Try to install SL on a GA-P35-DS3

derpuma

166 posts in this topic

Your sig says you have an EP-35... in your post you linked me to the F12 BIOS for the P-35 (P-, not EP-). Do you have an EP-35 and are running the P-35 BIOS on it? I have a GA-EP35-DS3P rev. 2.1.

I sent you my email if you can send me your DSDT. Also your com.apple.boot.plist would be interesting so I can see your 9600GT string. You just leave the graphics tab blank in the Koalala patcher, then get the 9600GT working using the plist?

I am really baffled. I just completely ran the directions again from the Koalala DSDT through the bootable USB. And I got the gray screen of death again. I seem to be the only person whose USB stick hangs before starting the install. Do you have to use 10.5.8? On the same system you're installing SL on? (I boot off an XP HD on the SL target machine to build the DSDT, but then go over to the machine in my sig to prep the USB stick). I'm sure I have a good SL, I installed it on my Apple Mac Mini and Azureus accepted it after checking it for seeding. Anything else I could be doing wrong or any other way to diagnose it?

It's an P35 you are right, but i have flashed it with the Energy Saving bios (from Rev. 2.1 possible).

Then it's an EP35, because the difference is only the (E)nergyP35.

I'll change my sig, Thanks! ;)

I have managed to build a p35-ds3 system that is rock steady without any KP's which s great.

However I cant get graphic card to work correctly using DSDT of EFI strings its 8800GT 512 has any one had any joy with this card ?

Also no joy with sound of any kind.

One thing I've noticed is that I cannot get it to boot in 32 bit even after booting -x32 or changing boot.plist it always boots 64bit.

I use a atheros wireless card which works fine in 10.5.7 but dont seem to be able to get it to work in snow but I'm guessing this is a lack of 64bits drivers.

I followed BlackOSX guide for my build.

I have this card working from a DSDT.aml. Ultimately, I had to select some options that the hardware profiler did not show (PGEP for sure, trying to remember others). I created DSDT.aml's for pretty much any combination I thought might work and booted with each one until it worked. I think #6 was the one ;)

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

--mak

I've installed SL and created a DSDT file from my bios. When I boot with -v -x32 I get as far as:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

I can't see any other errors, but nothing else happens after this point. anyone got any ideas what is wrong?

cheers

Try this

You, my friend, are a gentleman and a scholar.

That did it - I've now got working sound - Horray!

My problem was (I believe) that I was following blackosx's guide for a slightly different mobo -- and his instructions for creating the DSDT.aml suggested ticking the use HD audio checkbox. I've unchecked that, and using the 3outs2ins regular headphone, I've now got internal speaker and headphone entries, which give me sound at the usual volume.

Now .. on to getting Bonjour to work -- thanks again!

I've installed SL and created a DSDT file from my bios. When I boot with -v -x32 I get as far as:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start - waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

I can't see any other errors, but nothing else happens after this point. anyone got any ideas what is wrong?

cheers

I also see that message on bootup .. it's one of the last messages I see before the screen switches to the blue background just before loading the desktop. I don't think there's necessarily anything "wrong" with that message .. my system seems to be working fine even though I see it.

Did you install any kexts? I'd suggest trying to remove them all accept fakesmc.kext. If you haven't already done so, maybe try adding an EFI string in your Boot.plist for your video card.

cheers

I also see that message on bootup .. it's one of the last messages I see before the screen switches to the blue background just before loading the desktop. I don't think there's necessarily anything "wrong" with that message .. my system seems to be working fine even though I see it.

Did you install any kexts? I'd suggest trying to remove them all accept fakesmc.kext. If you haven't already done so, maybe try adding an EFI string in your Boot.plist for your video card.

I had KP when booting in -X32 until I put the EFI string for graphics in, it would boot fine in x64 though.

USBChamBoot v0.91 for Gigabyte EP35-DS3 rev2.1 (BIOS F2 only!)

Zero mod installation

Status

Sadly the Preboot thing does not work with CD's at this moment. As far as I got it: the main problem seems to be "cdboot". The currently available "cdboot"s seem to have issues finding Kernels, and/or custom DSDT when booting from CD, thus preventing retail DVDs from booting.

This also means we cannot use EPIC for creating our Boot CD's at the moment (the concept is nice, but well, sorry dude) because it requires "cdboot".

What we can do: boot from harddisk using a prepared USB boot image. Here we go.

