[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

• Please log in to reply
2288 replies to this topic

Poll: Stability (692 member(s) have cast votes)

How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

1. Perfect. (266 votes [43.25%])

Percentage of vote: 43.25%

2. Not quite there yet... (349 votes [56.75%])

Percentage of vote: 56.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

BillaBongo

BillaBongo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
Excellent work d00m42!

I just built my 10.6 SL drive and used everything in your "package".
I have this exact MB and use only SATA/AHCI nothing legacy is enabled...
Only difference is I have a GTX260 Maxcore 55 video card

Just so you know, I used your DSDT.AML and it works perfect.

1. Sound does work, but needed to change the output from headphone to line out
2. For people using GTX 260+ cards, Drivers are in SL native.. no drivers needed
3. You will need to generate and add a EFI string, Uinstaller works well for this
4. Once you have confirmed that /Extra/ Com.apple.boot.plist contains the new EFI string, reboot and enjoy!

**Note: if you are NOT using IDE then drop the jmircon.kext, as it is useless **

Update: I don't know about the rest of everyone's experience, but I find SL to be much slower than 10.5.8 was on my Quadcore system, curious as to what others have experienced.

Other that that, no real issues... I have had 2 kernel panics while doing unziping or loading .dmg files.. but minor.

d00m42

d00m42

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
Well I'm back and I should have some free time over this weekend to improve the guide.

@vincechan06, I would try NOT using GFX in your DSDT (I didn't, and an EFI string worked on it's own). I'll look more into the issue of ATI cards, as I've always been an Nvidia guy so I don't know as much about ATI.

@SavvyX4, yeah, definitely make your own DSDT, but make sure you are using the right HDAEnabler, LegacyHDA, and even AppleHDA kexts. If the ones I provided in my Extra/Extensions folder don't work, first try also installing them from WITHIN SL once you've booted using KextUtility. Post here when you've tried that. If it doesn't work, there are a few different versions of LegacyHDA you can use depending on which sound device you have. Don't forget to use the IORegistryExplorer program in the DSDT folder to make sure you know what the address of your ethernet/sound are!

@BillaBongo, great to hear you had success! Thanks for reminding me to inform everyone of the uselessness of JMicronATA.kext, I personally have 2 IDE DVD drives, but many people don't use IDE devices anymore. I have instructions about EFI strings for GFX already in the guide, it's exactly what I did. No drivers for my 9800 GTX either : ) The reason your SL is slower than Leo is probably because you used my DSDT.aml. I have a higher end dual core processor (E8500) that I've overclocked to 3.8 GHz (currently, I'm testing 4.05 GHz). If you have a quad-core proc and are using a DSDT compiled for a dual core, I'd make your own to take full advantage of all 4 cores.

As for the KPs related to unzipping files/loading dmgs, I'll do some further research because I don't seem to have that problem.

The Mule

The Mule

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

If you have an EP45-UD3R or even a UD3L or UD3P, then this should be a quick and easy install lol. Took me around 2 days because I had to do everything manually and figure out which kexts I needed, but it was well worth it in the end. SL has been more stable then Leopard for me. So far my uptime is 15h 30m, having used sleep twice successfully in between. Not a single KP (crosses fingers) yet!

I'll be back later around 2-2:30 PM EST to start making some changes. I'll answer any questions then!

Thanks for all the info....Have ordered the EP-45-DS3L a few days ago and have been waiting for it to come it. This will be my fist hackingtosh build, but I have built several PC's in the past. I have to admit that I was a little worried that Apple's release of Snow might make some substantial changes in an attempt to stop the hackintosh community. Looking forward to your future updates....Thanks

The Mule

d00m42

d00m42

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
@The Mule, you shouldn't face TOO many issues. Following this guide you will only need to make a few small changes possibly related to DSDT/kexts depending what ethernet/sound you have in your EP45-DS3L. Otherwise everything related to bootloader and editing the smbios/com.apple.Boot.plist/PlatformUUID.kext is all the same. Hackintoshes are rewarding, but always take some kind of experimenting. Good luck!

johnniecarcinogen

johnniecarcinogen

Yellow Box

• Gurus
  • 746 posts
Are these kexts also 64 bit?

devros

devros

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I've got an Areca RAID card that is taking up my 16x PCI-E slot. Does anybody have any recs for a cheap PCI or 1x PCIe video card that they are using with 10.6? This machine is acting as a server, so I only need the bare minimum.

