32 / 64 bit

curlyboy

6 posts in this topic

Some info on 64 bit and 32 bit

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=4712

That's an interesting read... I have a question though: It's pretty apparent that current Leopard kexts wont work with 64-bit Snow Leopard, but what about on 32-bit SL? I have only 2GB of RAM and not all of my controllers are fully 64-bit compliant so I'm probably going to go with 32-bit, but I just want to check if existing Leopard kexts will work in 32-bit SL.

Thanks.

Running benchmarks it looks like 64bit is slower in almost every way just slightly. My guess is apple chose 32bit as default for speed related reasons since the 32 bit kernel can use more than 4GB of ram fine and has really no limitations. the only difference is the 64bit kernel can access more registers but has a larger stack size. Since the kernel doesn't need the extra registers (the speed increase part) and will be forced to use a larger stack size (slow down) it would be better to keep the 32bit version as default.

Unless people have a bucket load off memory i dont see the point in the average user worrying about 64 bit tbh , Same as it is in windows if you dont have a lot off memory 64 bit doesnt matter

Alright, so If I install 32-bit Snow Leopard from a tutorial here then install the kexts from an iDeneb of iAtkos CD, I should be good to go with a fully functioning copy of SL?