All my mp4 movies have suddenly become 'protected'

Uncle_Pinny

7 posts in this topic

Hi there.

Weird one this - not sure if it's got anything to do with Snow Leopard - more a migration issue?

Just installed the 10A432 without a glitch.

Use the migration assistant to move all of my files from my old Leopard HD to my new SL install. Wiped the brand new SL user account (which was empty) and started to use my transfered user account in SL.

Problem - most of my dvd's that I handbraked to m4v files will not open in Quicktime. I get an error saying "the document could not be opened" and they appear in Finder as 'protected mpeg-4 file'.

This happens to the more recent encodes I've done - some play fine. All use AAC H.264 and have high bitrates.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree here but it looks like the ones that play have only 2 channels (i.e. AAC audio). I can't seem to play any that I encoded as passthrough AC3.

Any ideas?

Thanks

There was a reason for handbrake having two audio tracks, 1 aac and 1 ac3, in the default preset. :)

If you want to open them in QuickTime Player, you will probably need a 64bit version of a52codec.component. Or you can always set QuickTime Player to run as a 32bit app.

There was a reason for handbrake having two audio tracks, 1 aac and 1 ac3, in the default preset. :)

If you want to open them in QuickTime Player, you will probably need a 64bit version of a52codec.component. Or you can always set QuickTime Player to run as a 32bit app.

THanks for the info.

They always played in my Leopard install though without a problem. How come I would need a new component for Quicktime - is it now running in 64bit mode in SL?

Thanks

THanks for the info.

They always played in my Leopard install though without a problem. How come I would need a new component for Quicktime - is it now running in 64bit mode in SL?

Thanks

I don't think that's correct.

Have you tried changing the permisions on the files?

Select whole folder > apple click > info > click padlock > enter password > change perm to read&write for all > click cog icon > click apply to all files

D.

THanks for the info.

Thanks

Obviously because QuickTime X is a new beast that have little to with the old QuickTime when playing mp4…

Obviously because QuickTime X is a new beast that have little to with the old QuickTime when playing mp4…

You're correct.

Any 3rd party codecs would have to be installed again as its a new build.

See here . and codecs available here

Appologies for doubting. :unsure:

D.

You're correct.

Any 3rd party codecs would have to be installed again as its a new build.

See here . and codecs available here

Appologies for doubting. :mellow:

D.

Hmm - tried all that and nothing. Just doesn't seem to like any ac3 m4v files. That top link - he says to copy and paste stuff into terminal but that doesn't seem to do anything either. I can see what look like the correct perian components in the Library/Quicktime and Audio folders so no idea why I'm not getting any luck.