[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

Well sound and ethernet are working now and Snow Kitty is running like hell at 64bit :D

However... only issue I have with 64bit:

my 3 windows volumes cannot be mounted for some reason - need to check if they still work in 32 bit

Ahh... and another "problem" I was using LittleSnitch at Leo. And I migrated it with all the other programs into Snow Kitty... But it does not work... But I cannot uninstall it because the pref ins´t there too in the system preferences.

Ok... but that might be posted in the Post Install section :)

@d00m42

Good catch! I did not think of that. So I just recompiled a new DSDT with the correct cores etc.. But my "Grey screen of death message" continues.

What I am noticing just before the hang and crash is the sata drives etc start pausing and building long delays to access and then GSOD:)

Now I don't have anything crazy, this is the same computer that has run Chameleon / Retail Install using /Extra/Extensions for almost a year now with zero issues.

Not sure what's happening, but overall the computer seems slower at everything and that goes for the sata as well. I believe this is centered around sata, as SL will run great until I do something with disks..

Case in point, I can crash the computer every time if i try to install Xcode.pkg off the Retail disk, It will start installing then you notice that the HD stops and no DVD/HD lights for about 5-10sec then the DVD will kick on for a few... pause... then the hd.... pause... does this about 3 times then GSOD! LOL

Also will do this doing repair permissions etc, and loading disk utility is much slower than normal

So right now I am stuck, I have gone through the DSDT several times, not finding any issues.

It does this on my DSDT and did it on your included one..

I have included my current DSDT, maybe you can do a quick look see and check if I goofed?

My Computer is pretty simple

Quad 8200 @ 3.36ghz (333latch)

4gb DDR2 1066 @960

2 sata dvd drive

1 500gb sata hd / 1 partition GUID SL setup

BFG GTX260 Maxcore 55

Computer is stable as a rock in everything but SL

dsdt.dsl.zip

I've now tried this method several times without success, trying to follow the instructions to the letter. I get a KP. Seems to have something to do with the CPU, but I'm also getting a version not yet set message. I've got the exact same motherboard, so I'm using your dsdt.aml file.

My system is overclocked. Could that have something to do with it? Works great with 10.5.8.

I've also noticed that your Extensions.mkext file is empty. Is that intentional?

I know I've added the correct EFI string for my GFX card (it's an NV8600GT 256mb).

I'm using Chameleon 2.0 r431 RC1, although I have RC2 if that would help. When you install RC1, do you add the optional kexts during the installation process (I've tried it both ways with no success)? It doesn't seem to be a Chameleon problem because I can boot into my 10.5.8 installation from the Chameleon install on the SL disk without a KP.

Oh, and I've been using -v -x32.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ok, I have a question before I get started attempting this.

My current drive & the drive I want SL on is a 500GB drive. I have a spare 120GB USB drive.

Can I follow these instructions using the USB drive, get everything working & then use CCC to clone it to my regular 500GB drive?

Also, I notice EFI Studio has a 9800GT 1GB RAM but I have a 9800GT with 512MB. Should I use the 1GB string? or the 8800 GT 512MB string?

@Crady, yeah, check 32 bit first, but you might get a few good tips from the Post-Install section.

@BillaBongo, I'll take a look at your DSDT, but I would also try messing with your SATA/AHCI settings if you have issues with drives. Also make sure you deleted JMicronATA.kext if you don't use IDE devices. There is one other kext in my pack I believe that has to do with storage devices, it's an IO one. I never tested my system without it, but you might want to try.

@JFLNYC, please make your own DSDT before you post with problems, because you could have minute differences that cause problems. Also, if you have a quad core processor, my DSDT will not work anyways, because it is compiled for a C2D. You can rebuilt the Extensions.mkext if you want, I wasn't aware it was empty. Also if you want to use RC2 you have to make sure that you replace the "boot" file in the root of the drive, which isn't included in my pack I think. The one I included is pre-modded to work with SL. Remember, YOU HAVE TO PROVIDE A LOG/PICTURE OF THE KP! I can't do much when all I get is, "I think it might be the CPU". Post some log/picture and I'll take a closer look : )

@chicagofilms, well why wouldn't you just install directly to the 500GB drive? If you really want to, then I believe CCC would work. You might have to re-install the bootloader on the 500GB drive afterwards and make sure the Extra folder is set up correctly after cloning, but that's it. I would try the 9800 GTX 512MB first actually, but if the 9800 GT 512MB is a G92 card, you should be good. Otherwise try the 8800 GT 512MB, and if that doesn't work, try the 9800 GT 1024MB. You could always do a search on it, but I have a feeling the 9800 GTX 512 will work, because they're very similar. The X just means it's factory overclocked a little bit.

I just don't want to hose my system if things go bad. Ideally, I'd like to install SL on another drive, take it for a spin and make sure everything works OK. If it does, just move it all to my main drive and I'm done. If SL is borked, I can just pop my old drive back in.

I'm working on it now. Will let you know how it turns out.

Also, How would I install it on my main drive if I'm booted into it? Wouldn't messing with the partition scheme wipe the drive? And when I launch the installer my main drive is not available, there's a message that "you can't install to the boot drive" or something like that.

Oh you mean you want it on a partition with other operating systems also on that drive? You should probably have a backup of the important stuff anyways, it's always useful for even the little issues that come up.

Re:

"Remember, if you do NOT use any IDE devices, then delete JMicronATA.kext, it is not needed."

A JMicron controller driver may also be needed, if intending to use the 2 purple SATA ports.

The IDE port & the 2 purple SATA ports both run off the same JMicron chip.

Commonly used for providing eSATA functionality.

@BillaBongo, I'll take a look at your DSDT, but I would also try messing with your SATA/AHCI settings if you have issues with drives. Also make sure you deleted JMicronATA.kext if you don't use IDE devices. There is one other kext in my pack I believe that has to do with storage devices, it's an IO one. I never tested my system without it, but you might want to try.

Well, I can tell you my bios is spot on and is the same as the standard in Eliades 10.5.8 EP45-UD3R thread setup. Works flawless under 10.5.x ->8

In fact I put my 10.5.8 drive back on and problem has ceased

Whats funny is I left the SL running for approx 3hrs with no crash and even let it sleep several times, no issues... but as soon as you start doing something intensive that involves the disk or sata connected devices.. ie reading / writing... its the gsod again. :)

I removed the kext you suspected as I was also starting to wonder.. but it almost instantly balked at the apple boot screen. I did however manage to get to the desktop on the 2nd attempt and noticed that disks are now appear as USB devices.. then GSOD..

So I put it back and now it loads fine.

I even made sure to spec -x32 flag so I know it is not a 64 kernel issue

Im trying to install this with one disk. I have three partitions at the moment. One is Windows 7, one is a working Leopard 10.5.7 install and one is blank, which i was hoping to use for Snow Leopard. My question is, how would I go about doing this? My hard drive has a MRB, and not a GPT. Is there really no way to convert it without deleting everything? Also, is it possible to install Snow Leopard on an external hard drive?

There is no way to convert a drive to a different partition table without deleting everything. It is possible to use an external drive, just follow the same exact instructions for a regular drive and make sure you chose to boot from that drive when your BIOS screen comes up.

There is no way to convert a drive to a different partition table without deleting everything. It is possible to use an external drive, just follow the same exact instructions for a regular drive and make sure you chose to boot from that drive when your BIOS screen comes up.

Alright. Thank you. Would an IDE hdd work? Or should I just invest in another SATA drive?

It was going well until the DSDT part. There's a part in the guide that says "- for using a network you have two options by copying the following code from code.txt to the end of Device (PEX4) or Device (PEX5)"

Does that mean we replace all the code from (including Device (PEX4)):

Device (PEX4)

up to

Device (PEX5)

With this:

Device (LAN0)

{

Name (_ADR, 0x00)

Name (_PRW, Package (0x02)

{

0x0B,

0x04

})

Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)

{

Store (Package (0x04)

{

"built-in",

Buffer (0x01)

{

0x01

},

"device_type",

Buffer (0x09)

{

"ethernet"

}

}, Local0)

DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))

Return (Local0)

}

}

Or would that get pasted at the end of the PEX4 code, before the PEX5 code starts?

It seems quite a bit shorter than what's in there already. And the code is all jibberish to someone like me.

Thanks

@rich, that's kind of risky though, I'd recommend having a backup before trying that...

@chicagofilms, you have to paste it after PEX4 and before 5 I believe, also there was a discrepancy between the guide and the code, where the guide said LAN and the code said LAN0. I decided to change the code to LAN instead of LAN0, don't think that affects it though. Remember to apply the CMOS fix though, that's the most important!

Ugh, tried & failed. I get random KP's before I can even get to add the drives to Spotlight like you recommend. Syspref KP's. Geforce KP's, and a few others.

Your system is more or less the same as mine, so I'm just going to try again with your DSDT & my UUID and the efi string for the 8800GT and see what happens.

On the one hand, I hate when stuff doesn't work easy. On the other, I appreciate and really like the learning experience along the way...

Don't give up! I will help you make this work. Start fresh, use your UUIDs, and use the 8800GT 512MB string. I did some research and people with the 9800GT 512MB seem to have some success with the 8800 string. Try with my DSDT, although you will need a dual core processor (not single/quad) if you use my DSDT. When you get a KP this time, make note of what process caused it, or provide some log/picture and I'll try to figure out if there's a fix for it.

The learning process is great though, the more you fail the more you know about how not to fail the next time you try. That's the best way to learn.

Also, one other option is to boot with -s and just rebuild the kextcache (only have to do it once) in -s (single user mode) where there's no GUI or spotlight or anything loaded. If you get a KP caused by mds or mdworker, it has to do with Spotlight.

Well, I have a GA EP45-UD3R myself and I've followed this great guide (tyvm, btw) and withOUT modifying the DSDT, I can boot up to the blue screen that doesn't go anywhere.

I'm trying to recreate my DSDT, and I'm having trouble following the instructions where it tells me to start modifying dsdt.dsl. Also, do I need to add an EFI string for my gtx 260 now that SL supports it?

THANKS!

If you have a C2D processor, then you can try my DSDT, but REMEMBER TO BOOT WITH -v -x32. I got a blue screen sometimes due to something related to 64-bit kernel mode. Make sure to use those boot flags.

Secondly, a blue screen could mean graphics not properly working. Add an EFI string for your GTX 260, as even though it's supported, an EFI string just tells the computer what card you have so it can use its native drivers. Modifying a DSDT can be annoying as hell and take a few tries, but it's worth it in the end. Try to rebuild the /Extra/Extensions kextcache and add an EFI gfx string. Boot up with -v -x32 and tell me if you still get a blue screen.

If you have a C2D processor, then you can try my DSDT, but REMEMBER TO BOOT WITH -v -x32. I got a blue screen sometimes due to something related to 64-bit kernel mode. Make sure to use those boot flags.

Secondly, a blue screen could mean graphics not properly working. Add an EFI string for your GTX 260, as even though it's supported, an EFI string just tells the computer what card you have so it can use its native drivers. Modifying a DSDT can be annoying as hell and take a few tries, but it's worth it in the end. Try to rebuild the /Extra/Extensions kextcache and add an EFI gfx string. Boot up with -v -x32 and tell me if you still get a blue screen.

I do have C2D, 3.0 Northwood OC to 3.5. Interesting thing. I have 10.5.8 running on my 500gb SATA, so this is on an external USB HDD, so it has its own version of Chameleon now. When I try to boot up my 10.5.8 in the new chameleon bootloader, it gives me the same load to blue screen and stop problem. Other than that, there's no errors in the verbose boot.

Interesting, then it seems to be a problem with the "new" Chameleon on the external drive. Is there any way you could just backup your 500gb drive and try it on that? I haven't tried to boot/use SL off an external USB drive, but I don't see why one would blue screen and the other wouldn't... Look in the /Extra/Extensions folder of your 500GB drive, tell me what kexts are in there for your 10.5.8 install.

I'm starting to think about going to sleep, so pretty soon I won't be able to answer questions till later tomorrow. Keep them coming though, and if anyone reading someone's problem has an idea of how to fix it, don't hesitate to help each other out!

I am considering scrapping my 10.5.8 install for good in lieu of SL being so stable, smooth, and compatible with my hardware. I am going to probably run a TM backup of both my current SL installation on my 150GB drive and my old Leopard 10.5.8 installation on my 75GB drive and then delete the Leo install, clone the SL install to the 75GB drive with CCC (It's a WD VelociRaptor, so 10,000RPM > 7,200RPM of my 150GB drive), and make sure it works, at which point I'll wipe the drive I cloned SL FROM (7200 drive), and then probably use it for some variant of Windows (either slimmed down XP or 7) probably alongside a light Linux distro. I have a separate 300GB storage drive for 85% of all of my media/other files that don't go on the OS's drive. I'll try to run GeekBench once I have my SL on the fast hard drive and give some actual numbers.

Well no luck here, I'm off to bed. I'll get at it again tomorrow.

Could you please post your BIOS settings tomorrow? I'm wondering if I have something set differently.

One odd thing I noticed when following the guide though (not BIOS related) is after installing SL to my second drive, when I start to edit a file, I can't save it. It says I don't have permissions. I have to change the folder to "Read & Write" through getinfo.

But no matter what I do, I get KP at various times and from different things.

Maybe something will work out tomorrow. Night all & thanks for the help