Getting the 4850 to work in SL. While you'll find a couple of methods in this thread involving a litany of old and new kexts, this method is probably the best. Massive thanks to hawgguy for refining this method for the rest of us.
A couple of steps are needed, but the end result will be no new .kexts added to your install, NO dvi2vga adapter.
1. Download gfxutil from here - http://forum.netkas....topic,64.0.html
2. launch gfxutil through terminal with the following argument without quotes '-f display'. copy down your PciRoot information; you'll need this later.
3. save the following plist to your desktop - http://www.rakov.net/HD48x0.plist
4. Replace the PciRoot information in the plist with the one you generated earlier and save the file.
5. from your terminal launch gfxutil with the following argument without quotes '-i xml -o hex AAAA BBBB', where AAAA is the location of the plist you saved, and BBBB is the location of the hex file you just created from the plist.
6. take the contents of the hex file and add it to your current or new com.apple.boot.plist file like so -<key>device-properties</key> <string>HEXCODE</string>if you already have an EFI string in your boot.plist, you will need to decomplie the hex, add it to your plist, and recompile the new hex as a combined efi string. while beyond the scope of this tutorial, you can find out more info by browsing through this thread - http://forum.netkas....topic,64.0.html
7. go to your current S/L/E directory and copy the ATI4800Controller.kext to your desktop.
8. right click on the copy you made and select 'Show Package Contents'
9. open Contents and double-click on Info.plist.
10. scroll down till you find -<string>0x94401002 0x944a1002</string>REPLACE it with the following code and save the file<string>0x94401002 0x944a1002 0x94421002</string>11. download Kext Utility and drag the edited .kext onto the program icon - http://www.insanelym...howtopic=140647
12. once your caches have regenerated reboot and you should have the 4850 working with full QE/CI. Enjoy!
Hi again 4850 fellows!
I started from the beginning, and it seems this method is ALMOST working for me!
The problem is, that while it can start the gui with dual screens, it suddenly switches to dual blue, then again gui, then again dual blue, etc. It seems like as it's constantly switching resolution. Do you have an idea for fixing this issue?