[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

d00m42

Stability  

692 members have voted

1. 1. How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

• Perfect.
    • Not quite there yet...

2,289 posts in this topic

Ok guys, I posted a preliminary guide, still procrastinating my homework haha, but let me know if it works out for you!

@SavvyX4, try the kexts I have in my pack that I posted, they're in the Extra/Extensions folder.

@chicagofilms, no problem! And well I posted a guide, figured people would want it sooner rather than later. Better to have it up before the rush of people who get it tomorrow and want to install.

@richtig, yes, I used AHCI. I did include, however, a JMicronATA.kext that's edited for x64 and should work out fine. I have two Song DRU-820a DVD burners, and they're both IDE. Oddly enough, even though I have the controller set to AHCI and AHCI mode for IDE, they still seem to work fine. I haven't done any extensive testing, but unfortunately I THINK that you might need to use AHCI otherwise you will get the "Still waiting for root device..." error.

Oops, I just realized that I created the .zip and never posted it.. lack of sleep lol. Editing now.

EDIT: Posted it to a different hosting site, link is next to list of needed materials at the top of the guide. (InsanelyMac only allows 2MB attachments).

Btw... w00t 100th post :thumbsup_anim:

Any feedback at all yet? I know there will be much more to talk about and many more issues to solve when SL comes out tomorrow and many people get their hands on a copy, but I was just wondering if anyone reading the preliminary guide noticed anything really wrong or something I can change/word better to make it more concise.

First, thanks for building the guide! I have a GA-EP45-DS3R but I'm hoping your guide may work for my board too sense they are so similar.

Is the SL kext pack attachment broken for anyone else? It only downloads as a 3KB file for me.

Ok I'm going to sleep, but the download link for the SL Pack should be fixed, and tomorrow when I get back from school I'll start to work on updating the guide to include a section on the BIOS, perhaps a few pictures in general to clarify things which may be confusing. All feedback is welcome, I will edit the guide as people actually do some testing tomorrow.

If you have an EP45-UD3R or even a UD3L or UD3P, then this should be a quick and easy install lol. Took me around 2 days because I had to do everything manually and figure out which kexts I needed, but it was well worth it in the end. SL has been more stable then Leopard for me. So far my uptime is 15h 30m, having used sleep twice successfully in between. Not a single KP (crosses fingers) yet!

I'll be back later around 2-2:30 PM EST to start making some changes. I'll answer any questions then!

My boot was OK after getting around some of the kp and wait for root device. But I couldn't get past the graphics mode. It will display rubbish. I am using an HD4870. I did get the graphics device-id string into the com.apple.Boot.plist using the gfxutil. I also generated the dsdt.aml using the DSDT Patcher. I am not sure what else I did wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I've downloaded your kext pack and after switching to your files, I can now boot successfully in 32bit mode, and VMWare works for me. My only issue at this point is that I am again sound-less, but I'm pretty sure its a DSDT issue, as System Profiler shows the sound hardware, but with no available devices listed. I'm going to be reading the DSDT documents that you included in your pack to see about actually creating a completely custom DSDT like I know I'm supposed to do in the first place :(.

Excellent work d00m42!

I just built my 10.6 SL drive and used everything in your "package".

I have this exact MB and use only SATA/AHCI nothing legacy is enabled...

Only difference is I have a GTX260 Maxcore 55 video card

Just so you know, I used your DSDT.AML and it works perfect.

1. Sound does work, but needed to change the output from headphone to line out

2. For people using GTX 260+ cards, Drivers are in SL native.. no drivers needed

3. You will need to generate and add a EFI string, Uinstaller works well for this

4. Once you have confirmed that /Extra/ Com.apple.boot.plist contains the new EFI string, reboot and enjoy!

**Note: if you are NOT using IDE then drop the jmircon.kext, as it is useless **

Update: I don't know about the rest of everyone's experience, but I find SL to be much slower than 10.5.8 was on my Quadcore system, curious as to what others have experienced.

Other that that, no real issues... I have had 2 kernel panics while doing unziping or loading .dmg files.. but minor.

Well I'm back and I should have some free time over this weekend to improve the guide.

@vincechan06, I would try NOT using GFX in your DSDT (I didn't, and an EFI string worked on it's own). I'll look more into the issue of ATI cards, as I've always been an Nvidia guy so I don't know as much about ATI.

@SavvyX4, yeah, definitely make your own DSDT, but make sure you are using the right HDAEnabler, LegacyHDA, and even AppleHDA kexts. If the ones I provided in my Extra/Extensions folder don't work, first try also installing them from WITHIN SL once you've booted using KextUtility. Post here when you've tried that. If it doesn't work, there are a few different versions of LegacyHDA you can use depending on which sound device you have. Don't forget to use the IORegistryExplorer program in the DSDT folder to make sure you know what the address of your ethernet/sound are!

@BillaBongo, great to hear you had success! Thanks for reminding me to inform everyone of the uselessness of JMicronATA.kext, I personally have 2 IDE DVD drives, but many people don't use IDE devices anymore. I have instructions about EFI strings for GFX already in the guide, it's exactly what I did. No drivers for my 9800 GTX either : ) The reason your SL is slower than Leo is probably because you used my DSDT.aml. I have a higher end dual core processor (E8500) that I've overclocked to 3.8 GHz (currently, I'm testing 4.05 GHz). If you have a quad-core proc and are using a DSDT compiled for a dual core, I'd make your own to take full advantage of all 4 cores.

As for the KPs related to unzipping files/loading dmgs, I'll do some further research because I don't seem to have that problem.

If you have an EP45-UD3R or even a UD3L or UD3P, then this should be a quick and easy install lol. Took me around 2 days because I had to do everything manually and figure out which kexts I needed, but it was well worth it in the end. SL has been more stable then Leopard for me. So far my uptime is 15h 30m, having used sleep twice successfully in between. Not a single KP (crosses fingers) yet!

I'll be back later around 2-2:30 PM EST to start making some changes. I'll answer any questions then!

Thanks for all the info....Have ordered the EP-45-DS3L a few days ago and have been waiting for it to come it. This will be my fist hackingtosh build, but I have built several PC's in the past. I have to admit that I was a little worried that Apple's release of Snow might make some substantial changes in an attempt to stop the hackintosh community. Looking forward to your future updates....Thanks

The Mule

@The Mule, you shouldn't face TOO many issues. Following this guide you will only need to make a few small changes possibly related to DSDT/kexts depending what ethernet/sound you have in your EP45-DS3L. Otherwise everything related to bootloader and editing the smbios/com.apple.Boot.plist/PlatformUUID.kext is all the same. Hackintoshes are rewarding, but always take some kind of experimenting. Good luck!

I've got an Areca RAID card that is taking up my 16x PCI-E slot. Does anybody have any recs for a cheap PCI or 1x PCIe video card that they are using with 10.6? This machine is acting as a server, so I only need the bare minimum.

Also, since it is a server I don't care about sound or the onboard LAN(I have a natively supported PCI card) do I need to bother with DSDT?

thanks,

-dev

Yes, you need to patch the CMOS reset bug by editing a DSDT, but if you don't care about LAN/Sound you might be able to get by using mine.

Unrelated, I need a favor from someone out there who has Snow installed, otherwise I can't do anything with Snow because I accidentally corrupted the loginwindow.app. Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/ and attach your "loginwindow.app". I don't think this is against the rules, but because mine is corrupted, every time I try to log in it goes back to the user select screen and doesn't ever let the desktop load : ( This happens EVEN in safe mode.

Thanks for all the info....Have ordered the EP-45-DS3L a few days ago and have been waiting for it to come it. This will be my fist hackingtosh build, but I have built several PC's in the past. I have to admit that I was a little worried that Apple's release of Snow might make some substantial changes in an attempt to stop the hackintosh community. Looking forward to your future updates....Thanks

The Mule

Where are you getting the EP-45-DS3L? I can't find it on Newegg (discontinued), but there are some suppliers showing up on Google.

Thanks!

Worked so far - but I guess I made a little mistake in the DSDT because I have no sound and the internet is veeeeeery slow atm...

Just entered the correct values and now waiting for spotlight to finish indexing (10 Min left) to reboot with the corrected version.

post-108003-1251494207_thumb.png

Awesome! Make sure you use the right device addresses, and make sure you're very careful where you paste the code additions in the .dsl. You can always try mine, but it might not work. Also, to everyone else, I ended up just installing Snow with no additions to a flash drive and copying the fresh loginwindow.app from there.