SL on a Asus P5Q?

Beukhof1

81 posts in this topic

Currently running Snow Leopard on my P5Q3 signature rig with Chameleon 1.012 and a modified boot file, and installed using the retail DVD. I can boot into SL without any problems, but I keep getting random kernel panics.

Here's the steps I took:

1. Created 2 partition on my SL HDD, from my Leopard install (one for my main Snow install, and the other to restore the DVD image to)

2. Went to Volumes/Mac OS X Installation/OSX Install.mpkg (or something like that) and installed SL to the main Snow partition

3. Ran the Chameleon RC 1.0.12 installer, and used TechnoJunkie's show all app to Show All files, removed the boot and replaced it with the one in Quaza's package

4. Ran the DSDT GUI patcher, and placed the dsdt.aml file in my Extras folder

5. Added the kexts found in Quaza's package, along with some other 64 bit kexts I found after a Google search (skipped the System/Library/Extensions kexts for the time being)

6. Edited the SMBIOs.plist and placed that into my extras folder

7. Modified the apple.com.boot.plist with EFI strings and the usual, placed that into my extras folder

8. Booted up,

Running in 64-bit mode and it's mostly okay, but I get random kernel panics when I try to run certain applications (i.e. Quicktime, iTunes, Time Machine KPs EVERY time). I thought at first that it was the modded AppleHDA kext, or the VoodoHDA kext, but I've removed both of those and done a clean install. Problems still persist. Thoughts??

I've been able to install SL on my ASUS P5Q. I installed SL by going to /Volumes/SLDVD/System/Installation/Packages/

and running OSInstall.mpkg from a working Leopard install. I am currently using Chameleon 1.0.12 with Netkas' EFI 10.1 and a patched dsdt.aml. Chameleon 2.0 r431 seems to cause a kernel panic (vanilla kernel). I'm going to retry Chameleon 2.0 though again...

Using special kexts from, Netkas as well... without those kexts, this endeavor would prove to be fruitless.

You definitely want to have a separate hard drive for installing/trying SL, so you can keep a working Leopard install or existing install unharmed. Just be sure to name the volumes differently, so you don't inadvertently install SL/Chameleon/Patches/Fixes to the wrong volume!

I'll also be writing up a guide... so stay tuned.

My setup...

Motherboard:

ASUS P5Q w/ 2102 Juzzi BIOS (no slic) - DriveXpert disabled, Express Gate disabled, Onboard LAN disabled, Marvell 88SE6111 disabled, Serial Port disabled...

Onboard Sound (does not work, trying to patch with HDEF injection into DSDT - ongoing project)

I'm also going to try VoodooHDA.kext, the one that's been recompiled for x64. Since a lot of people are saying it works for ALC1200...

Processor:

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0GHz Wolfdale

Memory:

Patriot Viper Series 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066 MHz PC-8500 5-5-5-15 @ 2.1v

Graphics:

eVGA Geforce GTS 250 Superclocked 1GB (using efi injection in com.apple.Boot.plist under device-properties) - QE/CI fully working under SL.

Network Wireless (recognized as Airport):

NetGear WG311T Super G 108-mbps Wireless PCI Adapter (works out of box, based on Atheros AR5004G, no hacks/mods necessary)

Network Wired:

NetGear GA311 PCI (works out of box, based on RTL8169S, no hacks/mods necessary)

UPDATE!!! - ALC1200 onboard audio working with recompiled VoodooHDA.kext for SL 32/64!!

:(

I've tried following a guide at a different website, and it includes instructions on how to install Chameleon v2 RC1 r431 and another pkg called Chameleon v2 Snow Leopard Support. The problem is, after installing the SL support package for Chameleon v2, and even if the install doesn't error out, the kernel panics. Not sure why, but I'm pretty sure that the Chameleon team is aware of it. So, I'm presently stuck with using Chameleon v1.0.12 with EFI 10.

Anyways, like everyone else was saying in this post about getting ALC1200 to work under SL, just look for the recompiled VoodooHDA.kext for SL 32/64. It's pretty easy to find if you use Google! Though, the one thing I did notice was that Line Out is listed like four times under Output and Play Sound Effects through (e.g., Line Out / Line Out / Line Out / Line Out).

As shown in Output:

Line Out / Line Out / Line Out / Line Out

Headphones

SPDIF Out

SPDIF Out

One of the SPDIF Out is probably the COAX port on the rear panel and the optional header for either an optical port or coax port. I haven't tested front panel headphone jack, rear panel/front panel microphone, and either SPDIF ports.

