com which should be i hackintosh

moarfish,

Thanks for sharing your notes. I was able to get everything running with Chameleon 2 RC1 on a GA-965P-DS3 v3.3. Have you had any luck with RC2 since your last post? I'm affected too by the CMOS bug and it's a bit annoying.

One interesting note is when I boot in 64-bit mode, my wireless stopped working. The card is a PCIe 802.11n normally recognized as an AirPort card in Leopard and 32-bit Snow Leopard. I was stumped until looking through the output of kextutil. The message was that the Atheros drivers were not available for a 64-bit architecture. Is this intentional, or did Apple not have time to write these drivers for a 64-bit kernel?

Oh well. From reading a bit, it seems that the 64-bit kernel doesn't buy you much unless you have 32GB+ RAM anyway, so back to 32-bit for me.

After reading some post in this forum, I found that the problem may be not caused by the bootloader but Snow Leopard itself.

The solution will be modification on the DSDT. I will try and get back to you here.

I will post the DSDT file here for those who use the same board.

After reading some post in this forum, I found that the problem may be not caused by the bootloader but Snow Leopard itself.

The solution will be modification on the DSDT. I will try and get back to you here.

I will post the DSDT file here for those who use the same board.

That would be greatly appreciated please.

I have a two question please.

In your BIOS Settings under "Integrated Peripherals"

What have you got for the following :

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode : [ENABLED or DISABLED]

OnBoard SATA/IDE Device : [ENABLED or DISABLED]

OnBoard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode : [iDE or AHCI or RAID/IDE]

Also which sata port have you got your Snow HDD connected to on your mobo please.

The ports names are :

Intel ICH8 Chipset

SATAII 0

SATAII 1

SATAII 2

SATAII 3

JMicron Chipset

GSATAII 0

GSATAII 1

I've attached a picture of the GA-965P-S3 mobo to save you opening your case to check.

SATA-S3.png

Would you be able to upload all the kext's you're using atm please? :)

I'm interested in making boot-132 iso if it's possible... so if we could collect all kexts which work for each revision. I'm running GA-965P-S3 rev 3.3

I'm running v1.0. I'll be running through this tutorial tonight and will post my results plus kexts (fingers crossed).

i've got a Rev.1.0 of this board, if that would help you all out with testing. I haven't tried Snow yet, but i'd be happy to try it out if it'll help you all out with finding the right kexts.

Good stuff! That's the same board as mine. Hopefully we'll get it going soon.

Thanks to moarfish's guide and info I cleaned up the guide a little. I don't wish to take any credit just to make that clear as it is all moarfish's work.

Required Files

Extra Kexts : http://www.insanelymac.com/2009/08/how-to-...-pc-hackintosh/

Updated FakeSMC by netkas : http://netkas.org/?p=155

Kext Utility : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140647

Installation Guide

Step 1. Boot into Leopard and run disk utiltiy, create a single partition in the New Harddisk with GUID table

Step 2. Mount Snow Leopard image file and Press Command shift G in Finder and type "/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages/"

Step 3. Run OSInstall.mpkg and select the Snow Leopard Drive to install. Select Custom and deselect the printer driver.

Step 4. Install Chameleon 2 RC1 into Snow Leopard drive. Replace the "boot" file with the one working with snow leopard. Download in the link above.

Step 5. Run OSX86tools and create a EFI String for 9500GT and put into the com.apple.Boot.plist file inside Extra

Step 6. Put all those kexts included in the tutorial above. However, you need to install the latest FakeSMC in netkas.org or you cannot boot.

Step 7. Install VoodooHDA.kext with OSX86tools for sound

Step 8. Create Extensions.mkext file using kext utility and put inside Extra

Step 9. Change the BIOS settings and let it boot the Snow Leopard Drive

Step 10. boot with -v -x32 to boot using 32 bit mode

Step 11. Complete the setup process

Step 12. Install BSD.pkg again to fix Disk Utility problem

Step 13. Run Kext utility to fix the random Kernel Panic problem.

Step 14. Reboot and let it boot into 64bit mode.

Off Topic

In regards to installing from USB. I was tinkering with this yesterday.