Also, since it is a server I don't care about sound or the onboard LAN(I have a natively supported PCI card) do I need to bother with DSDT?

thanks,

-dev

d00m42

d00m42

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
Yes, you need to patch the CMOS reset bug by editing a DSDT, but if you don't care about LAN/Sound you might be able to get by using mine.

Unrelated, I need a favor from someone out there who has Snow installed, otherwise I can't do anything with Snow because I accidentally corrupted the loginwindow.app. Go to /System/Library/CoreServices/ and attach your "loginwindow.app". I don't think this is against the rules, but because mine is corrupted, every time I try to log in it goes back to the user select screen and doesn't ever let the desktop load : ( This happens EVEN in safe mode.

chimpanzee

chimpanzee

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Thanks for all the info....Have ordered the EP-45-DS3L a few days ago and have been waiting for it to come it. This will be my fist hackingtosh build, but I have built several PC's in the past. I have to admit that I was a little worried that Apple's release of Snow might make some substantial changes in an attempt to stop the hackintosh community. Looking forward to your future updates....Thanks

The Mule

Where are you getting the EP-45-DS3L? I can't find it on Newegg (discontinued), but there are some suppliers showing up on Google.

Crady

Crady

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
Thanks!

Worked so far - but I guess I made a little mistake in the DSDT because I have no sound and the internet is veeeeeery slow atm...

Just entered the correct values and now waiting for spotlight to finish indexing (10 Min left) to reboot with the corrected version.

Attached File  Bildschirmfoto_2009_08_28_um_22.45.54.png   382.39KB   184 downloads

d00m42

d00m42

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
Awesome! Make sure you use the right device addresses, and make sure you're very careful where you paste the code additions in the .dsl. You can always try mine, but it might not work. Also, to everyone else, I ended up just installing Snow with no additions to a flash drive and copying the fresh loginwindow.app from there.

Crady

Crady

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
Well sound and ethernet are working now and Snow Kitty is running like hell at 64bit :D

However... only issue I have with 64bit:

my 3 windows volumes cannot be mounted for some reason - need to check if they still work in 32 bit

Ahh... and another "problem" I was using LittleSnitch at Leo. And I migrated it with all the other programs into Snow Kitty... But it does not work... But I cannot uninstall it because the pref ins´t there too in the system preferences.

Ok... but that might be posted in the Post Install section :)

BillaBongo

BillaBongo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
@d00m42

Good catch! I did not think of that. So I just recompiled a new DSDT with the correct cores etc.. But my "Grey screen of death message" continues.

What I am noticing just before the hang and crash is the sata drives etc start pausing and building long delays to access and then GSOD:)

Now I don't have anything crazy, this is the same computer that has run Chameleon / Retail Install using /Extra/Extensions for almost a year now with zero issues.

Not sure what's happening, but overall the computer seems slower at everything and that goes for the sata as well. I believe this is centered around sata, as SL will run great until I do something with disks..

Case in point, I can crash the computer every time if i try to install Xcode.pkg off the Retail disk, It will start installing then you notice that the HD stops and no DVD/HD lights for about 5-10sec then the DVD will kick on for a few... pause... then the hd.... pause... does this about 3 times then GSOD! LOL

Also will do this doing repair permissions etc, and loading disk utility is much slower than normal

So right now I am stuck, I have gone through the DSDT several times, not finding any issues.

It does this on my DSDT and did it on your included one..

I have included my current DSDT, maybe you can do a quick look see and check if I goofed?

My Computer is pretty simple
Quad 8200 @ 3.36ghz (333latch)
4gb DDR2 1066 @960
2 sata dvd drive
1 500gb sata hd / 1 partition GUID SL setup
BFG GTX260 Maxcore 55

Computer is stable as a rock in everything but SL

Attached Files

JFLNYC

JFLNYC

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
I've now tried this method several times without success, trying to follow the instructions to the letter. I get a KP. Seems to have something to do with the CPU, but I'm also getting a version not yet set message. I've got the exact same motherboard, so I'm using your dsdt.aml file.

My system is overclocked. Could that have something to do with it? Works great with 10.5.8.

I've also noticed that your Extensions.mkext file is empty. Is that intentional?

I know I've added the correct EFI string for my GFX card (it's an NV8600GT 256mb).

I'm using Chameleon 2.0 r431 RC1, although I have RC2 if that would help. When you install RC1, do you add the optional kexts during the installation process (I've tried it both ways with no success)? It doesn't seem to be a Chameleon problem because I can boot into my 10.5.8 installation from the Chameleon install on the SL disk without a KP.

