[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Hi Blackos,

I overclocked my CPU.

I didnt really know how to do it, i read some posts and changed FSB to 430 in bios and added a bit of voltage in bios (1.43v) to be exact. I now have 3.36GHZ in BIOS (originally q8300 2.5) so that's cool.

But OSX still shows 2.5.... benchmarks are faster, but i was just wondering if there is a way to recognize 3.36ghz in osx?

also if you know the right way to overclock on my board, please tell me.

thanx a lot!

so har my hack with your guide is working pretty stable!!! no crushes for 2 weeks now!

thanx a lot man

Be careful Janus_A. Just changing a few values in the BIOS without stress-testing can lead to a burnt out processor/motherboard/RAM. And at the very least data can become corrupted on the hard drive.

Here's a guide I followed:

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/198072...-c2d-duals.html

Basically you are trying to increase processor/ram speed with as little voltage increase as possible, to keep the temps down, while keeping data integrity.... Stress testing is very important.

thanx man,

well i read a post about overclocking my q8300 and kind of tried inputing the safe values into bios, its running stable... i didnt do any modif in ram section...

all i did is increases FSB from 333 to 430 and increased vcore from 1.2 to 1.43.... maybe i should minimize it a bit?

the cpu is running at aroun 39-43 degrees,

how can i stress test it?

i read a siple command in terminal like "yes ? /dev/null" which increased cpu speed to 56-69 degrees, but didnt crash the pc...

i still would like to get the 3.33ghz in about my mac section...

do you know how to do it?

Be careful Janus_A. Just changing a few values in the BIOS without stress-testing can lead to a burnt out processor/motherboard/RAM. And at the very least data can become corrupted on the hard drive.

Here's a guide I followed:

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/198072...-c2d-duals.html

Basically you are trying to increase processor/ram speed with as little voltage increase as possible, to keep the temps down, while keeping data integrity.... Stress testing is very important.

thanx man,

well i read a post about overclocking my q8300 and kind of tried inputing the safe values into bios, its running stable... i didnt do any modif in ram section...

all i did is increases FSB from 333 to 430 and increased vcore from 1.2 to 1.43.... maybe i should minimize it a bit?

the cpu is running at aroun 39-43 degrees,

how can i stress test it?

i read a siple command in terminal like "yes ? /dev/null" which increased cpu speed to 56-69 degrees, but didnt crash the pc...

i still would like to get the 3.33ghz in about my mac section...

do you know how to do it?

vcore 1.2 to 1.43 ? Yikes! That's one heck of a voltage jump and seems really high for the speed you are running. My quad-core is running 3.2GHz @ 1.275VC. I stress tested on the Vista side of my Hackintosh using Windows apps mentioned in the overclocking link above. I know there's Mac apps that will work also.. I just don't know about them.

I use Photoshop for mine and yes you can change it for yourself as long as you do as you say and change the colour so it looks different. I can supply you the PSD file of you want?

blackosx,

TQ for your help.

However I don't have Photoshop and have not used this app before :P .

Hope you can do me a favor by editing your PSD file to reflect my sig and send me a copy of the file in PNG format with light green background :P .

Looking forward to yr favourable reply.

TQ & have a nice day.

If your mouse lag only occurs when using QuickTime, i.e. listening to audio in iTunes or watching a video using Quicktime then you need the fix. You can see if this problem is fixable by adding this Disabler.kext in to your /E/E.

Disabler.kext.zip

All it does is disable 'AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext' which is the source of the Quicktime mouse lag bug.

If that works then you can keep that Disabler.kext and then just use a basic ordinary, not 10.6.2 version, of SleepEnabler.kext in E/E (without the mouse lag fix)

Or you can find yourself a , not 10.6.2 version, of SleepEnabler.kext which includes the mouse lag fix. Drop that in /E/E and remove the Disabler.kext I have posted here.

Note: You can only use SleepEnabler (for 10.6.2) on a 10.6.2 install as Apple changed the kernel in 10.6.2.

Hi blackosx.. I have moved house and have only just got back to my randomly choppy UI 8800gt graphics issue. Thanks for your suggestion, however applying the disabler kext doesn't appear to do anything to help my problem. In a rather barbaric fashion deleted my upstreamuser kext to get around the itunes / quick time lag issue btw (might not be as clean as your fix though!).

So, I am out of ideas now... 10.5 was smooth - 10.6 I still get choppy graphics in time machine and in random bits of the UI etc. Should I think about trying a different 8800gt card or do you think this is still a software issue?

Thanks in advance mate.

Johny,

but does your OC CPU show up correctly in OSX abouth this mac?

mine doesnt, do you know how to fix it?

vcore 1.2 to 1.43 ? Yikes! That's one heck of a voltage jump and seems really high for the speed you are running. My quad-core is running 3.2GHz @ 1.275VC. I stress tested on the Vista side of my Hackintosh using Windows apps mentioned in the overclocking link above. I know there's Mac apps that will work also.. I just don't know about them.

Johny,

but does your OC CPU show up correctly in OSX abouth this mac?

mine doesnt, do you know how to fix it?

Yes OC speed does display. But at first it did not. I'm not sure where along the tweaking process it started working. I did not use titan4 suggestion.

Yes OC speed does display. But at first it did not. I'm not sure where along the tweaking process it started working. I did not use titan4 suggestion.

It depends on the booter. Everything after RC4 should detect type&speed automatically. Which one are you using?

Hi blackosx.. I have moved house and have only just got back to my randomly choppy UI 8800gt graphics issue. Thanks for your suggestion, however applying the disabler kext doesn't appear to do anything to help my problem. In a rather barbaric fashion deleted my upstreamuser kext to get around the itunes / quick time lag issue btw (might not be as clean as your fix though!).

