What method works best for ALC888 sound....?

kitmac

89 posts in this topic

Is there any way to get audio without all this dsdt editing junk? DSDT makes me feel like we've gone back to the early days of tiger where everything had to be hand-modded to work...

I feel you on this one ;) Thats soooo 2005 ...

I have the Asus P5Q PRO with ALC888. I had it fully working in Leo but in SL, this is all I get after trying out several diff. AppleHDA kext. It list the correct pinouts but no sound. What do I need from this point on?

The only way to have any sound at all is to use VooDoo.kext but that only gives me lineout and no system Profile readout.

Can anyone help?

sound.tiff

• 3 weeks later...
For the EP45-DS3L I swear by DSDT (Koalala's ACPI Patcher - Selecting Realtek ALC888-0, and checking HDEF box) then adding one of these attached LegacyHDA's, from tmongkol's thread, in to /E/E. Easy as that :pirate2:

This was the method that eventually got me sound. I installed SL as vanilla as I could on a new drive. The DSDT.aml I originally built was fine, but I had the wrong LegacyHDA in my /E/E. The first step that I did to try to get sound working was what I used to do in Leopard when sound stopped working after a system update: re-apply the Tauruga patch. Not only didn't it work, I think it also borked my vanilla AppleHDA so that every other method in this thread couldn't work either. I spent days building and rebuilding my DSDT.aml (hint: from what I can tell, if your audio hardware is showing up in System Profiler but no input or output devices are showing up in Audio MIDI Setup, your DSDT.aml is fine and it's a kext problem), trying VoodooHDA and all the other legacy kexts in this thread and nothing worked.

I finally thought screw it and completely re-installed SL. The first thing I did was to try another LegacyHDA in my /E/E and it worked right off the bat. So the moral of the story is not to use the Tauruga patch in SL and nuke your install if you still can't solve your problem.

• 2 weeks later...

hi there,

i patched my own dsdt without errors and installed applehda.kext and applehdaenabler.kext

the digital output doesn´t work :-(

when i boot verbose there are messages like:

could not load com.apple.driver.applehda i captured a pic:

4032368836_b73b57ca84_b.jpg

whats my problem?

I dont know will works for you...

Here is my edited applehda snow leopard x64 for alc888

works best to me in Gigabyte P31-ds3l

AppleHDA.kext.zip

This one worked great for me! I have a Foxcon FlamingBlade X58 ALC888. Installed this and saw it picked up in system profiler. I was not getting any sound at first tho. I almost gave up on it but then repaired permissions and wala it works.

Great job and thnx for posting this jinnggoff!

-paz

• 3 weeks later...

Guys, let's say that i have a working DSDT (for both 32- and 64-bit Snow 10.6.2 with sleep etc.) that had the AZAL header and I would get good stereo sound (even if not displayed as a device in System Profiler).

If I modify the DSDT so instead of AZAL I use HDEF (as per post's #7 code), do I still need the kexts in /E/E folder? Can I not avoid these kexts? What's their purpose if you have a modified DSDT?

I have an embedded ALC888 chip (Shuttle SG31G2V2) and the modified DSDT produces "pin assignment errors" when booting verbosely.... Are the kexts supposed to fix the pins errors? Are the kexts supposed to show an input and output device in System Preferences?

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...