[GUIDE] Retail Snow Leopard Install on Gigabyte G31M-ES2L -Rev 1.x

sk1nhead

1 post in this topic

im quoting this from Stella's Blog: " Friends don’t let friends install OS X via OSInstall.mpkg. This guarantees a buggy installation, bad system permissions and possible kernel panics. If you’re going to install your OS either use the retail DVD or restore it to a high capacity flash key (8GB minimum). " i would also add that using a flash drive or DVD will remove the "no installer package error" in Disk Utility. I suggest subscribing to his blog via RSS or bookmarking it since lots of good info updated constantly.

I also made a similar guide weeks back after the 10a432 release but Snow topic isn't allowed here that time so i posted them here, its still applicable if you only have one hard drive and wanna boot snow, leopard or multiple OS in different partition using one bootloader.

enough talk and let's begin, first download the attached file below and place it in your Desktop.

What's Needed:

G31M-ES2L Motherboard

Intel processor C2D, C2Q or maybe Xeon

8GB flash drive or USB External Drive

Sata Hard Drive in any capacity (for this guide we use a dedicated HD)

Retail DVD disc or Snow Leopard 10A432 DMG

a working Leopard partition 10.5.8 or lower

Let's Create a Snow USB installer:

- launch Disk Utility, choose 1 partition and erase USB flashdrive to GPT (Guid Partition Table)

- install chameleon RC1 choosing the flashdrive as the destination

- show all hidden files (use terminal or ShowAllFiles app)

- copy EFI 10.1 to root of your flashdrive deleting the old one

- back in Disk Utility, choose USB flashdrive click the restore Tab and selecting 10A432 or DVD as the image and USB flashdrive as the destination (DO NOT MOUNT THE DMG) also be sure 'Erase' Destination' is uncheck then click restore.

picture3rsa.png

when .dmg or DVD copying is done go to snow folder on your Desktop then copy the following to root of your flash drive

- dsdt.aml

- boot.plist - edit this to match your EFI Strings, timeout and Graphics mode

- Extensions[uSB] (rename it to Extensions)

- Themes

screenshot20090828at318.png

when done you can now turn off your machine.

Now to install Snow Leopard:

- Turn on your computer and press F12 Boot Menu then choose your USB flashdrive as the first boot

- enter " -v -x32 " on the Chameleon screen , it will bot in verbose mode and if all goes well you'll be greeted with snow leopard installer screen

- choose Disk Utility and choose the hard drive you will be installing snow into

- format it using GPT and Mac OS Extended (Journaled), when done quit Disk Utility then customize the install if you want too etc.. im sure you know what to do here so just proceed until done.

- after the installation just press restart and lets leave it for a while and boot Leopard again

Back to Leopard:

- go back to 'snow' folder on your Desktop

- install Chameleon RC1 on your never booted snow drive

- show all hidden files and copy PC_EFI to root and the following below to /Extra:

- DSDT.aml - cmos reset fix and hdef audio patch is here

- com.apple.Boot.plist - again edit this to match your EFI Strings, timeout and Graphics mode

- smbios.plist - edit this to match your hardware specification

- Extensions[OS] - rename it to Extensions

- Themes

inside Extensions[OS] folder are 64bit:

fakesmc

LegacyAppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver

LegacyHDAPlatformDriver

NullCPUPowerManagement

OpenHaltRestart

PlatformUUID - edit this to include your UUID

SleepEnabler

optional 32bit kext: you can add them if you need bonjour but this only works in 32bit

IONetworkingFamily

OpenHaltRestart

screenshot20090828at250.png

- when done and you are sure every info is correct you can now shut down your Leopard partition.

First Boot: (the exciting part) :D

- turn on your computer and go to Boot Menu (F12)

- choose your Snow Leopard partition as the first boot then press enter

- on the Chameleon menu enter " -v -x32 " (very important), it will boot in verbose mode displaying lots of text, if all goes well you will be greeted with Leopard intro video but no sound yet

- continue the process until you reach your desktop.

- for the sound to take effect, launch System Preference then go to Sound and choose Internal Speakers/Built-In Speaker for both Sound Effects and Output Tab, press F11 or F12 if you can hear a feedback

- Test Disk Utility by repairing disk permission if the " no package error " is not present.

- let spotlight finish indexing the drive, it will take a few minutes but you can test everything while waiting..

- when the above task are done and tested, you can now shutdown your machine and boot 64bit without the "-x32" flags.

Optional:

- You can also make an Extensions.mkext using Terminal, MKextool or Kext Utility if you wish.

- the kext above are all 64bit except for the RealtekR1000, but if you plan on booting in 32bit you can edit com.apple.Boot.plist and add " -x32 " after Kernel Flags or leave it be for 64bit.

screenshot20090828at238.png

- you can also take a look at Voyn1x Leopard guide if you wanna use a hidden EFI partition for snow which what im currently using now.

we are done :D

CREDITS:

Pista7 and cparm for the sleepenabler

Netkas for the fakesmc

coconup for the HDEF dsdt patch in here, im sure this can improve but for now all i need is a machine w/ sound.. if anyone has an improvement patch or kext please post them in here, im sure lots of us including me will benefit from it.

note: tested the guide and the old one i made above using this Machine, it gave me no problems in 32 or even 64bit so i hope this goes well on you.. will also update the pictures when i receive my Retail up to date DVD from Apple..