So, I am out of ideas now... 10.5 was smooth - 10.6 I still get choppy graphics in time machine and in random bits of the UI etc. Should I think about trying a different 8800gt card or do you think this is still a software issue?

Thanks in advance mate.

juuva, sorry if someone else before has been asking you, but did you try GraphicEnabler key = yes in com.apple.boot.plist? How's your DSDT also? Is there also any code trying to describe your 8800 GT particularly? I will go for a new 8800 GT if it wont cost me any investments (borrow from a friend for a test) - this is a good idea I suppose.

EDIT: juuva, your GA-EP35-DS3P current BIOS version is F2 -> there's a newer version F6 here. (according to the release dates your currently installed BIOS is 2 years old)

I overclocked my CPU.

But OSX still shows 2.5.... benchmarks are faster, but i was just wondering if there is a way to recognize 3.36ghz in osx?

Hi Janis_A

There are plenty of overclocking guides on the internet, and we don't really need to be discussing that here. However, your CPU clock speed should be correctly detected and displayed. Can you check your SMBIOS.plist, as titan4 posted, and see if it includes the SMmaximalclock key/string? if you have, then you can remove it as this figure will determine how the system sees your clock speed.

That reminds me, I need to amend my 'Part 4 - Configure for GA-EP45-DS3L' PDF to now reflect what can be removed from the SMBIOS.plist.

Did the ripple test, chess test and front row test...all worked.

blue screen occurs with all resolutions.

This is driving me nuts. Now I can't boot into system, stuck on DMI pool. All I've done is an install with BootCD v1.07 with the updated DSDT generic 5.

I'm really getting frustrated. I can't even get a basic system working.

Did MORE reading, tried flashing BIOS - no change. I've reinstalled everything so many times.

Please help.

This is driving me nuts. Now I can't boot into system, stuck on DMI pool. All I've done is an install with BootCD v1.07 with the updated DSDT generic 5.

Did MORE reading, tried flashing BIOS - no change. I've reinstalled everything so many times.

Please help.

Why did you try to re-install?

You were up and running with only a video issue.. Did EnzoFX's or my suggestion not work?

From the BootCD, select and boot in to your OS X install. From there install and rebuild your Chameleon partition as the PDF guides part 3 & 4.

EDIT: Or are you saying you can't boot from the BootCD? if so are definitely using a SATA DVD drive?

A couple of people have asked about firewire cards. I use the Startech PEX1394B3 (2 400 and 1 800 ports) and there is also the SIIG LP-N21011-S8 which has 3 Firewire 400 ports, 2 external and 1 internal.

My Startech card works flawlessly. I disabled firewire in my bios and use the external connection for my iSight webcam.

Hi man can you post your dsdt so Blackosx can compare it with mine in the firewire relevant part, cause i have the same firewire card and doesnt works correctly (in any slot blackosx).

im using the last generic dsdst you posted Blackosx with only changes in speedstep for my Q9500

BTW i still have high temperatures

(idle at 52)

thanks in advance

btw. I finally finished my last exam today so I can spam the forum once more :)

Well done titan4. Bet it feels good to have them finished?

I look forward to your spam (which BTW is always good quality) :P

Please help.

Incase anybody has been following ZoZat's problems, he has been speaking with me via PM's and has sorted his problems.

The boot issue with his system getting stuck on 'DMI pool' was due to him trying to setup a dual boot system with Windows7. Although creating a dual boot system with Windows7 is straightforward these days, even on the same HDD, as I have it now. I don't recommend doing it when you are learning how to install OS X 10.6.

His blue screen issue was solved by swapping the DVI cables to the other video out on his video card.

Note: I really prefer people to speak openly in this thread rather than PM me as

A- they will get a faster response, and

B- will get the benefit of help from other users here, as was clearly demonstrated by EnzoFX's post to help change the thought process leading to my response here.

First of all THANKS FOR YOUR EXTRAORDINARY GUIDE

I followed you guide step by step, at the start, when I boot with the CD (first boot after the clean Install of Snow Leopard) I had sound. After the creation of the folders in the Cham Volume, and restart with chamalion , the audio was dead.

I have an EP45-U3DL almost the same mobo

4 Gb RAM

video 8800GT (I have Image but I cat change the display size, and cant activate a second monitor, both are 22" Samsung VGA

LAN always working like a charm

HDD Samsung 750 GB

This is my problem:

With your guide everything was perfect but after the guide, I cant understand a single word...

How I can change a kext?? or what I need to do to have a fully working system?? I just want to replace the wrong files in the extension folder and en of the problem (this is the way???) but I cant get the wright files.

PLEASE HELP ME, I bought all the hardware because I want to follow your guide, and have a clean apple system.

First of all THANKS FOR YOUR EXTRAORDINARY GUIDE

I followed you guide step by step, at the start, when I boot with the CD (first boot after the clean Install of Snow Leopard) I had sound. After the creation of the folders in the Cham Volume, and restart with chamalion , the audio was dead.

I have an EP45-U3DL almost the same mobo

For audio you need a the DSDT.aml in the root of your cham partition and the LegacyHDA.kext for 10.6 in /E/E. You can find both in the support files.

This is my problem:

With your guide everything was perfect but after the guide, I cant understand a single word...

After the guide, you can't understand a single word where, in this thread?

How I can change a kext?? or what I need to do to have a fully working system?? I just want to replace the wrong files in the extension folder and en of the problem (this is the way???) but I cant get the wright files.

PLEASE HELP ME, I bought all the hardware because I want to follow your guide, and have a clean apple system.

For an initial install, all the files you need are in the Support Files. Why do you want to replace the wrong files in the extensions folder?

I recommend you update to the latest version of DSDT and bootloader from the front page of this thread for restart and shutdown. I have included the details in the 'Part 7 - What's New' PDF.