[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

I know for sure that on some newer iMacs you can even charge/sync iPhone from keyboard. It is nothing extremely important since I use USB ports on front of my case, but I was just wondering why it does not work on our hacks.

@Janis_A

I have the EP45T-UD3LR and I use the generic DSDT offered by blackosx, even though it isn't the same board. It appears to be compatible, except for AppleLPC not loading. This can be fixed by adding the following:

Device (LPCB)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001F0000)
[color="red"]				
                          Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			{
				Store (Package (0x02)
					{
						"device-id",
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x18, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
						}
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			}
[/color]
			OperationRegion (LPC0, PCI_Config, 0xA4, 0x02)

I am not sure this will fix your kernel panic issues, but hope it helps anyone else with a similar board. I will state again that the EP45T-UD3LR 'appears' to be compatible with blackosx's DSDT, but I have no definite proof of this, except for a my hack which appears to be running fine.

Cheers.

Cool man, thanx.

Can you tell me how to add this to DSDT? if i open it in text edit it just shows encrypted text... :angel:

Do i need to add this in the end of the file or delete something?

I think i got rid of kernel panics: I deleted the arch key from boot list file, cos the bios is set to beet in 64b, so it's working pretty smooth now. Is this correction good?

No i have a problem. Remember the boot usb... so i tried to boot into it and make an image of the disk for later if i mees up with update or something... so when i boot into usb it's kernel panic now...

i deleted the line from usb boot list to boot in 32... no success..

could this be that the usb was created using macbook pro with 10.5.8 which i think is 32b???

should i repeat the steps for chameleon boot usb in snow leopard now???

thanx for your amazing response people!!!

Hello BlackOSx!

I made a signature, and even added a photo of myself! :)

The Hack is working and havent had Kernel panics for a day now. What I did:

Deleted key arch from boot list so I think both kernel and cpu are 64bit now. I dont know if that was supposed to be a problem, but I dont have Kernel panics now. I have them in the other place now!!!

I wanted to boot from USB to make a disk image of my instalation and also to install another instaalation on backup disk... everytime i try to boot from USB i get Kernal panic. I tried changing Kernal to 32, 64.... tried booting ignoring cache.. verbose.. no luck... why is it?? here is what it says:

panic ()cpu 0 caller 0x2a76e6):Version mis-match betwwen kernel and cpu pm"@/source cache/xnu/xnu-1456.1.25/osfmk/i386/pmCPU.c:673

Maybe its because this Chameleon was made on leopard???

UPDATE: I wiped the USB and restored OSX DVD onto it (without chameleon) so the USB was just a OSX image.

I restarted and obviously HDD Cham partition booted, I selected to boot from USB and again Kernel mis match happened... So im confused now... I dont want to try and delete the chameleon from hdd as the hack is working fine, but why cant I boot from USB??? i just want to boot from USB to make a clean image of HDD....

Cool man, thanx.

Can you tell me how to add this to DSDT? if i open it in text edit it just shows encrypted text... ;)

The DSDT.aml needs to be de-compiled before you can edit it. The easiest way to do that is to use an app in the Finder called iALSme. You can then use the same app to recompile the DSDT. Have a read of the front page of my DSDT thread for a simple introduction to DSDT, then download the DSDT Guide for GA-EP45-DS3L PDF. It will give you a quick insight in to DSDT.

I think i got rid of kernel panics: I deleted the arch key from boot list file, cos the bios is set to beet in 64b, so it's working pretty smooth now. Is this correction good?

The arch key/string will load the kernel in 32-bit mode, so removing it will default the kernel to load in 64-bit mode. The fact your HPET in BIOS is set to 64-bit is independent to whichever mode you boot the kernel in to. HPET in my BIOS is set to 64bit and I can use the kernel in either 32-bit or 64-bit mode.

No i have a problem. Remember the boot usb... so i tried to boot into it and make an image of the disk for later if i mees up with update or something... so when i boot into usb it's kernel panic now...

No I don't remember the boot usb?

I show how to make a bootable USB in my PDF guide. If you just want it to boot up Chameleon then follow that and just don't bother to restore the Snow Leopard retail image to it.

Wow thanks for being so helpful!

I have solved the "out of range" problem by changing the default screen resolution in the com.apple.Boot.plist to: 1080x768x32. I also adjusted all the info in the SMBIOS.plist except for the serial #, I purchased the snow leopard disk but in the system profiler under "serial number (system)" it says "INSERTYOURSHERE" I don't see one on the box I'm just wondering what happened to it and how do i get it back? I tried re-installing but it didn't help.

I am now able to see Chameleon on boot up but if I don't press a key it quickly goes to a "You need to shutdown" error message with typing about kenals in the background. If I press a key I am able to select which drive I want to boot from but right away after selecting my snow leopard drive i get the same message.

Im also not sure if Im getting the order right for the install heres what I did:

1 Install Snow Leopard via boot cd

2 Boot into fresh installation via boot cd, see the welcome video and do the configure thing

3 Do the terminal work and set up the boot options as well as bios

4 Restart to tryout Chameleon

Thank you so much for your help!!

As an update Id like to report success after many hours and several reinstalls I can now boot into Snow Leopard using the Chameleon client. Props for such and awesome guide, every time there has been an error its been my own. its 2 in the morning and Im very tired and very happy. I'd still like info about my missing serial if any one knows where it went. Ill test it out tomorow and start the task of dual booting to win7.

Thanks again you rock.

Blackosx, are you signed to Perfecto?

Lol... no, I don't have much musical talent, though I love Oakie's older stuff.. he was a wizard :huh:

My avatar is out of respect for him!

As an update Id like to report success after many hours and several reinstalls I can now boot into Snow Leopard using the Chameleon client. Props for such and awesome guide, every time there has been an error its been my own. its 2 in the morning and Im very tired and very happy. I'd still like info about my missing serial if any one knows where it went. Ill test it out tomorow and start the task of dual booting to win7.

Thanks again you rock.

I see you have got it all up and running, well done :(

As you are new to this and have just followed the guide then let me know if there are any areas it could be improved.

The serial number is for your machine, not OS X. Apple give their machines serial numbers, and that's why you don't have one. Have a search around the internet and find one from an Apple machine with similar hardware to your hackintosh, for instance I have my SMBIOS set to resemble an iMac 10,1

UPDATE: I wiped the USB and restored OSX DVD onto it (without chameleon) so the USB was just a OSX image.

I restarted and obviously HDD Cham partition booted, I selected to boot from USB and again Kernel mis match happened... So im confused now... I dont want to try and delete the chameleon from hdd as the hack is working fine, but why cant I boot from USB??? i just want to boot from USB to make a clean image of HDD....

Having Chameleon on a USB stick is very useful in case you trash you own Cham partition, here's a crash course on building a bootable USB stick.

1. Boot up in to your running Snow Leopard install.

2. Insert a USB stick, load up Disk Utility and erase it in Mac OS Extended (journaled) format using a GPT.

3. Download the latest bootloader available. In this case Asere's modified RC4 bootloader v1.1.7 from the front page of this thread.

post-331032-1264664446_thumb.png

4. Follow the step outlined in Section A of 'Part 3 - Install Chameleon' PDF, so that would be to use the diskutil list command in Terminal to identify which disk and partition number you want to work on, cd to the Asere bootloader directory and install the boot0, boot1h and boot files to the USB stick.

post-331032-1264664686_thumb.png

You will then have a folder looking like this in the Finder:

post-331032-1264664743_thumb.png

As you have already built your /Extra folder to boot your Snow Leopard system then all you need to do is copy that /Extra folder from the Cham partition on to the USB Stick.

Your folder in the Finder will now look like this:

post-331032-1264664805_thumb.png

You can boot with the USB stick inserted in a USB port on your case, press 12 for selecting boot drive option in BIOS, choose hard disk then select the USB stick. Chameleon will then load from the USB stick from where you can boot your existing system on the HDD.

If you want to go one step further and create a bootable installer USB, then the USB stick needs to a minimum capacity of 8GB and after doing the above steps you just need to restore the retail Snow Leopard DVD on to the same stick. See the last two paragraphs starting with 'Next we need to....' on page 2, section 1B in 'Part 2 - Install Snow Leopard' PDF.

hello there,

fortunately, my install on the ga-ep45-ds3p seems to work - although it takes quite a long time to boot

(this was different at the beginning). might it help to clear boot caches?

anyway, i want to install windows 7 on another partition of the macintosh hd, too.

does it work if i install windows 7 (it will change the active partition, right?) and set the active

partition back to my chameleon boot partition, after the win7 install?

and can win7 deal with the guid partition table?

i know that this isnt a dual boot thread, i just wanted to ask if someone happens to know about it...!?

thanks

plx

Hey BlackOs,

I did what you said - installed the new bootloader onto USB with OSX install on it... I still get Kernel Panic everytime I trie to boot into USB installation... here is the image attached. I really dont know what is causeing it... I think now that its the installation... cos the boot is identical to cham partition from which booting is perfect... no kernel panics...

I'll be waiting for yours and anyones suggestions.

Thanx

post-555122-1264725727_thumb.jpg

This worked perfectly for me!!! Thanks

I have a 64bit Snow Leopard install as outlined bellow.

I used a retail 10.6 disk using usb method and upgraded to 10.6.2 before first reboot and followed the 10.6.2 /E/E kext variations

I made sure I used the DSDT from GA_EP45_DS3L_DSDT_Generic_v5

And the Boot from Install_Asere_s_v1.1.7_Modifed_Bootloader

and the bonjour fixes using the RealtekR1000SL.kext method in Part 4-6

GA-EP45-UDL3 F8

4gb DDR 2 @ 800mhz

500gb SATA HDD

16gb USB drive

GF 8800 GTS 320mb

QuadCore @2.67ghz

Video, Sound(have not tested input), Networking, usb bluetooth all perfect

ATA HDD/CD Drive not working yet will have to have a play.

just got back to find that sleep works too!

files below mostly for my own backup, but this is all the files needed for the chameleon drive

GA_EP45_UDL3_bootfiles.zip

fortunately, my install on the ga-ep45-ds3p seems to work - although it takes quite a long time to boot

(this was different at the beginning). might it help to clear boot caches?

anyway, i want to install windows 7 on another partition of the macintosh hd, too.

does it work if i install windows 7 (it will change the active partition, right?) and set the active

partition back to my chameleon boot partition, after the win7 install?

and can win7 deal with the guid partition table?

i know that this isnt a dual boot thread, i just wanted to ask if someone happens to know about it...!?

Hi polluxx2008

Somebody only asked about this recently and all I can say is when I used 10.5.8 I wrote a Dual Boot guide which had both OS X and Windows7 on the same HDD. That involved doing it with having Chameleon installed on the EFI partition.

Since using Snow Leopard I have not tried a dual boot setup and currently run Vista in VMWare Fusion. Now you know how to install Snow Leopard, it should be farily straightforward to follow my dual boot guide using Snow Leopard.

Hey BlackOs,

I did what you said - installed the new bootloader onto USB with OSX install on it... I still get Kernel Panic everytime I trie to boot into USB installation... here is the image attached. I really dont know what is causeing it... I think now that its the installation... cos the boot is identical to cham partition from which booting is perfect... no kernel panics...

I'll be waiting for yours and anyones suggestions.

Thanx

Hi Janis_A

Yes, your problem lies with the error message that you previously posted about

panic ()cpu 0 caller 0x2a76e6):Version mis-match......

and also the error

Kernel Extensions in backtrace (with dependencies):

sk.triaxis.kext.SleepEnabler (1.0.1)......

You are using Darwin Kernel Version 10.0.0 (which is used in 10.6 and 10.6.1)

but you are using the version 1.0.1 of SleepEnabler.kext which is for 10.6.2 only.

You need to use the version 1.0.0 of SleepEnabler from my Support Files in the "For 10.6" folder.

Note: I have read there will be another version of SleepEnabler required for 10.6.3 when it's released

This worked perfectly for me!!! Thanks

ATA HDD/CD Drive not working yet will have to have a play.

Hi zorog

Thanks for reporting your success.

Only SATA HDD/CD drives are supported.

Anyone have any experience with sleep working for short durations, but with the computer shutting down after an extended sleep period? My setup seems to work fine if i sleep it and wake it periodically, but when it sleeps for an extended period I find that it won't wake and needs to be restarted.

Pretty frustrating... i don't want to have to do yet another install but i don't know if something went haywire at some point or not.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Hello blackosx,

I tried your revised, and more concise guide, but alas, thsi time I got a bad panic screen "no OS found, no ACPI..."

I was following to the comme (at least this is what I believe) the creation of a bootable partition on my existing 10.5.8 system:

"1B - Create a bootable USB 10.6 Installation memory stick"

I use a physical partition of my disk (not a USB), installed Chameleon, created an image of the original Apple Snow Retail DVD. Put the kexts and the rest in /Extra. However, when I choose to boot from this partition I get a bad panic.

I was so happy the instructions were so simple...

any ideas how to debug? what do I do wrong?

I cannot make any sense of your remark, tried also the RC3 boot file, the boot is in this partition:

"Questions that get posted time and time again....

Q. "I get a Kernel Panic directly after selecting to boot Snow Leopard from Chameleon"

A. from page 17 of the guide.....The most common Kernel Panic is the one immediately after boot which is normally caused by the lack of a Snow Leopard boot file. You need either the Chameleon RC3 boot file or Netkas' PC EFI v10 boot file.

Lol... yeah... Consider this scenario...

If you had the following key/strings in Chameleon's boot options

<key>Quiet Boot</key>

<string>Yes</string>

<key>GUI</key>

<string>No</string>

Then you won't see any options when you boot your machine, Chameleon will just run and boot your default partition. You would then use the new pref pane to control which system it rebooted in to. Similar to how a real Mac works.

Sorry if I noobify this great guide. But can I have a question?

Once I go to Windows with quiet boot, how to came back to Mac?

Are there any key to stop booting in the boot select screen?

Anyway thanks a lot for the great work.

I'm reading the awesome development process everyday!

np Thanks again.

I have my ATA drives working on 10.5.8 is there something new in 10.6 that breaks this?

Hi zorog

I have posted about the ATA issue before only recently so hopefully by now you will have searched and found the answer for yourself. But this guide doesn't include ATA drives as I haven't got them and like I say at the start of my guides, if you have different hardware to what I have then you may experiences some differences.

But the latest DSDT I use has all code stripped out for supporting them, so that's why they won't work. If you go back a few pages to here, you'll find I posted about a link about a revised DSDT I uploaded in an attempt to add back support for PS2 and IDE devices. I don't know if it works or not as nobody has ever reported back on it. I guess you will still need to add the relevant Snow Leopard kexts.

Anyone have any experience with sleep working for short durations, but with the computer shutting down after an extended sleep period?

Hi PSUlion01

I have no idea as to why that would happen, though it sounds similar to an issue titan4 has.

Hello blackosx,

I tried your revised, and more concise guide, but alas, thsi time I got a bad panic screen "no OS found, no ACPI..."

I was following to the comme (at least this is what I believe) the creation of a bootable partition on my existing 10.5.8 system:

"1B - Create a bootable USB 10.6 Installation memory stick"

Hi sjpapa

Thanks for reporting back about the revised guides.

I use a physical partition of my disk (not a USB), installed Chameleon, created an image of the original Apple Snow Retail DVD. Put the kexts and the rest in /Extra. However, when I choose to boot from this partition I get a bad panic.

I was so happy the instructions were so simple...

any ideas how to debug? what do I do wrong?

However, you have deviated from the guide as that details installing Chameleon and the retail 10.6 image on to the USB, not a partition. If you want to use it with a partition then you can restore the retail 10.6 DVD to an image on a partition as shamansanchez described. You can then build a bootable Chameleon USB stick, boot in to the USB stick and select the 10.6 image from the partition. I had planned to put that in to a revised 'Part 2' PDF but have been busy and it's on my to do list.

I cannot make any sense of your remark, tried also the RC3 boot file, the boot is in this partition:

"Questions that get posted time and time again....

Q. "I get a Kernel Panic directly after selecting to boot Snow Leopard from Chameleon"

A. from page 17 of the guide.....The most common Kernel Panic is the one immediately after boot which is normally caused by the lack of a Snow Leopard boot file. You need either the Chameleon RC3 boot file or Netkas' PC EFI v10 boot file.

This was from when people first started to install Snow Leopard, and the revised bootloaders were only just coming out. I found users were still using pre 10.6 compatible versions. As long as you are using Chameleon RC4 or PC EFI 10.5 then you have nothing to worry about there.

Sorry if I noobify this great guide. But can I have a question?

Once I go to Windows with quiet boot, how to came back to Mac?

Are there any key to stop booting in the boot select screen?

Anyway thanks a lot for the great work.

I'm reading the awesome development process everyday!

Yes, jamonda already asked this question here and see the post directly after it for the answer.

Hmm I am watching on iStat Menu Sensors and my CPU has somehow high temperature around 50-55 °C which is about 20 °C more then I used to have on Windows. And my fans are spinning a lot more than before. I am pretty much considering getting back to DSDT without SpeedStep and SleepEnabler with NullPowerManagementWhatever.kext especially when I think that it would even stop my occasional problems with sleep.

Hmm I am watching on iStat Menu Sensors and my CPU has somehow high temperature around 50-55 °C which is about 20 °C more then I used to have on Windows. And my fans are spinning a lot more than before. I am pretty much considering getting back to DSDT without SpeedStep and SleepEnabler with NullPowerManagementWhatever.kext especially when I think that it would even stop my occasional problems with sleep.

Have your CPU temps always been that high when using vanilla speedstepping?

My CPU temps are only maybe a couple of degrees higher when using P and C-states with AppleCPUPM compared to using NullCPUPM. iStat Menus currently reports my E7300 between 39 to 40°C.

post-331032-1264972673_thumb.png

Have your CPU temps always been that high when using vanilla speedstepping?

My CPU temps are only maybe a couple of degrees higher when using P and C-states with AppleCPUPM compared to using NullCPUPM. iStat Menus currently reports my E7300 between 39 to 40°C.

I am not sure, because I haven't monitored them before. Hell I am even not sure if it is different than before with NullCPUPM. I can only reboot to Windows and monitor temperatures there for compare, but I used to have around 30-35°C (But I now have my computer in different location and it may cause something as well, because it is little more closed.) I just think that my computer was definitely more silent before.

EDIT: Hmm it is not very different with Windows. But still about 7-9 degrees lower. I should note that numbers I wrote were when I used different MoBo, and when I think about it I should really reapply thermal paste, because I didn't when I moved CPU to that GB board.

It is shame that I had so much problems installing Snow Kitty on my ASUS Commando, because I loved that board. I just went that day and bought used EP45-DS3L, because I liked your guide and really wanted to try OS X. Guess I am stuck with it. :)

And I wanted to overclock it as I used to run it on 3,0Ghz, but I am little afraid now. (On the other side I always wanted to buy Quad Core :) )

EDIT2: I tried VoodooMonitor and it looks like Speedstepping works, but temperatures are still somehow high.

EDIT3: Hmm with DSDT without Speedstepping and with NullCPUPM+SleepEnabler it is practically the same.

EDIT: Hmm it is not very different with Windows. But still about 7-9 degrees lower. I should note that numbers I wrote were when I used different MoBo, and when I think about it I should really reapply thermal paste, because I didn't when I moved CPU to that GB board.

EDIT3: Hmm with DSDT without Speedstepping and with NullCPUPM+SleepEnabler it is practically the same.

I think you have answered your own question..

Thing is though, the core2duos can run quite a bit warmer and still be safe.

Hey BlackOS!

Just wanted to let you know that I got everything working, I managed to make an image ()deleted the sleep kexts and repaired permissions.

Only thing I cant get to work is fireware card... i bought a cheap one from ebay for 6£... when osx is booting i tried verbose it says something like fireware card not recognised or not replying... and after a while it boots, but with no mouse or keybord :)( and i have to press reset button...

any suggestions? should i buy a particular FW card?

also I tried installing win7 on the backup partition... i installed, but then I could boot into chameleon at all, that was scary, not even into usb... i then booted from win7 dvd and deleted the win partition.. i fixed everything with chameleon and osx

the question is - how can i install win7 now so that i can boot via cham and choose osx or win?

thanx for your help - HACK is working like a charm, at the moment rendering massive HD video! :wacko:

Hi Janis

Hey BlackOS!

Just wanted to let you know that I got everything working, I managed to make an image ()deleted the sleep kexts and repaired permissions.

Great. Well done ;)

Only thing I cant get to work is fireware card... i bought a cheap one from ebay for 6£... when osx is booting i tried verbose it says something like fireware card not recognised or not replying... and after a while it boots, but with no mouse or keybord :(( and i have to press reset button...

any suggestions? should i buy a particular FW card?

I haven't used firewire for ages and haven't on my hack so I can't give you any advice but I know some other users here have firewire working. Have a look over the last ten or so pages here and I am sure you'll find some posts about it.

so I tried installing win7 on the backup partition... i installed, but then I could boot into chameleon at all, that was scary, not even into usb... i then booted from win7 dvd and deleted the win partition.. i fixed everything with chameleon and osx

the question is - how can i install win7 now so that i can boot via cham and choose osx or win?

thanx for your help - HACK is working like a charm, at the moment rendering massive HD video! :)

I have just gone through this for some tests I am doing.

When you install Windows7 on to one of your other partitions, I used the WIN7 partition, it will successfully install but also write it's boot code to the MBR of the disk. So when you boot your PC Windows7 will automatically boot and you won't get to see Chameleon.

You can then use fdisk to write boot0 back to the MBR as I described in section A of 'Part 3' for the PDF guide, but Windows will then complain it's damaged and you need to repair the MBR with the Windows repair option from the DVD. You can eventually get Chameleon working by using fdisk to make the Chameleon partition the active partition, then boot windows 7 from it. However, you will encounter a problem with Windows7 not entering sleep as it's fussy about being on the active partition.

The way round this is to use a modified boot0 file which is currently being worked on and might see the light of day in Chameleon v2 RC5? so if you can wait then great, but if you want it now then the simplest option is to install Windows7 on to it's own HDD and Chameleon will find it and boot it just fine.