How to: ATI 4850 working on SL

scorcho

197 posts in this topic

But I did some test before and after using OpenGL Extensions Viewer and I have significant faster results. For eg,

Test Before/After

2.0 1331 / 3002

I am using HD4870 card.

Scorcho, what test apps you used?

a 4850 - on using opengl extensions viewer with 4x multisample, benchmark and at 1920x1200 resolution i still hover at 640fps, with a final drop to 130 before it fails on OGL 3.0. In 10.5 the same test hovered near 830fps, till it too dropped to 130, then a fail.

Im not sure if QE/CI is working because apparently SnoLeo doesnt show this info in the usual place. Anyways I used EvoEnabler.kext and an edited ATI4800Controller.kext. Graphics seem to be working fine (played a 1080p Trailer in QT X).

Now i have a problem, Ethernet stopped working, Im on a P5QL-Pro and using the AttansicL1eEthernet.kext. Also im doing the EFI partition method (allways had to break the zero-mod by installing graphics drivers into S/L/E/).

any ideas why its stopped working? anyone have any similar issues?

if I don't have a working system , either leopard or SL.

How do I perform a fresh installation of SL booting retail SL DVD from a chameleon 2 RC3 usb flash drive with essential kext in /E/E ?

Currently, I will get a blank & white screen with stripes and dot same as mentioned by others.

if I don't have a working system , either leopard or SL.

How do I perform a fresh installation of SL booting retail SL DVD from a chameleon 2 RC3 usb flash drive with essential kext in /E/E ?

Currently, I will get a blank & white screen with stripes and dot same as mentioned by others.

If you use "-x" as bootflag your installation should work.

("-x" is a safemode thats loads vesa graphicdrivers)

hi I've tried many ways to make my gigabyte at hd4850 (same model as yours) work but i still have no luck whit it. when i start snow leopard i get white screen and nothing happens.

tell me which motherboard do you have?

my is p5q deluxe whit mod bios 2201 for mac whit silk2.1?

what shell i do to make it work? maybe change it to gigabyte geforce 9600 (model N96TSL1GI)?

please help me!!!!

Hi there :)

I'm working to get the proper graphics settings to I can boot my flash drive with the SL image so that I might be able to actually install SL!

So, I'm runnin a Dell (yea..) e520 with an Asus 4850 Gold OC or whatever. 10.5.8 is rock solid.

Following this guide: Guide Here

I get garbled black & white when I boot the flash drive with the restored SL image.

I've tried including the evoenabler & modified ATI4800.kext (with 442 line added) (taken from a working macbook with SL) in the KEXTs folder of the automated build script (see linked guide) but no workey in 32 or 64.

has anyone had any luck booting the installer flash drive with 10.5.8 kexts and hex business? that seems awful dirty and messy just to get the installer to boot.. but hey what can you do

any help appreciated -

Comment retracted due to stupidity. ;)

booting with -x works just dandy. fml.

I currently have my 4850 working in SL with EVOenabler.kext and an edited ATI4800Controller.kext with one slight quirk.

If i boot, the boot will stop after picking up a device in Slot 1.

However, if i boot in single mode and wait a few seconds for evoenabler to start probing, then type "exit" to exit single mode and continue booting, it will boot and work perfectly.

Having to boot -s, wait a few seconds, and then exit and continue booting is not feasible. Any ideas why this is happening?

whatever i try these methods, my screen turns off after Device in Slot 1. Or in normal boot (no boot commands) the screen goes grey after loading for a while then turns off.

I cannot even boot with -x command, i have to boot into Leopard and replace the ATI4800.Kext to the original to get it to boot up.

Any ideas guys?

Its Sapphire ATi 4850 512Mb

Asus P5Q Deluxe

Q6600

Just a quick thank you to everyone on this thread, after 7 hours and many tantrums my 4850 is rocking along nicely on my Vanilla 10.6.1 system :)

Thanks again......

It turned out my i386 flag in my boot.plist said 1386 instead of i386...... I guess this meant it was booting into 64bit instead of 32bit and that's why the kexts weren't loading?

Anyway, all good now :|

UPDATED Sept. 21 to include improved/easier method through bootloader.

This is what I did to get my reference ATI HD4870x2 and my brothers HD4850 fully working.

Install PC EFI 10.3 from netkas over an existing Chameleon RC3 install.

Then activate the ATI graphics injector with the following in Boot.Plist

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>y</string>

Type this command into the terminal to see if your board uses pciroot=0 or 1, 1 is used by default.

ioreg -l | grep -15 "AppleACPIPCI\ " | grep UID . If pciroot=0 add -pci0 boot option.

Then download either 4890 4870x2 4830 and SL or QE CI Patch for 10.6.1 for radeons depending on whether you have updated Snow Leopard. Install and reboot.

After reboot you should have fully working res change, QE & CI.

I read the complete topic, and I'm confused now, because so many people say this works or that works etc. I'm going to install SL in the weekend. I got an Asus HD4850 1024mb, but could somebody please describe the best method, to get the fully card working with QE/CL (without any problems, KP, blue screens etc.)

Thank you very much.

I read the complete topic, and I'm confused now, because so many people say this works or that works etc. I'm going to install SL in the weekend. I got an Asus HD4850 1024mb, but could somebody please describe the best method, to get the fully card working with QE/CL (without any problems, KP, blue screens etc.)

Thank you very much.

It's because the methods evolved with time...

-If you use one display, the first post's first method is the simpliest. It still needs a few steps, but it's no hardcore hacking at all. It's very vanilla, flexible, gives qe/ci and sleep.

-If you use dual display, no method will be perfect - you will need to use evoenabler + the method mentioned; and sadly this way, you will lose sleep. However, qe/ci, and all other functions are working.

Hey guys, using method 1 (add in Dev ID and string, change PC EFI 10.3), I got my HIS 4850 (2DVI and 1TV-out) working on one DVI but failed on the other (black screen). Any suggestions? Thanks.

And using method 2 (EFO string + ATI4800Controllerkext) I finally (after days of trying) also have my Saphire 512MB 4850 DVIx2 running with QE/QI on one DVI only. A second monitor plugged in to DVI2 (vga via adapter) mirrors display 1 until desktop then 'cuts off'.

I'd love to get both ports working but EVO method results in blank screens and max speed fans for me.

P

What does really mean that you'll have full CI/QE functionality?

Hardware aceleration?

I've a 4850 working fine with Aty_init. The thing is i have a Samsung SyncMaster '23, conected via DVI. Properly detected by Leopard, and a '17 Dell Triniton CRT conected via VGA->DVI adaptor, that only works as a mirror with unproper resolution.

It seams that Leopard doesn't detect my VGA Monitor. The screens preference pane only shows SyncMaster, and no option for arrangement, or extended desktop.

The wierd thing is that if i'm using Aty_motmot along with Aty_init, my VGA monitor simply shuts down as soon as leopard finish its booting. If i'm using only Aty_init it doesn't shuts down but it works as a clone, without any chance of customization.

I aprecciate any help with this.

PD: sorry for my ignorance.