[idkfa]

[idkfa]

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

I assume ur using cst tables?
Have a look at this post and following: http://www.insanelym...p;#entry1312946

Thanks for your answer. I'm currently not using any Speedstep at all; no DSDT fixes and even removed AppleIntelCPUPowermanagement.kext.
The solutions you suggested have sped up my SATA/USB (which is nice, thank you :)), but not helped with my problem.
I have another idea: Maybe it is related to my graphics card (9800GT, 512MB), as the GUI hangs for about half a second. I can very nicely check this playing Quinn. There is no sound stuttering (listening to iTunes in background).
I have already tried using my Leopard's device-properties in boot.plist, and enabling/disabling Netkas' PC-EFI 10.5 GraphicsBuiltin-Feature.
Any further ideas?

Edit: I think I've found the problem.. oldnapalm's fakesmc. ATM I'm using Netkas' fakesmc and everything is smooth.

ben ferrari

ben ferrari

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi blackosx,

your guides are totally ace!

i have i problem with my install.

i have followed the instructions and have a booting stable snow leopard. the problem is every time i edit the boot.plist with an efi string for graphics or lan the system no longer boots. in verbose mode they boot screen stops at "acpi_smc_platform plugin" timing out. do you have any ideas what the problem is? i have searched the net but to no avail.

thanks

ben

keypox

keypox

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
Should i try running 64bit mode? 32 runs fine..

One problem im having on this fresh install is my sound pops when it first plays a sound. Very weird anyone else have this problem?

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,102 posts

i have followed the instructions and have a booting stable snow leopard. the problem is every time i edit the boot.plist with an efi string for graphics or lan the system no longer boots. in verbose mode they boot screen stops at "acpi_smc_platform plugin" timing out. do you have any ideas what the problem is? i have searched the net but to no avail.

Hi ben :D

I haven't come across this before. All I can ask is you double check the device (EFI) strings you are adding. Maybe try adding the string only for your video then if that works, try the ethernet one. If successful, then combine them together?

Should i try running 64bit mode? 32 runs fine..

One problem im having on this fresh install is my sound pops when it first plays a sound. Very weird anyone else have this problem?

I can run in either perfectly and I only switched back to 32-bit mode yesterday from using 64-bit mode for the last week. For me, there's absolutely no difference in running either, and I had forgotten mine was running in 64-bit until I checked my com.apple.Boot.plist for something else and noticed it.. :P

As for the sound, there is a note on the front page of this thread under the 'Up to date info that's not in the PDF guide' section' about this. You need to change the model of your mac in SMBIOS.plist. I have since, however changed mine back to iMac9,1 to help with DSDT SpeedStep, though it gets the 'audio pop' back. But as I am still in testing stages I don't know if that's going to be permanent yet.

Capt_Boom

Capt_Boom

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

I wouldn't have a clue how to patch those devices in

There's an even newer DSDT on my DSDT thread here which you can use for this mobo but you will need to read the post and strip out the P-State / C-State info as they are for my CPU.

I use the bootloader to inject my graphics/ethernet now as this keeps the DSDT more generic meaning I can share it with you all ;)

But if you want to add your network / video in then you need to look at your original DSDT created by ACPIPatcher and copy the code for video/ethernet in to the new DSDT I have supplied.

As it turns out i was able to figure it out myself.

Thanks blackosx

I think once i get an optimum dsdt i'd like to build a patched bios and flash my motherboard.

Since this is a dedicated osx box and will never run windows i'm not concerned with dual booting.

sjpapa

sjpapa

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Upgrade 10.5.8 to 10.6 with this guide.

First of all: Great Guide, very detailed and foolproof! many thanks for the good work!!! :D

However, [Houston] I have a problem:

Have one parent 10.5.8 disk and one clone 10.5.8 [identical copy of parent] where I want to install upgrade to SnowL.
Installed Chameleon on both disks [RC3], and configured the /Extra directory on the clone with teh kexts and .plists according to the detailed guide and my system.

On reboot the system hangs at:
ACPI_SMCPlatformPlugin::start waitForServiceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

any ideas how to continue? Also I saw that many kexts failed to load....

Xider59

Xider59

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi blackosx!

I have 2 problems with my Snow Leopard:

1. When I'm trying to restart or to turn off the computer my hdd's and display are turning off, but completely the machine shuts down only after 30 seconds of waiting (I mean power led and fans).
Tried different versions of OpenHaltRestart.kext and even EvOReboot.kext - no results. Think the problem is in DSDT, but I need your opinion.

2. Something wrong with my internet connection. I use PCI Card Realtek 8139 instead built-in as my provider uses its MAC-Address. I can't change the MAC-Address of my built-in and i've tried a lot of methods of changing it written on the net. It would be great working with my PCI card only if there haven't been speed limit. All tweaker applications show that there are no limits! But that is the fact: my internet connection 200 KB/s, my mac speed 30-50 KB/s not higher.
And I've noticed that PCI card won't been noticed by OSX until it is in PCI Slot 2!
Think the problem again in the DSDT.

This DSDT blows me up! It was excellent without it! PCI card worked in PCI Slot 1 and the speed was high. And rebooting worked! Why DSDT! Stupid Clock Step! Why they wrote 4 instead of 2?
Er... is it the only reason to use DSDT?

I tried to use DSDT from your guide and it didn't work for me. I tried your DSDT last without CPU information... Computer started to slow down.

I have no way anymore. I've started to think about downgrading to Leopard...

P.S. Sorry for the complicated sentences and crooked english.
I've been racked with Snow Leopard since September...

keypox

keypox

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Hi ben :(

I haven't come across this before. All I can ask is you double check the device (EFI) strings you are adding. Maybe try adding the string only for your video then if that works, try the ethernet one. If successful, then combine them together?

I can run in either perfectly and I only switched back to 32-bit mode yesterday from using 64-bit mode for the last week. For me, there's absolutely no difference in running either, and I had forgotten mine was running in 64-bit until I checked my com.apple.Boot.plist for something else and noticed it.. :)

As for the sound, there is a note on the front page of this thread under the 'Up to date info that's not in the PDF guide' section' about this. You need to change the model of your mac in SMBIOS.plist. I have since, however changed mine back to iMac9,1 to help with DSDT SpeedStep, though it gets the 'audio pop' back. But as I am still in testing stages I don't know if that's going to be permanent yet.

Thanks for the reply, I guess i will continue to run 32 bit till there is a reason to switch to 64bit. I think some programs still run in 64bit when running 32 bit? Activity monitor list some stuf as intel (64bit) others as as just Intel

BTW, all the crashes i was having, have seemed to go away after updating my bios to F9 (on GA p35-ds3l) running wonderfully now.

I will take a look at the front page :) I would like speedstep to work too, but dont think it works with overclock anyways...

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,102 posts

As it turns out i was able to figure it out myself.
I think once i get an optimum dsdt i'd like to build a patched bios and flash my motherboard.

Well done. As for flashing your motherboard with a patched BIOS, you can if you like buy why bother now we can override DSDT with the latest bootloaders?

Have one parent 10.5.8 disk and one clone 10.5.8 [identical copy of parent] where I want to install upgrade to SnowL.
Installed Chameleon on both disks [RC3], and configured the /Extra directory on the clone with teh kexts and .plists according to the detailed guide and my system.

On reboot the system hangs at:
ACPI_SMCPlatformPlugin::start waitForServiceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

I have never tried to upgrade to Snow Leopard from Leopard, only a fresh install. As you have installed Chameleon RC3 on both HDD's are you selecting the correct HDD (the clone) in BIOS to boot from? Sounds like the system is not finding fakemsc.kext.

This DSDT blows me up! It was excellent without it! PCI card worked in PCI Slot 1 and the speed was high. And rebooting worked! Why DSDT! Stupid Clock Step! Why they wrote 4 instead of 2?
Er... is it the only reason to use DSDT?

If your machine was 'excellent without it' then go back to what you were using before.. To get Snow Leopard up and running all you need is a basic DSDT patched with the CMOS reset fix as my DSDT guide explains. I used my Snow Leopard install perfectly for months with only the basic patched DSDT.

All the latest manual patching being done is just to get our hacks more mac like and to tweak our systems to work more efficiently and utilise the hardware better, like speedstep etc.. If you can't get it working then don't worry.

Thanks for the reply, I guess i will continue to run 32 bit till there is a reason to switch to 64bit. I think some programs still run in 64bit when running 32 bit? Activity monitor list some stuf as intel (64bit) others as as just Intel

BTW, all the crashes i was having, have seemed to go away after updating my bios to F9 (on GA p35-ds3l) running wonderfully now.

I will take a look at the front page -_- I would like speedstep to work too, but dont think it works with overclock anyways...

Yep. Most 64-bit apps will run perfectly well when you boot your kernel in 32-bit mode so you really don't need to use 64-bit mode.
Good news you have a stable system now you have updated your BIOS. And for SpeedStepping, you might be able to use it with an overclock, but I recommend reading FormerleyKnownAs' Vanilla SpeedStep thread.

jotti

jotti

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
A very comprehensive guide indeed blackosx. Kudos to you.
Everything worked as described with minimal kext set and even without EFI for network and graphics.

The only problem is the 10.16.1 update:
After the update sound is gone. This seems to be a common problem that also affects "real" mac's.

Any ideas or back to voodo hda?
Thanks

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,102 posts

A very comprehensive guide indeed blackosx. Kudos to you.
Everything worked as described with minimal kext set and even without EFI for network and graphics.

The only problem is the 10.16.1 update:
After the update sound is gone. This seems to be a common problem that also affects "real" mac's.

Any ideas or back to voodo hda?
Thanks

Thank you. But since when did this guide use VoodooHDA?
Audio should be done with HDEF patched in to your DSDT, then using a LegacyHDA.kext in /E/E.
10.6.1 has no problems with that.

titan4

titan4

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
So somebody tried 10.6.2 ? :)

jotti

jotti

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thank you. But since when did this guide use VoodooHDA?
Audio should be done with HDEF patched in to your DSDT, then using a LegacyHDA.kext in /E/E.
10.6.1 has no problems with that.

blackosx
I did not use VoodooHDA but HDEF patched into my DSD.
But sound went when upgraded to 10.6.1 so I am thinking of using VoodooHDAbecause that works on my 10.5.8 installation. 10.6.1 still in test.

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,102 posts

So somebody tried 10.6.2 ? ;)

Thanks for tip off titan4 :)
Just updated via software update on my backup install without problem.

Although I had no problems updating I recommend everybody reads Netkas' 10.6.2 post before updating.
And as usual, it's always worth updating your backup install first to ensure everything works as it's supposed to.

EDIT: Check the front page for any latest information regarding the 10.6.2 update.

Attached File  Screen_shot_2009_11_09_at_22.11.59.png   33.41KB   12 downloads

blackosx
I did not use VoodooHDA but HDEF patched into my DSD.
But sound went when upgraded to 10.6.1 so I am thinking of using VoodooHDAbecause that works on my 10.5.8 installation. 10.6.1 still in test.

Okay. But you shouldn't need to use VoodooHDA.
Nobody else has ever mentioned any problems with audio not working after updating to 10.6.1. All I can suggest is you double check your ALC888 HDEF audio code in your DSDT and re-add the LegacyHDA.kext from my Support Files.

pavels

pavels

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Thank you for the excellent guide, managed to install the system in aprox one hour.

My config:

GA-P35-DS3L Rev 1 BIOS F7C, Quad core 6600 2.4Ghz, 4GB DDR 800Mhz, nVidia 8500GT 512MB, 2 x 500GB SATA II Hard Drive, IDE DVD-RW, USB Keyboard & Mouse

I used option 3 for install, launched from my existing leopard 10.5.5, did not had to do the fixes for kernel panic afterwards as I didn't got those.

Initially I've skipped Video, Network and DSDT just to see if I can boot up ... it worked, added the Video and Network .. .still no audio. To workaround the cmos reset i saved a profile using as I remember F12 in bios so at each reboot it prompted to reload a good profile. Tried to put the audio using EFI string as for video but didn't worked. I copied your DSDT and now I have audio ... tx again!

I have dual monitor, one is from the DVI output and one is from vga output of the video card.

One small issue. Tried starting Front Row and I just get two black screens. I looked in System Profile ? at the video and it seems it's recognised correctly. I tried to use the EFIInstaller (or how it's called, sorry I'm at work and I have a bad memory with names - or maybe it was OSXTools ? ) to enable QE/CI (I can not see any reference tin System Profile about this in graphics.
First time the tool told that QE/CI is disabled - enabled and reboot. Front Row still not working - checked again with EFITools/EFIInstaller and this time when reading the QE/CI flag it displayed an exception something like Boolean is -1 or so.

Now the question ... is front row working for you in 1.6.1 and if yes is there some app to tell me if the graphics card is correctly installed/working? I'll try to follow also your DSDT guide maybe if I build one of my own will work better . ..although as I understand your DSDT does not have the video in .. .so should not be different? Any thoughts?

To end: Thanks again for the guide.

blackosx

blackosx

InsanelyMacaholic

• Coders
  • 3,102 posts

Now the question ... is front row working for you in 1.6.1 and if yes is there some app to tell me if the graphics card is correctly installed/working? I'll try to follow also your DSDT guide maybe if I build one of my own will work better . ..although as I understand your DSDT does not have the video in .. .so should not be different? Any thoughts?

Front Row works for me in 10.6.2, I don't really use it so I don't think I ever tried it in 10.6.1. But my guess would be yes.
To see if you graphics are working correctly you can check System Profiler to see if it's recognised as the right model.
Attached File  Screen_shot_2009_11_09_at_22.48.42.png   70.32KB   18 downloads
For checking QE/CI there is no software I know of that states it in words. But opening dashboard, clicking the plus sign and dragging a widget on to the screen should show you a fancy ripple effect. If you see that then I guess one of them is working. And using spaces, expose should be smooth too.

pavels

pavels

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

For checking QE/CI there is no software I know of that states it in words. But opening dashboard, clicking the plus sign and dragging a widget on to the screen should show you a fancy ripple effect. If you see that then I guess one of them is working. And using spaces, expose should be smooth too.

Thank you for the reply, will try!

EnzoFX

EnzoFX

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts
So update went fine without updating to the 10.6.2 SleepEnabler kext? I would play it safe and update the kext, but I use the modified version that also prevents the g92 mouse lag.

Edit:
Found out the hardway =P SleepEnabler without a doubt needs to be updated. Though the KP was a quick fix. However, I am getting the dreaded mouse lag again =/

So, Anyone got a 10.6.2 SleepEnabler.kext that blocks the AppleUpstreamUserClient.kext that causes the mouse lag?
Or another fix? Aside from just deleting the kext at fault from the system.

bigpoppa206

bigpoppa206

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts

Actually there is...or was: http://www.versiontr...fo/macosx/15911

A little utility we used back in the day to check Quartz Extreme.

I see Solow has offered help with this. Did it help you? as Spotlight has been an issue on other threads - have a search for a process named 'mdworker', I think it spends 5 or so hours cataloguing your system. Funny thing is though, is I have never noticed the problem with any of my 10.6 installs.

Never did find the problem. Backed everything up, reinstalled, all is quiet now. I tried watching mdworker to see if it was the culprit, but it was not.

GoGades

GoGades

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Just finished upgrading to 10.6.2

1. Removed SleepEnabler.kext from my Cham partiton
2. Reboot
3. Apply 10.6.2
4. Auto-reboot
5. Install latest Netkas SleepEnabler.kext on my Cham partiton
6. Reboot

All done. It's only been a few minutes, but everything seems to be working fine, no mouse lag or any other odd behavior (or worse).

Never had such an easy update (well, maybe 10.6.1 :P ) ! Thanks again blackosx !

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy