Retail Install 10.6

lord_webi

29 posts in this topic

1. partition a virgin harddisk or usb stick in GUID

2. rebuild "Install Mac OS X DVD" on your harddisk in first partition (not for stick install, just burn DVD)

3. install on future system partition or usb stick: Chameleon RC1 (!) + efi boot 10.1

4. copy your needed x64 kexts to /Extra folder (google for that, e.g. voodooHDA, NullPowerManagement.Kext (go NetKas.org or Insanely))

5. copy your (edit it to your needs) smbios.plist, com.apple.boot.plist (with efi_string) and DSDT.aml to /Extra

6. copy new FakeSMC.kext from Netkas to /Extra

7. delete mkext from /Extra folder

8. make harddisk first boot device

9. boot from stick or hd (where Chameleon reside)

10. choose install from DVD or the rebuilded "Install DVD" on hd

11. install Snow Leo, after install reboot (stick or harddisk) and make your SL user

12. start (over and over) Kext Utility until no 2nd attempt apperars

13. restart

14. test system, if any kext is missing copy it to /Extra and start Kext Utility

15. NEVER use "-f" and never use Kext Helper without Kext Utility after that !

16. have fun !

if you change/copy any kext ... always use Kext Utility ... !!!

to use my files for making a retail boot DVD/USB-Stick/boot-partition

- edit smbios.plist and add your MacAddress to SMUUID (last 12 digits), edit in your CPU, Clock and MEM settings etc.

- edit com.apple.boot.plist and replace my efi_string to your own efi_string for gfx card

- edit PlatformUUID.kext (content) info.plist and add your MacAddress in PlatformUUID entry like done before in smbios.plist

and not to forget: big thanks goes to NetKas, riws and ... me :(

P5W.zip

2. rebuild "Install Mac OS X DVD" on your harddisk in first partition (not for stick install, just burn DVD)

3. install on future system partition or usb stick: Chameleon RC1 (!) + efi boot 10.1

4. copy your needed x64 kexts to /Extra folder (google for that, e.g. voodooHDA, NullPowerManagement.Kext (go NetKas.org or Insanely))

5. copy your (edit it to your needs) smbios.plist, com.apple.boot.plist (with efi_string) and DSDT.aml to /Extra

6. copy new FakeSMC.kext from Netkas to /Extra

7. delete mkext from /Extra folder

9. boot from stick or hd (where Chameleon reside)

11. install Snow Leo, after install reboot (stick or harddisk) and make your SL user

12. start (over and over) Kext Utility until no 2nd attempt apperars

13. restart

14. test system, if any kext is missing copy it to /Extra and start Kext Utility

15. NEVER use "-f" and never use Kext Helper without Kext Utility after that !

16. have fun !

if you change/copy any kext ... always use Kext Utility ... !!!

to use my files for making a retail boot DVD/USB-Stick/boot-partition

- edit smbios.plist and add your MacAddress to SMUUID (last 12 digits), edit in your CPU, Clock and MEM settings etc.

- edit com.apple.boot.plist and replace my efi_string to your own efi_string for gfx card

- edit PlatformUUID.kext (content) info.plist and add your MacAddress in PlatformUUID entry like done before in smbios.plist

and not to forget: big thanks goes to NetKas, riws and ... me :)

what do you exactly mean with this. should i just copy efi-boot 10.1 to the root? cuz i cant do it ant it says it cant do it cuz it is invisable?

what do you exactly mean with this. should i just copy efi-boot 10.1 to the root? cuz i cant do it ant it says it cant do it cuz it is invisable?

You should copy the boot file from EFI Boot to / of the partition where you installed Chameleon overwriting the one installed by Chameleon. It doesn't matter if it's invisible or not. you need to copy it there and overwrite the other one.

You should copy the boot file from EFI Boot to / of the partition where you installed Chameleon overwriting the one installed by Chameleon. It doesn't matter if it's invisible or not. you need to copy it there and overwrite the other one.

Finder says: you can not change boot cuz it is invisable?

voodoohda works in 64 bit? because I can not install the audio

the fakesmc not enough to restart ... you have to install openhaltrestart

edit: I installed voodoo64bit in S / L / E because it does not work in Extras, so it works ... but not perfectly

voodoohda works in 64 bit? because I can not install the audio

the fakesmc not enough to restart ... you have to install openhaltrestart

edit: I installed voodoo64bit in S / L / E because it does not work in Extras, so it works ... but not perfectly

VoodooHDA workz perfect and is x64 ... you need to run Kext Utility and to restart, than this will work ... without installing it directly in Extensions of Snow Leo ...

... on some boards FakeSMC or Openhaltstart won't work ... you have to try ...

I am on P5WDH Deluxe. The important thing that made it work for me was the Chameleon RC1 with EFI 10.1 all-in-one package. This is the link to it -

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1234058

I installed that bootloader and now it boots to the desktop. I had to delete all ATI related kexts in order to boot without Safe Mode though and I get regular kernel panics but I am successfully booting 10a432 now. Thanks :rolleyes:

@lord_webi: simple & good guide, made it the same way. the important thing to do for me was the kext utility usage after install. without everytime snowleo boots like with -f

one question off topic: is it snow leopard related that i don't have any drive icons on my desktop? i don't need them, i like it. i have a G4 with 10.4 there i have the same thing but don't know what i did :(

Hi all. I need some help to understand the instructions:

This is where I will install the OS, right?

