• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

Zythyr

Zythyr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
@arya, thanks for the great guide, but I am a little confused about the installation process.

Before I ask my any question, let me give you my specs:

HP Pavilion DV6607nr
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core TK-53
Chipset: NVIDIA nForce 560 MCP67?
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 7150M/nForce 630M (0x053110de)
Conexant HD Audio (0x504514f1)
Wireless: Broadcom BCM4311 (0x431114e4)
Ethernet: nForce Adapter (0x054C10de)

I had a very difficult time installing Leopard due to my nForce 560 chipset. I had to use Leo4Allv4.1 with a special modified Extensions.mkext which finally allowed me to boot into Leopard.

For the Snow Leopard installation, I am confused about the Extensions. Do I have to have special kext like the AppleNForceATA.kext, to have my chipset work? Which other kext do I need? Should I just copy and paste the Extensions in my current Leopard installation into the Extensions folder when I install Snow Leopard?

I was suggested to use the Extensions uploaded by Krishna21 in his nForce 630i guide. Should I use his Extensions or should I use the Extensions from my current Leopard installation?

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,547 posts
  • Interests:At home, I have the following computers......
    >
    >
    >

@arya, thanks for the great guide, but I am a little confused about the installation process.

Before I ask my any question, let me give you my specs:

HP Pavilion DV6607nr
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core TK-53
Chipset: NVIDIA nForce 560 MCP67?
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 7150M/nForce 630M (0x053110de)
Conexant HD Audio (0x504514f1)
Wireless: Broadcom BCM4311 (0x431114e4)
Ethernet: nForce Adapter (0x054C10de)

I had a very difficult time installing Leopard due to my nForce 560 chipset. I had to use Leo4Allv4.1 with a special modified Extensions.mkext which finally allowed me to boot into Leopard.

For the Snow Leopard installation, I am confused about the Extensions. Do I have to have special kext like the AppleNForceATA.kext, to have my chipset work? Which other kext do I need? Should I just copy and paste the Extensions in my current Leopard installation into the Extensions folder when I install Snow Leopard?

I was suggested to use the Extensions uploaded by Krishna21 in his nForce 630i guide. Should I use his Extensions or should I use the Extensions from my current Leopard installation?

In /Extra/Extensions/ you will need the following standard Snow Leopard kexts

fakesmc.V2.5.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext
PlatformUUID.kext (apparently not required if using Chameleon 2.0 RC4)

plus at least the Leopard MCP67 AppleNForceATA.kext and IOATAFamily kexts but try to keep the number of extra kexts to the minimum required for SL to run.........and boot using arch=i386 in com.apple.Boot.plist with the Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4 bootloader installed...........

Initially, add only the MCP67 AppleNForceATA.kext and boot with -v to see what happens........and then add additional kexts based upon any boot-up error messages.........

Zythyr

Zythyr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

In /Extra/Extensions/ you will need the following standard Snow Leopard kexts

fakesmc.V2.5.kext
NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
OpenHaltRestart.kext
PlatformUUID.kext (apparently not required if using Chameleon 2.0 RC4)

plus at least the Leopard MCP67 AppleNForceATA.kext and IOATAFamily kexts but try to keep the number of extra kexts to the minimum required for SL to run.........and boot using arch=i386 in com.apple.Boot.plist with the Chameleon 2.0 RC3 or RC4 bootloader installed...........

Initially, add only the MCP67 AppleNForceATA.kext and boot with -v to see what happens........and then add additional kexts based upon any boot-up error messages.........

I followed arya's guide, and got kernel panic. I used a DSDT Patcher, found in Hardknox's guide, but the build failed, so I forced complied it. After finding no luck with arya's guide, I used Hardknox's guide, and still had no luck. I got the same kernel panic (see below).

Posted Image

So I noticed the kernel panic said something about IOFirewireFamily.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext. So what I did was, replaced those kext with the one from my leopard install so see if i get lucky. No luck, I got another kernel panic, this time saying those kext are outdated and something about dependencies with other kext. (see below)

Posted Image

Also, one thing I am confused about is that different guides (arya, krishna, hardknox) say to put the kext into diffrent locations. For example arya says to put the kext in Extra/Extensions while hardknox says to put them in System/Library/Extensions. Which location is the correct one?

