[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

Well, everything works well (E6600 CPU, using your DSDT), except that I can't get my ATI 3850 recognized with the ATI drivers, and I'm getting a kernel panic from Spotlight (unless I disable it).

Not too bad for first day after release.. give it a week to shake out...

-Dan

0. BIOS Setup Mini Guide:

bios.jpg

Essentially, you're going to really need to focus on 3 sections in the EP45-UD3R (and similar) BIOSes. The 1st is optional (Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker or MIT) is only if you intend to overclock your computer at all. This requires a whole different set of knowledge and needs to be understood CAREFULLY before attempted as to not damage the components. If you aren't changing the clocks, then move on to the "Advanced BIOS Features" section. Here, you need to make sure simply that the following features are DISABLED:

-CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)

-C2/C2E State Support

-CPU EIST Function

-C4/C4E State Support

-Virtualization Technology

The rest of the settings in "Advanced BIOS Features" can just be left at stock settings. Next, go back to the main menu and go into the "Integrated Peripherals" menu. Here, all that's important is you make sure the following options are set to AHCI mode:

-SATA RAID/AHCI Mode

-Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode

And of course, make sure that "Onboard SATA/IDE Device" is "Enabled". You can change the boot order of the hard drives if you want SL to be the default drive, but that's not necessary as you can enable that later once everything is working. For now, just hit F12 (or whatever the key is for you) at the spash screen to open the device boot menu when you want to boot into SL.

Well, everything works well (E6600 CPU, using your DSDT), except that I can't get my ATI 3850 recognized with the ATI drivers, and I'm getting a kernel panic from Spotlight (unless I disable it).

Not too bad for first day after release.. give it a week to shake out...

-Dan

The Spotlight kernel panic is clearly explained at the bottom of the 1st post, I made the first wave of editing. As for the ATI card, you need to make sure you have the correct EFI string in your com.apple.Boot.plist. There are no drivers to muck around with, at least I don't THINK so. You will have to double check for an ATI card. I know Nvidia ones are set.

Well no luck here, I'm off to bed. I'll get at it again tomorrow.

Could you please post your BIOS settings tomorrow? I'm wondering if I have something set differently.

One odd thing I noticed when following the guide though (not BIOS related) is after installing SL to my second drive, when I start to edit a file, I can't save it. It says I don't have permissions. I have to change the folder to "Read & Write" through getinfo.

But no matter what I do, I get KP at various times and from different things.

Maybe something will work out tomorrow. Night all & thanks for the help

I made wave 1 of editing the guide, and added a basic BIOS section. If you need any more clarification, just ask.

Heya, I'm lookn' for different ways to install SL and upgrade my 10.5.7 install. Do you think it'd work on my EVGA 780i mobo with the nvidia drivers?

Well, I can't say too much about a 780i chipset, as this family of boards has an Intel P45 chipset, but I would really try a fresh install before an upgrade... Upgrades have been a little more shaky from what I've read around, but if you really want to you could attempt one. Remember there's always the option of installing SL to a drive/partition fresh, and using Migration Assistant to move all of your files/settings over. I've found that Migration Assistant is actually pretty good at that stuff.

I'd like a fresh install, but I've got everything set up nicely on 10.5.7 and would love it if I could just go with it. I don't have room for a partition. I'm using the Darwin loader atm, should I get the Chameleon? Also, how far would I get with 9800GX2 drivers? lol

Wow, thanks d00m42 for all your hard work!

I found the guide to be quite straightforward, and am posting from SL now. Sound is not yet working (Shows up with all ports in Profiler though), but other than that... ;)

My system:

• GA-EP45-UD3LR F5
  • Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo 3.00 GHz
  • EVGA e-GeForce 7600 GT 256MB
  • SATA 640GB HDD with [10.5.6][Win7 x32][Win7 x64]
  • SATA 60GB SSD with SL and PC-EFI
  • IDE 80GB HDD for Time Machine

Issues:

• KP when I try doing a software update (update_dyld_shar)
  • Sound doesn't yet work
  • IDE drive doesn't show up at all (ATA kext problem? I have the jmicron kext in Extra/Extensions)

Oh, and other than the very first boot I haven't been using -v -x32. Should I be?

Also, I have CPU enhanced halt state and Virtualization Technology on, and haven't noticed anything

Thanks again,

Kelso

It was going well until the DSDT part. There's a part in the guide that says "- for using a network you have two options by copying the following code from code.txt to the end of Device (PEX4) or Device (PEX5)"

Does that mean we replace all the code from (including Device (PEX4)):

Device (PEX4)

Geez you're doing it by hand??? If you have access to a PC with Windows, Use this thread! Just remember to read the section on fixing the CMOS reset problem before you use the compiled DSDT.aml file

@JFLNYC, please make your own DSDT before you post with problems, because you could have minute differences that cause problems. Also, if you have a quad core processor, my DSDT will not work anyways, because it is compiled for a C2D. You can rebuilt the Extensions.mkext if you want, I wasn't aware it was empty. Also if you want to use RC2 you have to make sure that you replace the "boot" file in the root of the drive, which isn't included in my pack I think. The one I included is pre-modded to work with SL. Remember, YOU HAVE TO PROVIDE A LOG/PICTURE OF THE KP! I can't do much when all I get is, "I think it might be the CPU". Post some log/picture and I'll take a closer look : )

Thanks for the reply. I'm running a C2D and later in the thread I noticed you suggested to others to use your DSDT. Also, forgive my ignorance, but how do I get a log/picture of the KP?

Thanks again.

I'm getting there. I can get to the desktop now.

No audio, not listed in preferences. Profiler lists for audio: Intel High Definition Audio Device ID: 0x1458a002

As for rebuilding the kextcache, all I can find is to run: sudo touch /System/Library/Extensions

Is that correct?

I'm now pleased to say I've got it working perfectly! I'm posting from SL now. For the benefit of others who may be struggling, here's what I did:

1. I changed the CMOS settings to match those you provided (I don't think they were posted yesterday, were they?).

2. Also, I had misunderstood the bootloader installation process and had used just a Chameleon installation package rather than your PC EFI 10.1, which I did not realize contained Chameleon, too.

Once I made those changes, everything worked. And, btw, I used your DSDT.

Thanks so much. Your hard work and generosity are much appreciated.

Hey Guys, I've followed the directions but am getting an error once about 5 to 15 seconds once the desktop opens. I have a GA EP45-UD3P, but I'm also using a firewire sound card. I've tried various things all without success. I currently removed the DSDT.aml and any kext that deal with HDA because I'm using an external sound card. Trying to simply everything just to get it running for more than 15 seconds. Attached is my error, it relates to SystemUIServer. Various searches for this haven't been helpful.

Motherboard : Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 1.93 Ghz

RAM: 6 GB (3 x 2 GB) Corsair XMS2 @ 800 MHz

GFX: MSI GeForce 6660

HDD: 200GB Sata

Sound: External Tascam Fireone

DVD: External USB DVD Player

post-98286-1251558021_thumb.jpg

I understood everything of your guide, except this: "First thing we have to take care of is manually editing the UUID of the Snow drive"

Where excatly can I find this UUID?

Thanks in advance.

There's a software update available for desktop client. When I try to install it I get a grey veil. When I try to repair permissions I get a "no install package" error message. Anybody have any idea what this about and how to fix it?

Thanks again d00m. Everything is working flawlessly on my first try ;P. Audio, networking, spotlight, graphics etc.. I actually installed mine on an MBR partition. Here's how I did it if anyone wants to know...

I mounted the SL dmg file (I didn't use the DVD, I used an image) and opened disk utility to convert the image to "read and write". Click on Convert at the top of disk utility with the dmg selected. It will prompt you to save the converted .dmg somewhere on your drive. Do so....unmount the readonly dmg of SL and mount the newly created one. Then navigate to "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages", delete "OSInstall.mpkg", add the one on this page http://limiter.fre3.com/blog/?p=19 and follow the rest of d00m's awesome tutorial ;P.

This one will allow you to install on mbr ;P. Hope this helps ...

The only issue I have is when running EFIStudio my 8800gt 512 shows up as a 9800 GTX+ 512 which doesn't bother me too much, but is the only issue that I'm currently having with my setup.

Rgds,

kk

Alright! Well I just woke up, and I see quite a few people are having success! I congratulate you guys, and if you have any Post-Install questions feel free to ask here. If I can't answer them then you can just post in the "Post Install" forum section. I'm going to make a poll on whether this should be stickied or not (even though it really isn't my decision haha) but if you feel it's good enough to deserve that, then please vote honestly. I had to take the last poll down because a bunch of jerks just kept voting that "The guide lead to failure" yet there were fewer failure posts than votes in the poll...

I'd like a fresh install, but I've got everything set up nicely on 10.5.7 and would love it if I could just go with it. I don't have room for a partition. I'm using the Darwin loader atm, should I get the Chameleon? Also, how far would I get with 9800GX2 drivers? lol

I would use Chameleon, use the package I have in my SL Pack so you don't have to muck with replacing any files, because the package I included is pre-patched for SL. As for the 9800 GX2, you'll have to do some searching, but I would just use an EFI string first and see how that goes.

Wow, thanks d00m42 for all your hard work!

