PC in a Power Mac G5?

korki696

14 posts in this topic

hey i really want to put regular PC components in a mac case but i was wondering what the easiest parts are. mainly the mobo whats the best mobo with the least amount of modding on the case. i currently have the Intel D945PVS. and what about power supply. Is there one that will fit in very easily or does that not exist??? the main reason im asking is because i havent actually looked at a mac case. and one more question is the new intel based Power Mac case different from the old non intel based ones???

thanks in advance

-Korki-

one more question is the new intel based Power Mac case different from the old non intel based ones???

thanks in advance

Nobody knows yet, but I am expecting some big changes.

It is possible the PowerMac line will be split, such that there is some kind of mini tower for a Conroe-based machine and also a more expandable super tower for Woodcrest-based workstations.

oo sry my bad i never looked at the power mac that closley and i thought since imac intel power mac intel. oops. well anyways does anyone know of a case that looks like the G5 but works with regular pc components???

thanks

-Korki-

as far as I'm concerned, it can be done fairly easily, if you're an experienced modder... If you are confident you won't break your mac then you can fit the motherboard in, then cut a rectangualr hole at the back so you can use a regular rear port plate thingy.

Also, the powermac G5 power supply can be used on most PC motherboards.

Have a look around and you will find answers. The apple developer intel mac was a computer availible to apple developers to start making intel mac apps. It was just a pc in a G5 case with os x installed. see if you can find info on this to see if it's any different to the normal g5 case.

Also, the powermac G5 power supply can be used on most PC motherboards.

I was wondering about that.

The apple developer intel mac was a computer availible to apple developers to start making intel mac apps. It was just a pc in a G5 case with os x installed. see if you can find info on this to see if it's any different to the normal g5 case.

But the Developer Transition Kit (DTK) used a custom motherboard designed to fit into the G5 case.

• 9 months later...
these case are so damn expansive!

eh?

I paid $150 shipped for my G5 case used about the same I have paid for any high quality PC case. The G5 PowerMac case is a very nice solid built case IMO. Of course how much I have spent modding it is best left unknown :whistle: