Snow Leopard - DVD Player does not work

dparada78

45 posts in this topic

So i got snow booted with -v -x32 flags and using a evga 8800gts g92 at 1680x1050 with netkas aty_init.kext....but when i try to run the DVD Player app i get:

there was an initialization error, a valid video device could not be found for playback (-70017)

Anyone else seen this?

Is that really all it is? No i don't have QE/CI...I am using aty_init.kext at 1680x1050 at the moment. i have qe/ci in 10.5.8 with nvdarwin...i just haven't got around to trying nvdarwin in snow...still it would surprise me to know that dvd player won't run without qe/ci...

Edit: Guess you were right! I got nvdarwin working with my 8800gts g92...qe/ci now and dvd player app works...just had to add device id to geforce.kext, nvdaresman.kext and nvdanv50hal.kext....

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having issues with Snow Leopard DVDPlayer too. It plays DVD's fine, but when I try to load a VIDEO_TS folder, it crashes without any message. Only this is showed under Console.

[0x0-0x1c01c].com.apple.DVDPlayer[180]: error: Error getting a reference to /options.

com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[73] ([0x0-0x1c01c].com.apple.DVDPlayer[180]): Exited with exit code: 1

Any ideas?¿

I'm having issues with Snow Leopard DVDPlayer too. It plays DVD's fine, but when I try to load a VIDEO_TS folder, it crashes without any message. Only this is showed under Console.

[0x0-0x1c01c].com.apple.DVDPlayer[180]: error: Error getting a reference to /options.

com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[73] ([0x0-0x1c01c].com.apple.DVDPlayer[180]): Exited with exit code: 1

Any ideas?¿

Don't know the exact fix, but if you look at the release notes on 10.6.1, there's some fix about DVD player app.

Maybe you should have a look.

Already upgraded to .6.1. No luck..

P.S: Could it be because my 7600GT is not OpenCL capable?

P.S.S: OK! Just solved! I was using chameleon v3, so I installed v1 + pc efi 10 and worked.

My mobo has 945 chipset and pc_efi has always worked better.

Thank you!

Already upgraded to .6.1. No luck..

P.S: Could it be because my 7600GT is not OpenCL capable?

P.S.S: OK! Just solved! I was using chameleon v3, so I installed v1 + pc efi 10 and worked.

My mobo has 945 chipset and pc_efi has always worked better.

Thank you!

I also used Chameleon v3 and had the same problem. pc efi 10.1 from netkas did it for me.

• 6 months later...
Is this on the PC in your signature? Why are you using a laptop model identifier on a desktop PC?

Have you seen this topic?

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=184224

Oh {censored}...woops...sorry I forgot about that. It's for a laptop I'm installing it on. Here is a link to the specs.

http://www.uniwill.com/products/performanc...hp?HL=2&P=3

The macbookpro4,1 is "Santa Rosa" but your laptop is somewhere in between the "Napa" and "Santa Rosa" platforms ( it has ICH7M+945GM)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrino#Napa...form_.282006.29

I don't know how much that matters, if at all. But sometimes changing model identifiers can have an effect on compatibility. I don't have any experience with laptops though.

Do you have full hardware acceleration on the Geforce Go 7600?

The macbookpro4,1 is "Santa Rosa" but your laptop is somewhere in between the "Napa" and "Santa Rosa" platforms ( it has ICH7M+945GM)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrino#Napa...form_.282006.29

I don't know how much that matters, if at all. But sometimes changing model identifiers can have an effect on compatibility. I don't have any experience with laptops though.

Do you have full hardware acceleration on the Geforce Go 7600?

If by hardware acceleration you mean Quartz Extreme then yes. I run Final Cut on it with no problems.

duh, I keep forgetting we're not talking about the PC in your sig...oh you changed your sig now, I didn't notice.

You should use nforceATA on your desktop PC, and on the laptop you should use whatever kext that gets you proper P-ATA support on ICH7M.

The official Chameleon 2.0 binary package comes with some useful ATA injectors that are pre-configured for various ICHx controllers. Or try to find a suitable AppleIntelPIIATA.kext for Snow, if one exists.

I'm not convinced that the problem is with your P-ATA drivers though. Especially if you can play DVDs just fine in VLC (you didn't say).

duh, I keep forgetting we're not talking about the PC in your sig...oh you changed your sig now, I didn't notice.

You should use nforceATA on your desktop PC, and on the laptop you should use whatever kext that gets you proper P-ATA support on ICH7M.

The official Chameleon 2.0 binary package comes with some useful ATA injectors that are pre-configured for various ICHx controllers. Or try to find a suitable AppleIntelPIIATA.kext for Snow, if one exists.

I'm not convinced that the problem is with your P-ATA drivers though. Especially if you can play DVDs just fine in VLC (you didn't say).

VLC works. I'm currently using RC5pre8. How can i set up the ATA injectors in it?

I don't think you need to do anything to your P-ATA drivers, if VLC is working then it must be something else. Probably has to do with your video card, something is missing in the injection method you're using that DVD Player needs in order to work.

But there are still a few things left to investigate before passing the blame to the video card.

Do you use a Disabler.kext? If yes, which kexts does it disable? (open it and check the info.plist) I'm asking because IIRC there's a disabler that disables some DRM kernel extension that causes iTunes to stutter. Maybe having this kext disabled prevents DVD player from working correctly when playing back DRM protected/encrypted media.

Something else; can you play a DVD from a folder using DVD player?

I don't know much about this but I guess you would need to find a non-encrypted DVD (or use some sort of decryption tool), then copy the contents to a folder on your HDD. If you still get the same error, you can completely rule out your P-ATA DVD drive (and the driver you use for it) as the culprit. It's an important troubleshooting step.

Something else I just thought about - there's a utility for my Lite On DVD drive that runs under Windows that lets me set the region for the drive. If the drive is set to "region free" I can't play any DVDs in Windows Media Player. Check that your drive is set to the same region as the DVD you're trying to play.

I cannot even open the DVD player. I get the error as soon as I click on the icon to run it. I did patch my DVD-drive in windows to be RPC1 and to set the booktype for DVD+R discs to ROM. I do have a Disabler.kext in my extensions folder. Should I remove this to see if it causing the issue?

I don't think you need to do anything to your P-ATA drivers, if VLC is working then it must be something else. Probably has to do with your video card, something is missing in the injection method you're using that DVD Player needs in order to work.

But there are still a few things left to investigate before passing the blame to the video card.

Do you use a Disabler.kext? If yes, which kexts does it disable? (open it and check the info.plist) I'm asking because IIRC there's a disabler that disables some DRM kernel extension that causes iTunes to stutter. Maybe having this kext disabled prevents DVD player from working correctly when playing back DRM protected/encrypted media.

Something else; can you play a DVD from a folder using DVD player?

I don't know much about this but I guess you would need to find a non-encrypted DVD (or use some sort of decryption tool), then copy the contents to a folder on your HDD. If you still get the same error, you can completely rule out your P-ATA DVD drive (and the driver you use for it) as the culprit. It's an important troubleshooting step.

Something else I just thought about - there's a utility for my Lite On DVD drive that runs under Windows that lets me set the region for the drive. If the drive is set to "region free" I can't play any DVDs in Windows Media Player. Check that your drive is set to the same region as the DVD you're trying to play.