I made a bootable usb drive with Snow Leopard on it and Chameleon to allow it to boot. I booted from it and got successfully into the Snow Leopard install screen. The only issue I got was that it couldn't detect any SATA drives. I've tried several IDE Controller Kexts 32-bit/64-bit , re-applying kext utility on the E/E folder, playing around with the BIOS settings(hence my first post here)....and no luck. Once I get this going I'm going to burn it all to a DVD for a bootable OS X 10.6 Install Disc (with all kext's required for GA-965P-S3).

Has anyone else had this controller / sata issue? My drives are connected to the 4 sata ports of the ICH8 IDE Controller.

Possible CMOS error DSDT fix.

Author & Thanks go to : BlackOSX

Thread/Topic : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=177497

PDF Download Link : http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&u...p%3F3ekqd5nlml5

The PDF guide by BlackOSX is actually quite good. It shows how you can easily add in your GFX, LAN and SOUND settings in the DSDT so you don't need to use EFI Strings.

I noticed in the guide he doesn't mention how you decompile your dsdt.aml manually.

Going by memory :

This decompiles your aml file

iasl -d dsdt.aml

This gives you a dsdt.dsl file which you apply the fix to by using a text editor to make the change i.e. nano or vi

This compiles it again

iasl -c dsdt.dsl

The iasl tool should come with the DSDT patcher.

I'd be interested to see if this actually fixes it. I noticed when I looked through my own unpatched DSDT file that the code that is apparently causing this CMOS bug on the GA-EP45-DS3L board is the same as my GA-965P-S3 v.10 board.

Before :

Device (RTC)
{
	Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
	Name (_CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
	{
		IO (Decode16,
		0x0070, // Range Minimum
		0x0070, // Range Maximum
		0x00, // Alignment
		0x04, // Length
	   )
	})
}

After :

Device (RTC)
 {
	 Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))
	 Name (_CRS, ResourceTemplate ()
	 {
		 IO (Decode16,
		 0x0070, // Range Minimum
		 0x0070, // Range Maximum
		 0x00, // Alignment
		 0x02, // Length
		)
	 })
}

Let me know if anyone else manages to have any success from moarfish's guide.

Regards,

Slither2008

Regarding the BIOS setting, I made a screen shoot for it.

img7289.jpg

And the CMOS reset error screen shoot as well

img7288.jpg

Connect to those Orange Connectors and run in AHCI mode.

I'm not sure whether Snow Leopard require this settings or not but my old Leopard install only allow AHCI SATA port harddrive to boot.

Regarding the BIOS setting, I made a screen shoot for it.

And the CMOS reset error screen shoot as well

Connect to those Orange Connectors and run in AHCI mode.

I'm not sure whether Snow Leopard require this settings or not but my old Leopard install only allow AHCI SATA port harddrive to boot.

Hi Moarfish,

Thanks for your screenshots. I followed your instructions and a few extra steps and so far have got the welcome screen up.

Things I'm currently working on.

-Audio

-Network

I found the fix is still the same as it was for Leopard.

Configuring Networking

For working Marvell 88E8056 Ethernet you have to edit the Info.plist inside :

IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/

sudo -s

Your password, then

nano /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleYukon2.kext/Contents/Info.plist

find this string : [Tip: if you use nano it's easier to find this string if you press ctrl+w (whereis option) and type "53" then press Enter.]

Code: <string>Marvell</string>

</dict>

<key>Yukon-88E8053</key>

<dict>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

and replace 3 with 6

then find :

Code: <key>IOPCIPrimaryMatch</key>

<string>0x436211ab</string> and replace 0x436211ab with 0x436411ab (2 with 4)

then finally replace the "3" from

Code: <key>Model</key>

<string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053 Singleport Copper$</string>

with "6" so it will look like this:

Code: <key>Model</key>

<string>Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8056 Singleport Copper$</string>

save the file, chown and chmod the extensions:

Code: chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/*

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/*

and reboot

I'm still looking into Audio atm. What version VoodooHDA are you using please? I found the one on googlecode at version 2.1. I placed it in the E/E folder then kext utility'd it but no sound during the Welcome screen.