Rebuild? I have the retail DVD, what do I need to do to "rebuild" it on my harddisk?

"your harddisk" means current (OSX 10.5.7) drive? Or virgin (GUID partitioned) empty drive?

Which "needs" would I have? I currently have a Sapphire HD4870 (dual DVI), an efi string and some kexts for it to work.

How? (From the BIOS or something more complex?)

This means I can skip step 2 and just use the DVD?

Thanks!

Rodrigo

Trying to do it on my own.

"10. choose install from DVD or the rebuilded "Install DVD" on hd"

No "Install from DVD" options appear. Just the hard drive's name.

Any idea?

Thanks,

Rodrigo

I installed Chamaleon in the new hard drive and replaced the boot file. Then copied all the DVD data to a new partition in my current system's hard drive.

I can choose the new partition from Chamaleon, it starts to boot, and it gets stuck in "AppleYukon2: RxRingSize <=1024...."

I believe this is not the problem, since I tried disabling the ethernet adapters and it gets stuck in the other message before that: "USBF: 6.109 AppleUSBUHCI0xffffff8091258000]::start unable to initialize UIM".

REPLY HERE PLEASE:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181769

Thanks!

Rodrigo.

I have a full working copy of Snow Leopard installed. I was even able to install Chameleon to my hidden EFI partition. The only problem is now the partition isn't hidden anymore. Every time I boot it mounts. I've unmounted it and even deleted the mount point to to avail. Is there any way I can keep it from mounting and showing up every time I boot?

one question off topic: is it snow leopard related that i don't have any drive icons on my desktop? i don't need them, i like it. i have a G4 with 10.4 there i have the same thing but don't know what i did :)

Hi madhias,

i had the same problem and search long time. You have to go to the settings of the finder, there you can check a point for show the disks on the desktop, that's all!

F-Didi

I usually stay away from the terminal. Yet I understand this guide except

"5. copy your (edit it to your needs) smbios.plist, com.apple.boot.plist (with efi_string) and DSDT.aml to /Extra"

My 2 hacks have different boards, no Asus P5W, so I think I would have to create board-specific dsdt.aml files. That shouldn't be a problem.

But how to edit the smbios.plist?

"- edit smbios.plist and add your MacAddress to SMUUID (last 12 digits), edit in your CPU, Clock and MEM settings etc."

and the PlatformUUID.kext

"- edit PlatformUUID.kext (content) info.plist and add your MacAddress in PlatformUUID entry like done before in smbios.plist"

??

I suppose SMemspeed should be 667 in my case (for the desktop) as the RAM runs at that speed.

The MACAdress of the ethernet card as shown in the system profiler is not in binary format, there are numbers, special characters and letters. Must it be converted?

The other lines are competely "chinese" for me.

Could you please explain step by step how to edit the .plist files? (Can it be done with any text editor?)

edit: This might be the answer:

STEP 4

First thing we have to take care of is manually editing the UUID of the Snow drive into two different locations. First, open the "smbios.plist" (from your Extra folder) in TextEdit. Fill in the information in the <string> tags, although it's not necessary to have a serial number. The plist is currently configured for a Mac Pro 3,1, but you can use whatever you want, look up a guide on smbios.plist. The SMexternalclock is your FSB speed, the SMmaximalclock is your processor speed in MHz, the SMmemtype is your memory (18 is DDR, 19 is DDR2, and I think 20 is DDR3), and finally SMmemspeed is your memory clock in MHz. Now, without closing smbios.plist yet, open Disk Utility. Click on your Snow drive, and then on Info at the top. Copy the Universal Unique Identifier string, and paste it into a new text file, because you will use this later on as well. Close Disk Utility, and proceed to paste the string you just copied into smbios.plist under SMUUID on top of the "PASTE YOUR UUID HERE". Once you have completed this, save the smbios.plist, make sure the changes were applied, and navigate back to your Extra folder.

STEP 5

This time, go into Extensions, and right click on PlatformUUID.kext, picking the "Show Package Contents" option. Open the Contents folder, and finally open Info.plist with TextEdit. Copy your UUID again, and paste it over where it says "PASTE YOUR UUID HERE". Save the changes, and close the window.

Found here:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=181903

I have a full working copy of Snow Leopard installed. I was even able to install Chameleon to my hidden EFI partition. The only problem is now the partition isn't hidden anymore. Every time I boot it mounts. I've unmounted it and even deleted the mount point to to avail. Is there any way I can keep it from mounting and showing up every time I boot?

open Terminal and type:

# vi /etc/fstab

- enter the following in one single line, this is space/tab seperated.

UUID=UUID_of_your_hidden_efi_partition none hfs rw,noauto

- press ESC key and type :wq and then press Enter or Return

- reboot and you should be all set