Oh yeah, just as an FYI.. I am only running the 32-bit kernel, and not the 64-bit kernel. Everything is working fine... I'll try out the 64-bit kernel with arch=x86_64 added to com.apple.Boot.plist once I know that this install method is stable; which by all accounts seems to be the case!

If any of you want to see a PDF, reply to this post!

Peace,

IanT

UPDATE!!! - ALC1200 onboard audio working with recompiled VoodooHDA.kext for SL 32/64!!

:D

I've tried following a guide at a different website, and it includes instructions on how to install Chameleon v2 RC1 r431 and another pkg called Chameleon v2 Snow Leopard Support. The problem is, after installing the SL support package for Chameleon v2, and even if the install doesn't error out, the kernel panics. Not sure why, but I'm pretty sure that the Chameleon team is aware of it. So, I'm presently stuck with using Chameleon v1.0.12 with EFI 10.

Anyways, like everyone else was saying in this post about getting ALC1200 to work under SL, just look for the recompiled VoodooHDA.kext for SL 32/64. It's pretty easy to find if you use Google! Though, the one thing I did notice was that Line Out is listed like four times under Output and Play Sound Effects through (e.g., Line Out / Line Out / Line Out / Line Out).

As shown in Output:

Line Out / Line Out / Line Out / Line Out

Headphones

SPDIF Out

SPDIF Out

One of the SPDIF Out is probably the COAX port on the rear panel and the optional header for either an optical port or coax port. I haven't tested front panel headphone jack, rear panel/front panel microphone, and either SPDIF ports.

Oh yeah, just as an FYI.. I am only running the 32-bit kernel, and not the 64-bit kernel. Everything is working fine... I'll try out the 64-bit kernel with arch=x86_64 added to com.apple.Boot.plist once I know that this install method is stable; which by all accounts seems to be the case!

If any of you want to see a PDF, reply to this post!

Peace,

IanT

Hi Ian, I have a Asus P5Q motherboard as well. I have a near perfect install of 10.5.8 (vanilla) and would love to get SL up and running. Do you have a PDF with instructions on what you did to make it work?

That would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Panther1

Hi Ian, I have a Asus P5Q motherboard as well. I have a near perfect install of 10.5.8 (vanilla) and would love to get SL up and running. Do you have a PDF with instructions on what you did to make it work?

That would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Panther1

Hey Panther1,

I will have a draft of the guide within the next day or so... and yes it'll be in PDF and HTML, most likely it'll be posted as a new topic.

Just to reiterate what I had said in my first post... The guide that i'll be adding here requires that you have a working Leopard install, in order to install SL. Also, the guide makes use of TWO hard drives >> (Working Leopard Install Drive + Snow Leopard Drive)... Since there isn't a known working method of using boot-132 to install SL (tried, and failed, even searched google). I think it has something to do with the boot file on the boot-132 iso/disc; but that's just my speculation.

So, gimme a day or so, and I'm sure you'll try it out!

IanT

Hey Panther1,

I will have a draft of the guide within the next day or so... and yes it'll be in PDF and HTML, most likely it'll be posted as a new topic.

Just to reiterate what I had said in my first post... The guide that i'll be adding here requires that you have a working Leopard install, in order to install SL. Also, the guide uses TWO hard drives for (Working Leopard Install Drive + Snow Leopard Drive)... Since right now, there isn't a method of using boot-132 to install SL (tried, and failed, even searched google). I think it has something to do with the boot file on the boot-132 iso/disc; but that's just my speculation.

So, gimme a day or so, and I'm sure you'll try it out!

IanT

Sounds good. Keep up the good work! I will try the two hard drive method tonight again. I did manage to get it to work one time and it got to the desktop but it KP within 2 minutes.

SL did infact seem much quicker and responsive what little I was able to see so far. :wacko:

Panther1

My version based on quaza's method.

It is very easy to install Snow Leopard retail on Asus P5QL-Pro. Everything works fine including audio, graphics, lan ...

Before you start anything. Read the posts for os x leopard 10.5 retail installation here and here. You will find infos on bios hack for Asus P5Q series mobos, and installation tips for leopard 10.5. You need a working os x leopard partition.

0. In the Bios enable acpi 2.0 without this option enabled I think You will have miserable efforts to boot into Snow Leopard. You can find this option under the power management tab > ACPI 2.0 support. I assure you if you do not enable it your newly installed will kernel panic at startup. So ENABLE IT.

1. Do the usual partitioning, and snow leopard restoring to a partition thing using disk utility (it is discussed in many topics. The idea is to have three partitions. My config is: One guid disk with two partitions, and an additional guid disk with one partition. One partition serves for containing the restored Snow leopard disk installer).

2. Open up a finder window of the disc or partition where the Snow Leopard installer is. Go to Finder:Go:Go to folder

copy this into the the opening field>

system/Installation/Packages

Start the installation using the OSInstall.mpkg file.

3. Install only the core system

4. After setup has finished its job, make sure not to restart your computer.

5. Install Chameleon bootloader 2. rc2 (Download link is here), be careful installing it to the newly installed snow leopard partition

6. Downloaad the package quaza has provided, it contains all the kexts you need. I provide here the pack of quaza P5Q_SL_Final.zip (I've taken out the bootloader folder which is chameleon 2 ..., just download it from its site.)

7. Download MuCommander from versiontracker

8. Download kekthelperb7

9. In Mucommander copy the boot file quaza has provided to the root of the newly installed snow leopard partition.

10. Likewise copy the four files from Extensions Extra 64Bits & 32Bits to extra:extensions on this new partition.

11. It is time to restart

12. In the bios set your primary boot disk to the one which contains this new Snow Leopard install.

13. When your bootloader starts press F8. If you are quick you will see the command line. Enter here:

"Graphics Mode"="640x480x32"

It will effectively skip the setup assistant with an error message (saying that It can not use setup assistant at this small resolution). If you have a newer graphics card it is a must to do, becouse a neverending loop can occur with the setup assistant. I am not sure but it was the case with leopard.

14. Snow leopard will boot into its gui, now in small resolution. Do not panic. This method gives you the super duper user access, not setting up a usual user with setup assistant. Just restart.

15. This second time boot, the setup assistant won't show up, Snow leopard boots into the gui. Probably 1024x768. In system preferences : user account create a password for yourself. Fire up kexthelper7b. Drag and drop the 3 kexts from quaza Extensions System 64Bits & 32Bits to the window, enter your password and push easy install.

16. Fire up efistudio from quaza's pack, choose your efi string for your videocard. Mine is 9800 gt 512 mb it needs 8800 gt 512 mb efi string to work. I suggest you to search this theme before choosing your efistring, unfortunately apple does not provide all the drivers, but there are identical chips under different names. Push write to boot.apple....

17. Restart

18. Et voala > You have a fully working Snow Leopard 64 bit system.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Alternatively you can use osx86tools to install the 3 kexts. In this case after Snow Leopard installer had finished its job, do not restart yet, follow the steps to point 10. After that, open up osx86tools choose install kexts, choose the 3 kexts from quaza Extensions System 64Bits & 32Bits, choose the target snow leopard partition. Now you can reboot, in bios choose your snow leopard drive, and start normally without any options entered at bootloader startup. Setup Assistant opens, use it, in my case (I've tried this method too) video was default 1024x678, sound was ok. When snow leopard gui is loaded use efistudio for your videocard as detailed above in step 16. And hopefully all would be ok.

Sounds good. Keep up the good work! I will try the two hard drive method tonight again. I did manage to get it to work one time and it got to the desktop but it KP within 2 minutes.

SL did infact seem much quicker and responsive what little I was able to see so far. ;)

Panther1

Panther1,

hey there, thanks for the kudos! lol i appreciate that -- i'll have the PDF done sometime tomorrow afternoon/evening PST.

i decided that i didn't want to use a digital camera/camcorder to record the screen while setting BIOS options, so that's why it's taking a bit longer than I had anticipated.

s-video out from GTS 250 1GB to Hauppage WinTV 2250 to MPEG-2 stream = screenshot bliss!

peace,

IanT

A beautiful picture :wacko:

I make the translation for tomorrow (French hour).

capturedcran20090901165.jpg

I'm Italian sorry for bad English

can I have the guide setup nvidia 9800GT because in Leopard 10.5.8 sees it as generic nvidia and have problems viewing characters blurred

I'm Italian sorry for bad English

can I have the guide setup nvidia 9800GT because in Leopard 10.5.8 sees it as generic nvidia and have problems viewing characters blurred

Use efistudio, choose nvidia geforce 8800 gt 512 mb (or 256, use the correct value) for your vga card. Push write to boot.apple..., restart. Under system preferencse, appearance, choose your optimal font smoothing.

Use efistudio, choose nvidia geforce 8800 gt 512 mb (or 256, use the correct value) for your vga card. Push write to boot.apple..., restart. Under system preferencse, appearance, choose your optimal font smoothing.

ok :wacko:

Hallo, I'm new here :)

@proceduralmind

all worked perfect till 13. After I entered this text "Graphics Mode="640x480x32" pushed ENTER and saw the apple bootlogo, the sound came up but now Video!My Screen works with 640x480 in Windows

My System: ASUS P5Q Deluxe 2201 BIOS, Q9550, EVGA GTX260 SSC

Can you help me?

thx

Hallo, I'm new here :)

@proceduralmind

all worked perfect till 13. After I entered this text "Graphics Mode="640x480x32" pushed ENTER and saw the apple bootlogo, the sound came up but now Video!My Screen works with 640x480 in Windows

My System: ASUS P5Q Deluxe 2201 BIOS, Q9550, EVGA GTX260 SSC

Can you help me?

thx

Try skipping this step, maybe you can use the setup assistant, without a neverending loop.

Boot without any options entered at startup, probably the setup assistant comes up, use it, after that use kexthelper, efistudio ... as detailed in the next steps.

If a loop occurs, u have to use osx86tools from os x 10.5, go back 10.5 leopard, open osx86tools install with this app the three kexts provided in the file and reboot to snow leopard.

---------------------------------

I've modified the original post, I'm copying here the relevant text from there:

Alternatively you can use osx86tools to install the 3 kexts. In this case after Snow Leopard installer had finished its job, do not restart yet, follow the steps to point 10. After that, open up osx86tools choose install kexts, choose the 3 kexts from quaza Extensions System 64Bits & 32Bits, choose the target snow leopard partition. Now you can reboot, in bios choose your snow leopard drive, and start normally without any options entered at bootloader startup. Setup Assistant opens, use it, in my case (I've tried this method too) video was default 1024x678, sound was ok. When snow leopard gui is loaded use efistudio for your videocard as detailed above in step 16. And hopefully all would be ok.

Try skipping this step, maybe you can use the setup assistant, without a neverending loop.

Boot without any options entered at startup, probably the setup assistant comes up, use it, after that use kexthelper, efistudio ... as detailed in the next steps.

If a loop occurs, u have to use osx86tools from os x 10.5, go back 10.5 leopard, open osx86tools install with this app the three kexts provided in the file and reboot to snow leopard.

---------------------------------

I've modified the original post, I'm copying here the relevant text from there:

tried now both, same result :-( apple bootlogo! Sound! No Video :-(

Hey everyone, I have been following the guide on this, and thanks for your help. But I am currently trying to get this running on my P5Q Turbo, every time I follow all the steps and go to boot into snow leopard, I get a kernel panic and it wont load.

Anyone have any suggestions. i've tried all the boot flags, maybe its a bios setting, or something that I need to change that is different between the P5Q turbo and the rest of the group?

Thanks

Hey everyone, I have been following the guide on this, and thanks for your help. But I am currently trying to get this running on my P5Q Turbo, every time I follow all the steps and go to boot into snow leopard, I get a kernel panic and it wont load.

Anyone have any suggestions. i've tried all the boot flags, maybe its a bios setting, or something that I need to change that is different between the P5Q turbo and the rest of the group?

Thanks

What time/point ya get the KP? You booting from the disk you installed SL on (Change settings from bios)? I wasnt doing this before and i got instant KP upon trying to boot SL. (I was booting from Leo disk using Chameleon, but ya need to boot from SL disk)

Also Turn on ACPI 2.0 in bios.

Booting into safe mode and 32bit ( -x32 - v -x) is the simple way, then install ya kextz from there.

(taken from another thread)

photov.th.jpg

This is the same Kernel Panic that I am getting, at the moment I am booting from the SL drive, however when I get home tonight I will have to try unplugging the 10.5.7 drive, and also unplugging the ATA DVD/RW, cause this may be causing the issue?

(taken from another thread)

photov.th.jpg

This is the same Kernel Panic that I am getting, at the moment I am booting from the SL drive, however when I get home tonight I will have to try unplugging the 10.5.7 drive, and also unplugging the ATA DVD/RW, cause this may be causing the issue?

YOU MUST ENABLE ACPI 2.0 SUPPORT IN BIOS. Asus p5q series > Bios > power tab. Deafult is turned off. This is why it kernel panics at once. In my guide I stated that this is very important!!!

YOU MUST ENABLE ACPI 2.0 SUPPORT IN BIOS. Asus p5q series > Bios > power tab. Deafult is turned off. This is why it kernel panics at once. In my guide I stated that this is very important!!!

Ya i agree, it didn't work without ACPI 2.0 disabled!

Anyone got the 4850 Working in 64bit mode? I added DEV ID to ATI4800Controller Kext, With EVOEnabler kext, but system hangs on boot up? (no kp, just stops on voodhda me thinks, which is sound, thought that was 64 bit compatible?)

Currently running 4850 using Netkas Enabler and ATIRNDRV and ATINDRV kexts from leo. (Boots default into 32bit)****

****Sracth that, working now! (AirportExtreme not working under 64 bit)