GigaByte GA-G31M-ES2L (assuming revision 2) $53

Intel E5300 $70

EVGA 9600GT OC (system pull)

Patriot DDR2 800 2GB (system pull)

HEC MicroATX case with 585W PS $67

Hitachi 0A38016 1TB SATA $75

Sony DVD/RW AD-7240S-0B $30

Total $295 (shipped)

I am now aware that the LAN chipset for Revision 2 is the AR8131, with no drivers available. Can anyone suggest an alternative to this board? My wife is not pleased about ANOTHER computer in the house. So, I'm really trying to find low price and compatibility.

The primary purpose for this build is to start iPhone development. Any other thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!

- PigBoT

Ok. Well, I think I answered my main question and will probably go this route, GA-G41M-ES2L. I'm semi-noob to mac and obviously very noob to hackintosh, so any words of warning or advice are appreciated.

I ordered my GigaByte GA-G31M-ES2L about a month ago (7/22) from Amazon and I received the rev 1. At first I was disappointed, but OS X worked great and everything works (barring the Intel graphics device; knew about that)... anyway, I don't know if they'll send you the rev 1, but I got lucked out so you might too??

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HH0AU...x_ya_oh_product

Good luck!

:unsure:

Thanks Quad. My only concern is if it isn't a 1.x and it requires another add-on card purchase for LAN, it will take more time and I'll further agitate the wifee....

I just barely got all of my miscellaneous computer hardware cleaned up from the basement... but at least we can play pool again. LOL

Cool.. I've heard good things about the GA-G41M-ES2L and OS X compatibility, but I haven't tried it myself. The only reason why I ordered from Amazon in the first place is because of a gift card... I think the G41M board is better then the G31, so if I had the choice, I would've went with it instead... sadly, Amazon is no Newegg!... :thumbsup_anim:

You can get the rev. 1.1 from NewEgg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...pk=GA-G31M-ES2L

but be aware that it does not have any Firewire either .. for FW solutions look here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=173016

Stability and compatibility wise there isn't any alternative in this price range from what I know. However my research on this is a couple of months old.

naturally the GA-G31M-ES2C is not 100% identical with its sibling, otherwise there would be no need for a different model number .. :whistle: - one difference I could spot right away is that for LAN it is equipped with the RTL 8102E chip (10/100 Mbit). You have that one running?

Also, the GA-G31M-ES2C only seems to be sold in (eastern?) Europe. Where did you get it?

One of the recent newegg reviews said they received rev 2. Is there something else I don't know?

My home network is 1000 Mbit, so I'd like to keep it at the same bandwidth.

What are your thoughts on the G41 version of this board?

There is also the Asus P5GC-MX 1333 which is still being sold some places (at least where I live). From what I've read basically everything seems to be working including graphics which I guess doesn't really matter to you becuase you already have a graphics card that your using. The only downside I see is that it uses the old 945gc chipset.

I got a G31M-ES2L from newegg (ordered 8-20-09) that was rev. 2 with the new (as yet un-hackable) onboard Ethernet.

Keep in mind, even though it wastes a PCI slot, you can easily remedy this with a third party OSX-compatible gigabit card. For example, I have this one, works great OOB even though it doesn't specifically mention OSX support. It's $12, but consider that alternative motherboards cost just as much, or often more.

I also have a G41M-ES2L based Hackintosh. It installs easily with the same setup guide as the G31- but requires different hacks for the Ethernet and audio. Right off the bat it costs about as much more than the G31 board as an ethernet card, so there's not much to be gained there.

Either way, it's not a huge problem.

Thanks for the feedback. This is the configuration I ordered today.

GigaByte GA-G41M-ES2L, $62 (shipped - zipzoomfly)

Intel E5300 $70 (shipped - newegg)

Hitachi 1TB $75 - $10 MIR, $65 (shipped - newegg)

Sony DVD RW $30 (shipped - newegg)

HEC MiniTower with 585W P/S $67 (shipped - newegg)

Total: $294

Again, I'm pulling memory from another system DDR2 800 2GB (2x 1GB) as well as a video card eVGA 9600GT OC.

Will I be able to use a PS/2 port for they keyboard?

I am really excited (so is my wife!....hahahahhaha--not). Also ordered a new book for iPhone dev.

Any other pointers or advice on the tutorials from here?

* The Weaksause12's links seem be broken or down. Anyone know of a mirror for this guide?

Again, I pulling memory from another system DDR2 800 2GB (2x 1GB) as well as a video card eVGA 9600GT OC.

I am really excited (so is my wife!....hahahahhaha--not). Also ordered a new book for iPhone dev.

* The Weaksause12's links seem be broken or down. Anyone know of a mirror for this guide?

I just got a similar system running 10.5.7.

I found these two guides very helpful:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=161303

and,

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=177497

h50

Again, I pulling memory from another system DDR2 800 2GB (2x 1GB) as well as a video card eVGA 9600GT OC.

I just got done doing a build with the G31M-ES2L MB. I can confirm that the onboard ethernet has issues. (You can get to the internet with it but I couldn't get Time Machine to work.) I temporarily solved the issue by throwing an old 10/100 card in. I plan on ordering one of the cheap compatible gigabit cards.

Regarding a PS/2 keyboard, I was not able to get it to work. My new logitech diVovo seems to be working.

Yes, the weaksauce links are down, which was unfortunate as I was using it as a guide. Fortunately, I had already downloaded the package previously and had enough written (on that old fashioned stuff called paper) to hack my way through it.

My latest issue (after solving Netflix not working, Time Machine, etc.) is that I can't get plex to work. The combination of this being my first hw build in many, many years plus never having used OS X before and never even having heard of things like "plex" two weeks ago is making this a "fun" icon5.gifproject. Pointers are appreciated.

I have not built it yet. The components ordered from NewEgg are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow (a few dollars more and I could have made the whole order from NewEgg -- I swear, I'll never learn. :D )

The only other component is the motherboard and it's status is shown as "packaged" not shipped. It's looking like it might be the bottleneck.

I will be sure to document the build and software installation.

The answer to the quad-core question for me is no. I may or may not regret this decision. The primary purpose of this machine is for iPhone/Mac application development. Although video and image editing may be a function early on, I cannot see it being a large enough function in the near future to justify. (I don't know if games are truly utilizing 4 cores, but I have a dedicated PC for gaming :) ) The dual core Pentium processors are quite robust already. Should I change my mind in the future, this build will turn into a media pc or my little girl's Mac/PC for her playroom. =)

What's your motivation for your build?

I have not built it yet. The components ordered from NewEgg are scheduled to be delivered tomorrow (a few dollars more and I could have made the whole order from NewEgg -- I swear, I'll never learn. :D )

The only other component is the motherboard and it's status is shown as "packaged" not shipped. It's looking like it might be the bottleneck.

I will be sure to document the build and software installation.

The answer to the quad-core question for me is no. I may or may not regret this decision. The primary purpose of this machine is for iPhone/Mac application development. Although video and image editing may be a function early on, I cannot see it being a large enough function in the near future to justify. (I don't know if games are truly utilizing 4 cores, but I have a dedicated PC for gaming :) ) The dual core Pentium processors are quite robust already. Should I change my mind in the future, this build will turn into a media pc or my little girl's Mac/PC for her playroom. =)

What's your motivation for your build?

To have a great running mac at home for the wife while she's in school and to do video editing projects on the side with because it's my career using FCP. But my Macbook Pro just isn't cutting it with a tiny 15" screen when I work on dual widescreens all day I want something more practical for at home use.

I have an NZXT Rogue case that I haven't used yet and was debating if I should just trash it and go with either a better case or a mid tower standard atx instead. not sure yet.....what are you using?

I just got done doing a build with the G31M-ES2L MB. I can confirm that the onboard ethernet has issues. (You can get to the internet with it but I couldn't get Time Machine to work.)

This is an old, known-issue not related to the rev 2 board. There's a 'Time Machine Fix' patch that must be applied to the onboard Ethernet. If you have the weaksauce files, then use UInstaller to apply the patch. (Not sure why his page is down, or password-only at the moment.)

Regarding a PS/2 keyboard, I was not able to get it to work. My new logitech diVovo seems to be working.

PS/2 and most legacy hardware is a no-go for Hackintosh. Avoid all of it.

My latest issue (after solving Netflix not working, Time Machine, etc.) is that I can't get plex to work.

Hmm.. this I'm not sure about, never had a problem with Plex. What specifically is happening when you try and run it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811121004

That is the case. It went down another $5. :(

This is definitely a budget build. I'll try to post some pics of the case when it arrives. If you're looking for a quality case for not too much money, I have recently built a quiet PC with a white antec case (might look good with the Apple Branding Stickers... :P ). It was $80 shipped from fry's, normally about $160. I saw the case on slickdeals dot net. I wish I had bought more, it included a quiet 550W P/S and noise dampening panels. I have noticed some other Antec cases go on sale here and there.

--I just looked up the Rogue case. I would try to make it work with that. It looks like a nice case, quality construction. Are you looking for dual monitors or just a large widescreen monitor? I may eventually buy a new case and monitor for cosmetics and place the machine for friends and family to browse in a front room too, or just build an all new machine... lol. I'm obsessed I know, but so is anyone else who's reading this!

If you're not in a big rush, keep your eyes on the slickdeals dot net website... I've picked up some really good stuff there. Including two 9600GT OC's for less than $30 each and a nice looking Samsung LCD 23" 1080P monitor 2333SW, $162.

One more thing. Go to bing dot com and search for NewEgg before making your purchases... They were giving 10% cash back yesterday! (I missed it of course... story of my life... ha ha ha )

This is an old, known-issue not related to the rev 2 board. There's a 'Time Machine Fix' patch that must be applied to the onboard Ethernet. If you have the weaksauce files, then use UInstaller to apply the patch.

Hmm.. this I'm not sure about, never had a problem with Plex. What specifically is happening when you try and run it?

Thanks, I will look for it (Time Machine Fix). I *thought* the issue was due to the on-board gigabit ethernet in that:

a) when I did the initial install (with the onboard ethernet), I couldn't get Time Machine or Netflix streamer to work.

;) I then disabled (in bios) the onboard etherenet, did a new install and got all to work.

c) I then re-enabled (in bios) the onboard ethernet as I wanted to use it on the Windows 7 side. After doing this, Time Machine stopped working as did Netflix streaming.

d) I then disabled (in bios), but the os x partition still was unable to do Time Machine or Netflix, even though I verified (well, as far as I could tell) that only the add in NIC was defined.

e) I gave up, reinstalled os x w/the onboard ethernet disabled, and all is well.

Since I don't like mysteries, I will try to investigate this further and do some more study...right now my knowledge level is at the beginnger level where I am following scripts with out understanding the why's. After many years as a systems sw developer, I want to understand the whys.

Regarding plex, I down load the disk image, install it, and try to start it. I think it then is program checking/trapping/abending as os x then pops up a window asking if I want to install crash reporter. I decline, and then the plex border window comes up (e.g. I can do an about plex), but nothing else.

All the hardware should be here tomorrow... Just realized I need to go buy software. If I want 10.6, should I buy retail copy of this or should buy 10.5 with a .6 upgrade?

Also, I need to get at least a USB keyboard, as all of my others are PS/2. Any suggestions? Should I do a bluetooth or wireless or just go cheap? Should I look for a used mac keyboard?

Thanks.

Thanks, I will look for it (Time Machine Fix). I *thought* the issue was due to the on-board gigabit ethernet in that:

a) when I did the initial install (with the onboard ethernet), I couldn't get Time Machine or Netflix streamer to work.

:unsure: I then disabled (in bios) the onboard etherenet, did a new install and got all to work.

c) I then re-enabled (in bios) the onboard ethernet as I wanted to use it on the Windows 7 side. After doing this, Time Machine stopped working as did Netflix streaming.

d) I then disabled (in bios), but the os x partition still was unable to do Time Machine or Netflix, even though I verified (well, as far as I could tell) that only the add in NIC was defined.

e) I gave up, reinstalled os x w/the onboard ethernet disabled, and all is well.

Time Machine is flaky. Now that I recall, it's definitely tied to the onboard Ethernet (probably since that was the network interface available at install). I remember I had a similar issue when I installed a replacement ethernet card in a DS3L based board, and then disabled the onboard ethernet in the BIOS. TM stopped working immediately. When I reenabled the onboard, it worked. So even though I'm using the PCI ethernet and not the onboard, I leave the onboard enabled anyway and everything including TM works fine.

Ironically, I don't think people will have this problem with a revision 2 ES2L board, or a G41 based board, simply because the onboard ethernet DOESN'T work Out Of Box, so TM should never get bound to it at install in the first place.

As for Plex- hmm.. Strange.

I have to ask the obvious question- I'm sure you have, but it's the only thing I can think of: you have a supported graphic card, enabled with EFI strings, and QE/CI enabled and working, right? Lots of apps, but especially media related apps, bug out and act flaky when run without graphic hardware accelleration. I can see Plex just plain crapping out without both QE/CI which it must rely on heavily.

All the hardware should be here tomorrow... Just realized I need to go buy software. If I want 10.6, should I buy retail copy of this or should buy 10.5 with a .6 upgrade?

Also, I need to get at least a USB keyboard, as all of my others are PS/2. Any suggestions? Should I do a bluetooth or wireless or just go cheap? Should I look for a used mac keyboard?

Thanks.

You will need to check over the guides in the genius bar for installing 10.6. 10.6 can be installed from the $29 upgrade disk on a virgin hard drive as well as one that already contains 10.5. THe disk does not check for a previois install, and does not require any serial number or key code.

Apples $49 wired USB keyboards are very nice and available in both a short and long version for the same price. Apple mice however are complete {censored}.

I'm reading through the tutorials. Unfortunately there's not just one that matches what I'm trying to do. I do want to do a virgin install, single boot to SL only. I'm sure I'll figure it out. Any direction is also appreciated (including the direction that has already been provided). As I mentioned earlier, I'll do a good tutorial / documented setup and post a link later.

Thanks for the info on the keyboards... I can't say I'll spend $50 on keyboard though, just because you should be able to buy a really nice non-Mac USB keyboard for so much less. And don't they only make the Mac keyboard in white? I ask because all of my components will be black. HOWEVER, I might keep my eyes on flea bay or somewhere for a cheap used one. Thanks.

Well, I have SL installed and running. I have not been able to resolve the onboard audio. I know some people are just using a usb plugin, but I also believe others have the audio working with Kext. I need to learn more about editing Kexts. The onboard audio chip for this board is the ALC888B. If anyone has some info to share, please do. I'll be happy to share my complete install processes once I feel confident that I'm giving good information.

Pretty sweet so far.

Thanks.

I love macs but their keyboards are horrid. Why? The keys are so tiny (the white plastic squares) they break easily. I have a bluetooth mac keyboard, so I can't say much :) but...I don't like it/use it at all.

Logitech all the way. A black wired keyboard by them will last till you have grandkids.