{GUIDE} Install for GA-G31M-ES2L, and others

HBP

56 posts in this topic

I've a disk now witch leopard + XP with the chameleon bootloader

For snow leopard I've inserted a second hard disk, can i follow this tutorial and everything turns out oke? (i mean i can chose on start up if i want to boot leopard, snow leopard or xp?

Thanks for the tutorial :)

yes, if you follow this Guide you will have a boot that can boot all 3 of your OS's from the new disk.

during the beginning (install part) using the DEBUG boot file you will not be able to boot except from your Snow leopard disk. but after completing and replacing the DEBUG with normal operating one then you can boor from anywhere.

Good luck and have fun.

I did follow your guide step by step and I did use the DEBUG boot file but I can't install the way you described it because I get a kernel panic at the beginning of the install process everytime I tried so I installed from within leopard but it freezes for 5 minutes and then I can use it (without sound and wifi). I just want to get it running perfectly, and I know I'm the only one having this issue with this mobo. I'm just wondering why.

Please post more Detail about the KP, if you use the DEBUG boot file it will tell you what kexts are causing the KP, unless you are using a non core 2 chip (so you need a modded Kernel) by installing using a second disk it keeps everything separate and so if something goes wrong you can recover without loss.

also specs on your system may help me trouble shoot better.

let me know.

HBP112358

Please help me out guys,

When I try to instal Snow the normal way after a couple of minutes i get a kernel panic.

When I instal snow within leopard leopard it just reboots after a couple of minutes (installer says that it will go on after reboot but it doesn't, i've booted from from leopard partition and from the "mac osx install dvd" partition, both of them didn't go with the installation further)

My mobo:

GA-G31M-ES2L rev 1.1 bios: F9c

I've tried installing with the DSDT file from above and with my own one, didn't change much in kernel panics...

My question is: what might have caused these kernel panics, something I did wrong?, some files that are broken or incompatible with my mobo?

Has anyone here been successful with an upgrade install? I have a currently working OS X 10.5.8 vanilla install and would like to install Snow Leopard overtop of my current installation. All the guides I've seen have been primarily focused on creating a new partition for SL.

Would it be possible to just use the upgrade option in SL from within Leopard (like you might do on an actual Mac), allow it to install overtop of Leopard, and then reinstall the bootloader? Wouldn't all of the kexts I have installed be preserved and continue to work? or will I need all new kexts, etc? Full system specs are in my sig. Thanks.

I will assume you have 10.5 installed on Drive {1} and that you intend to install SL on drive {2}

open diskutil and format disk {2} with GPT filesystem

select disk {2} click on partition

click on drop down box and select 2 partitions

select options and select GUID partition map

click on partition 2 and set it's size to 7.5GB

click apply and wait for it to complete.

now select partition 2 from disk {2} and click Restore

select your SL DVD (or SL DMG) and drag it to the source box

drag your disk {2} partition 2 to the destination box and hit apply

at this point you should have an empty partition that is going to house your OS, and be setting up another for ANY needs for restoring and updates.

*** Drive {2} Partition 2 will now = "Mac OSX Install DVD"

Copy Chameleon RC1 installer onto "Mac OS X Install DVD" partition

copy Both boot files to a folder on "Mac OSX Install DVD" partition

install chameleon RC1 on "Mac OSX Install DVD" ( you can not use RC2 with netkas bootloader so be sure to install RC1 )

overwrite the boot file in "Mac OSX Install DVD" with the Debug boot file (needed to get it to install, installer crashed on me in 64 bit mode but installed great in 32 bit mode)

copy kexts to "Mac OSX Install DVD"/System/Library/Extensions

copy dsdt.aml to "Mac OSX Install DVD" Main directory

reboot using drive {2} as boot device (or disconnect your 10.5 drive(for safety))

Hello everyone,

I am getting an immediate kernel panic just after booting the SL DVD "partition". My objective is to beable to boot from the SL DVD "partition" to the installer screen and install onto a different partition.

I've followed the steps up to the end of the quote. I've used all the kexts recommended in his guide including the debug boot file and installing the Chameleon 2 RC1 boot loader.

The kernel panic is immediate and does not show the kext that it panics on. I've seen many other people encounter this in installing SL.

