dual core

dilnalomo

49 posts in this topic

I dont know what some of you are smoking. A non Apple 945GM mobo with Core Duo does NOT work with both cores. Period. It has nothing to do with the hardware, the patched kernel is too old. This already has been discussed quite a bit. Hunt around.

Well, I tried 10.4.5 on two different laptop:

Toshiba Tecra A7 (Core Duo T2400) and Sony Vaio SZ (also core duo T2400). Both those laptops are using a 945GM chipset

On both machine , both CPUs were working as expected.

Not being able to put the vaio to sleep is my main issue.

So it *does* work, Period.

JY

OK, I have a pentium 4 dual core processor. Windows recognizes it as 2 procs, macos x as only one. How can I fix that and have my second core running ?

My motherboard has the intel 915g chipset.

Cheers !

:o)

Besides reboots in vmware(can't even boot the DVD), dual core works fine for me without having to dissable anything on my acer 5672. Seems it's an isolated problem. Sounds like the issues some were having with stuttering could be anything from overheating to file coruption. As far as it being a kernel issue, it shouldn't matter if it uses HPET or LAPIC.

I have the M1710 Laptop from Dell.

I can install with both cpu's enabled and load it with both cpus enabled but I too get the stutter.

We need to get this sorted. I'm getting a good tune going on logic and i'm running out of cpu headroom. :)

I thought this would be the first thing people would want to sort out.

• 2 weeks later...
I dont know what some of you are smoking. A non Apple 945GM mobo with Core Duo does NOT work with both cores. Period. It has nothing to do with the hardware, the patched kernel is too old. This already has been discussed quite a bit. Hunt around.

This may have been correct when you wrote it but is completely false now. I installed 10.4.6 on my Acer Aspire 5672 (with Merom T7400 CPU) and both cores were detected and enabled. Activity monitor shows both cores, and my system is very stable. I am dualbooting with Acronis OS Selctor. Not a single crash in 4 days of testing.

Anybody have any ideas on how to get the Realtek HD sound to work? ;)

BTW...first post for me. Nice place you have here! :D

Seems it's an isolated problem. Sounds like the issues some were having with stuttering could be anything from overheating to file coruption. As far as it being a kernel issue, it shouldn't matter if it uses HPET or LAPIC.

No offense, but you are completely and utterly wrong.

I'm running Dell E1405 with OSX 10.4.6->10.4.7 patched...

I am having the EXACT same issues as the poster above. Dual core is having "panic" errors @ startup. (http://forum.osx86project.org/lofiversion/index.php/t12415.html)

Disabling core duo solved it all. I'm at single core now and it works just fine. It sucks, I know, but I'm hoping for a solution sometime.

I also experienced the SAME "stuttering effect". Typing text....waiting 1-2-3 seconds...the text comes up.

If ANYONE has a fix for this, please please please let us ASAP! I'm shipping this comp to my sister soon.

This may have been correct when you wrote it but is completely false now. I installed 10.4.6 on my Acer Aspire 5672 (with Merom T7400 CPU) and both cores were detected and enabled. Activity monitor shows both cores, and my system is very stable. I am dualbooting with Acronis OS Selctor. Not a single crash in 4 days of testing.

Mine was booting @ first, but then exhibited major problems with stuttering and boot crashes. Congrats that it works for you... I'm jealous!

• 2 weeks later...
No offense, but you are completely and utterly wrong.

I'm running Dell E1405 with OSX 10.4.6->10.4.7 patched...

I am having the EXACT same issues as the poster above. Dual core is having "panic" errors @ startup. (http://forum.osx86project.org/lofiversion/index.php/t12415.html)

Disabling core duo solved it all. I'm at single core now and it works just fine. It sucks, I know, but I'm hoping for a solution sometime.

I also experienced the SAME "stuttering effect". Typing text....waiting 1-2-3 seconds...the text comes up.

If ANYONE has a fix for this, please please please let us ASAP! I'm shipping this comp to my sister soon.

Mine was booting @ first, but then exhibited major problems with stuttering and boot crashes. Congrats that it works for you... I'm jealous!

All you are talking about disabling one processor through bios, but I don't have that option there. Called to Asus and they told me that if I wanted to disable one processor I should uninstall a Hotfix from windows... but that is in windows, how could I disable one processor from start? Or is it the same you think?

Iam a newbie, so take it easy :)

Thanks / Jennifer

EDIT : OHH yeah... I just saw what you wrote ... When the boot start on my 10.4.6 (install was ok) its on somethin like :

Debugger called<panic>

and then nothing more happens... sounds something like you described

First post here...anyway...

I have an Acer 8200 also, but neither 10.4.5 nor 10.4.6 have worked with my Core Duo. I can't quite figure out how to disable dual core to see if that would change anything; there doesn't seem to be a BIOS option for it. I get the Kernel Panic message, too. I really hope this gets resolved.

