Macdrive woes!

bchan009

5 posts in this topic

Hey everyone!

I have a large (1 TB) external drive formatted in HFS+, but due to a small windows partition size I often put games and applications on it. In XP, I would simply run programs off the external, but in Windows 7 it doesn't work. I'm using Macdrive 8.

When I try to open up a .exe file stored on an HFS+ drive, I get this message:

ShellExecuteEx failed; code 1203.

The network path was either typed incorrectly, does not exist, or the network provider is not currently available. Please try retyping the path or contact your network administrator.

If I try to run the .exe as Administrator, I get this:

Windows cannot access *file path*.

Does anyone else have this problem with Macdrive? I can play movies, music, and read/write files just fine - I just can't run .exe files.

I tested this on a W7 installation and you are quite right. I think it's to do with the way W7 handles 'network' drives and that's how MacDrive appears to the system. Not sure if there's an answer yet; maybe if there's an incompatibility the MacDrive people will address it in an update. If I spot an answer I'll let you know.

Of course you could grab the Windows HFS+ drivers Apple is supposed to be including with 10.6 (Quote from the web: "Apple has released read-only HFS+ drivers for Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7 with the Mac OS X 10.6 developer preview") and see if they solve your problem.

• 1 year later...
I just ran into this issue in 2011 with MacDrive 8.0.3.2, while accessing a file on an external OSX HD.

I solved it by copying the file to the internal Windows 7 HD. From there it worked.

Simple enough. Pity that this answer has been added after 2 years :rolleyes: