RealTek 8139

jimmyvau

16 posts in this topic

Has anyone had luck with their realtek 8139 NIC? Mine will work for about 15 minutes and then drop connection. While it is working it is extremely slow, ie dialup speeds. I have taken a look at the console and for miles it displays that there was an error with the driver. Does anyone have a fix for this yet? I tried using the Intel 8256MM driver for my onboard, which worked but also caused random KPs.

I have attached a ss of my console.

post-8923-1251308652_thumb.png

Yes, I used the kexts from:

http://www.kexts.com/cat/7-network.html

You can easily install the Realtek8139 kext with Kext utility but be careful to also replace the kext Realtek kext inside IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins. That's the one that gets loaded so as far as I gather, just putting the downloaded kext into the /System/Library/Extensions folder won't work.

Also, if you need any other network kext, you can put in into the Extensions folder and not bother with IONetworkingFamily.

Good luck!

Hi, I had exactly the same issue with my RTL8139 PCI adapter. Slow internet and this "receiver interrupt error".

I used clamshell's hint and the "solution" is cheap: I replaced the AppleRTL8139.kext in the IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins with the one found here. It should not be done this way because of bad vanilla flavour, but it works.

Hi, I had exactly the same issue with my RTL8139 PCI adapter. Slow internet and this "receiver interrupt error".

I used clamshell's hint and the "solution" is cheap: I replaced the AppleRTL8139.kext in the IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins with the one found here. It should not be done this way because of bad vanilla flavour, but it works.

Thanks, I now have fast internet connection

good job! thank you,by the way do you know the 64 bit drive for AC97 alc655?

post-188142-1252172845_thumb.png

post-188142-1252172861_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

The skydrive link is dead.

Does anyone have another download link? I used my RTL8139 drivers from leopard, 10.5.7, version 1.4.1 (678)., they work for 15 min then my pings timeout, now without the any "receiverinterrupt" errors ;). I would rather have errors in console log with SL vanilla drivers (1.5.3, 284), at least I would know something was wrong.

Do I need a 10.5.8 RTL8139 driver? what version would that be?

thanks

I've installed the 10.5.8 driver too, but I think the actual problem is the UUID 35.

The link you made is dead can you please post your file or attach it here.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome, n00b.

Copy IONetworkingFamily.kext to your desktop.

Copy it one more time to where you keep your backups.

Right-click it, click 'show package contents', the kext will open like a folder.

Do whatever you have to do to the kext

Drag the modified one back into the extensions folder replacing the original, type your password when asked.

At this point a message will appear saying the kext was incorrectly installed and can't be used. Just click it off.

Run Terminal.app - fix permissions and rebuild the extensions cache like this:

sudo -s (then type your password and press return, don't worry it's supposed to be invisible)

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions

chmod -R go=u-w /System/Library/Extensions

touch /System/Library/Extensions

kextcache -v 1 -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions

exit

...and then reboot.

• 2 weeks later...

I updated to 10.6.2 but it still have the same problem. now without the error message. I've tried a 8139C and 8139D but both have the same problem.

I wonder if this is really true?

or its just some 64-bit conflict thinggy ??

(from wikipedia)

[edit] Criticism and praise of quality

In the kernel source code for the FreeBSD operating system, one device driver file goes as far as calling the 8139 card "probably the worst PCI ethernet controller ever made", noting that "the RealTek 8139 PCI NIC redefines the meaning of 'low end.' The 8139 supports bus-master DMA, but it has a terrible interface that nullifies any performance gains that bus-master DMA usually offers." [1]

On the other hand, OpenBSD developer Theo de Raadt has praised Realtek, saying "the (newish) Realtek Gigabit Ethernet chips are not too bad at all, and there's lots of documentation. So maybe the Taiwanese products are a little bit later to the market, but they are simpler and robust once they do make it to the market." [2]

---

for now I use a usb100tx usb 1.1 adapter with the pegasus driver..

• 2 months later...

Hey All,

I have a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Li 1818 whith a RTL8139 onboard nic. Getting this to work correctly under 10.6 is being a nightmare. Ive managed to get it to work once or twice, it has shown up in network interfaces, but ever since then (ive been trying loads of different fixes) i cant seem to get it to appear (i accidentally removed it when it was set to disconnected).

When it worked I was able to ping servers ok, but I couldnt load them via their domain name, seems like a dns issue to me. Now however I cant even do that as the interface has disappeared.

I know the card work as ive got it working in 10.5 with PCGensRTL8139 kext, but the equivalent snow kext doesnt want to work for me.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Oli

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello,

I'm a newbie in mac osx and i want to install my Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC network on this OS. I've tried some different kext files and tutorials but it would not work. I can't choose method used to connect to the internet.

Untitled1.jpg

I installed Mac OSX Snow Leopard iAtkos S3 10.6.3 Ver.2 on laptop Lenovo3000 y400.

Can somebody help me plz ? frown.gif

• 9 months later...

Hey pal, could you upload it here? Thanks!