Dell XPS 1340 under OSX 10.6, including boot-132 install cd

bcc9

1,149 posts in this topic

I'm using chameleon to boot,and single user didn't work...will try with verbose now. I'm also downloading a 10.7 dvd to try and recover it if nothing else works.

tried: mach_kernel -X -v

tried: mach_kernel -s -v

neither of them boot or display more info about the problem, just the PCI config problem.

Is there any instructions for 10.7 or just follow the same as 10.6.2?

tried: mach_kernel -X -v

tried: mach_kernel -s -v

neither of them boot or display more info about the problem, just the PCI config problem.

You're missing npci=0x2000 and debug=0x<whatever> , such as debug=0x14
Is there any instructions for 10.7 or just follow the same as 10.6.2?

10.7 instructions are different, the general instructions are in other threads, the dell 1340 specific issues are covered in earlier posts.

I have Win7 and Linux here, but none of them have write access to the OSx partition as far as I can see,

For write access, disable journalling, and then the linux hfs support will work read+write.

diskutil disableJournal /Volumes/TheVolumeName

after mounting the disk on another system or boot OSX from another partition.

You're missing npci=0x2000 and debug=0x<whatever> , such as debug=0x14

Tried mach_kernel rd=disk0s5 -v -x npci=0x2000 debug=0x14 and it still comes back with the same error, nothing more detailed, although everything is loaded individually

10.7 instructions are different, the general instructions are in other threads, the dell 1340 specific issues are covered in earlier posts.

I've been reading through the pages, but if you could appoint me, the a search criteria, or a specific page number which I could use?...

For write access, disable journalling, and then the linux hfs support will work read+write.

diskutil disableJournal /Volumes/TheVolumeName

after mounting the disk on another system or boot OSX from another partition.

Well, it would be nice, but at the moment I don't have anything to boot OsX from :angel:

Tried mach_kernel rd=disk0s5 -v -x npci=0x2000 debug=0x14 and it still comes back with the same error, nothing more detailed, although everything is loaded individually
What error?

Also maybe you didn't rebuild your kext cache

I've been reading through the pages, but if you could appoint me, the a search criteria, or a specific page number which I could use?...
I'm too busy right now to categorize everything
Well, it would be nice, but at the moment I don't have anything to boot OsX from :angel:

What's nice about this laptop is you can have esata disks attached and boot from them with full performance (well 1.5gbps sata speed).

What error?

PCI configuration begin

Also maybe you didn't rebuild your kext cache

Yep, that is possible, but now that I can't boot it, it's not an option to do so...is there?

I'm too busy right now to categorize everything

Ok, understood. Cheers anyway.

What's nice about this laptop is you can have esata disks attached and boot from them with full performance (well 1.5gbps sata speed).

Yep, no estat device I can use at the moment, I even struggle to find an external HDD caddy, though I have plenty of drives. Having stuff in boxes after moving prob. doesn't help...lol. Nevermind will need to use my N900 as a card reader and the 4GB microSD as the drive.

Also, you didn't say, but perhaps you're using a 9500m and the npci=0x2000 is not working. (Just guessing - I don't have a 9500m).

In that case you might try oleg's recommended workaround of using the rolled back version of the iopcifamily kext (from 10.6.7).

PCI configuration begin

Yep, that is possible, but now that I can't boot it, it's not an option to do so...is there?

Ok, understood. Cheers anyway.

Yep, no estat device I can use at the moment, I even struggle to find an external HDD caddy, though I have plenty of drives. Having stuff in boxes after moving prob. doesn't help...lol. Nevermind will need to use my N900 as a card reader and the 4GB microSD as the drive.

"PCI configuration begin" is not an error, it's a standard diagnostic which you should be seeing.

You can avoid a bad kext cache by booting with -f

If you have plenty of drives, then any old usb enclosure would work OK for recovery as well.

Also, you didn't say, but perhaps you're using a 9500m and the npci=0x2000 is not working. (Just guessing - I don't have a 9500m).

In that case you might try oleg's recommended workaround of using the rolled back version of the iopcifamily kext (from 10.6.7).

Yep it's the SLI stuff 9400+9200, I will give this another shot, but somehow I doubt that I get any further.

"PCI configuration begin" is not an error, it's a standard diagnostic which you should be seeing.

You can avoid a bad kext cache by booting with -f

If you have plenty of drives, then any old usb enclosure would work OK for recovery as well.

I'm just making a 10.7 boot disk, will see what happens, otherwise I need to rebuild it from scratch. To be honest I'm more of a linux person not a huge OsX fan, but I need it occasionally and this bleeding upgrade broken it, so gotta fix it.

Yep it's the SLI stuff 9400+9200, I will give this another shot, but somehow I doubt that I get any further.

I'm just making a 10.7 boot disk, will see what happens, otherwise I need to rebuild it from scratch. To be honest I'm more of a linux person not a huge OsX fan, but I need it occasionally and this bleeding upgrade broken it, so gotta fix it.

Well it's not as if there aren't many ways you could debug whatever problem you might be having. Especially as a linux person where you can repair everything from a shell interface. Having the obligatory backup of your OS before upgrading would have saved you from any reinstall situation.

Sounds like you've got plenty of homework to do, good luck.

And bump...still haven't managed to fix it, but what I did realize is - what probably everybody knew already - that the 10.7 can't be installed from scratch.

Sure it can. You can boot a 10.7 capable version of chameleon from a usb thumb drive with an unpacked vanilla osx install disk on a second disk (usb thumb drive, or partition or whatever). If your HDD copy of chameleon still works you can instead more simply boot from that and install off of the vanilla disk/partition.

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent some time on trying to fix my PCI Configuration being problem, and I've got through it....yeah :rolleyes:

But now I my 10.6.8 is still not booting. I have the following error message:

ACPI_SMCP_PlatformPlugin::registeredLPCDriver - failed to locate SMC driver.

After this I have systemshutdown false scrolling on my scree.

(StudioXPS 1340 4GB RAM, Nvidia SLI, P9500)

Anybody seen similar problem? I can boot up to single user mode, but with safe mode I get nowhere.

Boot options: npci=0x3000 arch=i386

Thanks

But now I my 10.6.8 is still not booting. I have the following error message:

ACPI_SMCP_PlatformPlugin::registeredLPCDriver - failed to locate SMC driver.

That means you don't have fakesmc installed right and or you need to rebuild your kext cache (boot with -f)

That means you don't have fakesmc installed right and or you need to rebuild your kext cache (boot with -f)

Cheers, tried that, but comes up with the same error. I'm not even sure if that would start the booting, but basically I1m stuck in console mode cylcing through systemshutdown false.

Cheers, tried that, but comes up with the same error. I'm not even sure if that would start the booting, but basically I1m stuck in console mode cylcing through systemshutdown false.

You still have problems with fakesmc then. Verify that you can load it with kextutil and that it's making it into your kext cache.

You still have problems with fakesmc then. Verify that you can load it with kextutil and that it's making it into your kext cache.

I will do that, at least I can boot to single user mode. Would this stop me from booting? Can you point me to the relevant fakesmc for 10.6.8? Thanks again.

I will do that, at least I can boot to single user mode. Would this stop me from booting? Can you point me to the relevant fakesmc for 10.6.8? Thanks again.

fakesmc is mandatory as per post #1 and I've always had a link to it in post #1.

fakesmc is mandatory as per post #1 and I've always had a link to it in post #1.

I've got fakesmc put in place, but I have kernel panic, I get the full error message, but it's something to do with FakeSmcRadeon, but at least I can boot to Safe Mode.

I've got fakesmc put in place, but I have kernel panic, I get the full error message, but it's something to do with FakeSmcRadeon, but at least I can boot to Safe Mode.

There is no reference to fakesmcradeon from the version of fakesmc I referenced in post #1. Sounds like you're using something other than what I recommended. I wonder where you're getting fakesmcradeon from and why you installed it.

In any case, I've added a copy of netkas's fakesmc 2.5 build to post #1 as it looks like all of the versions netkas had posted have become broken links. Or as described in the past, you could just grab kexts such as fakesmc from the bootcd.

In any case, I've added a copy of netkas's fakesmc 2.5 build to post #1 as it looks like all of the versions netkas had posted have become broken links. Or as described in the past, you could just grab kexts such as fakesmc from the bootcd.

Cheers!

I was going to say that the link is no longer valid in post#1

Hey all.

I'm running 10.7.2 on my 1340 with a 9400G/9500M combo. I've so far gotten mostly everything but the battery working. I use VoodooHDA for audio, and I'm unsure, but the temperatures feel a bit lower after using the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement kext. Can't confirm battery life since it doesn't work.

bcc9, you posted a DSDT for Lion, but I can't get that to work either. I just end up with the PCI configuration begin error if I have a DSDT in my Extra folder.

Also, if i understood this correctly, am I supposed to use a Lion version of ACPIPlatform along with this DSDT? Where does ACPIBattery come into the mix? I know I'm slightly misnaming these kexts, sorry for that.

Let me know guys. Much appreciated,

wtcnbrwndo4u

I'm running 10.7.2 on my 1340 with a 9400G/9500M combo. I've so far gotten mostly everything but the battery working. I use VoodooHDA for audio, and I'm unsure, but the temperatures feel a bit lower after using the AppleGraphicsPowerManagement kext. Can't confirm battery life since it doesn't work.

bcc9, you posted a DSDT for Lion, but I can't get that to work either. I just end up with the PCI configuration begin error if I have a DSDT in my Extra folder.

To recap, independent of OSX version, you *need* a modified DSDT for working battery status, and also for working LID close detection.

As of 10.7, you need the new lion version of my DSDT changes to get working battery status.

If your system is booting OK without a DSDT, but hangs with a DSDT, it'd be good to narrow down whether you're actually having problems with my lion DSDT changes or whether you're having more general problems. So I'd recommend trying the older DSDT.

I assume you had no such problems with 10.6.x. I wonder if you had problems with older versions of 10.7; you only mentioned 10.7.2.

To recap, independent of OSX version, you *need* a modified DSDT for working battery status, and also for working LID close detection.

As of 10.7, you need the new lion version of my DSDT changes to get working battery status.

If your system is booting OK without a DSDT, but hangs with a DSDT, it'd be good to narrow down whether you're actually having problems with my lion DSDT changes or whether you're having more general problems. So I'd recommend trying the older DSDT.

I assume you had no such problems with 10.6.x. I wonder if you had problems with older versions of 10.7; you only mentioned 10.7.2.

Gotcha. I think I need to start over fresh and deal with the DSDT issue first rather than later. You're right in that I didn't have any problems in 10.6.x. I actually jumped straight from 10.6.8 to 10.7.2, so I didn't even encounter the previous versions of 10.7.

I feel I might be running into a problem with the kexts that I've added. What kexts should I add other than FakeSMC.kext? I've got the VoodooPS2Controller along with one for the internal SATA (can't remember off the top of my head). Oh, VoodooHDA too, but I get occasional kernel panics with it. What would you recommend?

Hi - I'm typing this on a successfully installed snow leopard install that I got up and running with this great guide - thanks bcc9.

I've had a quick look at the original post and looked through a few of the other posts but is there an updated method/guide anywhere to get 10.7.2 up an running? I would really appreciate a link to a step by step guide or any additional info to follow. Maybe updating the original post would be a good idea.

And sorry if i've missed anything obvious....

Many Thanks

:-)

Sure it can. You can boot a 10.7 capable version of chameleon from a usb thumb drive with an unpacked vanilla osx install disk on a second disk (usb thumb drive, or partition or whatever). If your HDD copy of chameleon still works you can instead more simply boot from that and install off of the vanilla disk/partition.

Tried your second suggestion with the latest Chameleon 2.1 and OSInstall modified 10.7.2 vanilla disk (from mac app store one), but chameleon can't find /mach_kernel (as there is no such file). Can you clarify how to make chameleon see vanilla image?

BTW, my current system is studio xps 1340 with nvidia g210m graphics, and running 10.6.7 on an MBR based disk.

EDIT: Turns out I forgot about the mach_kernel in the original ESD disk. Putting it to the root of install disk solved the first problem, but resulted with pci configuration begin message and nothing else. Then, I copied rolled back (from SL) kexts for ACPI and IOPCI to S/L/E of the install disk, and that solved that problem too. But still, booting Lion install disk fails to boot. These are the last 3 messages from verbose boot:

DSMOS has arrived

NVEthernet: Ethernet address [my mac id]

00000000 00000020 NVEthernet::setLinkStatus - not Active

Tried your second suggestion with the latest Chameleon 2.1 and OSInstall modified 10.7.2 vanilla disk (from mac app store one), but chameleon can't find /mach_kernel (as there is no such file). Can you clarify how to make chameleon see vanilla image?

From my notes:

0. Install current chameleon rc5 to osx 10.6 installation or a thumb drive

1. Mount 10.7 image

2. open /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/BaseSystem.dmg

3. Run disk utility

4. select restore

5. select 'Mac OS X Base System' as source

select a partition on usb thumb drive as destination, where partition has >= 5GB of space

6. Remove “Packages” alias from System/Installation on the partition you just set up

7. cp -R /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/Packages /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/System/Installation

8. cp /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Install\ ESD/mach_kernel /Volumes/Mac\ OS\ X\ Base\ System/

I did my initial installs on a GPT partitioned disk, so I didn't have to use a patched OSInstall.

I later imaged the working installed 10.7 partition to an MBR based disk, as I still need MBR to boot windows.