OS X on an AMD Build

1 post in this topic

I recently just put together an awesome Intel-based build that works flawlessly (thanks to your recommendations!). I'm running OS X 10.5.8 (retail/vanilla install) smoothly and without a single problem...full system specs are in my sig.

Now I'm wondering about running an AMD build. The newest AMD's seem to perform well and are competitively priced compared to Intel's processor line.

Theoretically I'd be looking at something like AMD's Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition or something comparable.

So my question is, how adequately can AMD's run OS X? I've never used an OSX86 build such as iPC, iATKOS, etc...which I know I'd have to use a modified kernel to run OS X on an AMD. Are these modified kernel's stable (if so, which is the best release/kernel to use)? Will an AMD hackintosh run as smoothly as an Intel (retail install) build or is it steps behind in quality and performance? Is it a hassle to set up compared to an Intel setup, or about the same?

Also, for an AMD build is the motherboard brand/model important like it is for Intel builds? If so, which are the best for OSX86 builds?

Thanks!