[GUIDE]Retail Snow Leopard 10.6 on a GA EP45-UD3R

• Please log in to reply
2288 replies to this topic

Poll: Stability (692 member(s) have cast votes)

How stable is your Snow Leopard installation?

1. Perfect. (266 votes [43.25%])

Percentage of vote: 43.25%

2. Not quite there yet... (349 votes [56.75%])

Percentage of vote: 56.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

scorcho

scorcho

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
wouldn't it be quicker to boot into single-user mode the first time and repair permissions from terminal? that'll save the system from getting KPs to begin with while leaving spotlight untouched.

d00m42

d00m42

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
That is a better solution (now knowing that a kextcache rebuild was the solution), but I just described what I did personally, because at first I wasn't sure what was causing the KP so I had to be booted into the system to explore exactly how to fix the issue without permanently disabling Spotlight.

But yes, single user mode kicks ass, it's saved me a bunch of times haha : )

SavvyX4

SavvyX4

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
Thanks for posting as you went along, I've been able to get my UD3R system ALMOST perfect after getting sound to work with the info in this thread.

I have culled kext's from the various Gigabyte threads in the forum, and have ended up with 6 kexts in my E/E folder: ALC889a, Disabler, fakesmc, OpenHaltRestart, PlatformUUID and SleepEnabler. After rebuilding the boot caches, my system boots up normally, sound, ethernet and video are all working great. My problem is that I need to use VMWare Fusion, and as is well known, it doesn't work when running with the 64bit kernel. What I'm seeing is that when I boot with -x32 at the Chameleon prompt, my system KPs immediately when booting, giving the Mac OS version not yet set version error.

After poking at this for a while now, I think I've managed to become more confused! Does anyone have any thoughts? Perhaps if I switch my kexts out to the ones that d00m42 is using will allow me to boot in 32bit?

chicagofilms

chicagofilms

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
You're my hero! :rolleyes:

I'm picking up SL tomorrow and was going to install on my Macbook. Now I know I can get my Hackintosh going as well!

I don't want to bother, but I hope you post a guide, files, etc. soon.

I can't wait to get this going & hope they release SL enhanced apps soon. Even my meager (these days)8GB, quad core @3.2ghz and 9800GT has gotta shred on apps that support GrandCentral & OpenCL.

richtig

richtig

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
Is the UD3R bios set up for AHCI, Raid or Disabled?
Some online OSX install guides state that AHCI is a necessity.
But some less expensive boards (such as the Biostar P35D2-A7: ICH9 non-Raid chipset) don't include the AHCI option.
Please include all non-default bios settings, when writing your "how to" guide.
Other posters even go so far as to flash a custom modified bios onto their motherboard.
But (evidently) you didn't go that route.

d00m42

d00m42

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
Ok guys, I posted a preliminary guide, still procrastinating my homework haha, but let me know if it works out for you!

@SavvyX4, try the kexts I have in my pack that I posted, they're in the Extra/Extensions folder.

@chicagofilms, no problem! And well I posted a guide, figured people would want it sooner rather than later. Better to have it up before the rush of people who get it tomorrow and want to install.

@richtig, yes, I used AHCI. I did include, however, a JMicronATA.kext that's edited for x64 and should work out fine. I have two Song DRU-820a DVD burners, and they're both IDE. Oddly enough, even though I have the controller set to AHCI and AHCI mode for IDE, they still seem to work fine. I haven't done any extensive testing, but unfortunately I THINK that you might need to use AHCI otherwise you will get the "Still waiting for root device..." error.

asher_ungar

asher_ungar

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Ok guys, I posted a preliminary guide, still procrastinating my homework haha, but let me know if it works out for you!

where's the attachment?

d00m42

d00m42

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
Oops, I just realized that I created the .zip and never posted it.. lack of sleep lol. Editing now.

EDIT: Posted it to a different hosting site, link is next to list of needed materials at the top of the guide. (InsanelyMac only allows 2MB attachments).

Btw... w00t 100th post :thumbsup_anim:

d00m42

d00m42

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
Any feedback at all yet? I know there will be much more to talk about and many more issues to solve when SL comes out tomorrow and many people get their hands on a copy, but I was just wondering if anyone reading the preliminary guide noticed anything really wrong or something I can change/word better to make it more concise.

drobi78

drobi78

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
First, thanks for building the guide! I have a GA-EP45-DS3R but I'm hoping your guide may work for my board too sense they are so similar.

Is the SL kext pack attachment broken for anyone else? It only downloads as a 3KB file for me.

richtig

richtig

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Please include all non-default bios settings, when writing your "how to" guide.

I agree.

d00m42

d00m42

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
Ok I'm going to sleep, but the download link for the SL Pack should be fixed, and tomorrow when I get back from school I'll start to work on updating the guide to include a section on the BIOS, perhaps a few pictures in general to clarify things which may be confusing. All feedback is welcome, I will edit the guide as people actually do some testing tomorrow.

plympton

plympton

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
Anyone else not able to find the DL link?

Reinert

Reinert

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Nice guide, I'll soon give it a try with my UD3, will post results here!

vincechan06

vincechan06

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hi d00m42, excellent guide and thanks for also providing the kext patches. I'll try it out and post back later.

yakapo

yakapo

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for all your hard work. I recently deleted my old hackintosh to set up raid for win7. I just recently got an extra sata drive, so I'm ready to try SL. I might wait for a quick and easy install however.

d00m42

d00m42

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
If you have an EP45-UD3R or even a UD3L or UD3P, then this should be a quick and easy install lol. Took me around 2 days because I had to do everything manually and figure out which kexts I needed, but it was well worth it in the end. SL has been more stable then Leopard for me. So far my uptime is 15h 30m, having used sleep twice successfully in between. Not a single KP (crosses fingers) yet!

I'll be back later around 2-2:30 PM EST to start making some changes. I'll answer any questions then!

vincechan06

vincechan06

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
My boot was OK after getting around some of the kp and wait for root device. But I couldn't get past the graphics mode. It will display rubbish. I am using an HD4870. I did get the graphics device-id string into the com.apple.Boot.plist using the gfxutil. I also generated the dsdt.aml using the DSDT Patcher. I am not sure what else I did wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

knew know

knew know

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Thanks d00m. The guide is much appreciated. I'll let you know if everything goes well (or not) when I start my install tomorrow.

Rgds,

kk

SavvyX4

SavvyX4

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
I've downloaded your kext pack and after switching to your files, I can now boot successfully in 32bit mode, and VMWare works for me. My only issue at this point is that I am again sound-less, but I'm pretty sure its a DSDT issue, as System Profiler shows the sound hardware, but with no available devices listed. I'm going to be reading the DSDT documents that you included in your pack to see about actually creating a completely custom DSDT like I know I'm supposed to do in the first place :(.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy