Bonjour Networking with Realtek drivers & ifconfig workaround for Snow Leopard

blackosx

152 posts in this topic

It's nice to have a couple of backup systems to play with... At least you're not hack-less.. ;)

The EP45-dq6 is pretty similar so yes it should take similar kexts, but try 100% vanilla. it rocks!

Everything works in 64-bit on my system other than Bonjour networking.

As for my DSDT thread, it's basic and no master class, but it serves as an introduction to get you started. ;)

BJMoose,

Just to be sure- the issue with the latest round of "64-bit capable" r1000 kexts is that they corrupt the Gigabyte cmos, for all subsequent restarts. The LAN ports are not correctly recognized by the bios, anymore, and thus aren't available.

To recover the LAN ports, just switch off the power-supply, or disconnect the mains. Wait until the blue "Clear CMOS" light on the rear button flickers off-on-off, then press it in.

Switch back on the mains/power-supply, start up, and select a stored profile or reconfigure the bios.

So far, nobody has produced a working 64-bit r1000 kext for Gigabyte ex58 boards.

BJMoose,

Just to be sure- the issue with the latest round of "64-bit capable" r1000 kexts is that they corrupt the Gigabyte cmos, for all subsequent restarts. The LAN ports are not correctly recognized by the bios, anymore, and thus aren't available.

To recover the LAN ports, just switch off the power-supply, or disconnect the mains. Wait until the blue "Clear CMOS" light on the rear button flickers off-on-off, then press it in.

Switch back on the mains/power-supply, start up, and select a stored profile or reconfigure the bios.

So far, nobody has produced a working 64-bit r1000 kext for Gigabyte ex58 boards.

Hi BM2,

Unfortunately, I tried that first. I have an EFI-X that requires me to do that whenever I lost my module due to experimenting. Just in case, I tried it again and no joy. Left it unplugged for quite a while and it really appears to be a fritzed LAN. Thanks for trying though.

rest assured son - you're stoopid. 64bit has lots of speed benefits.

Stop spreading falsehoods, you will make your head hurt. 64 bit is for servers (whom use 32gb of ram). If it is not on the $3000 MacPro, why the phook would you need it. I guarantee it, there are less then a dozen people on this forum whom have -consistently- used more then 8gb of ram on the hackintosh. 64 bit is garbage.

It's nice to have a couple of backup systems to play with... At least you're not hack-less.. :D

The EP45-dq6 is pretty similar so yes it should take similar kexts, but try 100% vanilla. it rocks!

Everything works in 64-bit on my system other than Bonjour networking.

As for my DSDT thread, it's basic and no master class, but it serves as an introduction to get you started. :)

Well Newegg is great. Just ordered the new mb yesterday AM and it already arrived this afternoon. I decided on the same mb (x58-ud4p) as I had before. When I get home, I'll install this thing and see what happens. I sure hope I can get RealtekR1000.kext to work from my E/E folder. I really want this to be a 100% vanilla system. I'll let you know how things turn out.

rest assured son, you do realize that you need a 64 bit system to address more than 4GB of RAM, right? I don't know exactly what Leopard did to allow more RAM than 4GB, but it does have some 64 bit capabilities which is what allows it. 64 bit definitely has its advantages when running virtual machines and heavy graphics and video apps that use lots of ram, and a 32 bit system can fill up 3 GB pretty easily (all that is available when more than 3GB are installed). If you don't have anymore information to contribute on how to get blackosx's problem fixed, I suggest you stop insulting others in this thread. I also suggest that everyone else stop bashing him so there are no problems.

Lets get his problem fixed guys!

BTW, I went back and booted SL myself and found that I also can not use Bonjour with R1000.kext. I was getting my Leopard and SL systems mixed up.

As I mentioned earlier, my new x58-ud4p arrived this afternoon to replace the one that went on the fritz. Installed it this evening with SL and it works great. RealtekR1000 (psystar 32bit version) works every time in S/L/E, but for the life of me, I can't get it to work on E/E.

I've tried dozens of permutations including using permissions via terminal on the E/E folder itself and on each individual kext within the E/E folder. I've created mkexts with just E/E, with just S/L/E and on E/E (combining all the kexts on S/L/E and E/E). I've tried every kind of chown/chmod variation that I can think of. I've touched and blessed everything, but still can't get any ethernet via E/E.

I did discover that Chameleon doesn't like NullCpuPowerManagement.kext with RealtekR1000. Gets my a KP each and every time. S/L/E does work great, as I said, and I've got Bonjour is working fine too. It would make my day though to get ethernet to work on this system through my Chameleon USB stick so I'd have a true 100% vanilla system. So if anyone can think of something I've haven't done, I'd appreciate the input.

I've tried dozens of permutations including using permissions via terminal on the E/E folder itself and on each individual kext within the E/E folder. I've created mkexts with just E/E, with just S/L/E and on E/E (combining all the kexts on S/L/E and E/E). I've tried every kind of chown/chmod variation that I can think of. I've touched and blessed everything, but still can't get any ethernet via E/E.

I did discover that Chameleon doesn't like NullCpuPowerManagement.kext with RealtekR1000. Gets my a KP each and every time. S/L/E does work great, as I said, and I've got Bonjour is working fine too.

I find it interesting that different people have different experiences.

On my UD5, NullCPUPowerManagement plays nice with the ReakteKR1000.kext ... no KP's. I need the Null so that my computer sleeps.

I also found that R1000 needed to be in S/L/E .... works in 32 bit mode but not 64.

I find it interesting that different people have different experiences.

On my UD5, NullCPUPowerManagement plays nice with the ReakteKR1000.kext ... no KP's. I need the Null so that my computer sleeps.

I also found that R1000 needed to be in S/L/E .... works in 32 bit mode but not 64.

Hi, I probably wasn't clear enough in what I was saying. If I have RealtekR and NullCPU on the same Chameleon USB E/E folder, I always get the KP. If NullCPU... is in E/E and RealtekR is in S/L/E, everything is fine.

Hi, I probably wasn't clear enough in what I was saying. If I have RealtekR and NullCPU on the same Chameleon USB E/E folder, I always get the KP. If NullCPU... is in E/E and RealtekR is in S/L/E, everything is fine.

Ah ... yes ... I understand.

My Null is in E/E. When I put Realtek in E/E I don't get KP ... my ethernet does not work. :)

It would make my day though to get ethernet to work on this system through my Chameleon USB stick so I'd have a true 100% vanilla system.

Putting a third party extension in its proper place (/S/L/E) still leaves you with a 100% vanilla system you have not altered any system .kext by doing it.

My Null is in E/E. When I put Realtek in E/E I don't get KP ... my ethernet does not work. :)

If you want to use Realtek1000 from /E/E you have to edit /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Info.plist so that you have at the end of the file

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>
	<string>Root</string>

Then build and Extensions.mkext that includes both /E/E and /S/L/E

kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.kext.caches/Startup/Extensions.mkext /System/Library/Extensions/ /Extra/ExtraExtensions/

I renamed /ExtraExtensions to /Extra/ExtraExtension so I don't get KP on boot when using PC EFI 10.2 or Chameleon 2 RC2. You can put you created Extensions.mkext in /Extra too, it doesn't matter.

@BJMoose:

That was quick service to get your new mobo.. !

and good to hear you have got it back up and running. :thumbsup_anim:

I am running both NullCPUPowerManagement.kext and RealtekR1000.kext from /E/E and network & bonjour works.

@Don Quijote

I haven't edited any info.plists to get it working.

I stick by what i did here and here

I haven't touched my retail install in any way, /S/L/E is as Apple intended.

Hope this helps :)

I have motherboard GA-EP45-DS3R with 2xRelatek 8111C lan. I have network with dsdt patch, lan works but i don't have bonjour. I copied RealtekR1000.kext to /E/E and rebuild kextcache with kext utylity but i do not see any difference. Lan work but bonjour not..

I have motherboard GA-EP45-DS3R with 2xRelatek 8111C lan. I have network with dsdt patch, lan works but i don't have bonjour. I copied RealtekR1000.kext to /E/E and rebuild kextcache with kext utylity but i do not see any difference. Lan work but bonjour not..

You definitely used the RealtekR1000.kext from this post? And you are booting the 32-bit kernel? and you have permission correctly set?

You definitely used the RealtekR1000.kext from this post? And you are booting the 32-bit kernel? and you have permission correctly set?/quote]

Yes, kext is from this post but i have 64bit kernel. Permission correctly set.

Anyone tried those realtively new original Realtek drivers from their homepage ?

Realtek 8111 Drivers

The date mentioned is 2009/8/11 !

But be careful the RTGNICv2.0.3.pkg overwrites the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext in IONetworkingFamily.kext / Plugins without further asking ! So it might be good to have a backup of those kext handy. ;-)

Haven't tried the kext myself, therefore I don't know if this kext already supports 64bits, or supports Bonjour.

Bye,

Markus

Anyone tried those realtively new original Realtek drivers from their homepage ?

Realtek 8111 Drivers

The date mentioned is 2009/8/11 !

But be careful the RTGNICv2.0.3.pkg overwrites the AppleRTL8169Ethernet.kext in IONetworkingFamily.kext / Plugins without further asking ! So it might be good to have a backup of those kext handy. ;-)

Haven't tried the kext myself, therefore I don't know if this kext already supports 64bits, or supports Bonjour.

Bye,

Markus

Only 32 bit.

if you are using 64bit kernel and want timemachine working (thanks to Mike from efixusers forum!):

- use genuine appleR8169.kext

- go and have a look here: http://www.stanford.edu/~dub/macstuff/ you'll figure out why time machine is not working with realtek RT8111x...

- download ifconfig from the website, extract the archive somewher and launch it in terminal: ./ifconfig en0 promisc as per the readme, then type ifconfig you'll see in youer en0 string PROMISC appeared and your time capsule as well in your time machine/airport utility!!! ;)

- if you want it to load automatically, what I did I used lingo to create a launchd com

.plist (use system com. in the list) and copied ifconfig in /system/library/startupitems

After a lot of pain with extensions, caches clearing, KP everywhere I figured out that vmware is not working in 64bit mode.... :)

I'll second using ifconfig as well, since it's painless and you don't have to hassle with making sure your .mkext file incorporates both locations every time.

I'm doing it a bit different however. instead of making a plist I turned it into a launchable Applescript that can go into your startupitems -

do shell script "sudo /Applications/Utilities/ifconfig en0 promisc" password "XXXXX" with administrator privileges

with XXXXX being your admin password. while i put ifconfig in Applications/Utilities, feel free to move it wherever you want so long as you change it in the script.