How to: ATI 4850 working on SL

scorcho

197 posts in this topic

Hi Hangten,

Yes, I boot with Chameleon but I don't have a panic, I have a timeout..?!

I installed Snow Leopard also on a USB Stick to test the update before compromise the installation on the HDD.

And I'm waiting to "touch" the HDD installation because I want to solve first this problem and see that everything works.

[before I update with the combo 10.6.3, the 10.6 on my USB Stick works ok like on my HDD!]

The only kext in use after the update are:

AppleACPIPS2Nub.kext

ApplePS2Controller.kext

FakeSMC.kext

IOAHCIBlockStorageInjector.kext

SMBIOSResolver.kext

Before the update installation I have removed some not essential kext:

EvOreboot.kext

AppleHDA.kext

After the update installation I have replaced your files:

ATI4800Controller.kext (I have modified info.plist with my dev-id)

ATIFramebuffer.kext

ATISupport.kext

But I forgot to repair permissions before I restarted my PC..

So I have used the Snow Leopard Retail DVD to repair it after.

The timeout is:

Other info..:

- I have tried the "com.apple.boot.plist" mod "-x" but nothing has changed

- GraphicsEnabler is set on "Yes"

- I know problems of sleepenabler but I don't need it so I'm not using it.

- Kernel now is set on 32bit but before I install the update it work at 32bit and also at 64bit.

See you here "tomorrow".. here are the 3:00am :D

Thanks for the help

Supernova

EvOreboot.kext isn't this kext needed? Something to do with restart.

What Chameleon version are you using?

Are you booting into the correct drive? Im not sure on your board but on mine I simply hit the "esc" key at boot after the beep sound and get into a boot menu. Then I choose the correct drive. USB external is also an option. What sounds strange to me is that you can't boot into safe mode. com.apple.boot.plist might not be read...

I would try booting into your USB install using the Chameleon installed on your HDD. You can also replace the mach_kernel to the USB and try and see if thats got something to do with it. Simply save the mach_kernel 10.6.3 in a folder and move the copy and paste the mach_kernel from 10.6.0. You have to enable view all folders and the kernel is found in the root or primary of the OSX install. Show all files: http://www.kexts.com/view/196-show_all_files.html

I've tried just about every one of the methods on this thread, but on 10.6.2 I still have no QE/CL - it's running through the Software Renderer.

The one that's working for me, mostly, is using Legacy....kext with GraphicsEnabler = Yes. That gives me a nice functional display but no hardware acceleration.

I've tried EvoEnabler, and that just gets me a black screen (and hard locked computer).

I've tried method 2, and that didn't work at all for some reason.

Is there a way to fix this anyone can suggest? Or barring that, is there a modern-ish card that I can replace this thing with that will just work without headaches?

• 3 weeks later...

Got the 4850 working fine and dandy on newly built Hackintosh. Thanks for the help with this thread.

It was working fine with 10.6.0 (Fresh SL install) -- all I did was place Legacy4800Controller.kext into /Extra/Extensions folder and reran Kext Utility.

When I installed 10.6.3 I had real problems (blank screen).

I manage to get it working again by installing ATISupport.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext, ATI4800Controller.kext (found in this thread) from 10.6.2 into my /System/Library/Extensions folder. I edited the file inside the ATI4800Controller.kext to match the hardware, and kept Legacy4800Controller.kext in the Extra folder.

Someone should make a more straight forward guide on getting the ATI 4850 working on 10.6.3 -- noobs like me get really confused and it took me a couple hours to sort things out!

Got the 4850 working fine and dandy on newly built Hackintosh. Thanks for the help with this thread.

It was working fine with 10.6.0 (Fresh SL install) -- all I did was place Legacy4800Controller.kext into /Extra/Extensions folder and reran Kext Utility.

When I installed 10.6.3 I had real problems (blank screen).

I manage to get it working again by installing ATISupport.kext, ATIFramebuffer.kext, ATI4800Controller.kext (found in this thread) from 10.6.2 into my /System/Library/Extensions folder. I edited the file inside the ATI4800Controller.kext to match the hardware, and kept Legacy4800Controller.kext in the Extra folder.

Someone should make a more straight forward guide on getting the ATI 4850 working on 10.6.3 -- noobs like me get really confused and it took me a couple hours to sort things out!

I'm assuming that you have got the QE/CI enhancements working as well?

Reason I'm asking this is that couldn't get QE/CI work for my GFX card using netkas 10.6.3 exotic patch + EVOEnabler.kext for 4830 (results a glitch screen). I went back and used netkas 10.6.2 patch instead and all I got was screen resolution adjustment without QE/CI enhancements :(

Kinda wished that I bought a 4850 instead... I'm hearing that 4830 gives more issue than 4850 is on a Hackintosh >_<

I'm assuming that you have got the QE/CI enhancements working as well?

Reason I'm asking this is that couldn't get QE/CI work for my GFX card using netkas 10.6.3 exotic patch + EVOEnabler.kext for 4830 (results a glitch screen). I went back and used netkas 10.6.2 patch instead and all I got was screen resolution adjustment without QE/CI enhancements :(

Kinda wished that I bought a 4850 instead... I'm hearing that 4830 gives more issue than 4850 is on a Hackintosh >_<

Yes, the QE/CI enhancements work without any problem on the 4850. I would avoid the 4850 (Sapphire)-- card runs really hot. I had to get a 2ndary cooling option from Arctic (now it runs silent) because the fan speed (even in idle) was driving me nuts.

Now my find my case fan to be really noisy but I don't think theres anything I can do about that unless I want to spend more money again, lol.

--

For those still having trouble, I tried following the initial guidelines (changing the string code) in this post but it did not work. SL could not even boot into safe mode, and I had to modify the info.plist from my Windows partition.

The correct string code is:

<string>0x94401002 0x944a1002</string>

Note it only has *two* parts to it, not three like the ones mentioned in the first part of this post (is it outdated?).

I followed the guide from here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=186249

• 1 month later...
Works 64bit...

Edit Info.plist - ATI4800Controller.kext

..…..……

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x94421002 0x944a1002</string>

..…..…………………..

add EVOenabler.kext Clik

;)

P.S.

source: click

Hi,

I tried your method above and add EVOenabler, but the still black and white screen appears.

any other suggestion i should try ? thanks before

• 3 weeks later...

i got saphire ati radeon hd 4850 1gb ddr3 , amd phenom 2 x4 965 3.4ghz mobo: asus m4a785td-v evo

i tried couple of the methods on this thread i cant make it work , after adding the 0x94421002 id to ati4800 kext , and i got to mention i didnt find com.apple.boot.plist in my extra folder in root directory so i copied it from my intel mac osx 86 and removed everything just the kernel to point to mach_kernel and added device-properties and i added the hex string i generated with gfx and i copied the bootlist in extra folder where is supposed to be , the ati4800 was on my desktop when i was editing it than when i saved it i pulled it over kext utility to install it in s/l/e and repair the permission , after restart BUMP kernel panic =S i dont know why there's some lines with wierd stuff like memory adresses , i installed snow leo 10.6.2 by hazard with this patches:

kernel: blackknight , amd patch, ahci fix, cmos reset fix by elliot , about this mac fix , orange icons fix , openhalt restart fix, usb fix , uuid patch , atiata patch , rosetta ..

before i try to make my card work i can only boot with -x and after i try to fix it with the method above i get kernel panic i cant make it , other methods sometimes give me black screen sometimes there's no spinning icon under the mac logo in login screen and stays there all day long wont boot , i tried bout the outputs i got the dvi and the vga one , the dvi one i try after i connect vga->dvi addon on the monitors cable , and the same stuff happens all over ...

please someone help me out im trying to make this almost 4-5 days i lose my whole day to make this work =((

thanks!

now i tried with evoenabler kext and id in ati4800 now when i boot i get out of range message on my monitor hmm wierd what causes this anyone knows? how to boot it with some flags or something

??

help pleassee!

• 1 month later...

The latest graphics update 1.0 by apple screwed up my desktop (black screen).

If you're running 10.6.4 try downloading the QE Exotic fix by netkas (make sure you get the patch for 10.6.4 and not the graphics update patch).

I had to revert to the previous version to make it work again.

ATI4800Controller.kext

ATIFramebuffer.kext

ATISupport.kext

LegacyATI4800Controller.kext

video.zip

ALL go in the Systems/Library/Extensions and use kext Utility to repair permissions and rebuild mkext, using netkas PC EFI V 10.6.Tested others versions of Chameleon and they will not work unless you swap the "netkas boot" its what engages the 4800 with "GraphicsEnabler with Yes" using either the edit in the plist on the controller or simply using the LegacyATI4800Controller.kext to inject the cards ID string automatically.

Thanks Hangten, the kexts really work fine.

I tried all other methods, only replace back these kexts work on my Asus EAH4850.

adding the 0x94421002 id to ati4800 kext

install it with kext utility to and repair the permission

edit com.apple.Boot.plist for GraphicEnabler=Yes

Bam ! it work after this. Chess game work fine too !

Million thanks !

Latest BETA SL 10.6.5 and HD4850

106.jpg

Extensions.jpg

Kexts.jpg

Great news all thats needed is the LegacyATI4800Controller.kext in Extra/Extensions and thats it! as far as kext's are concerned.

AND NO MORE DVI ADAPTER/DONGLE AT ALL in the second output DVI

Auto detecting seems to fully be working on either DVI, HDMI untested as of this posting using SL10.6.5

For SL 10.6.4 you need the PC-EFI 10.6 and com.apple.Boot.plist containing:

<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>

<string>Yes</string>

IOPCIFamily.kext.zip Go's in the S/L/E folder

LegacyATI4800Controller.kext.zip Go's in the E/E folder

Use Kext Helper

Use the DVI to VGA adapter/dongle in the second port without anything connected. If you run duals it will work with DVI-DVI but single must have or you will have blank screen.

Remember you can boot in safe mode via VGA and put the kext's into place on a new install or before rebooting after updating. Failure will result in kernel panic if your install is new from a Mac onto a spare HDD/SSD

Snow Leopard Graphics Update: on 10.6.4 doesn't seem to affect this particular method at all.

After reading this I took the dive into installing the graphics update after backing up the above mentioned kexts and I just restored them by VNC via another computer and put the kexts back where they were and my card is working once again

I'm using a Sapphire 4850 with DVI-HDMI-VGA but only the DVI is working the HDMI and vga show no signal \=

The update doesn't seem to do anything different for at all in anyway no improvements in watching movies or such or anything else that would matter.

• 1 month later...
After reading this I took the dive into installing the graphics update after backing up the above mentioned kexts and I just restored them by VNC via another computer and put the kexts back where they were and my card is working once again

I'm using a Sapphire 4850 with DVI-HDMI-VGA but only the DVI is working the HDMI and vga show no signal \=

The update doesn't seem to do anything different for at all in anyway no improvements in watching movies or such or anything else that would matter.

i was having the same problem , the nekas package is BUGGY!

after triyng all i found my own solution

1º - install SL and all updates to 10.6.4 + the new graphics update 1.0

2º - then reboot in safe mode and EDIT ATI4800Controller.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext , remove all ID strings there and put just the one for your card! (if you dont know your ID just copy from your old working kext and past on the new updated kexts)

WORKS LIKE A CHARM! i think nekas screw the kexts becouse he forgot to put some IDs there

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

i have a Hackintosh with SL 10.6.5, pc efi 10.6, MB asus p5qd turbo, 8gb ram.

ATM i am running with a crappy ati x300, which does the job except resolution and qe/ci support, i installed a package named Callisto for making it work.

I have just bought a Sapphire HD4850 1gb dual dvi because i wanted the right resolution for my monitor and qe/ci support, but i cannot make it work (i am using the provided dvi-vga adapter)

i tried every method displayed here, included first post ones and the above 10.6.5 specific one, but every try leaded to a total hang and freeze just after the apple image shown (even on verbose mode after some display lines)

What can I do? There is something i can check or remove BEFORE applying the 10.6.5 method?

Someone with my card is using it succesfully?

Any help is much appreciated.

Marco

Hi all,

i have a Hackintosh with SL 10.6.5, pc efi 10.6, MB asus p5qd turbo, 8gb ram.

ATM i am running with a crappy ati x300, which does the job except resolution and qe/ci support, i installed a package named Callisto for making it work.

I have just bought a Sapphire HD4850 1gb dual dvi because i wanted the right resolution for my monitor and qe/ci support, but i cannot make it work (i am using the provided dvi-vga adapter)

i tried every method displayed here, included first post ones and the above 10.6.5 specific one, but every try leaded to a total hang and freeze just after the apple image shown (even on verbose mode after some display lines)

What can I do? There is something i can check or remove BEFORE applying the 10.6.5 method?

Someone with my card is using it succesfully?

Any help is much appreciated.

Marco

Follow this thread

After a fresh install of 10.6 vanilla, my screen was just grey. I fixed that by using the hex in boot.plist and editing 4800.kext. This method did however not work in 10.6.5 but I noticed that after a fresh install and an update to 10.6.5 led to the system recognizing my card but no qe/ci. My solution to the problem was to edit the 4800.kext as mentioned in the first post, install evoenabler and then install 10.6.5 qe_ci patch from netkas http://www.megaupload.com/?d=N6LXSQFN. After a reboot, I had full qe/ci and a 10.6.5 vanilla system! :)

• 1 year later...

Hello, i know this is an old post but i hope anyone can help me with this video card...

I install snow leopard retail (only with -x it boot) then after the installation i added the device ID to ati4800controller and i also try gfxutil but the result is tha same that the video card is correctly recognized but the resolution is max 1440x1050...

In the monitor preferences i see all the other resolution but when i try to change to 1920x1080 the monitor turn off and show "not optimum resolution"...

Also tryed with a 1680x1050 monitor but same result...also tryed force resolution same result...what can i do please help me...