Snow Leopard - DVD Player does not work

dparada78

45 posts in this topic

I do have a Disabler.kext in my extensions folder. Should I remove this to see if it causing the issue?

No don't delete it, it might be there for a reason...though you shouldn't need it if you're really using the vanilla kernel.

You need to find out what it disables first before thinking about deleting it. Open it (right click, show contents) and open the info.plist inside. Tell me which kernel extensions it disables (you'll see what I mean once you take a look at the plist).

No don't delete it, it might be there for a reason...though you shouldn't need it if you're really using the vanilla kernel.

You need to find out what it disables first before thinking about deleting it. Open it (right click, show contents) and open the info.plist inside. Tell me which kernel extensions it disables (you'll see what I mean once you take a look at the plist).

Here is what the plist looks like

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">

<plist version="1.0">

<dict>

<key>CFBundleDevelopmentRegion</key>

<string>English</string>

<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>

<string>Disabler</string>

<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>

<string>Kernel Extension Disabler 1.0.1, Copyright © 2008 by Kabyl</string>

<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>

<string>net.osrom.kext.Disabler</string>

<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>

<string>6.0</string>

<key>CFBundleName</key>

<string>Kernel Extension Disabler</string>

<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>

<string>KEXT</string>

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>

<string>1.0.1</string>

<key>IOKitPersonalities</key>

<dict>

<key>AppleUpstreamUserClientDisabler</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<key>IOMatchCategory</key>

<string>AppleUpstreamUserClientDriver</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>1000</integer>

<key>IOProviderClass</key>

<string>IOFramebuffer</string>

<key>IOResourceMatch</key>

<string>IOKit</string>

</dict>

<key>EFINVRAMDisabler</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleEFINVRAM</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>1000</integer>

<string>AppleEFIRuntime</string>

<string>efi-runtime</string>

</dict>

<key>EFIRuntimeDisabler</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>1000</integer>

<string>AppleACPIPlatformExpert</string>

<string>ACPI</string>

</dict>

<key>IntelCPUPMDisabler</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>1000</integer>

<string>IOResources</string>

<string>IOKit</string>

</dict>

<key>SMCPlatformPluginDisabler</key>

<dict>

<key>IOClass</key>

<string>ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin</string>

<key>IOProbeScore</key>

<integer>2000</integer>

<string>AppleACPICPU</string>

<string>ACPI</string>

</dict>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleLibraries</key>

<dict>

<key>com.apple.kernel.iokit</key>

<string>1.1</string>

</dict>

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Root</string>

</dict>

</plist>

Ding ding, looks like we have a winner.

As you can see, these are the kernel extensions that get disabled:

<string>AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement</string>

<string>ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin</string>

The first one is very likely the reason why you can't use DVD player.

I don't know the technical details but there is DRM (digital rights management) involved. This kernel extension is in your disabler because on some systems (with Nvidia video cards? I don't remember) having it loaded makes the mouse "stutter" at fixed intervals when iTunes is running. I don't have this issue anymore, but I remember having it some time around 10.5.6. You probably don't need this kext disabled and I'm pretty sure not having it disabled will allow you to use DVD player again.

I never investigated why the two EFI kexts need disabling, I don't know what they're for. But they don't need disabling on a vanilla capable system.

Your hardware is vanilla capable and that includes vanilla CPU speed stepping and C-state switching. But you can never have native speed stepping with this disabler installed because, along with AppleLPC.kext, the last two extensions in the list need to be loaded for this to work.

But if you delete your disabler you will have to deal with a bunch of new issues, like getting the P- and C-states working by patching your DSDT, possibly you will need to fix device ID of your LPC device and patch your HPET device in DSDT as well.

You should delete any CPU power management kexts you might be using first, such as VoodooPower.kext.

This legendary thread contains everything you need to know about it and then some: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181631

Another, safer way would be to simply delete the entries in your Disabler.kext that disable the AppleUpstreamblablabla (and the EFI* kexts). Then you can tackle the rest when you feel like it, it's going to be a bit of a mouthful if you haven't done any DSDT editing before.

No, you have to delete the whole entry for each kext you want to remove from the disabler, not just that line.

Get rid of the EFI* kext disablers too:

<key>AppleUpstreamUserClientDisabler</key>
	<dict>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<key>IOProbeScore</key>
		<integer>1000</integer>
		<string>IOFramebuffer</string>
		<string>IOKit</string>
	</dict>
	<key>EFINVRAMDisabler</key>
	<dict>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<key>IOProbeScore</key>
		<integer>1000</integer>
		<string>efi-runtime</string>
	</dict>
	<key>EFIRuntimeDisabler</key>
	<dict>
		<key>IOClass</key>
		<key>IOProbeScore</key>
		<integer>1000</integer>
		<string>AppleACPIPlatformExpert</string>
		<string>ACPI</string>
	</dict>

No? Damn..

Oh well...anyway, deleting Disabler.kext was a big step in the right direction. Unless you put it back again, you are now 85% more vanilla.

Do you get any new and exciting error messages during boot up? "C-State Evaluation failed"?

Do you have AppleLPC.kext loaded now? Check under Software/Extensions in System Profiler.

If you don't care about the vanilla-ness of your hackintosh you can just leave it in.

If you delete it your hackintosh should keep working as it was even with those error messages, but it's something that can be fixed.

It will take some work on your part if you want to go ahead with this. You should read (study is more like it) this first and see if that's something you want to spend time on:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181631

I'm out of ideas on how to get DVD player working. Maybe it's a video probem after all.

I recommend getting as close to vanilla as possible, it's good for compatibility. And working CPU state switching is good for your CPU.

Hey, try to patch your dvd drive back to non-RPC1, then see if you can run DVD player or not.

For me, before I patched my dvd drive to RPC1, I can run DVD player totally fine.

After I patched it, I can't run DVD player anymore.

I believe Mac OSX check whether dvd drive with region code, if it's RPC1 (region free), then DVD player won't start.

"Region X" can trick Mac OSX to think RPC1 dvd drive with a fake region code, but "Region X" only supports Apple dvd drive and it doesn't take effects on non-Apple dvd drive because the author never thought there would be users to have non-Apple dvd drive running on Mac OSX like us. :)

Let me know your results, because I'm also trying to find a way to run DVD player on RPC1 dvd drive.

Already suggested this in post #24

And I can confirm this - Neither DVD Player or Windows Media Player will play DVDs if the drive is set to region free.

Windows Media Player even can't play DVDs without DVD region killer or similar on RPC1 dvd drive.

A RPC1 dvd drive must use some kind of software (ex: DVD region killer) to trick OS believe the dvd drive has region code, otherwise DVD player won't load DVDs.

The reason why VLC works for him is because VLC doesn't implement region code check mechanism.

If he already uses DVD region killer or similar on Windows and it still can't play DVDs on his RPC1 dvd drive, then it must be other issue.

Windows Media Player works fine and the Mac DVD player used to work back in the 10.4 and early 10.5 days. Did something change with Snow Leopard?

Hey, try to patch your dvd drive back to non-RPC1, then see if you can run DVD player or not.

For me, before I patched my dvd drive to RPC1, I can run DVD player totally fine.

After I patched it, I can't run DVD player anymore.

I believe Mac OSX check whether dvd drive with region code, if it's RPC1 (region free), then DVD player won't start.

"Region X" can trick Mac OSX to think RPC1 dvd drive with a fake region code, but "Region X" only supports Apple dvd drive and it doesn't take effects on non-Apple dvd drive because the author never thought there would be users to have non-Apple dvd drive running on Mac OSX like us. ;)

Let me know your results, because I'm also trying to find a way to run DVD player on RPC1 dvd drive.

Windows Media Player works fine and the Mac DVD player used to work back in the 10.4 and early 10.5 days. Did something change with Snow Leopard?

Are you using Region X.......?

I gave Region X a try.It didn't seem to make a difference.

Region X doesn't support non-Apple dvd drive. I already confirmed it. It only works for my dvd drive inside Macbook, but not for the dvd drive inside my Vaio notebook.