Oh, and I've been using -v -x32.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

chicagofilms

chicagofilms

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
ok, I have a question before I get started attempting this.

My current drive & the drive I want SL on is a 500GB drive. I have a spare 120GB USB drive.

Can I follow these instructions using the USB drive, get everything working & then use CCC to clone it to my regular 500GB drive?

Also, I notice EFI Studio has a 9800GT 1GB RAM but I have a 9800GT with 512MB. Should I use the 1GB string? or the 8800 GT 512MB string?

d00m42

d00m42

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
@Crady, yeah, check 32 bit first, but you might get a few good tips from the Post-Install section.

@BillaBongo, I'll take a look at your DSDT, but I would also try messing with your SATA/AHCI settings if you have issues with drives. Also make sure you deleted JMicronATA.kext if you don't use IDE devices. There is one other kext in my pack I believe that has to do with storage devices, it's an IO one. I never tested my system without it, but you might want to try.

@JFLNYC, please make your own DSDT before you post with problems, because you could have minute differences that cause problems. Also, if you have a quad core processor, my DSDT will not work anyways, because it is compiled for a C2D. You can rebuilt the Extensions.mkext if you want, I wasn't aware it was empty. Also if you want to use RC2 you have to make sure that you replace the "boot" file in the root of the drive, which isn't included in my pack I think. The one I included is pre-modded to work with SL. Remember, YOU HAVE TO PROVIDE A LOG/PICTURE OF THE KP! I can't do much when all I get is, "I think it might be the CPU". Post some log/picture and I'll take a closer look : )

@chicagofilms, well why wouldn't you just install directly to the 500GB drive? If you really want to, then I believe CCC would work. You might have to re-install the bootloader on the 500GB drive afterwards and make sure the Extra folder is set up correctly after cloning, but that's it. I would try the 9800 GTX 512MB first actually, but if the 9800 GT 512MB is a G92 card, you should be good. Otherwise try the 8800 GT 512MB, and if that doesn't work, try the 9800 GT 1024MB. You could always do a search on it, but I have a feeling the 9800 GTX 512 will work, because they're very similar. The X just means it's factory overclocked a little bit.

chicagofilms

chicagofilms

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
I just don't want to hose my system if things go bad. Ideally, I'd like to install SL on another drive, take it for a spin and make sure everything works OK. If it does, just move it all to my main drive and I'm done. If SL is borked, I can just pop my old drive back in.

I'm working on it now. Will let you know how it turns out.

Also, How would I install it on my main drive if I'm booted into it? Wouldn't messing with the partition scheme wipe the drive? And when I launch the installer my main drive is not available, there's a message that "you can't install to the boot drive" or something like that.

d00m42

d00m42

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
Oh you mean you want it on a partition with other operating systems also on that drive? You should probably have a backup of the important stuff anyways, it's always useful for even the little issues that come up.

richtig

richtig

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
Re:
"Remember, if you do NOT use any IDE devices, then delete JMicronATA.kext, it is not needed."
A JMicron controller driver may also be needed, if intending to use the 2 purple SATA ports.
The IDE port & the 2 purple SATA ports both run off the same JMicron chip.
Commonly used for providing eSATA functionality.

BillaBongo

BillaBongo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

@BillaBongo, I'll take a look at your DSDT, but I would also try messing with your SATA/AHCI settings if you have issues with drives. Also make sure you deleted JMicronATA.kext if you don't use IDE devices. There is one other kext in my pack I believe that has to do with storage devices, it's an IO one. I never tested my system without it, but you might want to try.

Well, I can tell you my bios is spot on and is the same as the standard in Eliades 10.5.8 EP45-UD3R thread setup. Works flawless under 10.5.x ->8

In fact I put my 10.5.8 drive back on and problem has ceased

Whats funny is I left the SL running for approx 3hrs with no crash and even let it sleep several times, no issues... but as soon as you start doing something intensive that involves the disk or sata connected devices.. ie reading / writing... its the gsod again. :)

I removed the kext you suspected as I was also starting to wonder.. but it almost instantly balked at the apple boot screen. I did however manage to get to the desktop on the 2nd attempt and noticed that disks are now appear as USB devices.. then GSOD..

So I put it back and now it loads fine.
I even made sure to spec -x32 flag so I know it is not a 64 kernel issue

d00m42

d00m42

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
Well the GA EP45-UD3R has plenty of SATA ports, there are quite a few orange ones that can be used before the purples. Thanks though, I'll mention that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy