[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

I have just flash my BIOS with it and just rebooted, and yes I now see the Quick Boot option in BIOS in the Advanced BIOS features page. I will try the Quick Boot feature in a few minutes and report back if my Ethernet also drops as you and Rednous have reported.

EDIT: I have just rebooted with the Quick Boot feature and Ethernet is working fine. BTW, I am NOT using the 'EthernetBuiltin' boot option in my com.apple.Boot.plist, or Device (LAN0) in DSDT, or and device (EFI) strings for Ethernet.

Just been looking through the various threads (I just flashed to a newish BIOS, thanks to thiagomorales for the link for my EP43-DS3L), and now thinking about flashing to the even newer bios with Quick Boot. ;)

From what I've read, it seems like ethernet may not work from a cold boot with Quick Boot enabled on some of these new beta BIOSes. Just an educated guess, I've not flashed yet to such a BIOS.

OK, my audio problems are apparently worse than I thought. I wiped off OS X from my computer and put Windows 7 on it, and the audio is still dead!

The audio was working with my Leopard install, and had been working when Windows 7 and a previous install of Leopard were installed on it, but since I put Snow Leopard on the computer, I've got no sound whatsoever. Both SL and W7 both see some kinda sound card (Windows 7 only sees S/PDIF), and let me change the volume, but there's no sound.

Any ideas?

Just been looking through the various threads (I just flashed to a newish BIOS, thanks to thiagomorales for the link for my EP43-DS3L), and now thinking about flashing to the even newer bios with Quick Boot. :)

From what I've read, it seems like ethernet may not work from a cold boot with Quick Boot enabled on some of these new beta BIOSes. Just an educated guess, I've not flashed yet to such a BIOS.

It might be different for your mobo, but with BIOS F11c on my GE-EP45-DS3L, ethernet works just fine from a cold boot using the new Quick Boot feature :(

@jmc1 - is audio enabled in BIOS?

A note regarding Chameleon RC4's system-id patch, which has allowed us to remove PlatformUUID.kext and the SMUUID key/string in our com.apple.Boot.plist.

It seems to be generating the same hardware UUID of DF557FA2-C304-556B-A442-960AB835CB5D for everyone who uses it. This doesn't seem to be a problem with regards to your machine working, but does leave it easy for some software to identify all our machines easily as the same or AKA, hackintosh. If you want to get around this issue then here is what is available now.

Rekursor has modified Chameleon RC4's boot file to allow us to choose what UUID key gets injected at boot. You will need to download the Binaries from his post, unarchive it and use the boot file from the /sym/i386/ folder instead of the original Chameleon RC4 boot file.

Then to complete the process, you will need to add the following in to your com.apple.Boot.plist

<key>SystemID</key>

<string>Insert your required UUID here</string>

I just used the UUID code that I previously used with RC3, and how I described it in the guide.

Reboot your system and you will now see a new Hardware UUID reflected in System Profiler. You will notice, for instance, that itunes thinks it's the first run again, like when you originally upgraded to RC4.

EDIT: From reading Rekursor's original post he says that the system generates an IOPlatformUUID from the system ID we enter. When we look at the Hardware UUID in system profiler, it shows us the IOPlatformUUID.

I was getting an UUID of DF557FA2-C304-556B-A442-960AB835CB5D after the above but as it turned out my SMBIOS.plist had:

[center]<key>SMUUID</key>
<string>myuuidnumberhere</string>[/center]

Once I deleted the above from SMBIOS.plist and rebooted the UUID is different than "DF557FA2-..." but doesn't match the UUID that I installed. Is this what I should be getting? Just reading the above makes me think so: "EDIT: From reading Rekursor's original post he says that the system generates an IOPlatformUUID from the system ID we enter. When we look at the Hardware UUID in system profiler, it shows us the IOPlatformUUID."

Thanks!

Hey blackosx,

apparently the SleepEnabler.kext included with your package was not fit for my system (probably the 8600gts),

I recognized jumpy mouse behaviour in addition to the skipping videos and suddenly remembered i had read something about this. If anyone else experiences problems like that with a similar video card check out this thread and replace your SleepEnabler.kext (after compressing it for a backup) with the one in the thread. I do not know whether the package already included this version of Pista7's SleepEnabler (22/08/09) but all my problems disappeared at once and the system is rock stable ever since i did the switch. :( Apparently the issue was an AppleUpstreamUserClient related lag (some DRM component, which makes sense because it mostly happened when i played some media).

Really glad to have this one figured out! :)

Of course!... well done Weishauptus.. I opted for the Disabler.kext route and had forgotten that Pista7 had updated his Sleepenabler to include the AppleUpstreamUserClient block... I will have to update my Support Files to include this as an option for NVidia users that suffer the QuickTime mouse lag bug.

Thanks Weishauptus :)

EDIT: That was why when I played the HD video, it was smooth for me. I had the Disabler.kext installed ( I had forgotten about all that).

EDIT: I have updated the Support Files (v1.9) to include this.

I had the jumping cursor while QT or iTunes was running (of course Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 2 wireless) and searched for a solution. The latest blackosx file SleepEnabler.kext didn't have the AppleUpstreamUserClientDisabler fix. So I downloaded this 10.6.2 SleepEnabler kext with iTunes lag fix and just updated:

<key>CFBundleVersion</key>
<string>1.0.0</string>

To:

<string>1.0.1</string>

Seems to be working great!

Happy Holidays Everyone!

Yep, says the audio codec is enabled under integrated peripherals.

Well I don't know what it could be jmc1.

As my DSDT guide shows, all that is needed is the HDEF patch in DSDT and the LegacyHDA.kext that is in my support Files.

I was getting an UUID of DF557FA2-C304-556B-A442-960AB835CB5D after the above but as it turned out my SMBIOS.plist had:

<key>SMUUID</key>

<string>myuuidnumberhere</string>

Once I deleted the above from SMBIOS.plist and rebooted the UUID is different than "DF557FA2-..." but doesn't match the UUID that I installed. Is this what I should be getting? Just reading the above makes me think so: "EDIT: From reading Rekursor's original post he says that the system generates an IOPlatformUUID from the system ID we enter. When we look at the Hardware UUID in system profiler, it shows us the IOPlatformUUID."

Thanks!

Good to see you are reading the thread Johnny V.

And yes, we enter a system-id in com.apple.Boot.plist and the system generates a IOPlatformUUID from it.

I had the jumping cursor while QT or iTunes was running (of course Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 2 wireless) and searched for a solution. The latest blackosx file SleepEnabler.kext didn't have the AppleUpstreamUserClientDisabler fix. So I downloaded this 10.6.2 SleepEnabler kext with iTunes lag fix and just updated:

<string>1.0.0</string>

To:

<string>1.0.1</string>

Seems to be working great!

Happy Holidays Everyone!

I didn't know there was a new sleepenabler.kext for 10.6.2 with the added Disabler.kext. I will have to add it to the support files, thanks for letting me know. It's good to see someone doing their own investigations. :)

Since I have been using vanilla speedstep I no longer use SleepEnabler as I don't disable AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement with NullCPUPowerManagement.kext.

And of course, Happy Christmas :shock:

Thanks. Works 100% on my hardware in signature.

Well done retomi :(

Modified boot file update

Just an update to my previous post here about the modified Chameleon RC4 boot file which included Duvel300's restart fix and Rekursor's system-id patch.

Thiagomorales spotted that I had missed the pciroot fix that Rekursor had also applied with his fix, so he has recompiled a new boot file which you can use instead of the one I made. You can find it here.

What it means for you is that you no longer need to include the PCIroot key/string in com.apple.Boot.plist.

Note: If Chameleon release a newer version or you ever need to revert back to the original RC4 boot file, you might need to add the PCIroot ket/string back in if you use the GraphicsEnabler boot option.

hello ! I have updated from 10.6.0 to 10.6.2 and did the following :

remplace 10.6.2 kext :

GeForce.kext

GeForce7xxxGLDriver.bundle

GeForce8xxxGLDriver.bundle

GeForceGA.plugin

GeForceVADriver.bundle

in /S/L/E with them from 10.6.1 (extract from Pacifist)

and I still have a blue screen after the grey Apple. What have i done wrong ? I replaced the kext by booting on a Kalyway DVD and used the terminal (for example "cp -r /Volumes/USBflash/GeForce.txt /System/Library/Extensions"). Should I do something else after ?

Thank you !

PS : I have a GeForce 7300GT 256mb on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L rev.2

and I still have a blue screen after the grey Apple. What have i done wrong ?

PS : I have a GeForce 7300GT 256mb on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L rev.2

Hi plipli

I don't use a 7 series nVidia card so luckily for me I never had to deal with problem you have. I still think that fix is an ugly one but I don't know if anyone else discovered a better way to deal with it. Short of buying a newer video card, I don't know what to suggest. Maybe somebody else here who got around this problem can help you?

hey I succeeded using theses kext : http://uploading.com/files/get/mm3b6dce/

what I did to remplace the kext (I think the Kalyway boot method is bad) :

format my USB stick in hfs, put the kext inside.

single user boot in chaemeleon, used the -s

/sbin/mount -uw /

mkdir /Volumes/usbstick

ls /dev/disk* (to see my usb stick scientific name)

mount -t hfs /dev/disk1s1 /Volumes/usbstick

and then copy the kext from the USB stick to the /S/L/E

chmod and chown them

type reboot (i think this help creating the cache because i saw some lines)

for all noobs like me read this : http://www.infinitemac.com/f5/how-to-insta...stick-in-t1890/ this is helpfull

One more time thank you everybody here, I am running a 10.6.2 hackintosh for 500€ instead of 2200€ :(

Is this going to work on a UD3R or should I rather try this installation: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...903&st=1840

I have a GA-EP45C-UD3R and except for a few small modifications, this is the install guide I use. I have an ALC889a sound chipset instead of the ALC888. I had to a different BIOS os course for my board, but learning the ins and outs of DSDT will pay off in the long run. I think you'll be fine.

I have a GA-EP45C-UD3R and except for a few small modifications, this is the install guide I use. I have an ALC889a sound chipset instead of the ALC888. I had to a different BIOS os course for my board, but learning the ins and outs of DSDT will pay off in the long run. I think you'll be fine.

So far looks like a great guide.

I just have some input; I am reading this for the first time. When you have an update, update the instruction list, and release a new guide. Very confusing to leave all the old stuff, go here, go there etc. I am pretty sharp, and wrote one of the first guides, but this guide is very confusing, not to read and follow, but trying to figure out what was updated etc, the page doesnt easily flow from a user's point of view.

I only post this to help, I am sure you spent lots of time putting this together, so I only tell you this because I want to make it better and easier. ;)

Thanks, for all your hard work, and as soon as I figure out what is new, and what is still useful, your guide will have me up running snow leopard

You are my hero !

So far looks like a great guide.

I just have some input; I am reading this for the first time. When you have an update, update the instruction list, and release a new guide. Very confusing to leave all the old stuff, go here, go there etc. I am pretty sharp, and wrote one of the first guides, but this guide is very confusing, not to read and follow, but trying to figure out what was updated etc, the page doesnt easily flow from a user's point of view.

I only post this to help, I am sure you spent lots of time putting this together, so I only tell you this because I want to make it better and easier. ;)

Thanks, for all your hard work, and as soon as I figure out what is new, and what is still useful, your guide will have me up running snow leopard

You are my hero !

Hi lensboard. I haven't heard from you for a while - welcome back ;)

Yes you are right, about the guide. It is fairly old now, as I have mentioned on the front page. Thanks for the constructive criticism. It might give me the push I need to re-write it, as I have sat down a couple of times in the last six weeks to updated it, but so much has changed in the OSX86 scene since I first wrote it - it does need a re-write.

But have a go with the guide as it is, and hopefully from the latest support files you can piece together what's needed.

Regards

blackosx

ps. Sorry about my attempted post, I replied using IE from someone else's PC... damn rubbish!! I will get back to home later tonight and hopefully get time to be back on my hack for some proper Q&A is required.

Hi lensboard. I haven't heard from you for a while - welcome back :)

Yes you are right, about the guide. It is fairly old now, as I have mentioned on the front page. Thanks for the constructive criticism. It might give me the push I need to re-write it, as I have sat down a couple of times in the last six weeks to updated it, but so much has changed in the OSX86 scene since I first wrote it - it does need a re-write.

But have a go with the guide as it is, and hopefully from the latest support files you can piece together what's needed.

Regards

blackosx

ps. Sorry about my attempted post, I replied using IE from someone else's PC... damn rubbish!! I will get back to home later tonight and hopefully get time to be back on my hack for some proper Q&A is required.

Thanks for your response, I will give it a go. I have been out of the scene of over a year, my machine works fine, so I may just call it a day. The easiest way to release updates is to include everything needed in the guide as a one download with a version number, so that someone could follow the guide of any given release from start to finish with the included files. Example, the new boot file, etc; put the new file in the package, edit the guide, and release a new file package.

Anyway, I again want to add that you are providing valuable info, and I don't intend to put you down (I think you know that). so keep up the good work :P

For some inexplicable reason, the sound randomly came back, and now I have a fully working 10.6.2 install. I guess I will never understand the black magic of the motherboard BIOS, if that's even what it was.

Thank you for all your hard work in putting this install guide together!

Thanks for your response, I will give it a go. I have been out of the scene of over a year, my machine works fine, so I may just call it a day. The easiest way to release updates is to include everything needed in the guide as a one download with a version number, so that someone could follow the guide of any given release from start to finish with the included files. Example, the new boot file, etc; put the new file in the package, edit the guide, and release a new file package.

Of course, you are right lensboard. I did start by doing it that way, but when things changed so quickly I found it difficult to find the time to keep the guide, the support files and the BootCD up to date at the same pace.

To be honest I think I took too much on with my DSDT guide, dual boot guide and Chameleon Themes, whilst still trying yo learn and keep up to date. The dual boot guide is old now and not really used anymore and DSDT has been the thing taking my time. But hopefully soon it might be something of the past if MasterChief has his way?

Anyway, I again want to add that you are providing valuable info, and I don't intend to put you down (I think you know that). so keep up the good work :)

Thanks, and no offence taken.

For some inexplicable reason, the sound randomly came back, and now I have a fully working 10.6.2 install. I guess I will never understand the black magic of the motherboard BIOS, if that's even what it was.

Thank you for all your hard work in putting this install guide together!

Well done, I am happy you have it sorted :o

OK, well I am up and running using the boot cd method on the first try after reading the guide step by step. I did have to use the older support files because some of the kexts were missing (I wanted to follow the guide exactly) from the newer version.

Now I am going to use software update, something new for a hackintosh .. :)

We'll see, thanks for the help, and glad you took my input as constructive, just get rid of all the update notes, and just release complete packages (you can post update notes on what changed) with step by step instructions as you feel the need. Just release exactly what you do for your machine, not what one might do, to many choices can be confusing.

I know how much time this takes, and that is the reason I stopped a year ago when I handed it over to you. So Thanks

ouch... kernel panic updating to 10.6.2 more reading

ok, sleep kext updated ....dummy me, working fine. Now to customize, thanks BlackOSX

OK, well I am up and running using the boot cd method on the first try after reading the guide step by step. I did have to use the older support files because some of the kexts were missing (I wanted to follow the guide exactly) from the newer version.

Now I am going to use software update, something new for a hackintosh .. :P

ouch... kernel panic updating to 10.6.2 more reading

ok, sleep kext updated ....dummy me, working fine. Now to customize, thanks BlackOSX

Thanks for the report lensboard.

Well done with the install and for working past the SleepEnabler issue with 10.6.2.

We'll see, thanks for the help, and glad you took my input as constructive,

I have learned to listen to feedback as a judgemental attitude gets us nowhere. After all, this is a hobby and should be fun :)

I know how much time this takes, and that is the reason I stopped a year ago when I handed it over to you. So Thanks

Indeed it does.