I found the guide to be quite straightforward, and am posting from SL now. Sound is not yet working (Shows up with all ports in Profiler though), but other than that... biggrin.gif

My system:

* GA-EP45-UD3LR F5

* Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo 3.00 GHz

* EVGA e-GeForce 7600 GT 256MB

* SATA 640GB HDD with [10.5.6][Win7 x32][Win7 x64]

* SATA 60GB SSD with SL and PC-EFI

* IDE 80GB HDD for Time Machine

Issues:

* KP when I try doing a software update (update_dyld_shar)

* Sound doesn't yet work

* IDE drive doesn't show up at all (ATA kext problem? I have the jmicron kext in Extra/Extensions)

Oh, and other than the very first boot I haven't been using -v -x32. Should I be?

Also, I have CPU enhanced halt state and Virtualization Technology on, and haven't noticed anything

Thanks again,

Kelso

Congrats!! You have EXACTLY the issue I had at the end of a bunch of tries. What I ended up doing (as weird as it sounds), is that I installed the 3 audio kexts (LegacyHDA, HDAEnabler, and AppleHDA) to SL's Extensions folder located at /System/Library/Extensions. You can just use kextutility to make things simpler. After doing this, don't forget to rebuild your kextcache and boot with -v -x32. You might want to try always booting with -v -x32 if you get problems with 64-bit mode, because it doesn't change much.. -v just shows the verbose text on boot, and -x32 forces 32 bit kernel mode, even though 64-bit apps will run fine. As for Software Update, I don't know why you're getting a KP, but could you post a picture of it?

Geez you're doing it by hand??? If you have access to a PC with Windows, Use this thread! Just remember to read the section on fixing the CMOS reset problem before you use the compiled DSDT.aml file

In fact, I DID use that on a windows computer I had, and it FAILED HARD. Half the time it wouldn't compile, and in the end it took me 2 tries of making my own DSDT to get flawless everything... I wouldn't recommend that, as my final results came from creating my own.

Hey Guys, I've followed the directions but am getting an error once about 5 to 15 seconds once the desktop opens. I have a GA EP45-UD3P, but I'm also using a firewire sound card. I've tried various things all without success. I currently removed the DSDT.aml and any kext that deal with HDA because I'm using an external sound card. Trying to simply everything just to get it running for more than 15 seconds. Attached is my error, it relates to SystemUIServer. Various searches for this haven't been helpful.

Motherboard : Gigabyte EP45-UD3P

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo @ 1.93 Ghz

RAM: 6 GB (3 x 2 GB) Corsair XMS2 @ 800 MHz

GFX: MSI GeForce 6660

HDD: 200GB Sata

Sound: External Tascam Fireone

DVD: External USB DVD Player

That's interesting... I will have to look into that one, but don't give up yet. It could possibly be caused by a 3rd party menu bar (at the top) item. Have you installed any of these?

There's a software update available for desktop client. When I try to install it I get a grey veil. When I try to repair permissions I get a "no install package" error message. Anybody have any idea what this about and how to fix it?

I am looking into the Software Update KP problem, so keep checking to see if I've found a solution.

Thanks again d00m. Everything is working flawlessly on my first try ;P. Audio, networking, spotlight, graphics etc.. I actually installed mine on an MBR partition. Here's how I did it if anyone wants to know...

I mounted the SL dmg file (I didn't use the DVD, I used an image) and opened disk utility to convert the image to "read and write". Click on Convert at the top of disk utility with the dmg selected. It will prompt you to save the converted .dmg somewhere on your drive. Do so....unmount the readonly dmg of SL and mount the newly created one. Then navigate to "/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Installation/Packages", delete "OSInstall.mpkg", add the one on this page http://limiter.fre3.com/blog/?p=19 and follow the rest of d00m's awesome tutorial ;P.

This one will allow you to install on mbr ;P. Hope this helps ...

The only issue I have is when running EFIStudio my 8800gt 512 shows up as a 9800 GTX+ 512 which doesn't bother me too much, but is the only issue that I'm currently having with my setup.

Rgds,

kk

Thanks for the tip about MBR, although if OS X is going to be the only OS on the drive, I always like to use GUID to be more "Vanilla". I'll add that information to the guide. The reason that's occuring is you probably used my com.apple.Boot.plist that I included and didn't modify it with the 8800GT 512MB string. It's REALLY easy to do, and I highly suggest you do so.. The only reason it still works is that both cards use the G92 chip, and are fairly similar. If you don't feel comfortable with the way I explained it, then read a guide on EFI strings and use EFI studio to replace my string with yours.

holy {censored}, i'm not quoting that :) :)

anyways, I still have everything I used to get my current setup working, which included a "super-installer" for every NVIDIA GPU past 9800GTX+ and some ATI cards [it's file name is "Enabler_for_Nvidia_and_multiple_ATI_cards.pkg"] The only conflict I see with it is that it's for Leopard, bad things a-happen when I mix and match? lol

Hey d00m,

So I had an old 80GB IDE lying around, so I plugged it in and redid the install on that instead of the external USB, and I got through the whole thing...

Same problem. No problems with verbose boot, then it gets to that pleasant blue screen and just... sits.

Now, I know that my video card is supported in SL (GeForce GTX 260, 896MB VRAM), and I did make myself a custom EFI string for a GeForce with 896MB of RAM.

As for what I used to get things running in 10.5.8, I used netkas's gtx2xx driver series and I think I may have used voodoo for sound, even with vanilla kernel. Everything else should be as is.

Any ideas? lol

(thanks for your help!)

holy {censored}, i'm not quoting that ohmy.gif tongue.gif

anyways, I still have everything I used to get my current setup working, which included a "super-installer" for every NVIDIA GPU past 9800GTX+ and some ATI cards [it's file name is "Enabler_for_Nvidia_and_multiple_ATI_cards.pkg"] The only conflict I see with it is that it's for Leopard, bad things a-happen when I mix and match? lol

Good idea to not quote that lol ; ) Well, I don't know what to say exactly, because you could get mixed results with Leopard drivers. The issue lies more with whether the drivers are x86 or x64. Give it a shot, the worst that happens is you have to start over which doesn't take TOO long if you saved a copy of all the files you edited to use.

Hey d00m,

So I had an old 80GB IDE lying around, so I plugged it in and redid the install on that instead of the external USB, and I got through the whole thing...

Same problem. No problems with verbose boot, then it gets to that pleasant blue screen and just... sits.

Now, I know that my video card is supported in SL (GeForce GTX 260, 896MB VRAM), and I did make myself a custom EFI string for a GeForce with 896MB of RAM.

As for what I used to get things running in 10.5.8, I used netkas's gtx2xx driver series and I think I may have used voodoo for sound, even with vanilla kernel. Everything else should be as is.

Any ideas? lol

(thanks for your help!)

Hmm that damn BSoD again... Try again, this time just make sure you're only using the EFI string for GFX, and out of curiosity, try letting the computer get to the blue screen, and unplugging your monitor. Wait a few seconds, and plug it back in. When you change resolutions in OS X the screen goes blue for a second as it refreshes the monitor. If that doesn't work, then add this to your com.apple.Boot.plist:

<key>Graphics Mode</key>

<string>1280x1024x32</string>

replacing 1280x1024 with your monitor's native resolution.

Hey d00m, I got into SL for about 45 seconds, lol! I haven't modified my dsdt, and I'm using yours. Networking is working but sound is not. (Keep in mind, this is a clean install. No 10.5.8 upgrade here)

I tried to reboot, and I get the BSoD again. I've got hope though, haha! I'm going to try to get in long enough to fix the Spotlight KP.

Thanks again for all your help!

This guide shouldn't be stickied, Yet. since it is specific to your motherboard. if they stickied all the guides like this the first two pages would be all guides. I'm not saying this isn't good. write a generic guide then add solutions to different driver problems as they come up.

Hey d00m, I got into SL for about 45 seconds, lol! I haven't modified my dsdt, and I'm using yours. Networking is working but sound is not. (Keep in mind, this is a clean install. No 10.5.8 upgrade here)

I tried to reboot, and I get the BSoD again. I've got hope though, haha! I'm going to try to get in long enough to fix the Spotlight KP.

Thanks again for all your help!

disabler.kext creates a random crash for me sometimes so i stopped using it.

Okay, I got back in, prevented the Spotlight KP, and EVERYTHING works. Thanks so much, d00m and everyone! I'm gonna play around with this a little bit and then eventually I'll feel confident enough to migrate to my 500GB SATA :)

Another satisfied customer!

This guide shouldn't be stickied, Yet. since it is specific to your motherboard. if they stickied all the guides like this the first two pages would be all guides. I'm not saying this isn't good. write a generic guide then add solutions to different driver problems as they come up.

Ok, I respect your opinion and there is some truth to what you are saying (and like that as someone who believes in the "no" option you have the sense to post why). I've seen more "specific" guides stickied in other forum sections here (especially for Leopard), but I just want to get an idea of what people think so far, regardless if it is stickied or not... I do plan to make it more universal as time goes on, but I need more people who come in and have very few problems to verify that what I have right now is good enough for this board family before I move on to other stuff.

To Thrace, congrats!! If there are any loose ends, let me know!

Hey d00m, just two small things. Software Update causes KP, but it wasn't anything essential. And none of my drives are showing on the desktop, just my MobileMe iDisk and the USB I plugged in.

I thought I read somewhere other people were having software update KPs. I took a picture of the KP.

b528137f.jpg