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,547 posts
    >
    >
    >

I followed arya's guide, and got kernel panic. I used a DSDT Patcher, found in Hardknox's guide, but the build failed, so I forced complied it. After finding no luck with arya's guide, I used Hardknox's guide, and still had no luck. I got the same kernel panic (see below).

Posted Image

So I noticed the kernel panic said something about IOFirewireFamily.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext. So what I did was, replaced those kext with the one from my leopard install so see if i get lucky. No luck, I got another kernel panic, this time saying those kext are outdated and something about dependencies with other kext. (see below)

Posted Image

Also, one thing I am confused about is that different guides (arya, krishna, hardknox) say to put the kext into diffrent locations. For example arya says to put the kext in Extra/Extensions while hardknox says to put them in System/Library/Extensions. Which location is the correct one?

Your error messages are due to the fact that the kernel cannot be located........the Kernel key string entry in com.apple.Boot.plist should point to the kernel you wish to boot into:

<key>Kernel</key>
<string>mach_kernel</string>
<key>Kernel Flags</key>
<string>arch=i386</string>

so check that you have the correct kernel entry......

Ideally, non-Apple, non-vanilla kexts should go in /Extra/Extensions/ to keep the vanilla installaion untouched for non-problematic OS X system updating but sometimes a non-vanilla kext will only load when in /System/Library/Extensions/.......however, you can always create a symbolic link in /S/L/E to the kext(s) in /E/E/ if necessary......

Zythyr

Zythyr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Your error messages are due to the fact that the kernel cannot be located........the Kernel key string entry in com.apple.Boot.plist should point to the kernel you wish to boot into:

<key>Kernel</key>
 <string>mach_kernel</string>
 <key>Kernel Flags</key>
 <string>arch=i386</string>

so check that you have the correct kernel entry......

Ideally, non-Apple, non-vanilla kexts should go in /Extra/Extensions/ to keep the vanilla installaion untouched for non-problematic OS X system updating but sometimes a non-vanilla kext will only load when in /System/Library/Extensions/.......however, you can always create a symbolic link in /S/L/E to the kext(s) in /E/E/ if necessary......

I have it set to mach_kernel.test7 since we are using a modified kernel. If I set it to mach_kernel, it just keeps restarting my computer ever time i try to access Snow install.

Do I have to change any permission settings or anything for the mach_kernel.test7 file?

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,547 posts
    >
    >
    >

I have it set to mach_kernel.test7 since we are using a modified kernel. If I set it to mach_kernel, it just keeps restarting my computer ever time i try to access Snow install.

Do I have to change any permission settings or anything for the mach_kernel.test7 file?

Try re-setting the kernel ownership and permissions:

sudo chown root:wheel /mach_kernel.test7
sudo chmod 644 /mach_kernel.test7
exit

Zythyr

Zythyr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Try re-setting the kernel ownership and permissions:

sudo chown root:wheel /mach_kernel.test7
 sudo chmod 644 /mach_kernel.test7
 exit

Nope didn't work. Same kernel panic message.

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,547 posts
    >
    >
    >

Nope didn't work. Same kernel panic message.

Have you tried the other AMD compatible non-vanilla kernels?

Zythyr

Zythyr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Have you tried the other AMD compatible non-vanilla kernels?

Tried Legacy kernel 10.6.2, 10.6.3, and 10.6.4. All give kernel panic which are similar stating something about those IOFirewireFamily.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext.

How do you know that the kernel is not being loaded? It keeps saying something about Firewire, couldn't that be the issue instead?

Which other Snow Leopard AMD kernels can i try?

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,547 posts
    >
    >
    >

Tried Legacy kernel 10.6.2, 10.6.3, and 10.6.4. All give kernel panic which are similar stating something about those IOFirewireFamily.kext and IOPCIFamily.kext.

How do you know that the kernel is not being loaded? It keeps saying something about Firewire, couldn't that be the issue instead?

Which other Snow Leopard AMD kernels can i try?

The kernel is loading when it has a major KP; hence:

Mac OS version:
Not yet set

Disable Firewire in BIOS to see if it is the issue; was it an issue when installing/booting Leopard? You may need to consider trying Slice's IOPCIFamily.kext

Zythyr

Zythyr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

The kernel is loading when it has a major KP; hence:

Disable Firewire in BIOS to see if it is the issue; was it an issue when installing/booting Leopard? You may need to consider trying Slice's IOPCIFamily.kext

My BIOS doesn't have the option to disable Firewire. I tried booting with Slice's IOPCIFamily.kext, but still same issue.

Is there a way to modify a kext to just disregard the firewire since I can't manually disable using BIOS?

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,547 posts
    >
    >
    >

My BIOS doesn't have the option to disable Firewire. I tried booting with Slice's IOPCIFamily.kext, but still same issue.

Is there a way to modify a kext to just disregard the firewire since I can't manually disable using BIOS?

You could rename each of the following Firewire kexts from "kext name" to "kext name".kext.orig

AppleFWAudio.kext
IOFireWireFamily.kext
IOFireWireSerialBusProtocolTransport.kext
IOFireWireAVC.kext
IOFireWireIP.kext

and any other FireWire kexts via Terminal.......

cd /System/Library/Extensions/
sudo mv "kext name" to "kext name".kext.orig

Zythyr

Zythyr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

You could rename each of the following Firewire kexts from "kext name" to "kext name".kext.orig

AppleFWAudio.kext
IOFireWireFamily.kext
IOFireWireSerialBusProtocolTransport.kext
IOFireWireAVC.kext
IOFireWireIP.kext

and any other FireWire kexts via Terminal.......

cd /System/Library/Extensions/
  sudo mv "kext name" to "kext name".kext.orig

Great News!!! Got successfully booted into Snow Leopard by disabling all the Firewire kext. I also had to use "idlehalt=0" bootflag or else it kept giving me Still waiting for root device message. I only added the AppleNForceATA.kext from my Leopard install and didn't use the IOATAFamily.kext.

Few issues/questions

1) So I am guessing now I have to use Marvin's AMD Utilities to patch the CPUIDs? I don't really understand how to use this tool. To what location am I suppose to patch it to?

2) After doing some reserach, I didn't find any solution to my GeForce 7150M graphics card. I tried using the guide, How to create nVida EFI String, and added the efi string to my com.apple.Boot.plist. But after doing so, I wasn't able to boot into my Snow Leopard install. I also tried to create the EFI string using OSX86 Tools. (Note I didn't use the tool to patch the com.appleBoot.plist since this tool is only for Leopard and not Snow). The efi string created using osx86 tools also prevented me from booting into Snow.

All I am trying to do is get better resolution. I added the following to my com.apple.Boot.plist file:
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x800x32</string>

But it didn't work :D . It didn't increase the resolution.

3) No battery manager, (I don't see any info about battery in my Snow) not sure what to do here. Am I suppose to install a battery manager package from a Leopard distro? (Fixed by installing VoodooBattery.kext)

4) I thought in Mac OS X, battery is suppose to last a lot longer than Windows. But I noticed battery is drained within 10-20 mins. Why such poor battery performance?

5) I don't think patching the DSDT thing worked correctly. I use the DSDT Patcher from hardknox's guide, but it couldn't complie, so I forced complied it. I also trying compling it using a diffrent tool, but it doesn't complie. Now everytime i go back to Windows, my clock is reset

6) Just to make sure, all I need to do is the regular software update provided by apple right? I don't need any special hacked version to update to 10.6.4?

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,547 posts
    >
    >
    >

Great News!!! Got successfully booted into Snow Leopard by disabling all the Firewire kext. I also had to use "idlehalt=0" bootflag or else it kept giving me Still waiting for root device message. I only added the AppleNForceATA.kext from my Leopard install and didn't use the IOATAFamily.kext.

Few issues/questions

1) So I am guessing now I have to use Marvin's AMD Utilities to patch the CPUIDs? I don't really understand how to use this tool. To what location am I suppose to patch it to?

See http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=67917

2) After doing some reserach, I didn't find any solution to my GeForce 7150M graphics card. I tried using the guide, How to create nVida EFI String, and added the efi string to my com.apple.Boot.plist. But after doing so, I wasn't able to boot into my Snow Leopard install. I also tried to create the EFI string using OSX86 Tools. (Note I didn't use the tool to patch the com.appleBoot.plist since this tool is only for Leopard and not Snow). The efi string created using osx86 tools also prevented me from booting into Snow.

All I am trying to do is get better resolution. I added the following to my com.apple.Boot.plist file:
<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280x800x32</string>

But it didn't work :( . It didn't increase the resolution.

All GeForce models with X050, X100 and X150 and X200 are integrated to the chipset and are not supported by OS X for Core Image and Quartz Extreme........also, I am not aware of a solution to the 7150M resolution changing issue as of now......

3) No battery manager, (I don't see any info about battery in my Snow) not sure what to do here. Am I suppose to install a battery manager package from a Leopard distro? (Fixed by installing VoodooBattery.kext)

4) I thought in Mac OS X, battery is suppose to last a lot longer than Windows. But I noticed battery is drained within 10-20 mins. Why such poor battery performance?

Poor power management......try VoodooPower 1.2.3
http://www.insanelym...howtopic=143898

5) I don't think patching the DSDT thing worked correctly. I use the DSDT Patcher from hardknox's guide, but it couldn't complie, so I forced complied it. I also trying compling it using a diffrent tool, but it doesn't complie. Now everytime i go back to Windows, my clock is reset

See my blog entry on time difference resolution options........zip up your DSDT.aml and post it......I will take a look........

6) Just to make sure, all I need to do is the regular software update provided by apple right? I don't need any special hacked version to update to 10.6.4?

Download and run the 10.6.4 Combo Update in Safe Mode.......

Zythyr

Zythyr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
I used DSDTSE App to extract my dsdt.aml. I was unable to complie it, so I have uploaded my dsdt.dsl file. Also, I have uploaded the logs from the DSDT Patcher from Hardknox's guide, which I used in order to patch my Snow install.

As for Marvin's AMD Utilities, I selected "Create Patcher Package" but I keep getting kernel panic halfway through the process. I am going to try using Marvin's AMD Util, from my Leopard install to see if I get kernel panic or not.
Ignore my post about trouble with Marvin's AMD Util. I just went back to Snow, and patched the binaries without doing the simulation mode. What changes am I suppose to notice now once my cpuids are patched?
Posted Image

Also, VoodooPower 1.2.3, is for Leopard only. But I am guessing Snow Leopard supported version is coming out soon. Meanwhile I'll give 1.2.3 a try to see if it works.

--------===== Edit ===== --------

I downloaded 10.6.4 combo update and booted into safe mode. Near the end of the installation of update (1 min remaining), I got a kernel panic. The same kernel panic I got earlier regarding the kext related to firewire. I booted into Leopard and noticed that the update reinstalled those firewire related kext. So what I did was, renamed them to Name.kext.bak and try to boot back into Snow. Despite disabling those firewire kext, I am not getting the same kernel panic related to those firewire kext.

Am I not able to boot into Snow, despite disabling the firewire kext, because the update was left unfinished and now when boot into Snow, it automatically loads those kext from another temp location created by the combo update?

Does update always install a fresh copy of kext or did it install it because those firewire related kext weren't present?

Attached Files

verdant

verdant

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,547 posts
    >
    >
    >

I used DSDTSE App to extract my dsdt.aml. I was unable to complie it, so I have uploaded my dsdt.dsl file. Also, I have uploaded the logs from the DSDT Patcher from Hardknox's guide, which I used in order to patch my Snow install.

As for Marvin's AMD Utilities, I selected "Create Patcher Package" but I keep getting kernel panic halfway through the process. I am going to try using Marvin's AMD Util, from my Leopard install to see if I get kernel panic or not.
Ignore my post about trouble with Marvin's AMD Util. I just went back to Snow, and patched the binaries without doing the simulation mode. What changes am I suppose to notice now once my cpuids are patched?
Posted Image

Also, VoodooPower 1.2.3, is for Leopard only. But I am guessing Snow Leopard supported version is coming out soon. Meanwhile I'll give 1.2.3 a try to see if it works.