When you boot OSX, the screen turns black before it goes to a grey screen.

As soon as the black screen appears, start tapping the F8 key to get to a command prompt. Enter cpus=1 there to run only one cpu.

But your problem may not be the CPU. When you installed OSX, before clicking on the Install button, did you first click on the Customize button and choose packages for your computer? You had to click the little arrow in front of the package category to reveal the individual packages. Be sure you install only Intel packages and only install SSE3, not both SSE2 and SSE3.

i have a dell dimenssion 5150 and i am trying to run mac osx 10.4.6.iso but as soon as darwin start loading the mac shut down button appears and tell me to restart my computer...

running intel pentium d 820 dual core 2.8 ghz

with 3.5 Gb memory and a 160 gb HD..

Yes, I followed dilnalomo's excellent guide to the letter with both 10.4.5 and 10.4.6. The first time through on .6 I insalled SSE3 and SSE2(figuring that both were supported by my CPU) and then redid the install with SSE3 only, but no luck. On 10.4.5, there weren't any options for SSE instructions, so I just used the "ownage" one and the "1045Intel" or however those two went(recalling from memory). Thanks for the cpus=1 tip, but it only caused the wording before my Kernel Panic to be slightly different. Either way, it always has " failed to load extension com.apple.drive.HPET" in yellow followed by something about panicking. I've also tried adding the -x and platform=X86PC parameters, but neither had any effect.

This may sound stupid since I haven't been around here all that long, but would it be useful/possible for us Core Duo users to get the install from the Macbook itself? I read a few times that the old kernel is being used, but that the new one is in use in the Macbook. I'm sure there's a good reason not to use it, but I'd like to know anyhow.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

A little bit different question: Can OS X 10.4 be run on an AMD Turion64 x2 processor? I have a new compaq pc and want to truyn it out. The CPU supports MMX, SSE1, SSE2, SSE3, and 3DNOW!

Also, can OS X 10.4 be installed with virtualization(VM Ware, parallels, or virtual pc)?

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I am new to the x86 revolution myself.

I have not been able to find any information on installing OSx on a AMD Turion 64 TL-52 processor on a HP dv9000 laptop.

I have found information on the other processors, but not specifically for mine.

I have been trying to load the installation as noted here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=11339

I am using the Mac-OS-X-10.4.7-AMD.Intel-(JaS)-ISO-Repack ISO

First I want to be absolutely sure that my processor is supported, and secondly if I should be using a different ISO.

Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello All!!

I just bought a brend new pc :

A dell E520 :

[Résumé système]

Élément Valeur

Système d'exploitation Microsoft Windows XP Professionnel

Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Nu 2600

Éditeur Microsoft Corporation

Ordinateur DUBA

Fabricant Dell Inc.

Modèle Dell DM061

Type PC à base X86

Processeur x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~2128 Mhz

Processeur x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 6 GenuineIntel ~2128 Mhz

Version du BIOS/Date Dell Inc. 2.0.5, 30/11/2006

Version SMBIOS 2.3

Répertoire Windows C:\WINDOWS

Répertoire système C:\WINDOWS\system32

Périphérique de démarrage \Device\HarddiskVolume2

Option régionale France

Couche d'abstraction matérielle Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"

Utilisateur DUBA\Dubaone

Fuseaux horaires Paris, Madrid

Mémoire physique totale 1 024,00 Mo

Mémoire physique disponible 769,92 Mo

Mémoire virtuelle totale 2,00 Go

Mémoire virtuelle disponible 1,95 Go

Espace pour le fichier d'échange 2,40 Go

Fichier d'échange C:\pagefile.sys

It's a Intel core 2 duo.

I tried to install Mac osx 10.4.6 but Kernel make me pbs...

So if I resume, I have to disable one processor to get my PC work with OSX?

• 4 months later...

Thank goodness! Thanks for posting that. I thought I must be going mad! I'm using a Toshiba Tecra M7 which was designed for Core Duo but now has Core 2 Duo cpu with updated bios...Various flavors of weirdness happened with differently-patched 10.4.8 DVDs until I disabled one of the cores.

Ok, I installed 10.4.6 on C2D laptop with 945 chipset - both cores working

Then I updated to 10.4.8 and found that if you want both cores working you need last kernel (from 27 nov 2006)

Thats it

• 10 months later...

I too have this issue with my Dell D430. Bluetooth, Wifi and Sound all work wonderfully but I cannot get it to boot without disabling one core in the BIOS. Anyone looking into creating a patch that would allow for this?

There is definitely a few models on the that have this issue. Would be great to get one of the Kalyway, Leo4All iaktosl guys to take a peek at one of our laptops to figure out whats happening :)