DSDT - Vanilla Speedstep - Generic Scope (_PR)

FKA

1,949 posts in this topic

Are you also using VoodooMonitor, like mm67? I wonder where I can download it...

yes voodoomonitor,

ps: i don't remember the author and i don't have the sources

ps 2: note that all AGPM has also disappeared

yes voodoomonitor,

Thanks!

And let me first check VoodooMonitor before attacking AGPM again.

p.s. The hardware is still ok as both ioreg and IORegistryExplorer as well as MSR Tools show more than one core!

Update: Hehe. Finally. CPU-i sucks. Long live VoodooMonitor – which is also a lot more responsive. I should have changed ages ago. Thanks again!

p.s. I still can't use DSDT V3.2 (my latest unreleased version) so I have work to do and thus: "Ladies and gentleman. I salute you!".

Later!

Hey guys great thread it has really helped a me create my own DSDT and I am very thankful that there are such accomplished individuals that are willing to openly share their knowledge and expertise with others. I guess this question is mostly at Beerkex'd since he has the same mobo as me.

My question is since I am using my own DSDT (attached) do I still need all of these kexts in my /Extra/Extensions folder or are there some that I can remove?

AHCIPortInjector.kext

fakesmc.kext

IOAHCIBlockInjector.kext

IONetworkingFamily.kext

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

skge.kext

[e7200_dsdt_r2.dsl.zip]

e7200_dsdt_r2.dsl.zip

do I still need all of these kexts in my /Extra/Extensions folder or are there some that I can remove?

IONetworkingFamily.kext

Delete and replace it with this:

LegacyAppleYukon2.kext.zip

Add a HDEF device to your DSDT, revert to all vanilla audio kexts and use this for sound (thanks to THe KiNG):

AD2000b.kext.zip

I really like the new organization of ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin, much simple and clear. I guess they had to organize it better with so many models.

Me too. Much cleaner this way.

Add a HDEF device to your DSDT, revert to all vanilla audio kexts and use this for sound (thanks to THe KiNG):

AD2000b.kext.zip

What about removing both AHCIPortInjector.kext and IOAHCIBlockInjector.kext after the usual SATA device-id change? Either that or by using one kext less, by using the patched AHCIPortInjector.kext floating around in this forum.

See also: "Modified AHCIPortInjector.kext - No More Orange HDs!, - No More Legacy IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext!" here.

AD2000b.kext.zip

Thanx Beerkex'd I really appreciate the help, the Yukon kext worked great. I will have to do some research on adding an HDEF device to my DSDT. I assume I could just copy yours but I would rather learn how to do it myself. I take it that it doesn't just show up in the normal ACPI-Tables that I got from acpidump in Ubuntu?

I really like the new organization of ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin, much simple and clear. I guess they had to organize it better with so many models.

Yeah nice organization, except that now you can't make dummy.kext with that, so bye bye "legacy.kext" for ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin, the hacks will go only on /S/L/E.

If they do the same with other kexts that we hack "on the fly" like AppleHDA we can say goodbye to "vanilla" dream... :)

P.S. B/c of this {censored} I have to use now MacBookPro5,1 as model to get speedstep working on my lappie(b/c of CPUPLimit) and I lose also GFX power management... :)

Need to find a way to set CPUPLimit to 0 with FakeSMC help like is on real MacBookPro4,1...

yes voodoomonitor,

Mojodojo is the author of both CPU-i and VoodooMonitor.

I'm still getting _cst errors (even after update 10.6.2 which went fine).

• My MacModel is set to MacPro3,1
  • I'm using netkas PC EFI 10.5
  • C1E and EIST are enabled in BIOS.

I also tried with DropSSDT=yes and DropSSDT=no (on same dsdt variantion), without any luck.

I'm using the following kexts in Extra:

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext (otherwise always orange hd icons without it)

ALC889A.kext

fakesmc.kext (v2)

OpenHaltRestart.kext

PlatformUUID.kext

In attachment you'll find the current version of the dsdt I'm using.

MSR Tools says Speedstep: on TM1: on TM2: on for CPU 0 and 1, but frequency doesn't change. I saw it drop when I enabled C.I.A.2, but it gave me boot problems later on from cold boot, so I disabled it again, probably due to some other wrong other settings in BIOS.

Temps are quite low though, 32° and 34° for respectively CPU0 and CPU1.

dsdt.dsl.zip

Yeah nice organization, except that now you can't make dummy.kext with that, so bye bye "legacy.kext" for ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin, the hacks will go only on /S/L/E.

If they do the same with other kexts that we hack "on the fly" like AppleHDA we can say goodbye to "vanilla" dream... ;)

No problem here. Still using my LegacyACPI_SMC_PP.kext

Weird didn't worked on my lappie...curious how is working for you since config data is moved on resources...

No need for /Resources/modelname.plist when you attach the config data like I do, which is still the old way of doing things. Just look at my legacy kext and fiddle with it – probably needs a little work for your rig.

Just noticed that with 10.6.2 my system is using also 6.5 and 7.5 multipliers while stepping. Earlier I could only see 6.0, 7.0, 8.0 and 8.5 being used. Anyone else see such behaviour ?

Hi mm67

after i changed my cpu from 65n to 45n, my method for speedtstep/sleep didn't work anymore

but with your method that you gave earlier, speedstep and sleep are working again

thnx

T.

Hi all -

I haven't done anything special to my DSDT other than the basic merge and compile of the DSDT and SSDT tables and yet VoodooMonitor shows all of my P-states and the status fluctuates as though speedstep is working. Is this just a false readout from VoodooMonitor cuz I know from reading that it isn't this easy to get it working. I have uploaded screen shots of my VoodooMonitor.

[Voodoomonitor.tiff]

[VD_status.tiff]

VD_status.tiff

Voodoomonitor.tiff

I will have to do some research on adding an HDEF device to my DSDT. I assume I could just copy yours but I would rather learn how to do it myself.

The HDEF device in my DSDT is (as far as I know, someone please correct me if I'm wrong) not specific to the AD2000B, it's a generic replacement for HDAEnabler.kext.

Read this thread for more information:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=465

The HDEF device in my DSDT is (as far as I know, someone please correct me if I'm wrong) not specific to the AD2000B, it's a generic replacement for HDAEnabler.kext.

Read this thread for more information:

http://www.projectosx.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=465

Thanx Beerkex'd looks like an interesting read I will have a go at it when I get some free time. It's funny u mention HDAEnabler.kext cuz I have been adding and removing so many kexts that I lose track of what I need and don't need. If I am using the AD2000B that you suggest can I delete the HDAEnabler and HDEFEnabler kexts?

Edit- NM, you don't have to answer that it looks like I can find the answer in the link you provided. Thanks again.

Hi all -

I haven't done anything special to my DSDT other than the basic merge and compile of the DSDT and SSDT tables and yet VoodooMonitor shows all of my P-states and the status fluctuates as though speedstep is working. Is this just a false readout from VoodooMonitor cuz I know from reading that it isn't this easy to get it working. I have uploaded screen shots of my VoodooMonitor.

[Voodoomonitor.tiff]

[VD_status.tiff]

Are you using the default intelcpupowermanagement.kext? And in which way have you compile the DSDT with SSDT tables, Iwould say: how did you enter the SSDT tables in DSDT? Sorry for my english..

Thanks

Are you using the default intelcpupowermanagement.kext? And in which way have you compile the DSDT with SSDT tables, Iwould say: how did you enter the SSDT tables in DSDT? Sorry for my english..

Thanks

Yes I'm using AppleIntelCPU...the output from dmesg

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete

I followed this guide to get my ACPI dumps from Ubuntu and ofcourse there is some give and take

since I don't have a Dell.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190780

That gave me the following ACPI Tables (see attachment)

ACPI_tables.tiff

Of those I used the DSDT and SSDT tables and according to that guide after you decompile (iasl -d) you just add the SSDT tables to the bottom of the DSDT tables.

Now I am a complete noob at this so I would take what I have done with a grain of salt but it does seem to be working for me. Any thanks should go to the folks on this forum that really know what they are doing.

I am attaching my DSDT for you to look at. HTH.

Edit: updated DSDT

DSDT.dsl.zip

Just noticed that with 10.6.2 my system is using also 6.5 and 7.5 multipliers while stepping. Earlier I could only see 6.0, 7.0, 8.0 and 8.5 being used. Anyone else see such behaviour ?

Perhaps it would be fine if one of you dsdt /SMC heros begin a new thread like "10.6.2 SMC Powermangegent modding + SMC legancy .kext".

Because that SMC .plist modding (and / or by legacy SMC.kext) is an new thing and often out of focus (what is bad).

For me i can see only switching between slowest + higest MhZ, but i have 7 Pstates (with 0.5 steppings).

If i use voodoo based kext i get all 7 Pstates (dsdt pss, using APCI, not voodoo buildin guessing), but with AppleIntelCPU only 2.

Has anyone an iMac Modell (modded smc .plist too) used or does most here use MacPro3,1 with not modded smc .plist?

I avoided until now to use MacPro3,1 because its complete different CPU (XEON) vs my C2D = fear of sideeffects i dont want.

MY GOAL:

Using AppleIntelCPU with all PStates (0.5 to) , CStates not wanted / doesnt matter for me.

Perhaps it would be fine if one of you dsdt /SMC heros begin a new thread like "10.6.2 SMC Powermangegent modding + SMC legancy .kext".

Because that SMC .plist modding (and / or by legacy SMC.kext) is an new thing and often out of focus (what is bad).

For me i can see only switching between slowest + higest MhZ, but i have 7 Pstates (with 0.5 steppings).

If i use voodoo based kext i get all 7 Pstates (dsdt pss, using APCI, not voodoo buildin guessing), but with AppleIntelCPU only 2.

Has anyone an iMac Modell (modded smc .plist too) used or does most here use MacPro3,1 with not modded smc .plist?

I avoided until now to use MacPro3,1 because its complete different CPU (XEON) vs my C2D = fear of sideeffects i dont want.

MY GOAL:

Using AppleIntelCPU with all PStates (0.5 to) , CStates not wanted / doesnt matter for me.

I am not using those legacy kexts.

/edit

Just checked, if I use Imac9,1 or 10,1 as model then I also get only 2 steps and voltage seems to be at max setting all the time.

Yes I'm using AppleIntelCPU...the output from dmesg

AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement: initialization complete

I followed this guide to get my ACPI dumps from Ubuntu and ofcourse there is some give and take

since I don't have a Dell.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=190780

That gave me the following ACPI Tables (see attachment)

ACPI_tables.tiff

Of those I used the DSDT and SSDT tables and according to that guide after you decompile (iasl -d) you just add the SSDT tables to the bottom of the DSDT tables.

Now I am a complete noob at this so I would take what I have done with a grain of salt but it does seem to be working for me. Any thanks should go to the folks on this forum that really know what they are doing.

I am attaching my DSDT for you to look at. HTH.

Thanks