Requirements

• Snow Leopard Retail DVD
  • USB Stick (at least 128MB)
  • 2 blank partition (1x7GB for the Snow Leopard installation, and 1x at least 15GB to install to)
  • Gigabyte EP35-DS3 with BIOS firmware F2 (get here and flash before)
  • nVidia Graphics (tested with GeForce 7600GT), might also do with ATI but that has not been tested, feedback is welcome
  • A glas of Balvenie

Features

• 32bit only at the moment
  • Triaxis' SleepEnabler.kext (sleep works flawless, deep-sleep not tested yet)
  • Netkas' Natit.kext for Snow Leo (dual heading sleep works!)
  • Netkas' fakesmc.kext for Snow Leo
  • Tmongkol's legacy sound for ALC889a/ALC885 (and yes: it works!)
  • Psystar's OpenHaltRestart.kext
  • Chameleon 2.0 r432
  • Netkas PC EFI 10.1

Short How To

• Flash BIOS to version F2
  • enable AHCI in BIOS
  • restore the legally bought (sic!) retail DVD to a partition, a USB stick or whatever, but not to a DVD!!
  • restore USBChamBoot image to a USBStick
  • Boot from USBChamBoot stick (hit F12 during initialization of your motherboard, and choose harddisk, and choose your USB Stick)

Issues

• 32bit only at the moment (will boot into 32bit automatically)
  • don't install additional fonts or languages - additionspeechvoices.pkg might give errors during installation

Features of the EP35-DS3 rev2.1

• ALC889a for Audio
  • SATA Raid ICH9
  • P35 chipset
  • Realtec Gigabit LAN

Using with other Gigabyte motherboards

• find a list of other gigabyte boards here (click here), that might match the EP35-DS3 hardware specs.
  • my dmg image could in some cases only need a different DSDT.aml file (just replace it in the dmg file). BIOS to DSDT.aml extraction can easily be done using Koalala's tool, would then only need the common fixes (2xlength "4" to "2", and "AZAL" to "HDEF", and HDEF 889a integration)
  • on a first view the EP35-DS3R (see here) might even be having the exact same BIOS, but as this has not been tested, feedback is welcome

Download (8MB) here: http://rapidshare.com/files/274454265/USBC...a_v0.91.dmg.zip (boot screen resolution fixed, Audio ALC889a for Mac Pro fixed)

Download (8MB) here: http://rapidshare.com/files/274443260/USBC...rd_v0.8.dmg.zip

First Thank you all for your tutorials and hard work!

I have EP35-DS3 rev 2.1

I pached F4 bios for mentioned board - and maded DSDT.aml with GFX nVidia 8800gt 512mb, LAN, and Sound HDA ALC889a... all works except ... SOUND!

tryed all ! derpuma method, EFIstring, ALCIiject - AppleHDA, all of those series of LegacyHDA 885 (ALC889a)

and nothing! NO SOUND!

HELP! HELP! HELP!

regards!

I have EP35-DS3 rev 2.1

I pached F4 bios for mentioned board - and maded DSDT.aml with GFX nVidia 8800gt 512mb, LAN, and Sound HDA ALC889a... all works except ... SOUND!

tryed all ! derpuma method, EFIstring, ALCIiject - AppleHDA, all of those series of LegacyHDA 885 (ALC889a)

and nothing! NO SOUND!

HELP! HELP! HELP!

regards!

What Yoda says:

"Reading yourself, you must"

So why not just reading the post above yours?

P.S. turn off your caps lock, plz.

I have EP35-DS3 rev 2.1

and nothing! NO SOUND!

HELP! HELP! HELP!

regards!

You need HD 4outs2ins from here.

Topic here.

on my GA-EP35-ds3l, strange enough, I have noticed that if I disable:

CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)

CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2)

CPU EIST Function

in my BIOS the sound in Snow Leopard doesn't work anymore, can't really explain it right now, I am puzzled, I get a message at boot that basically says is unable to load the Kext.

If I go back and re-enabled them, it then works, not that those options bothers me too much but I thought it may help some of you.

I have managed to build a p35-ds3 system that is rock steady without any KP's which s great.

However I cant get graphic card to work correctly using DSDT of EFI strings its 8800GT 512 has any one had any joy with this card ?

Yes, me. Have a Gigabyte GeForce 8800GT 512MB card running with a patched DSDT.aml file.

Have dual display support even during installation with my DSDT.aml file.

Also no joy with sound of any kind.

Running with patched DSDT.aml and HDAEnabler.kext and LegacyHDA.kext from tmongkols thread.

One thing I've noticed is that I cannot get it to boot in 32 bit even after booting -x32 or changing boot.plist it always boots 64bit.

No problem here with booting with 32bit Kernel. Didn't even try 64bit Kernel as there is no reason to do so.

I followed BlackOSX guide for my build.

I did, too. Installed from an USB stick with installed chameleon bootloader.

After the installation finished i had to disable spotlight and run kextutility to rebuild the extensions.mkext file and fix acls on the extensions.

with small caps --- tryed not working... as you read i have f4 bios... ;)

right, so lemme summarize:

ximekon => BIOS F2 => clean DSDT.aml => working everything (nVidia generic Graphics, Sound, LAN)

=> able to solve issues by himself => but distributing his solution for other's convenience

You => BIOS F4 => DSDT.aml => no generic solution, not working sound

=> unable to solve issues by yourself => CAPSLOCKING people to solve your probs, because you dont wanna flash to F2

right?

right, so lemme summarize:

ximekon => BIOS F2 => clean DSDT.aml => working everything (nVidia generic Graphics, Sound, LAN)

=> able to solve issues by himself => but distributing his solution for other's convenience

You => BIOS F4 => DSDT.aml => no generic solution, not working sound

=> unable to solve issues by yourself => CAPSLOCKING people to solve your probs, because you dont wanna flash to F2

right?

no i dont want to flash F2... i have my reasons... thank you...

Am I the only person who gets this grey screen of death when I boot the USB stick? I get the grey screen of death, the whole grey screen of death, and nothing but the grey screen of death.

This is a GA-EP35-DS3P with F6 BIOS. Anyone else get this working? Based on the handy guide here http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&u...e%2F%3Fp%3D2512 I am constructing my dsdt.aml using gigabit ether at PEX 5, graphics at PCI 0 (tried 7300GT and 9600GT, with and without PEGP though my tree doesn't say PEGP). Audio I choose ALC889a. When I boot the USB stick to try to install SL, it crunches along for a minute, then I get an all gray screen with a mouse arrow, and it hangs there. The arrow eventually changes to a spinning rainbow circle. I tried -v on boot, nothing obvious in the messages, then it goes to the gray screen and stays there.

Can anyone help? I have been beating on this with no change from the grey screen. I do trash my Extensions.mkext. The verbose boot last thing it says is something about the MAC address. All I can guess is the graphics card. Maybe I should just buy a different graphics card and a different motherboard. The GA-EP35-DS3P is a little odd in that it is the only Gigabyte board with ICH9R and Gigabit LAN. I suppose its closest cousin is the GA-EP35-DS3R. Anyway I am really out of ideas on this.

Hey All,

RE: 32bit - 64bit

I can load up in 64bit to the desktop with no KP's. Stable run.

I cannot load in 32bit. Seems that SL loads 64bit no matter what flag you use.

I tried installing from both, a mounted DMG and from the retail disk and neither made a difference.

Any Ideas?

RE: Sound

I was finally able to get sound ALC889a (885) with DSDT patch & LegacyHDA.kext in Chameleon/Extra/Extensions!

I used Patcher02Beta5 (windows program) and created my custom DSDT with Network & Audio only. I then used iaslMe.dmg to de/recompile from aml to dsl then back to aml. It would appear that there is an error when selecting our ALC889a audio with HDEF ticked.

It creates this line;

layout-id 889 => 0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00

But it should be this line;

layout-id 885 => 0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00

You'll need to change the 79 to 75. This is found in your DSDT.dsl under Device (HDEF)

I am also using the green labeled LegacyHDA.kext (3outs/2ins regular headphones) from How to patch guide...

Download link; http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=53274

I pretty much tried all of the Legacy kexts...and damn there are A TON of them! :) This is the only one that would work for me.

flyguyjake,

Thanks for sharing with us your experience on HDEF with SL 32-64.

I am curious with the LegacyHDA.kext that work for you on ALC889a (885), how many mic inputs did you get? There is only one on mine for backpanel only. The front mic input does not work.

Thanks

Am I the only person who gets this grey screen of death when I boot the USB stick? I get the grey screen of death, the whole grey screen of death, and nothing but the grey screen of death.

This is a GA-EP35-DS3P with F6 BIOS. Anyone else get this working? Based on the handy guide here http://redirectingat.com/?id=292X457&u...e%2F%3Fp%3D2512 I am constructing my dsdt.aml using gigabit ether at PEX 5, graphics at PCI 0 (tried 7300GT and 9600GT, with and without PEGP though my tree doesn't say PEGP). Audio I choose ALC889a. When I boot the USB stick to try to install SL, it crunches along for a minute, then I get an all gray screen with a mouse arrow, and it hangs there. The arrow eventually changes to a spinning rainbow circle. I tried -v on boot, nothing obvious in the messages, then it goes to the gray screen and stays there.

Can anyone help? I have been beating on this with no change from the grey screen. I do trash my Extensions.mkext. The verbose boot last thing it says is something about the MAC address. All I can guess is the graphics card. Maybe I should just buy a different graphics card and a different motherboard. The GA-EP35-DS3P is a little odd in that it is the only Gigabyte board with ICH9R and Gigabit LAN. I suppose its closest cousin is the GA-EP35-DS3R. Anyway I am really out of ideas on this.

Yes you can get it working on ds3P. I found it is fussy but does work, I used USB Hard disk but usb drive should work OK. Re dsdt I could not get the graphics to work and I used EFI string in the beginning of the com.apple.Boot.Plist before the other entries if it was after it was missed as chamelion loading happens before the efi string is read-I think not sure biut it did make the difference between working or not for me(I think that is why you have the gray screen the video is not loaded correctly). Also it took a few attempts and I found I had to zero the drive not just erase/partition otherwise the installer stopped mid install. FOLLOW Blackosx's guide exactly and yoy should be able to get it working.

cheers

Hey All,

RE: 32bit - 64bit

I can load up in 64bit to the desktop with no KP's. Stable run.

I cannot load in 32bit. Seems that SL loads 64bit no matter what flag you use.

I tried installing from both, a mounted DMG and from the retail disk and neither made a difference.

Any Ideas?

RE: Sound

I was finally able to get sound ALC889a (885) with DSDT patch & LegacyHDA.kext in Chameleon/Extra/Extensions!

I used Patcher02Beta5 (windows program) and created my custom DSDT with Network & Audio only. I then used iaslMe.dmg to de/recompile from aml to dsl then back to aml. It would appear that there is an error when selecting our ALC889a audio with HDEF ticked.

It creates this line;

layout-id 889 => 0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00

But it should be this line;

layout-id 885 => 0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00

You'll need to change the 79 to 75. This is found in your DSDT.dsl under Device (HDEF)

I am also using the green labeled LegacyHDA.kext (3outs/2ins regular headphones) from How to patch guide...

Download link; http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=53274

I pretty much tried all of the Legacy kexts...and damn there are A TON of them! :P This is the only one that would work for me.

You are the MAN!

i finaly fixed my sound reading your post!

in my case when i decompiled dsdt.aml i get this:

"layout-id", 
                           /**** Is ResourceTemplate, but EndTag not at buffer end ****/ Buffer (0x04)
                           {
                               0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

and i changed to look like this...

"layout-id", 
                           {
                               0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

Used same same kext like you for Extra folder and sound works!

Thanks again for pointing this out!

And on the end i'm on EP35-DS3 v2.1

Yes you can get it working on ds3P. I found it is fussy but does work, I used USB Hard disk but usb drive should work OK. Re dsdt I could not get the graphics to work and I used EFI string in the beginning of the com.apple.Boot.Plist before the other entries if it was after it was missed as chamelion loading happens before the efi string is read-I think not sure biut it did make the difference between working or not for me(I think that is why you have the gray screen the video is not loaded correctly). Also it took a few attempts and I found I had to zero the drive not just erase/partition otherwise the installer stopped mid install. FOLLOW Blackosx's guide exactly and yoy should be able to get it working.

cheers

Have followed the guide exactly a dozen times and consistently get hung at gray screen during initial boot off my 16GB USB key. Built the dsdt with no graphics, inserted graphics device into com.apple.Boot.plist. Using a graphics EFI string I know works perfectly on another mac.

I appreciate the help from you and the other guy who got it working on a P35-DS3P. Have not heard from anyone with my exact board, the EP35-DS3P. Though both P35-DS3P and EP35-DS3P have same Gigabit Lan Controller and ALC889A Audio controller. Have not heard anyone else getting the gray screen hang near the end of the USB boot.

I guess I am prepared to guess it is graphics. Tried the Koalala with the 7300GT. Tried the 9600GT with no dsdt graphics and EFI string in boot.plist. I think I have to give up on the blackOSX technique and try the digital_dreamer script http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=149505

You are the MAN!

i finaly fixed my sound reading your post!

in my case when i decompiled dsdt.aml i get this:

"layout-id", 
                           {
                               0x79, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

and i changed to look like this...

"layout-id", 
                           {
                               0x75, 0x03, 0x00, 0x00
                           }, 

Used same same kext like you for Extra folder and sound works!

Thanks again for pointing this out!

And on the end i'm on EP35-DS3 v2.1

Success! Sound is finally working! ;)

Thanks for publishing the solution= there is a lot of confusion out there.

My machine: GA-P35-DS3P rev. 2.0; BIOS vers. 12

Success is sweet! :D

GA-P35C-DS3R

I have finally got a fully up and running 100% Vanilla (untouched) install. I can boot in both 32bit & 64bit.

I followed Blackosx guide found here Guide using the BootCD method & Chameleon RC3!

I used blackosx bootcd found here BootCD ... So simple, just pop it in, boot it up and then swap out your Snow Leopard retail dvd at the prompt. This method installs a Perfect "100% Vanilla" system.

Blackosx provdies all the necessary green labeled kext found here Support Files

I had to also add JMicronATA.kext to Chameleon/Extra/Extensions. If you have an IDE DVD drive you will need it to access it.

USBChamBoot v0.91 for Gigabyte EP35-DS3 rev2.1 (BIOS F2 only!)

Zero mod installation

Status

Sadly the Preboot thing does not work with CD's at this moment. As far as I got it: the main problem seems to be "cdboot". The currently available "cdboot"s seem to have issues finding Kernels, and/or custom DSDT when booting from CD, thus preventing retail DVDs from booting.

This also means we cannot use EPIC for creating our Boot CD's at the moment (the concept is nice, but well, sorry dude) because it requires "cdboot".

What we can do: boot from harddisk using a prepared USB boot image. Here we go.

Requirements

• Snow Leopard Retail DVD
  • USB Stick (at least 128MB)
  • 2 blank partition (1x7GB for the Snow Leopard installation, and 1x at least 15GB to install to)
  • Gigabyte EP35-DS3 with BIOS firmware F2 (get here and flash before)
  • nVidia Graphics (tested with GeForce 7600GT), might also do with ATI but that has not been tested, feedback is welcome
  • A glas of Balvenie

Features

• 32bit only at the moment
  • Triaxis' SleepEnabler.kext (sleep works flawless, deep-sleep not tested yet)
  • Netkas' Natit.kext for Snow Leo (dual heading sleep works!)
  • Netkas' fakesmc.kext for Snow Leo
  • Tmongkol's legacy sound for ALC889a/ALC885 (and yes: it works!)
  • Psystar's OpenHaltRestart.kext
  • Chameleon 2.0 r432
  • Netkas PC EFI 10.1

Short How To

• Flash BIOS to version F2
  • enable AHCI in BIOS
  • restore the legally bought (sic!) retail DVD to a partition, a USB stick or whatever, but not to a DVD!!
  • restore USBChamBoot image to a USBStick
  • Boot from USBChamBoot stick (hit F12 during initialization of your motherboard, and choose harddisk, and choose your USB Stick)

Issues

• 32bit only at the moment (will boot into 32bit automatically)
  • don't install additional fonts or languages - additionspeechvoices.pkg might give errors during installation

Features of the EP35-DS3 rev2.1

• ALC889a for Audio
  • SATA Raid ICH9
  • P35 chipset
  • Realtec Gigabit LAN

Using with other Gigabyte motherboards

• find a list of other gigabyte boards here (click here), that might match the EP35-DS3 hardware specs.
  • my dmg image could in some cases only need a different DSDT.aml file (just replace it in the dmg file). BIOS to DSDT.aml extraction can easily be done using Koalala's tool, would then only need the common fixes (2xlength "4" to "2", and "AZAL" to "HDEF", and HDEF 889a integration)
  • on a first view the EP35-DS3R (see here) might even be having the exact same BIOS, but as this has not been tested, feedback is welcome

Download (8MB) here: http://rapidshare.com/files/274454265/USBC...a_v0.91.dmg.zip (boot screen resolution fixed, Audio ALC889a for Mac Pro fixed)

Download (8MB) here: http://rapidshare.com/files/274443260/USBC...rd_v0.8.dmg.zip

Has anybody been able to get deep sleep (from Apple menu) to work??

I am using sleep enabler but Apple menu sleep causes a reboot.

Any suggestions?

Thx

Guide[/url] using the BootCD method & Chameleon RC3!

I used blackosx bootcd found here BootCD ... So simple, just pop it in, boot it up and then swap out your Snow Leopard retail dvd at the prompt. This method installs a Perfect "100% Vanilla" system.

I had to also add JMicronATA.kext to Chameleon/Extra/Extensions. If you have an IDE DVD drive you will need it to access it.

Great news, as I have a very similar board. I installed SL easily using a different method, but have no network or IDE. Sound worked. I'll try again with Blackosx' method.