[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

blackosx,

TQ for sharing with us the revised version.

Confirmed that it worked on my DS-P35-DS3 E8400 system :D .

Restart takes a bit longer (10 sec) vs previous OpenHaltRestart.kext (3sec) :P

What is the experience on your restart?

Have a nice day.

It may be be slightly slower, but not 10 seconds. I will time it it a minute and post the result.

EDIT: Yes, from clicking the confirmation in the restart dialog box to hearing the BIOS POST is 10 seconds here too. That's fine with me :(

BlackOSX, have you encountered this article before?

http://efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=508

It seems to be a RealtekR1000SL.kext that is compatrible with 64-bit and 32-bit that can support Bonjour.

Yes, I wrote about it in the bonjour thread. Bitshoveler's work is the only kext that works for networking & bonjour with the kernel in 64-bit work.

I personally still use ifconfig becuase I can't you get it to load from /E/E/.. But if you want to use it go ahead. It's completely up to you :)

WHy when I click on >here< link

Duvel300 has updated his RestartFix!

This new version doesn't require us to add the FADT.aml to /Extra. Read more here.

It shows me the same page and there is now any post about Duvel300

The link on the front page takes you to this post which tells you what you need to do and provides a link to where you can get the file from.

I have found a link to F11c BIOS for the GA-EP45-DS3L

I am away from my hack so I haven't been able to try it, and I don't know what changes have been made.

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/gigaby...a-ep45-ds3l.htm

NOTE: Use at our own Risk!

As the Gigabyte website for our mobo still shows 11b as the latest version.

Tweaktown also shows this BIOS but it's required to register with FileDen to get it.

and if anyone gets to try it first then let us know if there are any noticeable changes etc.

EDIT: I have emailed a contact at Gigabyte for more info..

The link on the front page takes you to this post which tells you what you need to do and provides a link to where you can get the file from.

Well I click on the link you post on here but still the same just open a new window and reload the same page of you guide with all the info from yout first post on august

and nothing abouth Duvel or any other news updates

I know what to expect to shows me as posts right below your original one bit nothing shows

Well I click on the link you post on here but still the same just open a new window and reload the same page of you guide with all the info from yout first post on august

Okay. Well it points to post number #1861 on page 94. From 'Dec 20 2009, 10:53 PM'. See if that helps ;)

I have found a link to F11c BIOS for the GA-EP45-DS3L

I am away from my hack so I haven't been able to try it, and I don't know what changes have been made.

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/gigaby...a-ep45-ds3l.htm

NOTE: Use at our own Risk!

As the Gigabyte website for our mobo still shows 11b as the latest version.

Tweaktown also shows this BIOS but it's required to register with FileDen to get it.

and if anyone gets to try it first then let us know if there are any noticeable changes etc.

Same with mine GA-EP43-DS3L has updated to F9F.

It was released on 18.Nov 09..

I´m trying to know what´s changed..

Regards.

Yes, I wrote about it in the bonjour thread. Bitshoveler's work is the only kext that works for networking & bonjour with the kernel in 64-bit work.

I personally still use ifconfig becuase I can't you get it to load from /E/E/.. But if you want to use it go ahead. It's completely up to you :)

Here's how;

Copy /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext to ~/Documents/Extra/kext/.

Copy /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext to ~/Documents/Extra/kext/.

Copy RealtekR1000SL.kext into ~/Documents/Extra/kext/.

Change <string>Network-Root</string> to <string>Root</string> in ~/Documents/Extra/kext/RealtekR1000SL.kext/Contents/Info.plist.

Change <string>Network-Root</string> to <string>Root</string> in ~/Documents/Extra/kext/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Info.plist.

In Terminal run kextcache and copy the new Extensions.mkext to your bootloader's Extra folder;

[mac05:~] me% sudo -s

Password:

[mac05:~] root# kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m ~/Documents/Extra/Extensions.mkext ~/Documents/Extra/kext

[mac05:~] root# cp ~/Documents/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/Extra/

[mac05:~] root#

Here's how;

Copy /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext to ~/Documents/Extra/kext/.

Copy /System/Library/Extensions/IOPCIFamily.kext to ~/Documents/Extra/kext/.

Copy RealtekR1000SL.kext into ~/Documents/Extra/kext/.

Change <string>Network-Root</string> to <string>Root</string> in ~/Documents/Extra/kext/RealtekR1000SL.kext/Contents/Info.plist.

Change <string>Network-Root</string> to <string>Root</string> in ~/Documents/Extra/kext/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Info.plist.

In Terminal run kextcache and copy the new Extensions.mkext to your bootloader's Extra folder;

[mac05:~] me% sudo -s

Password:

[mac05:~] root# kextcache -v 1 -t -l -m ~/Documents/Extra/Extensions.mkext ~/Documents/Extra/kext

[mac05:~] root# cp ~/Documents/Extra/Extensions.mkext /Volumes/Boot\ OSX/Extra/

[mac05:~] root#

Thank you d00d. Very kind of you to share:)

Looking at it, it's similar to how I used to do it with 10.5.x (I also found then that I could get away without IOPCIFamily.kext and just use the IONetworkingFamily.kext) I'll try it with both, then just the one. I had never got round to trying it with Snow Leopard.

I am not on my hack at the moment, so I will try it when I get a chance.

Will I need the files' owner:group set to root:wheel, with the correct permissions for the kextcache command to work?

Thank you d00d. Very kind of you to share:)

(Similar to how I used to do it with 10.5.x)

I am not on my hack at the moment, so I will try it when I get a chance.

Will I need the files' owner:group set to root:wheel, with the correct permissions for the kextcache command to work?

You're welcome.

Yes, my instructions need to be revised to sudo to root *before* copying.

Copying files as root should maintain ownership as root:wheel with correct file modes.

I also left out the part about mounting Boot OSX, for my setup it would be;

[mac05:~] root# diskutil list

(check to see which disks, as it can change between reboots for multiple disk RAID)

[mac05:~] root# diskutil mount disk0s3

Blackosx and other fellows,

About my problems with bonjour (mentioned in post #1857), I can say that with RealtekR1000SL.kext I got rid of them and Bonjour now works like a charm. I can see that en0 is not in promiscuous mode with this kext, but bonjour works, which leads me to ask how promiscuous mode and bonjour are related.

The only problem I have now is that with RealtekR1000SL.kext I lose the option "Wake for Ethernet network access" under Energy Saver preferences, which I used to have when with bonjour fixed by Sonotone's ifconfig installer. Why? Am I missing something? Why the "wake on lan" feature doesn't work with the kext?

Thanks.

You're welcome.

Yes, my instructions need to be revised to sudo to root *before* copying.

Copying files as root should maintain ownership as root:wheel with correct file modes.

Thanks for the confirmation.

I also left out the part about mounting Boot OSX, for my setup it would be;

[mac05:~] root# diskutil list

(check to see which disks, as it can change between reboots for multiple disk RAID)

[mac05:~] root# diskutil mount disk0s3

No problem ;)

.....how promiscuous mode and bonjour are related.

The only problem I have now is that with RealtekR1000SL.kext I loose the option "Wake for Ethernet network access" under Energy Saver preferences....

For a bonjour and promiscuous description it's easier if I point you here which is where the original ifconfig came from. Hopefully that will give you some more info?

As for your missing "Wake for Ethernet network access" option, to be honest I don't know. When I get around to trying the RealtekR1000SL.kext properly I will let you know if I have the same.

For a bonjour and promiscuous description it's easier if I point you here which is where the original ifconfig came from. Hopefully that will give you some more info?

As for your missing "Wake for Ethernet network access" option, to be honest I don't know. When I get around to trying the RealtekR1000SL.kext properly I will let you know if I have the same.

I discovered what is killing bonjour (issue mentioned in post #1857): Wmware Fusion. I was running Windows 7 in a virtual machine with bridged networking enabled. Every time I quit Wmware the network card also exits promiscuous mode.

I fixed this with the LauchDaemon file I found in the link you provided above, which 'automatically puts en0 into promiscuous mode at startup and every 60 seconds thereafter (in case another application — such as VMware — disables promiscuous mode at any point)'. I just copied it to /Library/LaunchDaemons and changed its ownership with chown -R root:wheel.

Everything is OK now.

Thank you Blackosx.

ok, I put the IONetworkingFamily, changed to Network-root to root, and changed network-root on both RealtekR1000, and RealtekR1000SL.kext (I'm on 32-bit, prly alwys will be)

**deleted IONetworkingFamily since "Wake from Ethernet" gets killed.

does anyone know how I can test bonjour?

Here's how;

Thanks d00d - RealtekR1000SL working from /E/E just fine now :wacko:

@jamonda - I am now also missing "Wake for Ethernet network access" option from System Prefs/Energy Saver. However, it's not a problem for me as I never use that feature. But if I find out why it is, then I will let you know.

I discovered what is killing bonjour (issue mentioned in post #1857): Wmware Fusion. I was running Windows 7 in a virtual machine with bridged networking enabled. Every time I quit Wmware the network card also exits promiscuous mode.

I fixed this with the LauchDaemon file I found in the link you provided above, which 'automatically puts en0 into promiscuous mode at startup and every 60 seconds thereafter (in case another application — such as VMware — disables promiscuous mode at any point)'. I just copied it to /Library/LaunchDaemons and changed its ownership with chown -R root:wheel.

Everything is OK now.

Thank you Blackosx.

Well spotted, VMWare was one of the issues that Daniel U Becker mentioned in his page about ifconfig, hence the 60 second refresh. (I had forgotten about that).

does anyone know how I can test bonjour?

The only way I use bonjour is with the remote app on my iphone to control iTunes.

For anyone who wants to use bitshoveler's RealtekR1000SL.kext for bonjour instead of ifconfig

After d00d's help earlier to run bitshoveler's RealtekR1000SL.kext from /E/E (Thanks again d00d), I have simplified the method somewhat to suit this install.

All you need to do is the following....

To use RealtekR1000SL.kext

• drag (copy) IONetworkingFamily.kext from /System/Library/Extensions in to /E/E

• download RealtekR1000SL.kext from here and drag that in to /E/E

• For each of the above kexts, right-click the kext in /E/E, select show package contents, and open the info.plist in TextEdit. Scroll down to the bottom and change the OSBundleRequired key/string to Root (as below)

<key>OSBundleRequired</key>

<string>Root</string>

That's it :)

Then to remove ifconfig

I was using ifconfig installed with Sonotone's Realtek_Bonjour_enabler which is in the Support Files, and if you were too then you will want to remove the files it installed. They were....

• A bonjour64 folder in /Library/StartupItems/

ifconfig from /usr/local/bin/

Note: to remove the ifconfig file, you might need to type sudo rm usr/local/bin/ifconfig

EDIT: When the next update comes from Apple, it might be worth just removing IONetworkingFamily.kext from the /E/E folder for the first reboot, then repeating the first step of this post with the IONetworkingFamily.kext from S/L/E again. This is just incase apple update IONetworkingFamily.kext.

I'm just about finished with my 10.6.2 install. The only issue I'm having now is that the audio isn't working - OSX thinks it is, because all the options are there and I can change the volume, but I hear no sound.

• I've checked to make sure the speakers are plugged into the right port & are on (always check the obvious first!)

• Having both the EP45-DS3L motherboard and the Intel E7300 C2D processor, I simply used the latest DSDT linked here without making changes to it other than compressing it to an .aml file.

• I added the LegacyHDA.kext as the instructions said to do. I tried booting with it removed, but that disabled the audio controls in OSX as well.

• I updated the BIOS to the latest version (not the unofficial beta).

What did I forget to do here to get audio working?

Sure. If i know anything i report to you. :(

Regards.

I´m at F9F version (already Modded with Gygabyte Slics 2.1) and searching for 'changes' from old version..On forums, some people reports that this updates enable an "Quick boot" feature..

On my BIOS setup, i can see an Quick Boot feature..Could you see these option on you actual version ?

Edit: I´ve read about Ethernet stop works when QuickBoot feature is enabled on BIOS setup..

Well, if you want to try, make these tests.

Regards..

I´m at F9F version (already Modded with Gygabyte Slics 2.1) and searching for 'changes' from old version..On forums, some people reports that this updates enable an "Quick boot" feature..

On my BIOS setup, i can see an Quick Boot feature..Could you see these option on you actual version ?

Edit: I´ve read about Ethernet stop works when QuickBoot feature is enabled on BIOS setup..

Regards..

Well, well, very interesting :) Yep, i can say it's true that ethernet stops working (FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF address in BIOS) when the Quick Boot is turned on. I have an EP43-DS3 which is very similar to your motherboard. This bug was introduced in version F10b of my BIOS so i downgraded it to F10a. There's no use of having Quick Boot (it's realy quick) if the onboard ethernet is not working.

Now Christmas is pretty much here, I have been and will be busy with family & friends so I will only be able to jump on here when I can.. I am sure you will all understand... So can I take this opportunity to wish you all a Merry Christmas :)

Regards..

Thanks Thiago for the note about Quick Boot. After reading your post I looked around again and now TweakTown forums have a direct download link for the GA-EP45-DS3L BIOS F11c.

Link to GA-EP45-DS3L BIOS F11c

or if you like, I have uploaded it on the front page of my DSDT thread.

I have just flash my BIOS with it and just rebooted, and yes I now see the Quick Boot option in BIOS in the Advanced BIOS features page. I will try the Quick Boot feature in a few minutes and report back if my Ethernet also drops as you and Rednous have reported.

EDIT: I have just rebooted with the Quick Boot feature and Ethernet is working fine. BTW, I am NOT using the 'EthernetBuiltin' boot option in my com.apple.Boot.plist, or Device (LAN0) in DSDT, or and device (EFI) strings for Ethernet.

Does this mean you doesn't anymore?

Yes. I have been using ifconfig for months now and it has been flawless for me. But I am now going to run with Bitshoveler's RealtekR1000SL.kext to see how I get on. The choice is entirely up to you :)

I'm just about finished with my 10.6.2 install. The only issue I'm having now is that the audio isn't working - OSX thinks it is, because all the options are there and I can change the volume, but I hear no sound.

• I've checked to make sure the speakers are plugged into the right port & are on (always check the obvious first!)

• Having both the EP45-DS3L motherboard and the Intel E7300 C2D processor, I simply used the latest DSDT linked here without making changes to it other than compressing it to an .aml file.

• I added the LegacyHDA.kext as the instructions said to do. I tried booting with it removed, but that disabled the audio controls in OSX as well.

• I updated the BIOS to the latest version (not the unofficial beta).

What did I forget to do here to get audio working?

Well done jmc1.

For audio, if you have the latest LegacyHDA.kext for 10.6.2 then all I can suggest is you double-check your Device (HDEF) in your DSDT.

Great guide! I installed my Snow Leo, with EP43-DS3 motherboard. Used your LiveCD, my own DSDT and mostly same kexts(without HDA, since i'm going to use SB Live)

still have to make my way through installing hd4670 and SB Live, btw.

And well done to you too thepgo, thanks for reporting.

I have not used an ATI card for a hack so I have no experience to share but I have a couple of links on the front page from others who have setup using them. Good luck :)