Atheros AR8131/AR8132

bramo

315 posts in this topic

Works 100%

After eight months, i finally find the solution for the ethernet network card of my Acer D250 netbook. Thanks for the excellent work! :D

PS: I'm from Brazil, and my english is just poor! Sorry for the bad language! :)

Kernel Panic! I sometimes get 5 times a day following KernelPanic, what is the exact problem and solution for this? In the middle of development these kernel panics could be heart-breaking -_- I urgently need help. Thanks for your effort.

Panic (cpu 1 caller 0x555b3f): “getPhysicalSegment() out of 32b range 0x132521000, len 0x7d0, class IOBufferMemoryDescriptor “@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.7.4/iokit/Kernel/IO

MemoryDescriptor.cpp:1597

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0x5531bdd8 : 0x21b455 (0x5cf328 0x5531be0c 0x2238b1 0x0)

0x5531be28 : 0x555b3f (0x5d8854 0x32521000 0x1 0x7d0)

0x5531be78 : 0x5b66c0e7 (0x816d680 0x0 0x5531beac 0x10a75d7f)

5 more similar addresses…

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):

ru.Applelife.AtherosL1cEthernet(1.01b9)@0x5b668000->0x5b66eff

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(1.9)@0x5b682000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.6)@0x5511e000

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Mac OS version:

10F569

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 10.4.0: Fri Apr 23 18:28:53 PDT 2010; root:xnu-1504.7.4~1/RELEASE_I386

System model name: MacBookPro4,1 (Mac-FD2D89C8)

System uptime in nanoseconds: 30628841988707

Ps: I installed the correct Atheros kext, I don't think this panic is stemming from mismatching of kext with my hardware. But something seems to be amiss. I am all ears now.

I get the same problem with this kext on a ES2L v2 board. Always this same kext. Its a shame.

Kernel Panic! I sometimes get 5 times a day following KernelPanic, what is the exact problem and solution for this? In the middle of development these kernel panics could be heart-breaking :( I urgently need help. Thanks for your effort.

Panic (cpu 1 caller 0x555b3f): “getPhysicalSegment() out of 32b range 0x132521000, len 0x7d0, class IOBufferMemoryDescriptor “@/SourceCache/xnu/xnu-1504.7.4/iokit/Kernel/IO

MemoryDescriptor.cpp:1597

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0x5531bdd8 : 0x21b455 (0x5cf328 0x5531be0c 0x2238b1 0x0)

0x5531be28 : 0x555b3f (0x5d8854 0x32521000 0x1 0x7d0)

0x5531be78 : 0x5b66c0e7 (0x816d680 0x0 0x5531beac 0x10a75d7f)

5 more similar addresses…

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):

ru.Applelife.AtherosL1cEthernet(1.01b9)@0x5b668000->0x5b66eff

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily(1.9)@0x5b682000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.6)@0x5511e000

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Mac OS version:

10F569

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 10.4.0: Fri Apr 23 18:28:53 PDT 2010; root:xnu-1504.7.4~1/RELEASE_I386

System model name: MacBookPro4,1 (Mac-FD2D89C8)

System uptime in nanoseconds: 30628841988707

Ps: I installed the correct Atheros kext, I don't think this panic is stemming from mismatching of kext with my hardware. But something seems to be amiss. I am all ears now.

I get the same problem with this kext on a ES2L v2 board. Always this same kext. Its a shame.

Always check the kext dependencies using the kext update tool on a terminal.

com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily.kext is the culprit here. Not necessarily the Atheros is the issue - :)

In that case, is there a version of IONetworkingFamily that actually works ?

Or should I just delete the IONetworkingFamily kext - not sure if that works since its a dependency ?

com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily.kext is the culprit here. Not necessarily the Atheros is the issue - :)

it's work perfect on Compaq 110c on 10.6.2 with 32 bit

Thank you Reader02 for this hard efforts and the gentle beautiful corporation with others

god bless you Reader02 ,

many people hope to be like you

thanks insanelymac community.

I have checked the dependencies in /system/library/extensions/ folder by querying it :

kextlibs AtherosL1cEthernet.kext

For all architectures:

com.apple.iokit.IONetworkingFamily = 1.9

com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily = 2.6

com.apple.kpi.bsd = 10.4

com.apple.kpi.iokit = 10.4

com.apple.kpi.libkern = 10.4

For i386:

1 symbol not found in any library kext.

and what do all these convey? What are we supposed to do next?

Thanks, you are the best.

Without your file, I managed to have a working kext by modifying the headers.

With your file, no warnings, no error.

I'll post here my build this evening.

Thanks again.

Michel.

Working kext for Leopard.

Thanks again to reader02

Michel.

build-i386-10.5-20100426.rar

Hi!

I have iatkos v7 10.5.8 on my asus ul30a

NC: atheros ar8132. i have tried to install the kext download from here. but it doesnt work my pc doesnt recognize the network card.

can someone tell me what I should do?

Edit:

i boot with "-v -f cpus=1" too see what is wrong.

I read: ...atheros failed to load...

Thanks reader02, It is successful!!!

In addition to AR8131, I have a wireless card AR9285 (10.6.3)

Will the wireless and wired network card debug difference big?

I am only a little programming base, but I want to debug wireless kext, it is very difficult?

Please give me some suggestions and I'm appreciated.

nice! I also have wireless card atheros 9285 But I have installed iatkos v7 10.5.8. I will try with SL 10.6.3

I hope someone can develop a kex for this hardware.

1.It's AR8121 (atheros L1e) which NIC of 6930G ,isn't AR8131 (attheros L1c).

2.AR8121 kext on 6930G ,have the map error. the reason is PCI driver memory map is not correct.

So ,first try install the modfied PCI driver of leopard in here :http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=81036

Can't it be fixed from DSDT?

Downloaded a Leopard compiled kext and it works great (on leopard). Downloaded SL version an I get nothing (on SL)... Any clues? Is installing a driver on SL different than Leopard?

Does it make a difference that I'm running SL in 32bit?

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all,

Pyun YongHyeon is working in third generation ethernet controller, AR8131/AR8132 from Atheros to FreeBSD.

http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/alc/if_alc.c

http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/alc/if_alcreg.h

http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/alc/if_alcvar.h

http://people.freebsd.org/~yongari/alc/Makefile

Does anyone have any idea how to make a kext to mac os X?

Thanks,

Bramo

ok, I found a Kext to make work the AR8132 mentioned in this post, i have Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2C with Core 2 Quad @ 2.8 GHZ (overclocked), 4 GBS of RAM etc... and this mobo has the Atheros AR8132 ethernet, and everythings working fine! i used AtherosL1cEthernet.kext, used Kext Helper b7 to install it, and it worked!!!

in case you can't find the kext just email me at goth_lacroix_yahel@hotmail.com, i'm leaving my email here so anybody having a hard time as i did making ethernet work can find a solution, feel free to contact me.

AtherosL1cEthernet.kext.zip

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there. I am using Reader02's AtherosL1c kext on a G31M-ES2L Rev2.3 motherboard and I randomly get a kernel panic. The panic message mentions AtherosL1cEthernet and dependencies to IONetworking and IOPCI families.

I saw that a few of you above got the same problem but none of them has found a solution. I'm attaching a photo of the kernel panic screen.

Can any of you help with that, please?

Thanks a lot.

post-141749-1284463042_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same random kernel panic with the L1c driver too. Unless you can show some proof, its just plain FUD to say its the IONetworkingFamily kext. I'm running the stock version from Apple and it is the dependency for almost every network kext. So if it was the culprit there would be a lot more kernel panics from other network cards.

Personally I think the current L1c extension is bugged. I'll peak into the source and see if I can't bring it up to speed with a more recent *nix release.

I have the same random kernel panic with the L1c driver too. Unless you can show some proof, its just plain FUD to say its the IONetworkingFamily kext. I'm running the stock version from Apple and it is the dependency for almost every network kext. So if it was the culprit there would be a lot more kernel panics from other network cards.

Personally I think the current L1c extension is bugged. I'll peak into the source and see if I can't bring it up to speed with a more recent *nix release.

I can't show you proof. I'm pretty sure it's the L1c extension as well. I kinda gave up and ordered a miniPCI airport card and an adapter. I'll be really thankful if you could fix it though.

Thanks.

Ok. I might have found the culprit in the L1c extension. There appears to be a buffer overflow issue that is still occurring. A memset call seems to be overriding more memory than allocated. The issue manifests itself when you reach the end of the allocated blocks. I have increased the allocation to see if that patches the issue. Its a rough fix but if it works I'll follow up with an attachment.

-----

EDIT: I found the cause of the buffer issue. It seems to be an issue with the generic allocation call the is alloc a buffer that goes past the 32-bit address limit. The darwin kernel needs to keep the buffer within 32-bit address space. I'm rewriting the code to use the proper call to ensure the extension keeps all allocation under 32-bits.

Quick hack should be done tonight. A good fix would take some time. I'm still puzzled why there is constant alloc of rx buffers on-the-fly when a set matching the max packet and total ring size is not prealloc. The hack will have an issue in 64bit that when memory is filled near 4GB or more the network will stop functioning-- we won't be able to alloc any more buffers under 32bit. So be aware that heavy memory usage on system with more than 4GB will kill your net connection.

Mini-survey. Everyone that has had the panic-- are you running the kernel in 64bit?*

*In case you're technically savvy universal 32/64bit mode since only servers should be running pure 64

-----

EDIT: Added patched source and compiled (10.6) binary

AtherosL1cEthernet_src.zip

@beatover: I didn't think this would be an issue in 32. Let me know if it still crashes.

I added a fix for a PM issue-- NIC going offline after sleep and NIC not detecting cable if unplugged during sleep. I think its the same issue. This new build should fix that.

-----

EDIT: After a little more testing. I don't think some of the sleep issue can be fixed. Its likely a platform or sleep enabler (for some user) issue. The routine to disable the NIC is not being called thus it can never be brought back up on wake. I think the system maybe going into sleep before the chain of registered callbacks are complete. It may be possible to create a userspace daemon to kill the NIC prior to sleep so it will always come back up. But I'm not going to work on this unless there's real demand.

AtherosL1cEthernet_src.zip

I have an issue with iousbfamily.kext when I try to boot in 64-bit. Using the 10.6.2 one lets me boot but doesn't eject my USB hard disks correctly upon sleep. A patched one I found fixes that but gives me infinite loading at boot for x64 kernel.

I'll put the fixed one back to try your kext in x64 though.

Is the sleep issue you're mentioning the reason why I can't find anything over bonjour after a sleep?

Thanks again. Haven't had a crash with your kext yet in 32bit but since it's normally a random crash, I'll have to wait and see.

[edit] Okay I tried booting with arch=x86_64 and I get the attached panic. See the picture. Sorry about the pics but I don't know how to get the logs. The folder for the logs doesn't exist.

post-141749-1286004925_thumb.jpg

Is the sleep issue you're mentioning the reason why I can't find anything over bonjour after a sleep?

The network sleep issue affects everything-- web, email, etc. It basically kills your net connection. If its only bonjour its probably a different issue.

Ye it's only bonjour + the ability to find/connect to my airport express. Thanks.

Check my previous post edit and see if you understand the panic I got with your latest kext mod booting in x64. I don't really need x64 myself, except when I do 3D with Maya. Don't worry about it if it's lots of work to fix. Cheers.