Slow Hard Drive Performance ICH10

195 posts in this topic

I am running Snow Leopard on my Rampage II Extreme which runs great.

My problem is when I try to access files on my other SATA drives.

It is very very slow.

Also, when I run XBench my disk scores are very slow.

Does anyone know what kext I should be running for this?

Thanks

JN

***UPDATED***

See page 6 of this thread for resolution.

The King was able to resolve this issue and has detailed instructions on a fix.

Thanks to everyone who helped especially to The King and CSharpMac

Jim

It is very very slow.

Thanks

JN

I have the same problem with my rampage 2 gene. Disabling the jmicron controller in bios helped some, but did not completely eliminate the spinning ball when accessing drives other than the boot drive. I am interested in an answer to this also.

hi...

Im using the same DSDT.aml as i did in Leopard. Worked, no problem with non system SATA drives.

When i try to read the content the SATA drive is "halted"

and if i start lets say Calender or iPhoto it does read the drive properly.

Solution????

hi...

Im using the same DSDT.aml as i did in Leopard. Worked, no problem with non system SATA drives.

When i try to read the content the SATA drive is "halted"

and if i start lets say Calender or iPhoto it does read the drive properly.

Solution????

I notice the exact same thing, I can just open a web page, or refresh one, and it immediately will read the drive. Its got to be something to do with cpu time, interupts,etc. And yes I did do a separate dsdt.aml compile for my snowleopard drive. And I also do not have the problem on my leo 10.5.8. install, updated via apple software update. I also tried turning off spotlight drive indexing, thinking this may have something to do with it, but I don't know if I actually got that accomplished.

I just installed Leopard 10.5.8 on a Rampage II Extreme system, and I'm seeing the same thing. So it's probably not limited to Snow Leopard.

If you want something that will really cook your noodle, run the XBench disk test on your primary drive while doing something to the secondary drive. The secondary drive will suddenly get much, much faster.

PS Out of curiosity, what audio drivers are you using for this board?

Edit: I'd love to hear how you got SL on that board, too, if you don't mind

So I think the only ones that have this problem are us with Asus boards and ICH10R. :(

Using VooddoHDA for now. Hopefully there is an update to the old method of AD2000b.HDA.FIX.kext, HDEFEnabler.kext & HDAEnabler.kext.

It is very very slow.

Thanks

JN

Hi,

I have a solution for you for your Snow Leopard on Rampage II Extreme.

I would need to have your dsdt.aml file and your /Extra directory.

csharp

having the same Problem on an ASUS p6T Deluxe v2.

@csharp: what does your solution look like? thx

EDIT: FYI, running the same two drives of mine from within Leopard works. From SL only the system drive works OK. The second drive is either not responding at all or just very slowly. Tried IDE in Bios which did not boot up at all, tried several ATA kexts, no success so far and it's the only thing keeping me from an otherwise fully working and stable SL install. :(

So I think the only ones that have this problem are us with Asus boards and ICH10R. :P

Unfortunately yes, so it seems. Meanwhile i'm going to put my secondary drive into a USB enclosure. Leaving me clueless . .

I will post my extensions and dsdt file in about an hour.

I am using the one created in leopard and works fine, do you think that is the problem with the non system drives?

I repaired the permissions with 'Disk Utility' and then used 'Kext utility v2.3.2' for rebuilding the extensions.mkext

Would like to see your dsdt.aml file and /Extra directory.

EDIT: Solved / Workaround by changing AHCI to IDE (compatible mode) in Bios. If anybody gets their hands on a true AHCI fix, please post here.
Humm, that's a bit of a lousy solution; my other OSs can't handle the switch so well. Hopefully someone figures out what's up with AHCI. In the mean time, thanks Brio.

Oh, and what kexts did you end up using to get IDE mode working?

Switched to IDE mode without prior kext checking, luckily it worked. Currently i have these kexts in my /E/E folder:

- AHCIPortInjector.kext

- AppleIntelPIIXATA.kext

- fakesmc.kext

- IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

- NullCPUPowerManagement.kext

- OpenHaltRestart.kext

- PlatformUUID.kext

- VoodooHDA.kext

Suppose i could as well leave the first two ones out, but got to get some work done first, might try later. Still hoping for a legitimate AHCI fix, though. *cross fingers*

As far as sound on snow leopard I am using 64bit voodoo hda kext, with hda enabler. But I was able to patch my dsdt.aml and not need the enabler. In leopard I used a hacked applehda.kext with enabler they both worked great. My 10.5.8. install is flawless no hanging hard drives at all. Even using the jmicro controller which I turned off in snowleopard, because I could not see my dvd drive with it enabled in bios.

My 10.5.8. install is flawless no hanging hard drives at all.

Thanks g4sho! Your board must be the Asus Rampage II GENE, which also uses the ICH10 chipset. hmm. Do you have your bios configured for AHCI mode?

EDIT: Ahh sorry, you're writing of your 10.5.8 system? The SATA issues occur to me in SL only.

I just installed Leopard 10.5.8 on a Rampage II Extreme system, and I'm seeing the same thing. So it's probably not limited to Snow Leopard.

If you want something that will really cook your noodle, run the XBench disk test on your primary drive while doing something to the secondary drive. The secondary drive will suddenly get much, much faster.

Edit: I'd love to hear how you got SL on that board, too, if you don't mind

With snow leopard I used the chameleon 1.0.12 snow alternative bundle for bootloader. Drive set to achi in bios. Patched dsdt.aml file with dsdt gui patcher 1.0. After patch you need to check the dsdt.dsl file that is located in the sessions directory to make sure it did not add cpu alias, if it did you have to edit them out. And repatch the dsdt.dsl file with dsdt patcher non gui. I am using snowleo 10a432. I installed from the image from within my working 10.5.8 install. Once installed, before rebooting add the necessary kexts,repair permissions, and install the bootloader. I almost forgot, the snow alternative boot loader has the bootloader installer and a seperate file called boot. After you install the bootloader it will place a file named boot in your snowleopard root directory, you will need to replace it with the file named boot that came in the bundle.You then must reboot, and go into your bios turn off hyperthreading, enable only one cpu, set bclk to 133 multiplier to 20(2.66ghz) basically set bios to default settings except for what I mentioned above. Reboot, and hit f8 to get to you disk bootmenu, choose the drive you installed snow on, hit enter. And hit f8 immediately so you can get to the darwin kernel prompt. Then type -v busratio=20 cpus=1, then enter. And if your lucky, you should see the opening leopard video,and then your desktop. This is when you need to do your dsdt patching, once your patch is sucessful, you can then go back into your bios, and set everything back to normal, and you should be able to boot without kernel panic.