 - P5W DH Deluxe - [SUCCESS]

rsilves

185 posts in this topic

here's one

what are the kexts you have in your /Extra/Extentions ?

You should only need fakesmc.kext and PlatformUUID.kext to boot (others can be added one by one for additional features/fixes).

make sure to boot to 32bit kernel with -x32 .

Tommy

what are the kexts you have in your /Extra/Extentions ?

You should only need fakesmc.kext and PlatformUUID.kext to boot (others can be added one by one for additional features/fixes).

Tommy

I've given up for the night. I think at one point I was down to just those two, can't be sure though. I'll try again tomorrow and report back

I reinstalled, copied the same kexts you are using, copied the boot file, dsdt, -x -v -s -x32, and it gives KP.

My bios is 2704, and I think I didn't upgrade it because newer BIOS didn't work with my Leopard install..

Can this be causing the errors? What should I do?

Thanks a lot!

Rodrigo

++ I still have unanswered questions from post #12 ;)

You guys need to quit swapping DSDT.aml files like they are candy and build your own. I followed THIS GUIDE and my Gigabyte board runs much smoother. You can also cut down on the amount of extra kexts you are using to fix problems too.

Don't forget you can add in network and graphics too. Probably still have to use the same kexts (or compatible ones) for your Realtek ALC882M sound.

I reinstalled, copied the same kexts you are using, copied the boot file, dsdt, -x -v -s -x32, and it gives KP.

My bios is 2704, and I think I didn't upgrade it because newer BIOS didn't work with my Leopard install..

Can this be causing the errors? What should I do?

Thanks a lot!

Rodrigo

++ I still have unanswered questions from post #12 ;)

Rodrigo,

I told you that my DSDT.aml built with my bios 2801. You need to build your own. see my post #18 http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181769#

I will get my BIOS settings to you when i get back home.

Tommy

Thanks Tommy and bigpoppa206 for your last comments.

These are the kind of words I need to really understand some things. Because I am totally lost sometimes with thoughts like "is it necessary to do this? can it really make a difference? what does it change? can it be the cause of my KPs? or maybe it's just an improvement to make the computer go faster? (which I don't need right now) maybe it's better to get a file from other user, which I know is working, instead of making it and introducing more probabilities of errors" Etc, etc, etc.

Luck, will tell news later.

Rodrigo

>> Still having those unanswered questions in post #12, which I think are like these kinds of big doubts I mentioned here. :( Thx again.

So the last time I tried booting yesterday, I was only loading OpenHaltRestart in addition to the required .kexts. Also, as best I can tell the DSDT i'm using is pretty much correct. I made it from the BIOS file for the version I'm running on my MB, and I even included the network and video settings (didn't include audio because my board has 883 and the only options where 888); there are lots of settings in that Patcher, so I'm not 100% sure the one I made will actually work perfectly with my lan/video but unless things like the 'Time Machine Fix' being incorrectly set can cause this KP, I think my DSDT is not the culprit. I'm going to try taking it out, and also taking out OHRestart just to see what happens.

ok so just tried with only UUID and fakesmc, with and without the DSDT, and nothing changed from before. Seems like this is a fairly common problem and at this point I'd just be making stuff up and shooting in the dark to try and fix things, so I'm just going to wait. If anyone has any specific ideas of what to try let me know, it'd be much appreciated.

Ok, I finally got the SL installed and working 100% on my system!

I'll try a quick guide:

Formated a HD with 2 partition: 1-SnowLeo and 2-Install

I installed Chameleon 2 choosing the h EFI partition option from installer(u have to take it from the net, but I suppose u already have it) on the hd, replaced the boot file with the one from EFI 10. This is a standard procedure, I think there are lots of tutorials on how to do it. You have to know a little Terminal commands and to be careful on the disk number on which you are installing.

Mounted EFI partition

Put the following kexts in Extra/Extensions on the EFI partition: NullCPUPowerManagement.kext;fakeSMC.kext and OpenHaltRestart.kext. It seems I don't need others. I used DSDTPatcherGUI_1.0 for create dsdt.aml and put the dsdt.aml in Extra folder.(I'm not entirely sure this is needed). I used kextUtility to create mkext (dragged the Extension folder onto kextUtility icon).

I unmounted the EFI partition (again standard Terminal commands)

Now I booted the HD and on the Chameleon bootLoader I choose Install partition.

Install the OS X on the SnowLeo partition and restart.

After this I installed voodooHDA.kext(64bit) for sound and added EFI string in the com.apple.Boot.plist(the original one, the one in the Library/Prefences/System Configuration)

That was all

I will try to upload the files i used.

VoodooHDA.kext.zip

fakesmc.kext.zip

NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.zip

OpenHaltRestart.kext.zip

SleepEnabler.kext.zip

DSDTPatcherGUI_1.0.zip

KextUtility.v2.3.2.dmg

Revised___Improved_SL_install_Notes.rtf

Thanks Tommy and bigpoppa206 for your last comments.

These are the kind of words I need to really understand some things. Because I am totally lost sometimes with thoughts like "is it necessary to do this? can it really make a difference? what does it change? can it be the cause of my KPs? or maybe it's just an improvement to make the computer go faster? (which I don't need right now) maybe it's better to get a file from other user, which I know is working, instead of making it and introducing more probabilities of errors" Etc, etc, etc.

Luck, will tell news later.

Rodrigo

>> Still having those unanswered questions in post #12, which I think are like these kinds of big doubts I mentioned here. ;) Thx again.

Rodrigo,

Do us a favor, only re-phrase the question that you haven't got answer again so we can help you. your #12 is quite long.

here is my brief BIOS settings:

Main Menu

IDE Configuration:

- Configure SATA As = AHCI

- Onboard IDE Operate Mode = Enhanced Mode

- ALPE and ASP = Enabled

- IDE Detect Time Out = 10

Advanced Menu

JumperFree Configuration:

- AI Overclocking = Manual

- CPU Frequency = 333 (you need to calculate what yours depending on CPU)

- DRAM Frequency = 667 (i set this to match my normal RAM operation speed)

CPU Configuration:

I don't think you need to change anything in here after you set your settings in JumperFree

Onboard Devices Configuration:

- JMicron SATA/PATA Controller = Disabled

Power Menu

- ACPI 2.0 Support = Yes

All other settings for optional for me, so try with your setup to see which suite you better.

Tommy

so for what it's worth, I followed what The Raton did, pretty much to a T. I used all his files, made my dsdt with the GUI patcher rather than the windows one, even put Cham on the EFI partition. (I also didn't do _anything_ with the boot.plist or SMBIOS since he didn't say anything about them, but maybe that was implied?) I didn't end up adding any EFI strings cause I got the same exact error as before (and this was a completely fresh partitioning, and 10.6 install) so I couldn't even get to single user mode. I have one more process that seems promising, so I'll give that a shot, but I'm starting to wonder if this is some specific hardware issue (like how 10.5 would hiccup with 4gb of ram sometimes, or maybe because I'm installing to a disk1 rather than disk0? Seems silly, but can't think of anything else)

so for what it's worth, I followed what The Raton did, pretty much to a T. I used all his files, made my dsdt with the GUI patcher rather than the windows one, even put Cham on the EFI partition. (I also didn't do _anything_ with the boot.plist or SMBIOS since he didn't say anything about them, but maybe that was implied?) I didn't end up adding any EFI strings cause I got the same exact error as before (and this was a completely fresh partitioning, and 10.6 install) so I couldn't even get to single user mode. I have one more process that seems promising, so I'll give that a shot, but I'm starting to wonder if this is some specific hardware issue (like how 10.5 would hiccup with 4gb of ram sometimes, or maybe because I'm installing to a disk1 rather than disk0? Seems silly, but can't think of anything else)

Farski, what hardware do you have? it would help if you list them in your sig.

I never have problem with any amount of RAM on my setup in Leo nor Snow Leo (I had used 4, upgraded to 6 and then 8).

Thanks,

Tommy

Rodrigo, have you resolved the issue you were having when you took the first screen shots? I've gotten a bit farther along in the boot process (thanks Tommy, got the BIOS patch working) and now I'm also getting stuck at this Mac OS version: Not yet set problem. Is there something specific causing that?

Thanks.

> Is it better to use the DMG installer instead of the restored partition? Is there anything that can "modify" the install partition so every time I use the installer, the install it makes is bad?

> Can a failed boot like this render the install useless? Should I reinstall to try -x -v -s? I mean, should I reinstall after every error or KP? Or I can just restart and try another thing, change kexts, etc?

Rodrigo

Thanks.

> Is it better to use the DMG installer instead of the restored partition? Is there anything that can "modify" the install partition so every time I use the installer, the install it makes is bad?

> Can a failed boot like this render the install useless? Should I reinstall to try -x -v -s? I mean, should I reinstall after every error or KP? Or I can just restart and try another thing, change kexts, etc?

Rodrigo

Rodrigo,

using restored partition just gonna create another step for you and it does not benefit anything to my opinion.

You can start with 2 partitions, one for Chameleon + PC_EFI and another for Snow Leo, for example:

disk0

disk0s1 EFI (you can leave it alone for now)

disk0s2 Chameleon (this is where you install Chameleon RC1 + PC_EFI 10.1 + all your Extra)

disk0s3 Snow (this will be your vanilla SL install from the retail DVD, you know the usual to open Terminal and type (no quote) "open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg "

You can now do all your kexting without worry about dirty your SL installation.

A failed boot or KP would not affect your installation, you can try boot with -v -x32 -x -v and try move or resolve the error from there.

Tommy

Do I put the DSDT.aml in Chameleon's hiden partition or in SL's root?

DSDT.aml need to put in where you install Chameleon, i put mine in /Extra in my EFI partition.

Yours could be different.

In my case where i moved Chameleon to disk0s1, i mounted it to /Volumes/EFI and put DSDT.aml in /Volumes/EFI/Extra/ . put in /Volumes/EFI/ should give you the same result.

Tommy

Hm.. Since I read The Raton's guide, I started using the hidden EFI partition.

Can this be a problem? Or is it a matter of ease?

I installed Chameleon, with hidden EFI, without kexts. Replaced the boot file (from this guide, I suppose it's the same boot file everywhere).

Then copied AppleRTC (from teknojunkie), fakesmc (from netkas), PlatformUUID (from same guide as boot file) to /Extras/Extensions, and smbios.plist (from same as boot file) to /Extras

Dragged the Extensions folder to Kext Utility, copied my own dsdt.aml (done with post #18 instructions, thanks Tommy).

Tommy: In post 40 you say:

A failed boot or KP would not affect your installation, you can try boot with -v -x32 -x -v and try move or resolve the error from there.

Did you mean -x -v -s -x32? (Does the order of the boot flags matter?)

Booted with -x -s -v -x32 and it gave the KP I attached.

Previous tests advanced a bit further in the boot process. This can be caused by using Chameleon in a separated partition (I had been installing it to the system's partition), or by my new dsdt.aml

Do you think I should upgrade BIOS to last version? I know that will make Leopard stop working, what should I do to fix that?

Thank you all for your support,

Rodrigo

post-171324-1251576472_thumb.jpg

Hm.. Since I read The Raton's guide, I started using the hidden EFI partition.

Can this be a problem? Or is it a matter of ease?

I installed Chameleon, with hidden EFI, without kexts. Replaced the boot file (from this guide, I suppose it's the same boot file everywhere).

Then copied AppleRTC (from teknojunkie), fakesmc (from netkas), PlatformUUID (from same guide as boot file) to /Extras/Extensions, and smbios.plist (from same as boot file) to /Extras

Dragged the Extensions folder to Kext Utility, copied my own dsdt.aml (done with post #18 instructions, thanks Tommy).

Tommy: In post 40 you say:

Did you mean -x -v -s -x32? (Does the order of the boot flags matter?)

Booted with -x -s -v -x32 and it gave the KP I attached.

Previous tests advanced a bit further in the boot process. This can be caused by using Chameleon in a separated partition (I had been installing it to the system's partition), or by my new dsdt.aml

Do you think I should upgrade BIOS to last version? I know that will make Leopard stop working, what should I do to fix that?

Thank you all for your support,

Rodrigo

Rogrigo,

I think this will cover both of your questions here.

You are not booting to 32 bit kernel, pay attention to kernel information, it say RELEASE_X86_64 or RELEASE_I386.

So this mean that you are not booting with PC_EFI 10.1, more likely you Chameleon's boot is the one that loaded, that's why it does not recognize -x32 kernel flag.

I would suggest you started fresh with my recommendation on my post #40.

Assuming you have Leo on disk0 and you are going to use disk1 for your SL.

Repartition your disk1 with at least the following:

500MB = Chameleon

rest of space = SnowLeopard

- install Chameleon RC1 to /Volumes/Chameleon (do not select the EFI one)

- copy boot file of PC_EFI 10.1 to /Volumes/Chameleon (replace if needed)

- put your dsdt file, com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist in /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/

- put all your needed kexts in /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extentions

- run these commands:

# chown -R 0:0 /Volumes/Chameleon

# chmod -R 755 /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extentions

# touch /Volumes/Chameleon/.fseventsd/no_log

- insert your SL DVD

- run this command

# open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ DVD/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg

- select SnowLeopard as your destination and choose your packages and Continue

- once completed (do not reboot yet), run this commands all in one line:

# kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extentions.mkext /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/Extentions/ /Volumes/SnowLeopard/System/Library/Extentions/

- dont worry about the error, maybe it wouldn't heard to run this one as well (all commands in one line)

# kextcache -v 1 -t -m /Volumes/SnowLeopard/System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extentions.mkext /Volumes/SnowLeopard/System/Library/Extentions/

- get your EFI string (if needed) and update your /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist

- adjust your /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/smbios.plist if needed

- I think it is safe to reboot now

- when prompt at the bootloader, highlight your SnowLeopard partition and type -v -x32

- since we already cache all the kexts previously, i believe it is safe to boot without -x -s

- if in doubt, boot with -v -x32 -s, once at the command prompt, type the following commands:

# mount -uw /

# kextcache -v -l -t -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extentions.mkext /Volumes/SnowLeopard/System/Library/Extentions/

- just ignore the errors and reboot

- you should still boot with -v -x32 to see what's going on and to make sure you load 32 bit kernel (i got too many KP with 64 bit kernel to bother with)

- at this point you should be prompt with the welcome video and be on your way to fully boot to desktop

This guide above is abit off my actual method, but i believe it is far better than what i did.

Please report back any success or failure.

Tommy

Tommy,

You say "put your dsdt file, com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist in /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/". I know I have to use my own dsdt.aml file, but do I also have to modify the com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist?

I know I have to check that the UUIDs match between PlatformUUID.kext and smbios.plist... anything else?

Thanks,

Rodrigo

>> They are "extensions", not "extentions", right?

Alright Tommy, you're getting close to being my hero, but not there yet. I started fresh and just ran through your last post/process and I'm not getting the error any more during boot. It's not actually booting, but I figure something is better than nothing. Here's where it stops:

any ideas?

post-337016-1251584062_thumb.jpg

Alright Tommy, you're getting close to being my hero, but not there yet. I started fresh and just ran through your last post/process and I'm not getting the error any more during boot. It's not actually booting, but I figure something is better than nothing. Here's where it stops:

any ideas?

Are you using a P5K Pro or a P5W DH Deluxe?

Rodrigo

Tommy,

You say "put your dsdt file, com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist in /Volumes/Chameleon/Extra/". I know I have to use my own dsdt.aml file, but do I also have to modify the com.apple.Boot.plist and smbios.plist?

I know I have to check that the UUIDs match between PlatformUUID.kext and smbios.plist... anything else?

Thanks,

Rodrigo

>> They are "extensions", not "extentions", right?

Forgot to ask... Where do I get "my" UUID? I was using files that came with an UUID. Does it change for every computer?

Thanks, :)

Rodrigo