Any help is appreciated.

My specs are:

GA-G31M-ES2L rev 1.1

Nvidia 7500 LE 512 MB

Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6300 2.8GhZ

I followed this guide on building my Snow Leopard hackintosh: http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

Everything is working great except audio, for the life of me I can't figure out how to get it to work. Anyone have any suggestions? :)

use HDEF patch and 2 legacy kext ( LegacyAppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver and LegacyHDAPlatformDriver)

after copying the kext be sure to remove the cache (rm -r /System/Library/Caches) and recreate your extensions.mkext using terminal or kext utility then reboot.

click here

@ takumikun999, try using a few kext and see if that works for you (e.g fakesmc and openhalt)

@ takumikun999, try using a few kext and see if that works for you (e.g fakesmc and openhalt)

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/guide-retai...for-g31m-t3672/

Hello Sk1nhd33t,

Your guide was much easier to follow. I used your guide with a HDD partition instead of a USB bootable.

I believe I used the fakesmc, open halt etc when i put the Extensions[uSB] into the root of my SL DVD HDD partition. I also renamed it.

I also editted the plist and put in the EFI for my card and graphics mode for my monitor. And I put in my compiled DSDT.aml and smbios in the root of the drive.

I had some success.

I was able to boot into a grey screen using these boot options: -v -x32 as it said in your guide. But it just idles at the grey screen. There is some HDD activity. I played a game of Dota and it was still at the grey screen.

I wonder if it has to do with my DSDT.

My specs are:

GA-G31M-ES2L rev 1.1

Nvidia 7500 LE 512 MB

Intel Pentium Dual-Core E6300 2.8GhZ

Sata HDDs and DVD-Drive

Oh since I had a Pentium D, i used a kernel that does not check the CPU Type.

I've had great success following this link provided by sk1nhd33t a few posts above. http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

I used a HDD instead of a usb drive. And I followed word for word, especially the Bios settings.

I was able to successfully boot the SL DVD partition and it is installing as I speak.

I will keep in touch.

I've had great success following this link provided by sk1nhd33t a few posts above. http://lifehacker.com/5351485/how-to-build...start-to-finish

I used a HDD instead of a usb drive. And I followed word for word, especially the Bios settings.

I was able to successfully boot the SL DVD partition and it is installing as I speak.

I will keep in touch.

Let me know how your audio goes. I'm gonna try sk1nhd33t's suggestions as I used the same guide your using now and I'd like to see if you get it working. I'm too tired to get into it now though.

Let me know how your audio goes. I'm gonna try sk1nhd33t's suggestions as I used the same guide your using now and I'd like to see if you get it working. I'm too tired to get into it now though.

Hey andymodem,

I got it to work by following the lifehacker guide up to installing SL onto a partition. Then I used sk1nd33t's kexts since his board was the same mine.

After i successfully booted into SL, all my partitions do not show on the desktop yet they are still visible in any Finder window's sidebar.

I have yet to test audio. Ill try it soon.

Edit: Audio is indeed working.

But my HDD mounts are still not showing as you can see to the far right of this image:

http://yfrog.com/ekscreenshot20090905at110p

Hilarious:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3746

Shows how to see your HDDS on desktop.

use HDEF patch and 2 legacy kext ( LegacyAppleHDAHardwareConfigDriver and LegacyHDAPlatformDriver)

after copying the kext be sure to remove the cache (rm -r /System/Library/Caches) and recreate your extensions.mkext using terminal or kext utility then reboot.

click here

I've added the kext but it is still not working, wat did you mean with "HDEF patch"?, its only 8 hits @google....

click here

Thank you! I have sound working now!

I've added the kext but it is still not working, wat did you mean with "HDEF patch"?, its only 8 hits @google....

Here is how I did it to get mine working:

I downloaded the utility iaslMe, located here: http://www.mediafire.com/?jchmtymqlmd

The I dragged my DSDT.aml file on the icon, which will spit out DSDT.dsl which you can then edit in TextEdit.

I then did a search in TextEdit for the phrase: Device (HDEF). Once it brought me there, I replaced from that line down to "}" right before the next section beginning with Name, with the text from here under the DSDT heading: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=143697

Save the file and drag it back onto the iaslMe icon and it will compile it into a DSDT.aml file that you can then replace your old one with.

After that I rebooted and when it came back up, voila, I had sound. :)

"Device (HDEF)"

Isn't anywere in my dsdt.aml/dsl file..

When i add it to the place were i think it belongs it gave me 1 error and two warnings...

But i''ll see in wat place it is in other people's dsdt files.

edit;

read something about changing AZAL to HDEF..

edit2:

Azal changed to HDEF + copied "Method (DTGP, 5, NotSerialized)" part from someones dsdt to my dsdt, will reboot now to see if it helped

edit3:

It worked perfectly :(

Dudes, I have a BIG problem.

My MoBo is a Foxconn G31MV-K with Intel G31 NB and ICH7 SB. This MoBo has 1 IDE port (2 drives, duh) and 2 SATA ports for 4 Drives max.

My Setup is the following:

80GB HD (MacOS) and my DVD burner on the IDE port; and a 320GB SATA HD for my Windows 7 partition and data.

So far I get KP with IOATAFamily kext. I've tried the Netkas one on S/L/E or on Extra/Extensions but I get KP anyway.

I even tried the one from my Leopard instalation (I have an external 30GB HD with 10.5.7) and I get KP too.

The only way that I can boot is to disabling the SATA ports on BIOS. That way the system boots with the vanilla Kext but my data is on the SATA drive.

It's weird because people here can't get their IDE drives detected, but I can't get my SATA drive detected.

What's that more strange is that on System profiler, it says that I have the 64bit kernel loaded, but I have set up the -x32 and -arch=i386 flags on the bootloader .plist file (EFI partition/Extra/com.apple.Boot.plist). Do I have to set those flags on /S/L/System Configuration too????

I anyone could give me a hint to get my full setup working, I'll appreciate that.

Another question: Where do I have to install the IOATA kext if there is a good one, on the bootloader or the installation itself???

EDIT:

I got it working!!!

The problem was that SL was booting with a 64bit Kernel and my Leopard IOATA ketxt wasn't loading. I had the flags on the bootloader plist file and the OS booted with 64bit though. I had to set the flags on /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguratio/com.apple.Boot.plist and now it boots on 32bit with the Leopard's IOATA kext working fine.

I've also found that my mobo can boot on 64 bit (with ALL vanilla kexts) if (and only if) I set the SATA mode to "Compatibility" on the BIOS, but it disables the SATA ports leaving me with only the IDE port and therefore I can only use 2 drives.

I hope this helps for people that has similar problems.

Cheers!

I'm a noob about some things related to Apple.

What's Bonjour??? It isn't the protocol for communication??? I thought it was working on leopard log time ago. What can I do with it? How do I check if it's working???

Any news about the 64bit IOATAFamily kext???

Cheers!

Bump!

Without knowing how your board Differs in the implementation of ICH7 I can not assist you with the KP.

and bonjour is Apple protocol to announce your mac to others near you, it works with some networks cards, and not with others, this Board's NIC (RTL8168) is flaky when it comes to support, using a RTL8169 has bonjour support, a RTL8168 sometimes doesn't work.

Hope this Helps.

HBP112358

Without knowing how your board Differs in the implementation of ICH7 I can not assist you with the KP.

and bonjour is Apple protocol to announce your mac to others near you, it works with some networks cards, and not with others, this Board's NIC (RTL8168) is flaky when it comes to support, using a RTL8169 has bonjour support, a RTL8168 sometimes doesn't work.

Hope this Helps.

HBP112358

I've finally solved the KP with IOATA. I used the one of 10.5.7. But, how do I check if bonjour is working???

My NIC is RTL8168B/8111B gigabit.

Cheers!

http://www.infinitemac.com/f57/solved-snow...3827/page2.html

Hi daverolo77,

Your GTX 260 seems to be compatible.

Follow the instructions in the link above.

keep overview:

Download zipfile

use gpuutil on the gtx260 document via commandline

copy the outputted hex.out into your com.apple.Boot.plist

Possible EASY WAY:

A newer version of EFIStudio may already have the efi strings. Just use it to add it in it's gui glory.

• 3 weeks later...