181 replies to this topic

GFOnyX

GFOnyX

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

@GFOnyX

I have a very similar pc, athlon 64 3000+ asus a8n-sli, nvidia 8400GS. Everything is working like on the old 10.5.8 leopard but I'm having a small problem with the sound. I can't change the volume from the slider or with my keyboard, when I move the slider, it goes back to it's position. Also it's really strange that I can use the slider from the audio preferences :D.

Could you try and tell me if that works for you? Also, could you upload your audio kext?

This isn't so simple as it seems.i am sure if you go to itunes preferences, itunes wont show anything and also if you check Sysytem Preferences/spotlight under privacy tab it will crash the system.

These problems along with volume slider can be fixed using marvins amd utility by checking patch all binaries and select the System/library folder.If you check specific folders it will just show a "Unable to determine encrypted files...." message.

HOWEVER if you do this front row will stop from starting. Havent found a solution on this one yet.

I know the folders that need to be patced with a cpuid to fix itunes and spotlight problem.But i dont know the folder for the volume slider problem in order to keep front row working.

And all this is happening due to kernel.When Voodoo releases a SnowLeo AMD kernel we wont have these problems and we wont need Marvins AMD utility.

GFOnyX

GFOnyX

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
i have solved the itunes and spotlight problem with Front Row still working.I also found the location of the "volume slider" but patching it did not help.

The location is System/Library/coreservices/menu extras/volume.menu but as i said the solution is not there.

I guess we can back up the Front Row inside System/Library then patch the whole System/Library folder and then paste back the front row.This may work but i am not willing to try a reformat just for a volume slider in case it fails (i use front row)

GFOnyX

GFOnyX

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
OK.Finally found a solution on this one.

Solution for

• iTunes working partially
  • Spotlight crashing under privacy tab in system preferences
  • Volume Slider not moving

Just patch the System/Library folder by selecting the last option using Marvins AMD utility BUT before patching it back up the Front Row app inside System/Library/CoreServices (after patching Front Row wont start anymore).

After that reboot and paste/replace Front Row you backed up earlier, into System/Library/CoreServices in order to make it work again.

That will do the trick.Hope it helps

Maniac10

Maniac10

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
Thanks maxx :wacko: everything is working fine now.

GFOnyX

GFOnyX

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Thanks maxx :( everything is working fine now.

;)

arya

arya

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Great work guys....

ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
My Old school hardware didnt work.. Is that SSE2 also for you?
Mine does not go futher after getting the correct boot device..(keyboard & mouse also dont work)
Any help appreciated !

I made it too on AMD old school hardware :D

Here are the specs

AMD A64 3000+
ASUS A8N SLi Deluxe
nVidia 6600GT
SATA HD & DVD

Everything is working fine as fas as i can tell.I also edited my dsdt to get rid of the cmos reset and replaced APplenforceATA to make my sata dvd recorder work properly.Everything else (sound,graphics,internet etc) worked from leoaprd installation packages.

Everything is really really fast and responsive.i also updated to 10.6.1 and i must mention that from the moment i booted i have not got not a single KP screen.

I have been completely Snow Leopardized since 10.6.1 is runnin on my intel laptop too.

GFOnyX

GFOnyX

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

My Old school hardware didnt work.. Is that SSE2 also for you?

No.
Mine is socket 939 which means it has SSE3

ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts

No.
Mine is socket 939 which means it has SSE3

:wacko: :-(

Ah well..I havent given up yet.. eBay here I come for the rare Socket 754 SSE3 ! (AMD 3400+ Venice I believe)
or somebody is inspired to modify for SSE2 also !

ptesone

ptesone

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
nuttin but KP's on my trusty old Sempron and new Phenom B)

arya

arya

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

nuttin but KP's on my trusty old Sempron and new Phenom :P

what kind of KP... can u upload the KP sreen shot..
make sure u have replace the boot file using boot file from 1st post, chameleon rc3 boot file or pc Efi 10.3

ptesone

ptesone

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

what kind of KP... can u upload the KP sreen shot..
make sure u have replace the boot file using boot file from 1st post, chameleon rc3 boot file or pc Efi 10.3

yea I replaced the boot file. Gonna try a retail Snow Leopard this time, if I get another KP I'll take a pic and post. . .

EDIT: I tried using a retail Snow Leopard DVD and everything works great!
no more KP's ! ! !

remax

remax

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I can confirm that this method worked for me on a non-AMD system. I have two systems, one that can run Vanilla and one that could not. The 945GZ platform is unable to use the vanilla preboot at this time.

Note: I cannot get 64bit with this kernel. I personally prefer the 32bit kernel but anyone who is looking to go 64bit will have to wait until another kernel or method is released.

MB: ECS 945GZT-M v1.0
CPU: 1.8 Ghz Pentium Dual-Core E2160
GPU: 512 Mbyte nVidia 9400GT
RAM: 2 Gbytes
Drives: 80gb SATA, 80gb PATA, DVD+RW PATA

Spammon,

I have the 945CGZ so I am wondering if they have the same issues. I was able to get to the installer and it started out fine. I guestimate that it went on about half way installing SL then I lost video. Did you get to work?

abg

abg

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Hi arya

Thanks a lot man! I got SL running on my AMD rig.

I followed the steps mentioned in your post #1. I did not use dsdt. Because I could not compile the aml file. My dsl file was so buggy.

I could get SL up and running with EFI strings for nvidia 8400 GS. It worked fine, RTL1000 Ethernet is also working.... patched some binaries with Marvin to get rid of the occasional KPs...now SL is somewhat stable.

Everything looks fine except for the sound. My mobo is M3A78-EM. Sound is ALC1200. I tried almost everything, ALC injector, EFI string, patched HDA and HDA enabler... nothing worked. Voodoohda works, but then the sound seems like that of some aliens! So I removed it.

Any idea how to proceed now?

Many thanks in advance. :)

CrimsonAngel

CrimsonAngel

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
any news on a new kernel now that the sources have been released for almost a month?

deven_suicidal

deven_suicidal

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Bro
Is This really Retail Snow Leopard but why is it written (build 10A32)
Does this mean it's build but not the real retail dics on the market??
Sorry for asking this question, i'm just curious

ptesone

ptesone

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts
Worked like a charm, thanx !

I had to use a retail DVD of Snow Leopard tho, my previous attempts (using other SL downloads) were causing KP's on first boot every time. . .

Also, do you think it is stable enough to run as main OS, I mean is it as solid as Leopard 10.5.8? And is there anything else you can tell us about the modbin test 7 kernel like what features it may or may not have, advantages or dis-advantages we should know about?
just curious. . .

arya

arya

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Bro
Is This really Retail Snow Leopard but why is it written (build 10A32)
Does this mean it's build but not the real retail dics on the market??
Sorry for asking this question, i'm just curious

the retail version on the market have a same build with the GM build that i use to install (10A423). i can also get an update from sofware update

any news on a new kernel now that the sources have been released for almost a month?

not yet.. i have try to build it with voodoo source, its still failed.... :)

Worked like a charm, thanx !

I had to use a retail DVD of Snow Leopard tho, my previous attempts (using other SL downloads) were causing KP's on first boot every time. . .

Also, do you think it is stable enough to run as main OS, I mean is it as solid as Leopard 10.5.8? And is there anything else you can tell us about the modbin test 7 kernel like what features it may or may not have, advantages or dis-advantages we should know about?
just curious. . .

the kernel is a legacy kernel, just a patched kernel its dont have sse3 emulator like voodoo, also its still need to patch some cpuid on AMD kernel.. still in 32 bit mode

i cant boot in 64 bit mode (maybe because AMD doesnt suppor syscall64) but you yan try to boot in 64 mode with test7 kernel using boot argument -64_bit -v

deven_suicidal

deven_suicidal

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Awesome bro
thx
i'll try it

ptesone

ptesone

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

the kernel is a legacy kernel, just a patched kernel its dont have sse3 emulator like voodoo, also its still need to patch some cpuid on AMD kernel.. still in 32 bit mode

i cant boot in 64 bit mode (maybe because AMD doesnt suppor syscall64) but you yan try to boot in 64 mode with test7 kernel using boot argument -64_bit -v

Thanx for the quick reply. Unfortunately I can only install it on a SATA or anything smaller than 128 Gig IDE drive. . .However, I've got it going great on an old 40 Gig IDE I ad laying around. . .

EDIT: btw, how can I tell if I'm running 64 bit???
EDIT EDIT: ioreg -p IODeviceTree -w0 -l | grep firmware-abi type that into a terminal and if you get EFI64 you're good to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy