[Guide] Vanilla Retail 10.6.x with Chameleon v2 for Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L

blackosx

3,676 posts in this topic

This guide applied on GA-EP43-DS2L successfully on MAc OSX Server 10.6.1

I am trying the 10.6.2 update with the new sleep kext....

Installed 10.6.2 via SW update. It booted OK :unsure:

but it ruined my 'About this Mac' :(

It's great you managed to installl Mac OSX server on your hardware and update it to 10.6.2 but this guide is specific for the GA-EP45-DS3L and not the server edition. So I can't really help you, but at least your 'About this Mac' problem is nothing major.

My motherboard is GA-P35C-DS3R. I can't activate video via DSDT, only with EFI string in boot.plist. Sound works with VoodooHDA.kext, but not with DSDT patch, nor with the kexts from your pack. And I have this problem with usb mouse not working after waking up from hibernation (hibernatemode 1 or 3; works when waking from sleep with hibernatemode 0). Actually, it seems that the DSDT patch only worked to eliminate the CMOS reset bug.

I didn't realise you were using a different mobo to the one this guide is written for... yours uses a different northbridge, southbridge and audio codec!

As far as I know, your video should be okay to be enabled via DSDT. You sound won't work with the supplied LegacyHDA.kext in my Support Files. Maybe your mouse problem after hibernation is also related? I can't test problems on hardware I don't own and therefore, can't give you any accurate info. Hopefully you can find more reliable answers in a P35 thread?

It's great you managed to installl Mac OSX server on your hardware and update it to 10.6.2 but this guide is specific for the GA-EP45-DS3L and not the server edition. So I can't really help you, but at least your 'About this Mac' problem is nothing major.

I didn't realise you were using a different mobo to the one this guide is written for... yours uses a different northbridge, southbridge and audio codec!

As far as I know, your video should be okay to be enabled via DSDT. You sound won't work with the supplied LegacyHDA.kext in my Support Files. Maybe your mouse problem after hibernation is also related? Hopefully you can find more reliable answers in a P35 thread?

"A method is a trick that works twice", the idea is that the same guide worked also for GA-EP43-DS2L.

[with really minor tweaks for sound etc...] This guide was great help for both my GA-EP45 and EP43 on Mac OSX and OSX Server!!!

"A method is a trick that works twice", the idea is that the same guide worked also for GA-EP43-DS2L.

Very true. And this install method can be applied to a many systems. :D All I mean is what I have just posted to jamonda, in that I can only write about what I know. I can't give proper support for hardware that I don't own.

You've got a great guide here...except I can't even get SL installed. My system is a maximus formula board with a rampage bios (0403). All BIOS settings basically stock, except ACPI enabled and SATA set as AHCI. I followed your USB stick instructions to a tee, yet upon boot it crashes and restarts my comp. I can't see what the last line of text is because it disappears too fast. The last line I see before a crash has something to do with "modem". Not sure what's causing the crash. Any ideas? As far as I can tell it's not a KP, it just restarts my comp.

Changing the LegacyHDA.kext won't affect the sound. Were you expecting it to? Have you problems with your audio quality?

No problem with audio quality on Stereo which I am using.

Just assumption on my part that when errors are eliminated, something will improve.

Only negative for now is No front Mic input. Hopefully future LegacyHDA can correct that.

TQ

Have a nice day.

Me too!!

If someone could tell me in a little more detail about P&C-states and how the modification in dsdt are made...

And what the advantages are compared to the current NullCPUPowerManagement.....

Need to judge if tweaking on a perfect running system will pay back.sad.gif

thnx

G.H.

Unplug your current HDD with OS X from the motherboard.

Plug your separate HDD in to SATA port 0 and install Windows 7 on to it.

Then re-plug your OS X HDD back in (it's up to you which SATA ports you use), then in BIOS choose your existing OS X HDD as default boot drive. Your existing Chameleon install will recognise Windows 7 and let you select it. (It might only allow you boot from the 'System Reserved' partition though - wait and see what happens)

Works great, thanks (no, win7 isn't great. it's installation sucks and all this win sucks :D - i use it just to play cod:mw2)

Could someone test this?

I noticed that every time I start IORegistryExplorer 2.1 (default 10.6.0 shipping version from my MacBook Pro) followed by iTunes, I either lose my USB ports (no mouse and keyboard, but the system works) or get iTunes frozen plus if I try to reboot it will hang before turning off the display (I seel the purple space login wallpaper).

Issue 2: trying the fix in LegacyHDA will get me no sound at all (I use the posted DSDT + LegacyHDA.kext to get audio) but my log may have some problems (this is with audio working without the 12th november fix):

14/11/09 5:22:16 PM	loginwindow[28]	Login Window - Returned from Security Agent
14/11/09 5:22:16 PM	loginwindow[28]	USER_PROCESS: 28 console
14/11/09 5:22:16 PM	com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[93]	(com.apple.ReportCrash) Falling back to default Mach exception handler. Could not find: com.apple.ReportCrash.Self
14/11/09 5:25:49 PM	kernel	"mMikeyReceiverFound && 0 != result" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleMikeyDriver/AppleMikeyI2C.cpp" at line 247 goto Exit
14/11/09 5:22:18 PM	com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[93]	(com.apple.Kerberos.renew.plist[119]) Exited with exit code: 1
14/11/09 5:25:49 PM	kernel	Sound assertion "0 != readRegisters ( (UInt8*)&mRegisterCache )" failed in "/SourceCache/AppleHDA/AppleHDA-179.1.4/AppleMikeyDriver/AppleMikeyI2C.cpp" at line 104 goto handler
14/11/09 5:25:49 PM	kernel	Got boot device = IOService:/AppleACPIPlatformExpert/PCI0@0/AppleACPIPCI/SATA@1F,2/AppleAHCI/PRT0@0/IOAHCIDevice@0/AppleAHCIDiskDriver/IOAHCIBlockStorageDevice/IOBlockStorageDriver/Maxtor 6L080M0 Media/IOGUIDPartitionScheme/LELO@2
14/11/09 5:25:49 PM	kernel	BSD root: disk0s2, major 14, minor 2

Issue 3: (note that I'm on 10.6.2), I didn't test it before and I'll try on a clean install, but my Widgets (on every account) act in a weird way.. every time the load the graphics are a bit corrupted (how much may vary) and I need to force a redraw for every one of them to get them back to normal.. never happened anything like that!

-> PS: on a clean install this doesn't happen... wonder why but I don't mind now ^_^

Hi Blackosx,

finally i find the time to update my Hack#1 (GaEP45-DS3L), to SL

I change the GPU to a GeForce 8800 GT (it works fine and is very very clear) and i put an HD only for SL

one is with 10.5.8 and the other have Vista and Win7

i use the launch by terminal method and i dont have any Kp

but i run the TimeMachine restore and it, i think, clean and fix all

it works fine immediatly

i run in 64 bit mode and all software installed run correctly

All ok after upgrade to 10.6.1

I got a KP after reboot of the update to 10.6.2

The problem was SleepEnabler.kext in /E/E

Its necessary to delete it and replace with the new version posted by netkas here

(booting from another install)

After all works fine

thanks "great", a great job for a clean install

zag

Works great, thanks (no, win7 isn't great. it's installation sucks and all this win sucks :( - i use it just to play cod:mw2)

Great to hear that your dual boot on different HDD is working.

Where is your Chameleon install? On the EFI or separate partition of your SL HDD?

I have problem with mine when I boot Win7 from Chameleon on separate partition.

TQ

Does anybody have wake from USB working on this board? I read the with the P35-ds3l it can't do that, but I emailed gigabyte and they said that the ep45-ds3l can if you install "EnableUSBS3XP" in Windows XP. I'm not nearly qualified to hack that and see if it's methods could be implemented on OS X though. Someone with the right expertise should have a look if they want.

Also, I posted in this thread awhile ago about doing the Bonjour hack with a launch daemon instead of an AppleScript. It seems to work alright, but sometimes I have to relaunch it. If someone knows more about launch daemons and wants to play with it, shoot me a PM and I'll send it to you. I think it's a more elegant solution than an AppleScript.

Hi banini_jeque. Yes wake from USB works with this mobo. I can wake my system from sleep with either the mouse or keyboard.

For bonjour, have a look at this thread and you'll see sonotone supplied an installer which installed inconfig as a launchdaemon.

You've got a great guide here...except I can't even get SL installed. My system is a maximus formula board with a rampage bios (0403). All BIOS settings basically stock, except ACPI enabled and SATA set as AHCI. I followed your USB stick instructions to a tee, yet upon boot it crashes and restarts my comp. I can't see what the last line of text is because it disappears too fast. The last line I see before a crash has something to do with "modem". Not sure what's causing the crash. Any ideas? As far as I can tell it's not a KP, it just restarts my comp.

This guide was written using a Gigabyte mobo and I don't have your hardware to test this install on. But I have read that with Asus boards you might need more DSDT tweaks to be able to install Snow Leopard. Check out some of the Asus threads for more specifics.

I've looked at the few sites that some users refer to for P & C-States but it's kinda Greek to me... Any chance you've run across a noob step by step guide for adding these to the dsdt?

Sorry, no noob guide. All the details need to be picked out of the complicated threads.

If I get time I will put together a basic overview guide from my knowledge, but at the moment there is conversation going on in the DSDT vanilla speedstep thread and hnaks 64-bit pstate thread, by bcc9 about the correct method to calculate Fid & Vid values.. So until I understand the proper procedure any info I supply could be incorrect. Please be patient and keep your eye on my DSDT thread.

Does it just work or is there something you have to do? I've never been able to get it working on mine.

Yes. I could only wake my machine from sleep with the Power Button on the case, until I applied the first round of MasterChief's DSDT fixes from iSoprano's Gigabyte DSDT fix thread. See my post from that thread here.

Me too!!

If someone could tell me in a little more detail about P&C-states and how the modification in dsdt are made...

And what the advantages are compared to the current NullCPUPowerManagement.....

Need to judge if tweaking on a perfect running system will pay back.sad.gif

thnx

G.H.

Hi g_h :)

As I said to flyguyjake, I will put together a simple guide in time.

One of the advantages was seen with the 10.6.2 update in that I didn't have to worry about the SleepEnabler problem because I don't use it. And if SpeedStep works properly then another advantage will be power savings (therefore reduced heat) as your processor will not be working at full speed all the time.

Works great, thanks (no, win7 isn't great. it's installation sucks and all this win sucks :D - i use it just to play cod:mw2)

Glad it works for you. Well done :)

I noticed that every time I start IORegistryExplorer 2.1 (default 10.6.0 shipping version from my MacBook Pro) followed by iTunes, I either lose my USB ports (no mouse and keyboard, but the system works) or get iTunes frozen plus if I try to reboot it will hang before turning off the display (I seel the purple space login wallpaper).

Issue 2: trying the fix in LegacyHDA will get me no sound at all (I use the posted DSDT + LegacyHDA.kext to get audio) but my log may have some problems (this is with audio working without the 12th november fix):

/SNIP/

-> PS: on a clean install this doesn't happen... wonder why but I don't mind now :D

Hi poochie

Well done for sorting your problems with a clean install. You're original install must have been corrupt/changed somewhere?

My IORegistryExplorer version is 2.0. Can you supply a link to your v2.1?

Did you sort your LegacyHDA.kext problem?

Hi Blackosx,

finally i find the time to update my Hack#1 (GaEP45-DS3L), to SL

I change the GPU to a GeForce 8800 GT (it works fine and is very very clear) and i put an HD only for SL

one is with 10.5.8 and the other have Vista and Win7

i use the launch by terminal method and i dont have any Kp

but i run the TimeMachine restore and it, i think, clean and fix all

it works fine immediatly

i run in 64 bit mode and all software installed run correctly

All ok after upgrade to 10.6.1

I got a KP after reboot of the update to 10.6.2

The problem was SleepEnabler.kext in /E/E

Its necessary to delete it and replace with the new version posted by netkas here

(booting from another install)

After all works fine

thanks "great", a great job for a clean install

Hi Z4g0r

Well done with bringing your (older) hack up to date :)

Hi Z4g0r

Well done with bringing your (older) hack up to date :)

:D

now the job is tuning fine the dsdt with correct parameters

i see more changes in DSDT sleep, graph, audio, cpu speed ... more jobs and more manual and instruction to learn ...

ok, another step ...

Hi poochie

Well done for sorting your problems with a clean install. You're original install must have been corrupt/changed somewhere?

Probably something happened in a freeze while testing :(

My IORegistryExplorer version is 2.0. Can you supply a link to your v2.1?

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tnwznjymwmy

Did you sort your LegacyHDA.kext problem?

I still didn't look into it, I'll try soon, I'm in bed with flu :|

-> UPDATE: I get the same errors I posted the first time, so I won't edit the kext, as far as I know the sound is perfectly working!

PS: even though I'm using the same Extra folder ad before, this time I cannot (dunno if it may be going from F10 to F11b BIOS) wake from sleep via USB. It used to work via keyboard only (Apple old USB keyboard) and now it won't work at all. My other G31M-ES2L works like a charm with the same mouse and keyboard! Not a big deal but I cannot understand why.. my /E/E folder is like this (10.6.2):

drwxr-xr-x  10 root  wheel  340 Nov 14 19:16 .
drwxr-xr-x  10 root  wheel  340 Nov 14 22:14 ..
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel  102 Oct  1 04:31 CPUInjector.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel  102 Jul 29 18:31 LegacyHDA.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel  102 Aug 16 20:10 NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel  102 Aug 18 19:45 OpenHaltRestart.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel  102 Aug 20 09:08 PlatformUUID.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel  102 Nov  8 04:44 SleepEnabler.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel  102 Sep 23 19:37 VoodooMonitor.kext
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Sep 12 12:09 fakesmc.kext

PS: slightly offtopic: @blackosx why don't you OC you cpu a little bit? I think it's one of the main benefits of having a hackintosh! My ultracheap E3200 with single-channel DDR2 gives me 4760 points in 32bit Geekbench plus this Gigabyte boards have some nice OC features even on a 40 € board like the other one I got..consider that I got from 2.4 to 3.5 GHz rock solid using what the board recognizes as normal voltage (even though I wouldn't consider 1.28V the default VId for this CPU ihih)!

Probably something happened in a freeze while testing :D

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tnwznjymwmy

I still did'n look into it, I'll try soon, I'm in bed with flu :D

-> UPDATE: I get the same errors I posted the first time, so I won't edit the kext, as far as I know the sound is perfectly working!

PS: even though I'm using the same Extra folder ad before, this time I cannot (dunno if it may be going from F10 to F11b BIOS) wake from sleep via USB. It used to work via keyboard only (Apple old USB keyboard) and now it won't work at all. My other G31M-ES2L works like a charm with the same mouse and keyboard! Not a big deal but I cannot understand why.. my /E/E folder is like this (10.6.2):

drwxr-xr-x  10 root  wheel  340 Nov 14 19:16 .
drwxr-xr-x  10 root  wheel  340 Nov 14 22:14 ..
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel  102 Oct  1 04:31 CPUInjector.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel  102 Jul 29 18:31 LegacyHDA.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel  102 Aug 16 20:10 NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel  102 Aug 18 19:45 OpenHaltRestart.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel  102 Aug 20 09:08 PlatformUUID.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel  102 Nov  8 04:44 SleepEnabler.kext
drwxr-xr-x@  3 root  wheel  102 Sep 23 19:37 VoodooMonitor.kext
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel  102 Sep 12 12:09 fakesmc.kext

PS: slightly offtopic: @blackosx why don't you OC you cpu a little bit? I think it's one of the main benefits of having a hackintosh! My ultracheap E3200 with single-channel DDR2 gives me 4760 points in 32bit Geekbench plus this Gigabyte boards have some nice OC features even on a 40 € board like the other one I got..consider that I got from 2.4 to 3.5 GHz rock solid using what the board recognizes as normal voltage (even though I wouldn't consider 1.28V the default VId for this CPU ihih)!

Hi Poochie.

Thanks for the link to IORegistryExplorer v2.1 :)

For me, in Snow Loepard, waking from sleep with keyboard/mouse only happened once I changed my USB/UHCI & EHCI in my DSDT to how MasterChief showed in the Gigabyte DSDT Fix thread. See if that works for you?

With regard to your list of kexts in /E/E, I see you have VoodooMonitor so are you using P-States & C_States? if so, then you no longer need NullCPUPowerManagement.kext & SleepEnabler.kext.

As for overclocking, I have never really looked in to it deeply and to be honest I don't really understand it properly. If you could show me a couple of simple things like changes to the FSB etc. then I might give it go. But as far as adjusting memory timing etc. I am completely lost.. I am only using the stock intel cooler on my E7300 and current CPU temps, with P-States, are reading 41C, and they can go up to around 48C when I push the system.

Hi Poochie.

Thanks for the link to IORegistryExplorer v2.1 :wacko:

For me, in Snow Loepard, waking from sleep with keyboard/mouse only happened once I changed my USB/UHCI & EHCI in my DSDT to how MasterChief showed in the Gigabyte DSDT Fix thread. See if that works for you?

With regard to your list of kexts in /E/E, I see you have VoodooMonitor so are you using P-States & C_States? if so, then you no longer need NullCPUPowerManagement.kext & SleepEnabler.kext.

As for overclocking, I have never really looked in to it deeply and to be honest I don't really understand it properly. If you could show me a couple of simple things like changes to the FSB etc. then I might give it go. But as far as adjusting memory timing etc. I am completely lost.. I am only using the stock intel cooler on my E7300 and current CPU temps, with P-States, are reading 41C, and they can go up to around 48C when I push the system.

So those fixes are not included in your default F11b AML? I'm updating the rig with a Q8400+9500GT and casing it, I'll try then.

VoodooMonitor is only used to check the current clock and the Cpu core temperature, not for speedstepping (for the moment).

OCing is really easy, but I suggest using windows for this (64 bit to test the system and be 100% sure it's rock solid).

First of all if you want a quick result you don't need to mind about ram timings, you can even keep the default ones, what matters is keeping the memory freq (via the divider) in a range you know it's stable (like not over ddr2 800 which actually means 200 MHz) and upping the FSB until you see that the cpu is not stable anymore. Even on stock cooling as long as you don't change voltages (or don't change them much) the temperature increase will vary depending on the clocks, but will never be dangerous at all as the cpus fry at 95+ °C and you'll try never to push them over 75°C during the heaviest workload (which is known to be the Linx [Linpack] test @ 64 bits). You can consider yourself stable when you pass at least 30 linx tests with as much ram as possible using 64 bits and then just lower a few FSB notches just in case and then do heavy testing with whatever you want and as long as you want, 99% of the time that will just do and the nice part is that if it's stable at load speedstep won't get proportionally more instable than that, so you're usually safe.

BlackOSX, maybe you can help me fix my usb mouse hybernation issue with p35c-ds3r.

I use an apple keyboard and a mighty mouse. When i connect the mouse to the keyboard usb port, it works after waking up from hibernation. When it is connected to a motherboard usb port, it doesn't work. I could notice also that my usb flash drives are recognized after waking up from hibernation, but my Bluetooth usb dongle isn't.

What king of problem do I have here. Some usb devices works, others doesn't!!!! Am I missing anything?

Sorry. I am a noob! And my English sucks! Sorry again.

Wake from USB still doesn't work for me after doing the USB mods, but it's because of my aluminum keyboard. I haven't tried with another one, but I'm confident that's the problem. My mouse is plugged into the keyboard as well.

I don't think you are alone with this issue. The new keyboards somehow work differently.

So those fixes are not included in your default F11b AML? I'm updating the rig with a Q8400+9500GT and casing it, I'll try then.

No. My DSDT thread is fairly old now (although I am trying to bring it more up to date when I can find time), and the F11b DSDT was made using the details in my DSDT guide. So that's using ACPIPatcher, with the BIOS file from Gigabyte, to apply the basic fixes (Local0, WAK etc.) and the Audio HDEF patch. Then I have manually applied the CMOS, SATA & EHCI USB port fixes which are in the guide and this will then be sufficient to give you a working system.

Since I made my guide though, MasterChief has been working with Gigabyte users to help make our DSDT's cleaner more streamlined and more like a real Apple DSDT. It's by doing this that things like the whole USB section has been revised and therefore has the result of allowing wake from sleep from keyboard & mouse. I though about adding this fix to my guide but it's just not a simple copy & paste, it need writing up properly and I just haven't had time to do it.

VoodooMonitor is only used to check the current clock and the Cpu core temperature, not for speedstepping (for the moment).

Okay. That's fine then.

OCing is really easy, but I suggest using windows for this (64 bit to test the system and be 100% sure it's rock solid).

First of all if you want a quick result you don't need to mind about ram timings, you can even keep the default ones, what matters is keeping the memory freq (via the divider) in a range you know it's stable (like not over ddr2 800 which actually means 200 MHz) and upping the FSB until you see that the cpu is not stable anymore. Even on stock cooling as long as you don't change voltages (or don't change them much) the temperature increase will vary depending on the clocks, but will never be dangerous at all as the cpus fry at 95+ C and you'll try never to push them over 75C during the heaviest workload (which is known to be the Linx [Linpack] test @ 64 bits). You can consider yourself stable when you pass at least 30 linx tests with as much ram as possible using 64 bits and then just lower a few FSB notches just in case and then do heavy testing with whatever you want and as long as you want, 99% of the time that will just do and the nice part is that if it's stable at load speedstep won't get proportionally more instable than that, so you're usually safe.

Thanks for that. Again, when I get time I will have a play and report back. :)

BlackOSX, maybe you can help me fix my usb mouse hybernation issue with p35c-ds3r.

I use an apple keyboard and a mighty mouse. When i connect the mouse to the keyboard usb port, it works after waking up from hibernation. When it is connected to a motherboard usb port, it doesn't work. I could notice also that my usb flash drives are recognized after waking up from hibernation, but my Bluetooth usb dongle isn't.

What king of problem do I have here. Some usb devices works, others doesn't!!!! Am I missing anything?

Sorry. I am a noob! And my English sucks! Sorry again.

I don't know. Do other users of the P35C-DS3R have the same problems? is it a common issue with your mobo?

If your mouse still works, after hibernation, when connected to the keyboard then stick with using that. Maybe your bluetooth dongle isn't properly supported? or maybe your DSDT needs the USB section tweaking. Have you tried the USB fixes at the start of the Gigabyte DSDT fixes thread?

Take your time, and remember that we have to choose our hardware to fit OS X for it to work properly, some hardware just doesn't work properly. DSDT can be used to fix some issues but not all. And also, this is a hobby for most of us so be prepared to play around to get things working. If we wanted a machine that just worked then we would buy a real Mac?