Bonjour Networking with Realtek drivers & ifconfig workaround for Snow Leopard

blackosx

152 posts in this topic

Hi crazyrog17

For ifconfig, you have been using the rebuilt ifconfig and not the default Apple one?

I have re-written the front page of this thread today to help show where this thread is at.

Yes, I used the rebuilt ifconfig available in this forum.

I'm just not sure how to load it into terminal and run the thing. Is it the same as running tcpdump? That's easy enough for me to do at boot because I don't often restart my computer. As I've said, I have bonjour working with tcpdump for now.

I'm just not sure how to load it into terminal and run the thing. Is it the same as running tcpdump? That's easy enough for me to do at boot because I don't often restart my computer. As I've said, I have bonjour working with tcpdump for now.

Everything you need is in this thread and also on Daniel Becker's homepage, as I have written on the first page!

From Daniel Becker's homepage.....

......here is a build of ifconfig that can be used to manually force a network interface into or out of promiscuous mode (using ifconfig en0 promisc or ifconfig en0 -promisc, respectively; substitute en0 as appropriate),

Also read Scorcho's script (linked to from the front page) to understand the usage.

Hi guys, I app'd up the script & patch to make it a little more user friendly. Details on my blog:

http://is.gd/4DCx1

You can download the kit here: (includes readme for install)

http://www.mediafire.com/?gauyiyyjmm4

Thanks to: blackosx (for the great thread & hard work compiling all the info), scorche (for the wonderful AppleScript), and Daniel Becker (for the patched ifconfig command). Please LMK if this works for you. Works great for me (UD3P + 64-bit Snow Leopard). Make sure you REBOOT after doing the install to make it work!

Hi guys, I app'd up the script & patch to make it a little more user friendly. Details on my blog:

Good work weaksauce12 and I agree with what you've written on your blog that an auto-installer would make this even simpler. For now, I will try the package you uploaded this evening and report back.

EDIT: Great, Thanks weaksauce12, it works as advertised. I will add it to the Support Files of my 10.6 install guide :)

Good work weaksauce12 and I agree with what you've written on your blog that an auto-installer would make this even simpler. For now, I will try the package you uploaded this evening and report back.

EDIT: Great, Thanks weaksauce12, it works as advertised. I will add it to the Support Files of my 10.6 install guide ;)

Ideally, I'd like have something like a prefPane with the modded ifconfig inside. That way, you don't have to store the password in a file (very insecure) and you could select more than one adapter (or just selected *which* adapter) to apply the startup script to (my UD3P has 2 Ethernet ports, for example). At least, I would assume that you can store admin access to a prefPane app, based on others that I have seen. I'm not familiar enough with Xcode to know if that's possible, but I'm sure someone can come up with a spiffy way to make it auto-install & secure :P Thanks again for compiling the thread, been going nuts trying to get AFP/Bonjour working on my 64-bit kernel haha.

Ideally, I'd like have something like a prefPane with the modded ifconfig inside. That way, you don't have to store the password in a file (very insecure) and you could select more than one adapter (or just selected *which* adapter) to apply the startup script to (my UD3P has 2 Ethernet ports, for example). At least, I would assume that you can store admin access to a prefPane app, based on others that I have seen. I'm not familiar enough with Xcode to know if that's possible, but I'm sure someone can come up with a spiffy way to make it auto-install & secure :) Thanks again for compiling the thread, been going nuts trying to get AFP/Bonjour working on my 64-bit kernel haha.

It's funny, but before you 're-ignited' this topic, I was happy that the bonjour problem was sorted as we had a working model and I had moved on to other things. But all we really had was a workaround and the insecure nature of entering our password in the script is a big problem with this method. So yes, if an app / prefpane can be developed which eliminates the need to store the password in plaintext then bingo! I will spread the word in asking for anyone with coding skills to have a look at developing this further.

So thanks for picking this up and giving it the push it needs :P

It's funny, but before you 're-ignited' this topic, I was happy that the bonjour problem was sorted as we had a working model and I had moved on to other things. But all we really had was a workaround and the insecure nature of entering our password in the script is a big problem with this method. So yes, if an app / prefpane can be developed which eliminates the need to store the password in plaintext then bingo! I will spread the word in asking for anyone with coding skills to have a look at developing this further.

So thanks for picking this up and giving it the push it needs :(

Just a stepping stone ;) Hopefully we can get a real kit out there :P

I was initially worried about the lack of security on the admin password, but if I'm worried about someone hacking through my router, through my software firewall, into my Mac, then into my Applications folder to open Bonjour64, dig for the script file, and copy my admin password...well...it seemed kinda silly to worry about that in perspective, lol. Not that it's not a security risk, it's just that it's not that high on any hacker's priority list (at least based on the number of users of this script, and given the more secure nature of OS X, haha).

Well, it is working for only couple of minutes... after that I think bonjour is crashing ..... still waiting for a working solution.

What do mean bonjour is crashing? can you give more details to your experience?. Which method are you using to activate bonjour? and how you're testing it and what happens when it stops working?

Well, I use my iphone with apple remote for browsing my Itunes library .. for a couple of minutes - 5 maximum .. al is ok .. I can use with no problem my iphone as a remote for Itunes.. after the 5 minutes .. well, it is stop working ... I activity monitor is no trace of bonjour... apple remote or other apps that I use on my Iphone that rely on bonjour do not detect the network ...

Did somedy try the new version of realtekr1000.kext which is in the iso of the rebelEFI ? the version is 2.0.9, and the kext can be found on a russian website who extracted the content of the iso.

I didn't test it because my SL partition is not ok, but I think it's worth trying it.

I did try that kext ... no use so far .. we need another solution

Guys, the ifconfig mod author posted on his web site a Launch Daemond to run the command at startup automatically.

Why to build AppleScripts and others things when the solution exist since the beginning?

Sonotone's had a look at the Bonjour ifconfig workaround and has kindly put together a package installer which does everything for you with regard to installing and automatically starting Daniel U Becker's ifconfig command.

This method doesn't use an Applescript, so there's no need to store a plaintext version copy of your password anywhere.

The installer installs the following....

• a folder named bonjour64 in /Library/StartupItems/ which contains bonjour64 startupitem and a StartupParameters.plist.

• ifconfig in /usr/local/bin/

The installer has options to install for an adapter using en0, en1 or en2.

If you are already using a previous setup of ifconfig then you can remove it.

All credits for this installer go to Sonotone and Daniel U Becker for his original work with ifconfig.

Realtek_Bonjour_enabler.zip

Sonotone's had a look at the Bonjour ifconfig workaround and has kindly put together a package installer which does everything for you with regard to installing and automatically starting Daniel U Becker's ifconfig command.

This method doesn't use an Applescript, so there's no need to store a plaintext version copy of your password anywhere.

• a folder named bonjour64 in /Library/StartupItems/ which contains bonjour64 startupitem and a StartupParameters.plist.

All credits for this installer go to Sonotone and Daniel U Becker for his original work with ifconfig.

I used this, and at the end it said "Don't forget to remove RealtekR1000.kext"

and I was wondering if you could clarify on that?

Like go into my Extra folder and remove that kext? in my System?

I used this, and at the end it said "Don't forget to remove RealtekR1000.kext"

and I was wondering if you could clarify on that?

Good question.

If you have added RealtekR1000 after installing Snow Leopard then remove it.

Only you will know if you have added this or not, and if you did then you would have either put it in /Extra/Extensions or /System/Library/Extensions.

Hmm, from my Macbook Air I can now see my Hacktintosh and bonjour works to it via file sharing....but from my Hackintoch when I click on finder I do not see anything in SHARED anymore...so I cannot see my Macbook Air...

I've ensured I have nothing in /extra etc. I only have Realtek's downloaded drive (latest) from their website...

Any idea's?

Hmm, from my Macbook Air I can now see my Hacktintosh and bonjour works to it via file sharing....but from my Hackintoch when I click on finder I do not see anything in SHARED anymore...so I cannot see my Macbook Air...

I've ensured I have nothing in /extra etc. I only have Realtek's downloaded drive (latest) from their website...

Any idea's?

I can't test the shared option as I don't have another mac here. But are you trying to use the ifconfig mode AND Realtek's driver? because you only want to be using one solution.

I can't test the shared option as I don't have another mac here. But are you trying to use the ifconfig mode AND Realtek's driver? because you only want to be using one solution.

Oh, I was using both...

The Realtek driver one can download from their website and also the ifconfig install package...

Hmm...so you're suggesting I should use no networking kexts at all on a X58-UD5 motherboard and network should work, then with the ifconfig etc. command I should then have bonjour?

Thanks....?

Oh, I was using both...

The Realtek driver one can download from their website and also the ifconfig install package...

Hmm...so you're suggesting I should use no networking kexts at all on a X58-UD5 motherboard and network should work, then with the ifconfig etc. command I should then have bonjour?

Thanks....?

For me, the on-board ethernet works natively with SnowLeopard it's only Bonjour networking that didn't function. So this thread was born with the need for a solution and now we have either the Realtek driver or the ifconfig method.

If your networking doesn't work at all then I suggest asking someone else who is also using the X58-UD5 how they got it working. But yes, ifconfig will activate bonjour on your already active network adapter.

blackosx,

Thanks for the latest update on Bonjour.

I took your recommendation and installed it on SL10.6.1 On checking,I did not find the file ifconfig in /usr/local/bin :D .

However I did find folder bonjour64 in /Library/StartupItems. There is a ifconfig file in /sbin.

As such I am not sure whether have installed the Bonjour update properly.

How do I verify whether Bonjour is running properly with this update?

Thanks and have a nice day.

blackosx,

Thanks for the latest update on Bonjour.

I took your recommendation and installed it on SL10.6.1 On checking,I did not find the file ifconfig in /usr/local/bin :) .

However I did find folder bonjour64 in /Library/StartupItems. There is a ifconfig file in /sbin.

As such I am not sure whether have installed the Bonjour update properly.

How do I verify whether Bonjour is running properly with this update?

Thanks and have a nice day.

I have just cleared the files from my system an re-installed with Realtek Bonjour enabler and bonour64 was installed to /Library/StartupItems/ and ifconfg was installed to /usr/local/bin/.

You can verify Bonjour is running by typing ifconfig in terminal and looking at the line beginning en0: (or whatever your active network is on). It will look something like this....

en0: flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500

Read along the line and look for PROMISC. That shows it working.