I have kept restarting and not finishing the Welcome screen wizard coz I want to get the extra folder set up correctly before I boot for the first time in Snow Leopard....silly I know...lol.

Seems VoodooHDA not work well in E/E.

I put it in to S/L/E Instead.

Just take the IONetworkingFamily.kext in the post here in #6 and you are done for network

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181668

I put it in to S/L/E, I don't know E/E will work or not.

I forget where did I find the VoodooHDA, may be I just post it here.

For peoples who don't know how to edit the kext file, I just put the IONetworkingfamily here.

I put it in S/L/E

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

IONetworkingFamily.kext.zip

Seems VoodooHDA not work well in E/E.

I put it in to S/L/E Instead.

Just take the IONetworkingFamily.kext in the post here in #6 and you are done for network

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181668

I put it in to S/L/E, I don't know E/E will work or not.

I forget where did I find the VoodooHDA, may be I just post it here.

For peoples who don't know how to edit the kext file, I just put the IONetworkingfamily here.

I put it in S/L/E

Thanks moarfish,

I managed to patch the stock IONetworkingFamily.kext and placed it in E/E.

It works fine for me. I noticed an issue with placing VoodooHDA in E/E so I've placed it in S/L/E as well.

Rebuilding the /System/Library/Extensions kext caches

When placing kext's in that location I've been doing the following :

boot with option -x32 -s on the snow leopard partition

then entered the following :

/sbin/fsck -fy

/sbin/mnt -uw /

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/

Let me know if there's an easier way that doesn't require a reboot.

I managed to fix the annoying CMOS error permanently. YAY!!! I just used made the change I documented earlier in this thread. i.e. changing a 4 to a 2. THen recompiled with iasl -ta dsdt.dsl

I'll post it shortly.

Revision of my board is v3.3 I too would be interested in having a boot-132 iso. I'm currently at 10.5.6 and everything is working fine (reboot, shutdown, sleep, audio, network).

I tried the example disc OSXLOADER.iso but it didn't first find my dvd drive. After writing in the specified -rd(x,y)/mach_kernel -v -rd=diskXsY where x is disk and y partition it still didn't work. It started to load something. Only thing I saw was some kexts but quickly after that it rebooted. After building my own disc with same kexts as in the OSXLOADER.iso it didn't work.

We can work together, I have also rev3.3

[DSDT Updated]

This DSDT has been compiled for a GA-965P-S3 Motherboard Revision 1.0 BIOS ver. F13.

Features :

-Patched CMOS fix

-Patched Audio

I've patched my DSDT with ALC883 audio. There's a matching HDA.kext you need to place in your /Extra/Extensions folder on your Snow Leopard drive. Please note there are still sound assertions.

I'm not sure of how easy this is but I'll try the following :

TODO :

-Patch in Video

-Patch in LAN

-Fix Sound Assertions

Screenshot2009-09-01at70047PM.png

HDA.kext.zip

dsdt.aml.zip

Thank you very much Slither

I've made a dsdt for rev 3.3 F13. I don't know if there is any difference with the rev 1.0 dsdt but it is a good resource for those who use rev 3.3 board as well.

I just applied the CMOS reset fix only as I am satisfied with the current VoodooHDA and IONetworkingFamily solution.

I've tried to use the LegacyHDA kexts with dsdt HDA patch but it seems not working, so I switch back to Voodoo.

dsdt.aml.zip

Thank you very much Slither

I've made a dsdt for rev 3.3 F13. I don't know if there is any difference with the rev 1.0 dsdt but it is a good resource for those who use rev 3.3 board as well. The sound line-out works fine, as that's all I've tested so far, but it's odd with the popping sound issue happening before.

I just applied the CMOS reset fix only as I am satisfied with the current VoodooHDA and IONetworkingFamily solution.

I've tried to use the LegacyHDA kexts with dsdt HDA patch but it seems not working, so I switch back to Voodoo.

That's no probs.

I'll continue to try and find out more info on the audio.

I've noticed that using the DSDT patch and the LegacyHDA makes a popping noise when audio initiates...almost as if it's loading and unloading each time audio is required.

I'm just playing around with the SleepEnabler.kext. I thought I had it installed and the computer never engaged sleep but was unusable...no screen. I rebooted and got kp straight away, couldn't boot into safemode either. Had to boot into Leopard and then back into Snow.

Kext Pack

Here's what I'm rolling with guys. Please note that I included a hex EFI string for an 8800GT in the com.apple.boot.list Use EFI Studio and replace with your own for now.

Features :

- Video

- Sleep (Wake from BT works great, I use a Belkin Mini Dongle)

- Audio (Works but I'm still refactoring so feel free to use VoodooHDA)

- LAN

I haven't experienced any random kernel panics so far.

I'll try and do up a comprehensive Snow Leopard guide soon.

GA_965P_S3_Kext_Pack.zip

Cool, for rev 3.3 almost everything works with your supplied kexts outta box (the bugger is audio right now). I still need to figure out how to get access to my efi partition to get the dsdt.aml applied.

Edit:

I used moarfish's dsdt and voodoohda kext, repaired permissions and removed hda which was supplied with the 1.0 pack and I got everything working nicely. Only thing is that sometimes harddrive activity is very high when opening new pages in safari, solution for that, buddies? Quitting safari usually removes activity from harddrive.

Edit 2:

I will start building disc and writing instructions how I used to install mine

Cool, for rev 3.3 almost everything works with your supplied kexts outta box (the bugger is audio right now). I still need to figure out how to get access to my efi partition to get the dsdt.aml applied.

Edit:

I used moarfish's dsdt and voodoohda kext, repaired permissions and removed hda which was supplied with the 1.0 pack and I got everything working nicely. Only thing is that sometimes harddrive activity is very high when opening new pages in safari, solution for that, buddies? Quitting safari usually removes activity from harddrive.

Edit 2:

I will start building disc and writing instructions how I used to install mine

That's great work!

I have noticed extra hdd activity myself. Not sure what the solution is though. I look forward to your instructions.

I'm thinking of trying out this fix for "Device removal" messages when putting the computer to sleep/wake.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...82507&st=0#

Regards,

Slither2008.

If you guys manage to make a dvd install for this board it would rock. Would I would like to see in these install discs is a list of motherboards. You select the board and it installs the correct kext for that particular board (sound, lan, usb etc).

Progress Update

Things are looking good. While I'm learning lots from the vets, MadTux, Master Chief & KingPin I'm getting much closer to sorting out the ALC883 soundchip for the GA-965P-S3 Rev1.0.

I've gone through the laborious task of creating a list of ALL the verbs, DSDT, ConfigData, plus much much more....took me several hours last night...but the end result will be worth it.

The DSDT is patched with these PinConfigurations I just need to get my head around Pathmaps and Layouts.

I've got 5.1 surroung working in plain leopard using a patched AppleHDA so I'm trying to refer to that but it's different to the one info.plist LegacyHDA.

NON-GA-965P-S3 Rev 1.0 Readers

Regarding users that don't have a GA-965P-S3 Rev1.0 board. Becuase of how long it takes to get all the verb data you need I'd recommend you create your own list of info on your card by following this tutorial from start to finish : http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...=149128&hl=

I requried an install disc of Ubuntu only to use it as a LiveCD to get the dump. I also had an external usb drive connected so I had somewhere to save the alc883 dump. If you follow the tutorial you'll be required again to use codegraph and graphivz.

For those up to this part you have to generate your svg using codegraph and graphiz. I did this by booting using my Ubuntu Install disc and then connected to the net and downloaded codegraph. I then used the terminal and did a sudo apt-get install graphviz. I then ran the command advised in the tutorial ./codecgraph alc883_codec_dump.txt

This produced a svg which is basically a detailed scalable diagram of my sound card. It's not a necessity to create this svg file but it graphically draws up all your mixers, sources and pin complexes which is sooooo much easier to understand what is going on with all the crazy hex flying around...lol.

I strongly recommend making the svg file.

I found another great continuation of this guide which will hopefully cover Pathmaps and Layouts in more detail. I hope to have something going later tonight. (current time here 200909031000AEST)