--------===== Edit ===== --------

I downloaded 10.6.4 combo update and booted into safe mode. Near the end of the installation of update (1 min remaining), I got a kernel panic. The same kernel panic I got earlier regarding the kext related to firewire. I booted into Leopard and noticed that the update reinstalled those firewire related kext. So what I did was, renamed them to Name.kext.bak and try to boot back into Snow. Despite disabling those firewire kext, I am not getting the same kernel panic related to those firewire kext.

Am I not able to boot into Snow, despite disabling the firewire kext, because the update was left unfinished and now when boot into Snow, it automatically loads those kext from another temp location created by the combo update?

Does update always install a fresh copy of kext or did it install it because those firewire related kext weren't present?

I have PM'd your fixed DSDT.aml file.........

Zythyr

Zythyr

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
Wow thanks a lot verdant for give your time and effort to help me. I am sucesfully gotten most of the things working in Snow, except for few.

1) CPUID Patching- Marvin's AMD Utility keeps failing and won't batch the binaries. It progresses past 95% and in the end, it tells me: WARNING! Error reading cpuid data file!!! -- Stopping. Looking at the log.txt, I noticed the error is occurring due to /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib.
(continued)
••• CPUID found in binary: /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib
••• CPUID found in binary: /usr/libexec/ptmd
(continued)
--+ /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib
  +   File is fat
***   err041 - parse cpuids - No base addr or cpuids for prev file name
*** Trying to undo cpuid patches made prior to error
(continued)
It finds the CPUID for it, but then later, during the patching process it can't find the CPUID for it, so it undos all the patching and fails. I looked at the CPUID file, and all it says it this:
/usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib
There is no CPUID listed for this binary, in the CPUID file, but the log indicate, it found a cpuid for it.

*I can simply overcome the issue above by insteading for selecting the whole Snow volume when patching, I can patch all individual directories expect for the /usr/lib/ directory. But this would still prevent me from patching /usr/lib/libcrypto.0.9.8.dylib. But I am not sure how critical is the need for patching this binary? What does this binary do? Will it be okay if I leave it unpatched? *

2) Sound- Can't control volume from the volume slider in the menu bar. I have to go to System Preferences >> Sound. I am still investigating this issue. I noticed others posted similar issue in this thread, so I will post the solution once I have it figured out.
3) Poor battery life- Earlier you said its due to poor power management. Since current version of voodooPower is not Snow compatible, still waiting on the release of voodooPower 1.3 for Snow. Meanwhile I installed voodooPowerAcpi which still didn't really fix the issue.

For those of you who are following this thread or are in similar situation as me, I will be writing a through guide on how I got Snow installed on my nForce 560 chipset, and various issues and problems I ran into and how I fixed them.

Attached Files

sadwitch

sadwitch

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I think the path to be patched to activate keyboard volume control should be this... hope it helps

/System/Library/LoginPlugins/BezelServices.loginPlugin/Contents/MacOS/BezelServices

Volume slider in menu bar still doesn't work

Wow thanks a lot verdant for give your time and effort to help me. I am sucesfully gotten most of the things working in Snow, except for few.

2) Sound- Can't control volume from the volume slider in the menu bar. I have to go to System Preferences >> Sound. I am still investigating this issue. I noticed others posted similar issue in this thread, so I will post the solution once I have it figured out.

For those of you who are following this thread or are in similar situation as me, I will be writing a through guide on how I got Snow installed on my nForce 560 chipset, and various issues and problems I ran into and how I fixed them.

Unforsaken

Unforsaken

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Does this work on AMD Athlon x64 4200+ and Asrock ALiveXFire-eSATA?

ptesone

ptesone

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Does this work on AMD Athlon x64 4200+ and Asrock ALiveXFire-eSATA?

I would search the mac os x86 Wiki for that, if not it's always fun to try :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy