[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

Out of interest, can you try booting from a previous version of the BootCD?

BootCD v1.06 or BootCD v1.04

But note, these older ones contain older support files. So if you do manage to install from either of these BootCD's then use the Support Files from my the BootCD v1.07.

Hello blackosx,

thanks a lot for your answer on this one. I had a try with GigabyteOSX, because it also supports my board and it worked like a charm.

I think your guide is a lot more transparent as the one supplied in GigabyteOSX and that having the bootloader one a second parition is a way more efficient solution, but all in all this was the easier way to get Snow Leopard working on my machine.

Thank you for your guide, your time and your work for OSx86! :P

Switch the card to a different PCI slot. That might help.

It's PCIE X16 so I only have one slot like this.

I found out that sometimes switching between ports and unpluging and pluging back in works...

well.. everything cant be ideal, that's why it's hackintosh. But works good though :P

That is Kernel Panic = Something like BSOD on Windows. It is however very difficult to detect possible cause. You can check kernel.log if there is some error messages prior to getting KP.

I don't know. I used 2 monitors (or Monitor + HDTV) without issues, but it depends on graphics card.

Damn, this kernel panic just happened again... so about 5 times today... basically the machine is unstable.... I also had panic twice while I was updating to 10.6.2 and all the rest like pro apps etc... so suxs ass.. :(((

I have exactly machine like in this tutorial - ep45 ud3lr, 2.5 intel quad, 4 gb ram and 8800 gt graphics...

I did all the steps, so why is it happening?

Please help...

Damn, this kernel panic just happened again... so about 5 times today... basically the machine is unstable.... I also had panic twice while I was updating to 10.6.2 and all the rest like pro apps etc... so suxs ass.. :(((

I have exactly machine like in this tutorial - ep45 ud3lr, 2.5 intel quad, 4 gb ram and 8800 gt graphics...

I did all the steps, so why is it happening?

Please help...

Point is you don't have same motherboard. You have ep45-ud3lr, but this guide is for ep45-ds3l and there might be some minor differences. What I would recommend first is check your BIOS settings against recommended settings (default + AHCI + HPET to 64-bit mode). Then try running 32-bit instead 64-bit or vice-versa. There were some people that had KPs only with one kernel mode. Are you using generic DSDT from blackosx or you made yours own ? I would recommend try making your own one and see if that helps. Most of all as i said before check kernel.log for some possible errors (There might be none related to KP, but you never know what you might find there)

As titan4 said, you have a different motherboard to the one in this guide. Are you using your own DSDT? as you don't want to be using the one from this thread. You can create one using a couple of methods, I show one way here if it helps? or maybe see if you can find one from the GigabyteOSX thread that roawr posted about? Though I recommend creating your own from scratch until you have learned how to edit somebody else's.

Can you create a signature detailing your hardware so everyone can see what you're running. That way it's easier for use to help you. Also, what install method did you use?

I think your guide is a lot more transparent as the one supplied in GigabyteOSX and that having the bootloader one a second parition is a way more efficient solution, but all in all this was the easier way to get Snow Leopard working on my machine.

Thanks for reporting back.

Sorry the BootCD from this thread didn't work for you, but the main thing is you are now up and running :)

If you do prefer the setup as described in this guide then you can always follow this guide, but just use the other BootCD to get your Snow Leopard installed, then carry on with this guide from 'Part 3' using my BootCD.

Ok, I'm having random kernel panics... really random - sometimes on double click on hdd, sometimes just from nowhere...on clean desktop, sometimes dvd studio pro.... updates etc.... so I dont know why and when.... after it happens and i press restart button the hackintosh was rebooting al the time as if there was a loop he couldnt get out... i bootet in verbal mode and read somehting from the screen:

panic (cpu 1 caller 0x55648d) get physical segment out of 32b range 0x115623000 len 0x1000, class IOGeneral MemoryDescriptor

something like com.apple.iokit.IOATABlock storage

com.jmicron.JMicronATA

there were a lot more NR and codes like 0x...... but i couldnt write all of it down...

There is nothing in the log files.... :)

please help, this sux really as everything is working nicelly apart from those panic calls... and this obvoiusly makes unusable system... :)

Thank you guys for being so helpfull.

I'm very new to this world, so I dont know how to make DSDT. I dont even know what it is :)

I was installing SnoLeo from bootable USB as instructed in tutorial. then made cham partition and am booting from it... I will try 32b mode and see if it helps. The problem is that I never know when it happens...

Janis

I just noticed that boot file in chameleon says Arch to be i386??? that's 32b? isnt it?

The bios is set to 64 bit... I just deleted that string so by def kernel should boot in 64 now? maybe that will help???

i'll put some videos to render over night and see what's happening.

Hi, thanks first of all for an awesome guide!! I've been trying for the last couple of days with to get Snow Leopard to work on my PC with the intention of dual booting to Win7. Im new to mac and am trying to digest kexts and kernals, unfortunately i cant get past the install at about 17 minutes remaining in the installation process I get:

"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power... etc"

I've tried 5 or 6 times with different settings in the bios and different partitions no luck. I've done simple things like re-burn the boot cd. Im using a bought new copy of snow leopard.

Im running a GA-EP45-DS3L mobo, egeforce 9800 gx2 gpu, e8500 core 2 duo, 4gb g.skill ddr2, 1tb and 250gb seagate hd's (the 1tb I use for storage)

Any and all help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ok, I'm having random kernel panics... really random - sometimes on double click on hdd, sometimes just from nowhere...on clean desktop, sometimes dvd studio pro.... updates etc.... so I dont know why and when.... after it happens and i press restart button the hackintosh was rebooting al the time as if there was a loop he couldnt get out... i bootet in verbal mode and read somehting from the screen:

Hi Janis

Random Kernel Panics like this used to happen back in the early days with installing Snow Leopard by using the OSInstall.mpkg method which I described in section 1C of 'Part 2' of the guide. But as you use from the bootable USB method then I can rule out general file ownership/permission errors. But you can always try booting in to Single-User mode and running fsck (see page 3 of 'Part 5' of my guide).

panic (cpu 1 caller 0x55648d) get physical segment out of 32b range 0x115623000 len 0x1000, class IOGeneral MemoryDescriptor

something like com.apple.iokit.IOATABlock storage

com.jmicron.JMicronATA

For your kernel panic you want to look at the least few lines of text as they'll be the ones to hopefully shed some light on why... But the next two lines you mention refer to ATA, are you using IDE drives anywhere? as this guide is for SATA drives.

please help, this sux really as everything is working nicelly apart from those panic calls... and this obvoiusly makes unusable system... :huh:

Thank you guys for being so helpfull.

We will do our best to help you, but it will help if we know what hardware you're running, motherboard, CPU etc... Can you create a signature detailing this please.. (Click on the cog icon above your login name in the blue bar near the top of the screen, then in the next windows, click 'Edit Signature' for the left edge).

I'm very new to this world, so I dont know how to make DSDT. I dont even know what it is :)

I was installing SnoLeo from bootable USB as instructed in tutorial. then made cham partition and am booting from it... I will try 32b mode and see if it helps. The problem is that I never know when it happens...

A DSDT is a table which is loaded in to your system at boot time to help tell the OS about your hardware and an incorrect DSDT can easily mess up your system. I have tried to give a simple overview of DSDT in my thread that I posted the link to. And although that thread is fairly old now, it will still tell you a bit about it and the PDF guide will show you how to generate a DSDT from your original BIOS file, then show you how to patch it for the CMOS reset fix. Unless you have the GA-EP45-DS3L which I have supplied the DSDT for, you will need to do this.

The com.apple.Boot.plist I supply in the Support Files is set to instruct Chameleon to load the kernel in 32-bit mode. You can see this by looking for the following key/string in your com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>arch</key>

<string>i386</string>

The bios is set to 64 bit... I just deleted that string so by def kernel should boot in 64 now? maybe that will help??

The HPET option in BIOS should be set to 64-bit if you have a 64-bit CPU. So any core2duo, quad, extreme.

Hi, thanks first of all for an awesome guide!! I've been trying for the last couple of days with to get Snow Leopard to work on my PC with the intention of dual booting to Win7. Im new to mac and am trying to digest kexts and kernals, unfortunately i cant get past the install at about 17 minutes remaining in the installation process I get:

"You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power... etc"

I've tried 5 or 6 times with different settings in the bios and different partitions no luck. I've done simple things like re-burn the boot cd. Im using a bought new copy of snow leopard.

Im running a GA-EP45-DS3L mobo, egeforce 9800 gx2 gpu, e8500 core 2 duo, 4gb g.skill ddr2, 1tb and 250gb seagate hd's (the 1tb I use for storage)

Any and all help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi MackNich

You are now the second person, roawr being the first, to have a problem where the Snow Leopard installer fails with about 17 minutes remaining after booting from my v1.07 BootCD. I see both you and roawr have a 1TB drive?

Roawr got around this by using a BootCD from a link posted here here. He then went on to say he liked the way this setup was structured. So I suggested that he can always follow this guide, but just use the other BootCD to get your Snow Leopard installed, then carry on with this guide from 'Part 3' using my BootCD.

Sorry for this inconvenience and I will try to find out what will make the Snow Leopard install fail. Can I ask anyone else out there who's tried using the v1.07 BootCD if the SnowLeopard installer failed to complete with 17 minutes remaining. I've tried to recreate the issue here but it installs successfully.

Hi, again

I have GA-EP43-DS3, and I'm using my own compiled DSDt.aml, only with two strings edited inside those Lenghts:

Device (RTC)

{

Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0B00"))

Name (ATT0, ResourceTemplate ()

{

IO (Decode16,

0x0070, // Range Minimum

0x0070, // Range Maximum

0x00, // Alignment

0x04, // Length !!! -----------------> change 0x04 to 0x02 !!!

)

})

Name (ATT1, ResourceTemplate ()

{

IO (Decode16,

0x0070, // Range Minimum

0x0070, // Range Maximum

0x00, // Alignment

0x04, // Length !!! -----------------> change 0x04 to 0x02 !!!

)

And nothing more, just because is really hard for me to understand it and for some reaseon I can't comipeld without an errors when I'm trying to editing something. I saw some topics that says that can fix the sleep issue with DSDT.aml, so could you please tell me wich exact section should be editet and what to replace.

If some one whants to help me with editing e runing the sleep, I will be very thankful :)

I can send you my kernel log to see whats happend during the sleep, in general after wake-up it's just restart

Hi, again

I have GA-EP43-DS3, and I'm using my own compiled DSDt.aml, only with two strings edited inside those Lenghts:

And nothing more, just because is really hard for me to understand it and for some reaseon I can't comipeld without an errors when I'm trying to editing something.

Hi mitko.

Take your time with the DSDT and try it again. Once you have decompiled your DSDT for the first time, before editing it, try and compile it again to make sure it's OK to start with. Make sure you're using the latest iASLMe (I posted a link in the news section on the front page of this thread to the latest version).

I saw some topics that says that can fix the sleep issue with DSDT.aml, so could you please tell me wich exact section should be editet and what to replace.

If some one whants to help me with editing e runing the sleep, I will be very thankful :(

I can send you my kernel log to see whats happend during the sleep, in general after wake-up it's just restart

DSDT is not the be all and end all for fixing sleep problems. All your peripherals need to be sleep compliant and behave properly, and some software apps/services can cause issues with sleep. I think you need to do some trial and error with your keyboard, mouse, DVD drive and anything else you have plugged in to your system first without worrying to much about your DSDT at the moment. People had, and solved, sleep problems long before editing DSDT's came about.

Only send the section of your kernel.log which shows the machine entering sleep and then waking from sleep if there's a reason for it. If the reason is blank, then nobody here can help with it. Unfortunately it is something you are going to have to monitor and play with...

Here it is, only the sleep info from 12:14 pm to 12:15 pm,

The main problem is that a month ago the sleep worked, but now no, the only thing I did:

- Instal the HDAEnabler and LegacyHDA wich turns on aduio alc888 - but the problem is not from there - I tested

- Made my 2nd HDD with Win7 to boot in VMware

- And replaced LegacyHDA from /E/E with one of the your last guide for 10.6.2

Here it is, only the sleep info from 12:14 pm to 12:15 pm,

The main problem is that a month ago the sleep worked, but now no, the only thing I did:

- Instal the HDAEnabler and LegacyHDA wich turns on aduio alc888 - but the problem is not from there - I tested

- Made my 2nd HDD with Win7 to boot in VMware

- And replace LegacyHDA from /E/E with one of the your last guide for 10.6.2

If you undo your changes, will sleep work?

So remove HDAEnabler (which you don't need. For Audio you only need a DSDT HDEF patch and LegacyHDA.kext). Try it with your second HDD unplugged and maybe even just for a test, go back to using the old LegacyHDA.

Then you can hopefully work out which one has caused your sleep to now stop working :thumbsup_anim:

Also, in your log file, there is no reference to entering sleep? Was that from your kernel.log?

See this post for reference:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1387812

I did test with all but nothing happend.

Well by going on what you have told me, one of those things broke your sleep.

When you setup your system, did you create a backup partition with a separate install of Snow Leopard?. As apart from testing updates, you can always boot in to it and try sleep, if it works then you know it's something you have installed on your main install.

Oooo I know where is the problem, a couple months ago I unchecked the option :(

"Start up automatically after a power failure" in Energy Saver

Now sleep works perfect!

blackosx thank for your quick response

Good thinking mitko17.. Glad to hear that you now have sleep back.

Note: to anyone who is using the new DSDT from here, you don't have to have the "Start up automatically after a power failure" checkbox ticked for sleep to work. This was fixed in DSDT by MasterChief. And before anybody asks, I can't remember from the top of my head exactly what the fix was, but the answer can be found in the Gigabyte DSDT Fix thread.

EDIT: Here's what's changed in DSDT to allow sleep without ticking that checkbox.

MasterChief's original post

My confirmation of it working

So I updated my DSDT for the newest one. It did not resolved my sleep issues. It even failed with my first attempt. Second time it was OK. Do you think it may be SpeedStep thing related ? If I understand it correctly if I use dsdt without speedstep I need to use NullCPUPowerManagement and SleepEnabler ?

And you noted that it should increase USB power. I was kinda hoping that I could use that Apple keyboard I have with stuff like USB thumb drive, but it still just reports low power :)

So I updated my DSDT for the newest one. It did not resolved my sleep issues. It even failed with my first attempt. Second time it was OK. Do you think it may be SpeedStep thing related ? If I understand it correctly if I use dsdt without speedstep I need to use NullCPUPowerManagement and SleepEnabler ?

And you noted that it should increase USB power. I was kinda hoping that I could use that Apple keyboard I have with stuff like USB thumb drive, but it still just reports low power :)

I didn't think you had a sleep issue, just a problem waking from sleep after a long period (18+ hours).

This DSDT won't fix a sleep issue, other than replace the functionality of the Jan Bird method (clicking the "Start up automatically after a power failure" check box).

Yes, if you don't add your CPU data to the DSDT for stepping, then you might want to add NullCPUPowerManagement and SleepEnabler kexts back in to E/E/. Same as the default install explained in the PDF guide.

As for the USB power increase, it's probably easier if I point you to this post and ask you to read on. Look for mm67's posts.

Ye, it was common element before, but now I tested sleep few times and it just happened so it is problem with sleeping, but happening only sometimes so it is difficult for me to trace possible reason. I actually added speedstep data to that latest dsdt v5. I was just thinking if that may be reason for these failures.

I will check that link. I need to learn for exam, but I am so incredibly hyped for tomorrow keynote, that I just can't focus on it :rolleyes:

EDIT: Well sudo setpci -s 0:1a.7 0x52.w reports for me C9C2 as it should, so I don't know why that does not work :(

Ye, it was common element before, but now I tested sleep few times and it just happened so it is problem with sleeping, but happening only sometimes so it is difficult for me to trace possible reason. I actually added speedstep data to that latest dsdt v5. I was just thinking if that may be reason for these failures.

I wish I could help you with your sleep but it's really down to you testing with your hardware, and maybe try it on a fresh install? For reference, my system sleeps and autosleeps if I have stepping enabled in DSDT or not.

I will check that link. I need to learn for exam, but I am so incredibly hyped for tomorrow keynote, that I just can't focus on it :(

Good luck with the exam and bring on the tablet! :rolleyes:

and anything else Mr Jobs. surprises us with......

EDIT: Well sudo setpci -s 0:1a.7 0x52.w reports for me C9C2 as it should, so I don't know why that does not work :hysterical:

Hopefully mm67 can lend a hand with your power issue?

I just tested and confirm that with blackosx's guide for GA-EP45-DS3L everything works on GA-EP43-DS3,

even the Schedule Start up or wake and Shut Down, Restart, Sleep from System Prefernces > Energy Saver

Thanks again to blackosx!

Well done mitko17 and thanks :tomato:

I figured out my install problem. On my 6th or 7th read through of the directions it dawned on me that Im not using a sata dvd drive. I got around it by using the disk utility to to make a restore of the Snow Leopard installation cd on the "Backup" partition. Then using the mobo boot disk selected the drive. installation success!

Snow leopard is running but I have a new problem. I went through the install of chameleon in terminal very slowly and carefully and when it came time to do a reboot just after bios finished loading but just before where you would see the apple loading my screen went black and I got an "out of range" error message.

Its funny because using the boot CD snow leopard works no problem, or did until I tried to redo the Chameleon terminal install to which shortly there after I got the "you need to shut down..." error message. I rebooted and am writing this on it but Im still going to do a reinstall and start over. how do you know if you have done the terminal work right? and is it crazy talk to suggest that I make an image of the boot cd on a tiny partition on my 1Tb drive and boot that drive first? Id like to get it to work properly though.

Thanks a lot for your help you guys rock.

@Janis_A

I have the EP45T-UD3LR and I use the generic DSDT offered by blackosx, even though it isn't the same board. It appears to be compatible, except for AppleLPC not loading. This can be fixed by adding the following:

Device (LPCB)
		{
			Name (_ADR, 0x001F0000)
[color="red"]				
                          Method (_DSM, 4, NotSerialized)
			{
				Store (Package (0x02)
					{
						"device-id",
						Buffer (0x04)
						{
							0x18, 0x3A, 0x00, 0x00
						}
					}, Local0)
				DTGP (Arg0, Arg1, Arg2, Arg3, RefOf (Local0))
				Return (Local0)
			}
[/color]
			OperationRegion (LPC0, PCI_Config, 0xA4, 0x02)

I am not sure this will fix your kernel panic issues, but hope it helps anyone else with a similar board. I will state again that the EP45T-UD3LR 'appears' to be compatible with blackosx's DSDT, but I have no definite proof of this, except for a my hack which appears to be running fine.

Cheers.

Hi MackNich

I figured out my install problem. On my 6th or 7th read through of the directions it dawned on me that Im not using a sata dvd drive.

Well done for finally reading the Requirements :)

I got around it by using the disk utility to to make a restore of the Snow Leopard installation cd on the "Backup" partition. Then using the mobo boot disk selected the drive. installation success!

Well done, shamansanchez's install variation is a handy method. I have been trying to finish the 'Part 2b - Install Variations' PDF section of the guide showing the different variations that are listed on the front page of this thread, but I have just been too busy to get round to it.

Snow leopard is running but I have a new problem. I went through the install of chameleon in terminal very slowly and carefully and when it came time to do a reboot just after bios finished loading but just before where you would see the apple loading my screen went black and I got an "out of range" error message.

I wonder what's out of range, could it be memory or maybe the video resolution?

Its funny because using the boot CD snow leopard works no problem, or did until I tried to redo the Chameleon terminal install to which shortly there after I got the "you need to shut down..." error message.

The bootCD should always allow you to select and boot your untouched retail Snow Leopard install as Chameleon will load from the /Extra folder on the CD and ignore your /Extra folder on the Cham partition.

If you think the Cham partition is damaged and stopping the BootCD from booting your Snow Leopard install, then you can boot in to the BootCD, swap discs with the Snow Leopard DVD, boot in to that and select Disk Utility from the Tools menu. From there, erase the Cham partition, reboot and use the BootCD to boot back in to your Snow Leopard install. Then start again with 'Part 3 - Install Chameleon', and follow section A to install Chameleon Manually.

I rebooted and am writing this on it but Im still going to do a reinstall and start over. how do you know if you have done the terminal work right?

The terminal won't give any feedback other than after entering the dd if=boot1h of=/dev/rdiskXsn command where you'll see:

2+0 records in

2+0 records out

1024 bytes transferred in 0.001897 secs (539772 bytes/sec)

....and is it crazy talk to suggest that I make an image of the boot cd on a tiny partition on my 1Tb drive and boot that drive first? Id like to get it to work properly though.

By building the Cham partition as in 'Part 3 - Install Chameleon', you are essentially doing that but using the correct files.

Hopefully mm67 can lend a hand with your power issue?

My aluminium keyboard says it's capable of feeding 100 mA, that seems to be enough for some usb sticks, but most of mine won't work with so little power. I think that this has nothing to do with onboard usb power capabilities, if you look at my screenshot it says that keyboard only needs 300 mA, but it is connected to a port capable of 500 mA. Maybe someone has a similar keyboard connected to a real Mac and can verify same thing happening there also.

post-375259-1264578943_thumb.png